Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2209 2210 [2211] 2212 2213 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094646 times)

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33150 on: February 19, 2014, 03:57:26 am »

I have gobbos in cages. Nearly 30 of them thanks to about 3 successive sieges. I had another siege and as three troops of gobbos and one troop of trolls are sitting outside (some of them in cages as they walked into the cage traps.) I happily take the moment to start running my captives through the butchering pen where they are stripped of their weapons and either shot or pummeled. I like to think the guys outside my fort ran away not because I hide behind some fortifications and fired bolts at them but instead they ran away upon hearing the terrified screaming of my victims. XD
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33151 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:50 am »

EDIT 2: Ah, the dust insta-blinds. One the one hand, that's horrible. On the other — FUNCTIONAL SIEGE OPERATORS.

Don't get too excited just yet. According to the only empiric report i'm aware of, loading speed of blind siege operators goes way down. You can compensate by blinding _many_ siege operators and building _many_ siege engines, or you can compensate by setting up your ballista battery properly (i.e. with 20+ tiles distance from any possible enemies) and making sure your siege operators can see.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33152 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »

The dwarves of Pigtold have discovered clans!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Little Olin Oslancog is named after his grandmother, who recently died after a protracted firefight with goblins. After having her shield arm damaged, she sustained a few fractures before being finished off by a stray headshot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33153 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »

So, I must ask a question.
Does fort mode currently work like this?
And if you drop a tooth from a bar fight in a different room with some relatives, nobody will care, but if you later go and kill the former owner of the tooth, then you'll hear people cry out in the distance as long as they are still on the map, since they'll suddenly recognize the tooth as belonging to somebody deceased.
For finding the deceased, not the emotional reactions bit.

Because if so, a setup could be made similar to a lever-puller's room, but for a dwarf in a room full of teeth or fingers or other miscellaneous body parts, and they could immediately find whenever a dwarf dies.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33154 on: February 19, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

Don't know, haven't played that version yet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33155 on: February 19, 2014, 07:19:52 pm »

And if you drop a tooth from a bar fight in a different room with some relatives, nobody will care, but if you later go and kill the former owner of the tooth, then you'll hear people cry out in the distance as long as they are still on the map, since they'll suddenly recognize the tooth as belonging to somebody deceased.

Because if so, a setup could be made similar to a lever-puller's room, but for a dwarf in a room full of teeth or fingers or other miscellaneous body parts, and they could immediately find whenever a dwarf dies.

I don't think so, seems they have to find the main corpse. Shouldn't be too hard to do a quick test on it.

Found out that the human diplomat is a slow loris demon, which unsurprisingly, moves slowly. I was a bit surprised when the diplomat interaction box came up and it said the diplomat was a diety. For a second, I thought my Baron was communing with one of his gods or something.

It's not one of those FUN demons though, special attack is a poison sting.

Started work on the transcenance chamber (well, drop into the eerie pit chamber) and since DF doesn't want to construct an up stairs at the bottom layer under the down stairs, I'm having to make a floor and go the long way. Going to use a slade boulder for the support just because I can.

Don't know, haven't played that version yet.

I think he meant right now.
« Reply #33156 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »

I don't think so, seems they have to find the main corpse. Shouldn't be too hard to do a quick test on it.

I had one of my soldiers lose his hand and then chased some enemies off the map and never returned. When I ended the alert so the rest of my dwarves could go outside, they found him dead when they picked up his severed hand, and then put the hand in a coffin.

I think they will only discover them as being dead if the body part is something they can bury, and I've never seen them burying teeth; they just keep them in the corpse stock pile, even if the rest of the body has been laid to rest.

EDIT: on another note, I got my little brother playing DF now (I should thank Spacefox for that; his tileset changes nearly everything into an image so you can just visually see what's going on and I do believe that helps a lot of people out with DF) and he just sent me this:

12:26 PM - › Comrade Fellynx ☭ | MoS |: omg I had to abandon my fort.
12:27 PM - › Comrade Fellynx ☭ | MoS |: it was attacked by a bunch of giant gray langur, and only one dude survived, but he got his only tool stuck in a wound fighting them.
12:27 PM - › Comrade Fellynx ☭ | MoS |: so he couldnt do anything.

I told him, "That sounds like a lot of !FUN!"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:13:45 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33157 on: February 19, 2014, 09:48:08 pm »

Outpost Shieldfuture, Spring 501: 7 6 beards

I wonder if 33 z's is enough to explode armored, falling goblins...

Ahem. New fortress, after a long period faffing about not playing DF. First two migrant waves are the only ones I'll accept, all other beards will be homegrown, yaddayaddayadda no clay or sand pfeh.

My caverns start at 31 z's below the surface and -34 is the lowest I can drop a 31x4 pit. Does anyone have science on when things reliably gib? Back in 0.31.16 I made a 24-z pit that exploded 55 cats into a pile of dismembered parts, but those are unarmored targets.

Edit, FELSITE 28TH:

We couldn't. Go. A goddamn SEASON. Without somebody dying. Litast Crewtrumpets, the female miner, died at the age of 50 in a mining accident. She channeled out a pillar of rock beneath herself and landed on her head. Somehow. I AM UNIMPRESSED.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:48:47 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33158 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »

As far as I know, 25 z levels are the minimum to reliably gib stuff. Just what I heard at one point, I never actually had a pit capable of gibbing stuff, so I never really tried it out. It seems like that'd be a good estimate to shoot for though. Googling "dwarf fortress drop tower" brought up an old thread from 2009 saying 15z was enough. Bear in mind it was an older version.

Feel free to dig out the pit and drop a goblin to see if 34z is enough, though. No kill like overkill.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33159 on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »

^ Height requirement for gibs has increased substantially, since gravity was re-worked. I think it was reported that ten levels used to be enough, while now it's about 25. Last time i had a deep drop shaft, it was 35 deep and everything thrown in there came apart upon landing.

Blamelesscloister:
Shit, i need to deactivate goblin seasons again. 42 adults just cannot keep up with the ridiculous garbage bombardment of four "sieges" per year. Not to mention that without traders getting through, we can't even get rid of this glut of useless crap.

Just to annoy me even more than usual, the last siege was rather unexpected (didn't know i had lifted restrictions), so a bunch of trolls managed to sprint over the bridge beside the grinder, giving them access into the machinery, so they thoroughly smashed the gears and rollers before wandering into the weapon traps. Since the rollers were partially built on ice and unfrozen via construct/deconstruct bug which i couldn't get working again, i had to rip out _all_ rollers, wait for the dwarfs to shift the mountains of goblinite that were clogging the places, build track underneath,  _rebuild_ all the rollers, reconnect. Yeah, it took a full damn season to get the grinder functional again, by which time the one goblin squad that was actually interested in sieging us had gotten bored and wandered off, the other had once again managed to get part of their crew caught behind the trench, so it was time for military action again. I better build a bridge instead of the stupid hatch covers - building destroyers inevitably catch themselves by destroying them.

In short - blargh.

At least the designated architect is finally listed with Architect as profession. Oh yeah, and i dumped the stupid caught war animals (four cave dragons and about a dozen giant olms and ~ bats) into the caverns. Let them have fun with the forgotten beasts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:22:24 pm by Larix »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #33160 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »

Just finished massive 50+ stop minecart route for unloading goods from the trade depot.

I'm starting some mega projects as my military is wiping the floor with invaders. Although my marksdwarves are way below the curve.

I've got a 1-2k amount of gold bars so I'm thinking about a giant gold statue... maybe a giant sphincter(Civ is Guild of bowels).  Maybe a giant dragon or spider or something like that. 

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
« Reply #33161 on: February 20, 2014, 12:41:07 am »

Human caravan arrived, and, just like with the elves, I am immediately ambushed by 5 puny goblins. While my gate guards were obliterating them, this happen:

I... I've never had anything other than your normal dwarf/human/elf diplomat. Should I try to apprehend this guy and lock him in the dungeon?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it seems he is a God.

Should I be worried?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:43:57 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33162 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:59 am »

He's just an deamon who used human natural mess of laws to declare himself as their god and leader.
Nothing to worry about, he's just your average modern politician. No difference.
Unless he losses or gasses out some necrotic stuff while walking, then you should possible be worried.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33163 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:17 am »

A fireball-throwing FB turned up. After sending a couple of expendable marksdwarves scientists down in an experiment to see how powerful it was, we've retreated and sealed off the cavern. The plus side of bodies completely melting is the saving on coffins. I even got to reuse their clothing somehow.

So I could probably finish it off with another couple of marksdwarves as they're doing decent damage. The fireballs pretty much guarantee death for any dwarf that gets close though, and there's not enough line of sight in the cavern to keep a safe distance.

The other option I was thinking was to lure it up to a defensive position on the surface and use fortifications and bridges to control its line of sight, to basically have a fixed flame-thrower as part of the siege defenses. Does anyone have any advice in terms of making this work? What's the max range of a fireball? What's the best bait to get an FB moving?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33164 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:02 am »

Fireballs can be aimed at about 15 tiles but will travel further once fired. FBs will move for certain when they have a path to your whole fort.
Pages: 1 ... 2209 2210 [2211] 2212 2213 ... 3842