Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2204 2205 [2206] 2207 2208 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095562 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33075 on: February 12, 2014, 12:13:10 am »

Welp, that escalated quickly.  Everything was going fine in Brainstandards until I noticed one of the miners wasn't actually mining - he was just sitting outside, not moving.  He didn't look hurt but refused to move, so then I reloaded the game and suddenly EVERYTHING was bruised and bleeding.  The entire fort quickly suffocated/bled out/something.

Glitchy syndromes, huzzah.  So weird that the syndrome didn't actually take effect until a reload - the entirety of the fort was working fine until they were forced to re-evaluate themselves and then suddenly DEATH.

Quote from: Michael J. Caboose
I'm going to stop standing up now. *dead*

And now, after a long Wakfu-induced hiatus...

~Oblivionguard~

So the dwarven caravan arrived (second year) and decided that the best way to my fort...

...was down the entire length of the river  ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:16:21 am by Lolfail0009 »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33076 on: February 12, 2014, 06:10:55 am »

~Oblivionguard, Year 2~

The caverns have been breached and on all occasions have been isolated and left alone, bar the first cavern which is heavily trapped with cages. Much further down, numerous exploratory tunnels have been dug, allowing the miners to roughly gauge the size and shape of the magma sea before puncturing it from the top, twice. Two veins of Adamantine have been found, but have been left the fuck alone after what happened to Graniteechoes. An area is being excavated for magma forges and our best scholars have been poring over ancient texts by an Overseer of old known only as "WanderingKid" that detail a way to quickly transport ore to the smelters and bars back to the main storage area.

Imports of bismuth, tin and their respective ores, along with lignite and bituminous coal, have proved very helpful to our smelting industry as it is, but we hope the magma will heighten our efficiency even further.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33077 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:08 am »

The "captured underground minecart" bug is actually systematic, not random. On the downside, this means _every attempt to write 'false' to any bit at all_ results in a caught cart. Returning them to properly inactive would require first setting the bit position on, then clearing the memory.

On the upside, caught carts return to the proper inactive position by themselves when a second 'false' is written, or if the 'write' signal's off arrives late enough, and this return to proper position is as reliable as the move to the improper position in the first case. So it's controllable and can be worked around by sending an extra 'write', or by extending the 'on' (by sending the cart through a short loop) when writing. Of course, it makes the memory controller even messier. And working this out cost me one dwarven child and a cheetah cub, one child got off with several broken bones.

We won't get any negotiated goods from the dwarfs this year - the negotiations failed because the liaison decided getting beaten up by the satyr was more important, got grabbed and wrestled and eventually took enough damage to pass out and get brain-punched. I got the satyr caged and installed in the chamber where the liaison's buried. It seems that a wild chained creature automatically gets caught when a cage trap is constructed on the tile where it stands. Kind of makes up for the impossibility to assign a chained wild creature to a cage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33078 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:18 pm »

Currently smoothing the whole inside of the demon fort (whats the spoiler name used for it?) so that I can punch a non-labrynthine access way through the labrynthine passages.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33079 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »

Currently smoothing the whole inside of the demon fort (whats the spoiler name used for it?) so that I can punch a non-labrynthine access way through the labrynthine passages.

In-game they are Curious Underground Structures. I've also seen them called Circus Tents.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33080 on: February 12, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »

In-game they are Curious Underground Structures. I've also seen them called Circus Tents.

I thought Circus Tent was spoiler for hell itself?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33081 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:15 pm »

No, that's just the circus.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33082 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:04 am »

Gah, fifteen adults just aren't enough to even keep up with my food production. I haven't had an idler in years and the miasma stayed in the kitchen area throughout spring. Chicks have been hatching every year because no-one could be arsed to pick up the eggs in time.

In better news, we have a _huge_ adamantine pillar, and the first 26 out of 81 levels have been harvested. The elves have brought a tigerman animal caretaker, who's now a happy member of the fort. The marksdwarf squad is slowly training up, and i installed a horned great owl corpse in a side room of the archery range, with fortifications so they can bolt it. The expedition leader has sixteen kills by now - sixteen great horned owl corpses; or, more precisely, the exact same skeletised great horned owl sixteen times.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33083 on: February 13, 2014, 11:48:19 am »

Legless, tailless, earless, eyeless, toothless cat thrall just smote my military. It stood there while my axedwarves and sworddwarves died of thirst. How long does it take to kill an immobile, defenceless thrall cat?

Cat thralls-1
Dwarven Military-0

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33084 on: February 13, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »

Thralls and some other nonliving creatures can only be killed by decapitation and bisection. If your dwarfs had no edged weapons, that would already guarantee failure. There's also some odd bug that makes extremely small creatures practically immune to some attacks. I've only seen it with weasels and the like becoming immune to headshots (apparently the skull is so tiny that it can't be modelled any more); i don't know if something like that can make a kitten thrall decapitation-immune.

Hmm, can non-dwarf sentients still become mayors? I have a few modded dogs (changed their names to "goblin") with talented social skills, but still some boring dwarf with weaker skills was elected, not my "stray goblin mason (tame)". Oddly enough, she was brought in with a competent liar skill which has now accumulated rust, as if she lacks the soul attributes.

Since it was so boring, i fiddled around with a machine-code-programming emulator (very basic, it simulates an eight-bit processor with 16 bytes of RAM and a maximum of sixteen instructions). I'm quite pleased with successfully producing a fibonacci-series program using increment (to prime it), read, write, add, decrement and unconditional jump as actual instructions, and making use of the fact that "clear accumulator" and "halt" are adjacent opcodes (i.e. "clear" is used as dummy command which eventually turns into "halt" after enough iterations have taken place). This could actually be implemented in an eight-instruction Dwarf Fortress computer.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33085 on: February 13, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »

All my axedwarves and sworddwarves were carrying axes and swords respectively. They had more than enough time to kill the thing, and checking the cat thrall's description, it even said:

It's brain is broken
It's brain is bruised

And a few other lines about its brain being damaged. Why is it not dead? And if decaptiation is necessary, why didn't my dwarves decapitate it?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33086 on: February 13, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »

All my axedwarves and sworddwarves were carrying axes and swords respectively. They had more than enough time to kill the thing, and checking the cat thrall's description, it even said:

It's brain is broken
It's brain is bruised

And a few other lines about its brain being damaged. Why is it not dead? And if decaptiation is necessary, why didn't my dwarves decapitate it?

Thralls, husks, and zombies don't need brains. They can function perfectly fine without thought.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33087 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:07 pm »

Hmm, can non-dwarf sentients still become mayors?
Works for me.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33088 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:01 pm »

Since it was so boring, i fiddled around with a machine-code-programming emulator (very basic, it simulates an eight-bit processor with 16 bytes of RAM and a maximum of sixteen instructions). I'm quite pleased with successfully producing a fibonacci-series program using increment (to prime it), read, write, add, decrement and unconditional jump as actual instructions, and making use of the fact that "clear accumulator" and "halt" are adjacent opcodes (i.e. "clear" is used as dummy command which eventually turns into "halt" after enough iterations have taken place). This could actually be implemented in an eight-instruction Dwarf Fortress computer.

If the community keeps making these, we're going to end up with the first AI. And it's first sentence will be "Give me booze, puny humans."

Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33089 on: February 13, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »

Oh, i just realised what i wrote above could be massively mis-read: i didn't do this in DF, i messed around in an educative program that tries to teach people the basics of machine code. It's a very small application on my desktop, but the processing power is around the level of the famous several-thousand-component megaproject known as the Dwarven Computer.

That's the major problem with all dwarven computing - even simple finite-state machines like calculators can get terrifyingly big and complicated, and actual computers are orders of magnitude trickier. Of course, we're wrestling with tools that weren't designed for computing in the first place and have to get less than enthusiastic simulated minions to perform all the installation jobs.

Fort news: i relocated my fort in the world with sentient dogs (i.e. abandoned, the original site was crummy and pointless and no dwarf would vote for the "stray war goblins") and am now quite sure that dwarfs refuse to wear clothes made from sentient creature leather. I've had several dwarfs migrate in and drop "goblin leather cap" and the like upon entering the map. It was clearly not item loss from a lacking limb :P
Interestingly, they will make leather clothes from imported "goblin leather" and trade them, but will not wear them.

I may have messed up their sentience somehow - they don't get hungry, thirsty or sleepy, unlike other tame sentients. Relevant tags i can see are:
[CREATURE:DOG]
   [NAME:goblin:goblins:goblin]
   [CASTE_NAME:goblin:goblins:goblin]
   [PETVALUE:30][NATURAL]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE][PET][CAN_TALK][CAN_LEARN]
   [BONECARN]
   [PREFSTRING:cruelty]
I.e., i just replaced the prefstring and name and added can_talk and can_learn.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:30:39 pm by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 2204 2205 [2206] 2207 2208 ... 3842