Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2218 2219 [2220] 2221 2222 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096085 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33285 on: February 26, 2014, 12:22:31 am »

I just got the magma forges set up, finally, and became a mountainhome within the same season. Next up: Going for some candy.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33286 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:18 am »

Some stuff just happen so UPDATE
Berkilrud,62
43 44 Bastards...
Just started building more room for my craft-level, such as gem-cutter shop and Gem workshop
Also got my first artifact, an silver long-sword, WOOOOOOO
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also elf's cavern has just come and don't have alot to trade with (Just stone and the odd item, got some wood due to the badland having nothing in the way of wood)
TON of thiefs are trying to get in...
...And now 2 necromancer just attack one after each other, one is dead and the other I was able to get caught in an cage

Well this is getting better and worst right now, will update when more stuff happen

Edit:Oh Armok, more migrants...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:07:55 am by Evilsx »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33287 on: February 26, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

Right, the volcano/river embark just wasn't working out. embark area was too big, resulting in a slow FPS. Plus, I want a river that freezes in winter and shallow metals, close to a goblin tower. Time to gen a new world.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33288 on: February 26, 2014, 04:57:24 am »

I restarted many time for many reasons but the main one was because of starvation.
Finally with some turkey I managed to made it and grow my fortress.
I started to take a look at the military feature but got discouraged by the workshops and all the pieces of armors I've to make.
Worse, I don't have iron but gold but I can't make gold armor like in Saint Seiya, lol!! XD

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33289 on: February 26, 2014, 05:11:37 am »

I restarted many time for many reasons but the main one was because of starvation.
Finally with some turkey I managed to made it and grow my fortress.
I started to take a look at the military feature but got discouraged by the workshops and all the pieces of armors I've to make.
Worse, I don't have iron but gold but I can't make gold armor like in Saint Seiya, lol!! XD
Same here, all I got right now is silver and lead which is GOOD for weapons but I expect not so well as wearing lead might cause problems :P

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33290 on: February 26, 2014, 05:22:49 am »

Hamlet Pricetrades, Late Spring 204; 70 beards

... Vucar Holymanor is... officially a buggy little girl.

Spoiler: The shit. (click to show/hide)

Is that why she managed to distract the goblins so effectively? Because she technically isn't born yet?

Savegame. I should really report this bug, but I don't know what I should report it as...
Please elaborate on the buggy baby. Has she actually been born yet? first of all. Also, it is good to see that someone other than myself turns on female beards.

Her supposed birthday is 22nd Galena 204, but she arrived in the migrant wave in the mid-Summer of 203. It's now 26th Felsite 205 (in my save, not the uploaded one).  She is appearing as 1 year old and a child. She has an older brother born in 200, and two younger brothers born on 23 Felsite 204 and 24th Obsidian 204.

Also, how good is an artifact black bronze battle axe?
Your first screenshot of her has her at one years old. Your second screenshot has her at negative 100 days.

So the bug seems to be that her birthday changed after she was born.

No it didn't; at least, not where I could see it. A non-buggy beardling is one year old; Vucar is one years. Also, the first screenshot has the exact same birthday.

Sounds like a growthfix bug.

Might be! I'unno. Never seen anything like that before.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33291 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:52 am »

Lielac, just accept that you have a time-travelling child hypersoldier.

And whatever you do, DON'T FIX HER.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33292 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:05 am »

Lielac, just accept that you have a time-travelling child hypersoldier.

And whatever you do, DON'T FIX HER.

-cackle- Will do! When I get back to Pricetrades, anyway. In the meantime I'm going to keep plodding away at Laborfords.

City Laborfords, Early Winter 238; 184 dwarves, 65 artifacts

Is an artifact copper mace particularly useful for more than making my dining hall even more legendary than most whole fortresses?

P.S.: 2,093,100☼ total created wealth. Hehehehehehehehehe.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:49:48 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33293 on: February 26, 2014, 06:03:40 am »

Zombie Siege! 128 corpses vs. a single FB flamethrower *grabs popcorn*

15th Obsidian: Man, corpses are fire-resistant! Dwarves and goblins die from a direct fireball in about 30 seconds, 25 seconds of being on fire followed by very quick melting. These guys are taking forever, going through "bleeding" and "burned" phases. Stozu is firing 3 fireballs at once but it isn't quite the massacre it was with the goblins.

28th Obsidian: I'll let the zombies path into the fort, hopefully this will create a better killing zone. Stozu to set them on fire, marksdwarves to deal with the survivors, and the melee dwarves to finish off anything that's left to be dumped in the pit. The only thing I need to avoid is a melee dwarf charge.

1st Granite: Elf diplomat arrives, is torn to pieces by dwarf corpses. Heh. And he's now another zombie. Dwarf turns moody and there's rotting cheese in the kitchen. Both can take care of themselves for now.

2nd Granite: A path is opened into the fortress and the first zombies wander in.

4th Granite: The necromancer strays too close and is caught by a dozen bolts. So no reanimations to worry about. Unless there's another one of course..

5th Granite: Ok yep. Another necromancer.

Ok seriously just melt already! 2 pages of this.

8th Granite: Another 2 necromancers appear. The air around Stozu's firing line has now got so hot it is catching on fire instead of just leaving a trail of smoke. Either that or the smoke itself is catching fire..

11th Granite: Lorbam the suicidal farmer decides to take a stroll in the woods in spite of burrows, forgotten beasts and all the zombies. Somehow he manages to walk through the front lines unscathed. Usually one look at the forgotten beast is enough to send dwarves scurrying back inside but not this time.. maybe the smoke has blinded him, or he's eaten too much of the rotten alpaca cheese.

16th Granite: Melbil, a Hammerlord and one of the starting 7, decides to run outside to fight for some reason. He racks up 30 zombie kills, then runs back inside, avoiding being hit by friendly FB fire. Madness. The farmer is still running around trying to get back in I think. Now a child wanders outside. Double-checking burrows doesn't show anything.

17th Granite: Down to a single page of corpses, half of them on fire. 2 necromancers are dead and the other 2 have disappeared.

Clean up time... Stozu is locked up and I ready the melee dwarves.

Better check on that moody dwarf... he is screaming "I must have bones!" ... in the middle of a necromancer siege. Perfect timing. We'll slaughter a horse and hope for the best. This better be good!

And it's all over bar the cleanup. There's a small pile of burning "alive" corpses, but they don't seem capable of movement. And sure enough, they've burned to a crisp by 1st Slate. So they took about a month to burn, instead of about a day like a normal dwarf or goblin.

So I guess that sort of worked. Most of the kills were by marksdwarf but the burned ones did burn up in the end, leaving no bodies for cleanup! A longer killing zone would work better, the ones that got "boxed in" and took a lot of fire ended up stuck and burning, the ones that had a quick path got through. So with some simple wall placement the next siege might be burned completely.

And after all that what did the moody dwarf come up with to commemorate this great victory?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33294 on: February 26, 2014, 06:06:49 am »

I captured a giant cave spider. What do I do with it?

Also, look at the FPS in this picture. Pretty fast...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33295 on: February 26, 2014, 06:19:04 am »

I captured a giant cave spider. What do I do with it?

Silk farm.

City Laborfords, Early Winter 238; 184 dwarves

I can't fleeping read numbers some days. 2 million dwarfbucks? MEH. It was 21 million. And now it's higher, because legendary weapon and armorsmiths forging away.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33296 on: February 26, 2014, 06:26:14 am »

I can't fleeping read numbers some days. 2 million dwarfbucks? MEH. It was 21 million. And now it's higher, because legendary weapon and armorsmiths forging away.

You have plants that aren't booze yet? What are you, some kind of elf?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33297 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:32 am »

You have plants that aren't booze yet? What are you, some kind of elf?

Thank you for reminding me that I really need to make more stills.

... Or rather, more rock pots. -sigh- Bloody dwarves.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:38:26 am by Lielac »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33298 on: February 26, 2014, 02:48:34 pm »

Zombie Siege! 128 corpses vs. a single FB flamethrower *grabs popcorn*

. . .

And after all that what did the moody dwarf come up with to commemorate this great victory?
Actually, that's rather appropriate. Wet the veil in water & put it on before charging into the flames, and it will help keep the smoke from getting into your eyes, lungs, and beard.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33299 on: February 26, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »

@fortdayweekend Say, what texture pack are you using, looks nicer than the one I'm using now...

Also, as an update, I had a squad of 10 dwarfs, 8 of them legendary and 2 new recruits and various groups of legendary or less, plus a full marksdwarf squad. Goblin siege, they slaughter the caravan I'd been waiting for years, so I send my troops in, should be no issue, since they had single handedly defeated a previous siege with war jabberers and cave dragons and elite bowmen in it without as much as a casualty(the 2 fools who fell in the river don't count as casualties, they count as fools, seriously, avoid 500 arrows to the face without as much as a scratch, slaughter 50 goblins without getting tired and fall into the river and die?!).
Now, I watched the goblins get close to my fort when I notice one of my freaking soldiers HAULING something IN FRONT OF THE GOBLIN ARMY, in spite of the burrows, in spite of the active orders, in spite of the alert, in spite of common sense, in spite of his military training and in spite of the entire world!!! Of course he gets slaughtered, as he also had refused to done his armor, why would he listen to an equipment order when he refused a station order, so he was half naked.
Another freaking legendary refuses all orders and common sense and goes to get some equipment from the other side of the map where some ambushing trolls find him and proceed to kill him of course.
Now, if that's not enough, my two new recruits FOR NO REASON AT ALL refuse to gather up in the courtyard, and when the army is on the move halfway across the map they get caught by the freaking trolls and one is killed, the other somehow survives in a really bad shape, thankfully, one of my elite hammerlords had also run late and killed most of those pests along with the marksdwarves who for some reason (the entire 10 of them) had also run late, and were just minding their own business doing anything but listening to orders so they eventually help out as well.
Trying to hunt the remaining trolls I rally my troops in the courtyard, when I notice the (surviving) new dudes randomly go off to "pick some equipment" from right under the trolls faces!!. Also, some freaking peasants COMPLETELY ignoring ALL BURROW and ALERT orders and going about their business towards the trolls....

Seems using the danger room is not an exploit at all, I still lost 5 freaking dwarfs because they don't listen to any orders or done their equipment....sigh....I'll just surround my fort with traps and stay inside during the next siege...
Anyone got any advice for making the military listen? Or at least some useful trap designs. Are serrated disk with lever repeater traps all around my entrances good enough to kill off a siege?

Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 2218 2219 [2220] 2221 2222 ... 3842