Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2212 2213 [2214] 2215 2216 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095071 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33195 on: February 22, 2014, 02:47:26 am »

Oh, goblin siege. Fortunately I can lock down the fort's entrance, and for some reason the greenskins aren't actually firing back at my marksdwarves, who are pelting them with =dog bone bolts= while elevated quite a distance away amid a maze of minecart tracks suspended in the air.

The gobbos brought little more than bowmen, so I managed to get rid of 40 or so of them by sending out only my top three axedwarves, who are lords at this point — a risky gambit, certainly, but my assumption that they can block/dodge all bolts not shot by crossbowmasters has so far held up. Even the recruits are doing fairly well; their masterwork steel armor and multiple-layer-robe seems to let them tank shots with only minor bruising even if they can't dodge well.

My top legendary fighter/axedwarf appears to be wrestling an entire group of trolls; she's just knocked one out by kicking it in the toe. Meanwhile, an unskilled swordsdwarf  is still somehow not getting hit by two trolls at once, though he can't strike back... All in all, just one death — an unskilled axedwarf whose replacement is already pulling the bloodstained weapon from the hands of his predecessor.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33196 on: February 22, 2014, 03:05:00 am »

Village Shieldfuture, Early Autumn 509; 51 beards

One of the Beachtool boys, Eshtan, was hit by a secretive mood in Galena. And he wanted yarn cloth. The only yarn cloth on the map is outside... so I'm letting him go out on a probably-suicide mission. I bet one ☼pig tail fiber sock☼ he finds an ambush for me.

Edit, 2 in-game days later: :o He survived! Actually, he got back into the fort before the post finished being submitted.

Edit2, 3rd Timber: My trick for pulling off a mad dash like this (I also did it for rescuing a sheep) is to find what I want to grab, unforbid *only* that, apply a single-tile addition to my STAY INSIDE burrow, and pray to Armok.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:17:39 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
« Reply #33197 on: February 22, 2014, 03:24:46 am »

Well, after reverting to the last auto-save, I managed to prevent my king's untimely death. Since then, I have waited. He came in as a vampire, but his wife was not. In order to get him down in his room, I made his wife a squad leader and added him to her squad, then forced them into the room, locked it and disbanded the squad.

So he had his wife with him. I wondered if he would spare her life if he ever craved for blood... He did not. I found her, completely drained of blood in her bed. The heartless bastard.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33198 on: February 22, 2014, 03:52:09 am »

Village Shieldfuture, Winter 509; 52 beards

I successfully traded with the dwarven caravan for the first time since 501, and grabbed some silk and wool from them as well as a touch of food to diversify all these roasted omelets. (994 blue peahen eggs. 739 turkey hen eggs. dEAR GOD WE'RE DROWNING IN EGGS HELP)

I also requested a ram from them at highest urgency; even if I don't bother to let them in next year, I have an ewe and I'm 99% certain that caged animals still send out spores. Now all I need is a GCS or a web-spinning FB and I'll be completely self-sufficient!

... Except for shells. Nobody is ever self-sufficient enough to not run out of shells.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33199 on: February 22, 2014, 05:06:09 am »

My baron has a chained minotaur in their office, and my melee squad is equipped with adamantine helms. I got a good feeling about things. It'd be nice to get another goblin siege.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33200 on: February 22, 2014, 12:48:02 pm »

My baron has a chained minotaur in their office, and my melee squad is equipped with adamantine helms. I got a good feeling about things. It'd be nice to get another goblin siege.

Better be careful when hosting diplomats. I had a satyr chained in my duchess' quarters, until he got himself a name, by scoring enough goring attacks on a grabbed outpost liaison that the liaison passed out from pain. I don't know what diplomats' attitude is towards minotaurs, but i wouldn't bet a (willow puzzlebox) on a dwarf diplomat who decided to wrestle one of those. (O.k., maybe i would, because seriously, why would i want to keep a (willow puzzlebox)?)

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33201 on: February 22, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »

Watching helplessly while my fort is being wiped out by a badly managed smallpox outbreak is so much !!FUN!!. I'm using Masterwork mod obviously, and diseases are such a cozy addition.
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #33202 on: February 22, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

Oi, another goblin siege! This one was broken by a well-placed wicked mist cloud, though; their general and his squad got turned into a husk and everyone ran off the map.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33203 on: February 22, 2014, 06:16:38 pm »

i've reclaimed a fort this morning!!! :D currently,not much is going on,but i really have a problem with those ENORMOUS migrant waves coming every year.the last one was 63 immingrants,mostly lye makers,children and potash makers(and with my luck,i bet there will be a vampire too,although i might as well let it kill some dwarfs before i get rid of it,anything to help with the overpopulation).

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33204 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:24 pm »

Finally got Stozu the one-eyed sauropod (beware its fire!) installed in his pillbox

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The design is a little clunky but it works well - one of the hunters wandered within line of sight through the unfinished corner, and had time to take one shot before being hit by 4 fireballs. Most of the lower z-levels are now burning, though it hasn't so far spread up any ramps.

I went to engrave a slab for the hunter but somehow she's still alive - though naked apart from a pair of leather shoes and her crossbow! She is "fat" which I guess might have helped. Every other dwarf that Stozu has set on fire has completely melted within a few seconds.

Now just waiting for a siege to test it on..
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33205 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:56 pm »

Better be careful when hosting diplomats. I had a satyr chained in my duchess' quarters, until he got himself a name, by scoring enough goring attacks on a grabbed outpost liaison that the liaison passed out from pain. I don't know what diplomats' attitude is towards minotaurs, but i wouldn't bet a (willow puzzlebox) on a dwarf diplomat who decided to wrestle one of those. (O.k., maybe i would, because seriously, why would i want to keep a (willow puzzlebox)?)

That's awesome.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33206 on: February 22, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

once the last of the enlightened goblins make it to the underground, I'll begin my final battle.

human caravan! guess this'll have to wait.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33207 on: February 22, 2014, 11:22:02 pm »

Well the first goblin siege turned up with 15 melee goblins, Stozu's bridges were lowered, fireballs were thrown, and a couple minutes later, 13 of them had melted away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The corpses have disappeared completely and most of their clothing has burned up - there's just neat piles of swords and whips and armour. Very convenient.

He may not last too long against ranged fire though. He takes a while to get warmed up (so to speak) and burning doesn't kill creatures immediately so archers can get a few shots in before they die. He's already injured from various dwarf encounters so a few goblin bowmen might finish him off.

Necro sieges are where I think he'll really show his use, if he can keep burning corpses so they can't reanimate I might have the perfect automated zombie defense.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33208 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:39 am »

‼Village Shieldfuture, Late Autumn 511; 60 48 46 43 40 38 37 35 33 29 26 1 beards

Okay. So I got bored and decided to set one of the surface trees on fire just to see what happened. Then I set everything on fire, trees and shrubs, for completeness's sake.

I forgot, of course, that there are trees and shrubs in my first soil layer. And in the apiary.

Oops.

I've lost Eral Skinnedclasps the Matriarch, and Ingish Tempteddyes the husband of Tulon Sculptpaints the Matriarch.

I'm going to deserve whatever tantrum spiral I get, aren't I?

Edit, 23rd Timber: MY FIRST FELL MOOD! -CACKLE-

26th Timber: The kidlet grabbed a ghost! -cackle- And I've lost 14 dwarves in total.

22nd Moonstone: 16 deaths.

28th Moonstone: 19...

12th Opal: 22, and I'm down to 3 adults.

2nd Obsidian: 24, down to 2 adults.

7th Obsidian: 25. 1 adult left, and he's miserable. With water and the food I have the kids *might* survive until adulthood. Maybe. If they don't finish their Lord of the Flies re-enactment. One kid -- the one who went fell, actually -- is ecstatic and at 982, so he might survive this relatively unscathed. Y'know. If he lives for six whole years. He's clearly a psychopath, though, so he might.

8th Obsidian: Oop, apparently it's 26. Lorbam Passagewalls is still alive, though.

23rd Obsidian: 28. Lorbam still alive. I've turned on the Yakety Sax.

12th Granite, 512: We're all doomed. I just remembered my clothier shop was in the soil layer, so all the clothing burned.

Also, 30 deaths. Lorbam still hanging in there.

8th Slate: This is so *boring* without being able to dispense justice properl-- o wait I can draft the mayor into a squad ahahahahahaahahahahah wait one sec

11th Moonstone: -sigh- He didn't kill anyone. Or dispense *any* justice, actually. Fukkit, I'm gonna let in the FBs in the basement. That should crumble this fortresss quick enough.

9th Opal: Down to 2 dwarves and the FBs are having trouble finding them. No, wait, one just got offed. One left!

?????, probably Opal: Aaaaaand Tosid Balancerocks finally dehydrated to death.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:44:14 am by Lielac »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33209 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:20 am »

‼Village Shieldfuture, Late Autumn 511; 60 48 46 43 40 38 37 35 33 29 26 1 beards

Okay. So I got bored and decided to set one of the surface trees on fire just to see what happened. Then I set everything on fire, trees and shrubs, for completeness's sake.

For my own safety, I hope I never meet you in real life.

:P
Pages: 1 ... 2212 2213 [2214] 2215 2216 ... 3842