Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2203 2204 [2205] 2206 2207 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095555 times)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33060 on: February 11, 2014, 06:04:59 am »

In my current Masterwork fort I got 6 ambush groups at the same time, from 3 different civs.

Luckily the dwarf who got the Pull Lever job was so slow that by the time he got there almost all the invaders were fighting caravan guards on the bridges. Now my moat is full of blood and corpses.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33061 on: February 11, 2014, 11:32:52 am »

Temptaxe crashed after I hadn't saved in a while, so I'm avoiding it at the moment and currently modding my games for personal preferences (unicorns and dragons breedable/trainable because why not, eliminating all the aboveground animal men because fuck those whores, thinking about modding in more snakes because you know snakes...)

What else should I mod in, hmmn...maybe dragon varieties?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33062 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:07 pm »

Temptaxe crashed after I hadn't saved in a while, so I'm avoiding it at the moment and currently modding my games for personal preferences (unicorns and dragons breedable/trainable because why not, eliminating all the aboveground animal men because fuck those whores, thinking about modding in more snakes because you know snakes...)

What else should I mod in, hmmn...maybe dragon varieties?
You should add venomous dogs and make cows breathe fire, if only for the hilarity when invaders attack your pastures...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33063 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:47 pm »

I learned early on in my modding career that firebreathing cows are more trouble than they're worth. Venomous dogs or some similar creature would be neat. Maybe a roughly dog-sized venomous reptile. Dragon or something.

My fortress seems doomed at the moment. I need to come up with a way to very rapidly drain away an enormous quantity of water upon adventurers visiting it, and ensure that there is at least one route into the fortress that isn't frozen solid. I built it into the beach of a freezing ocean, so when I abandon the entire thing will be flooded, and the two primary surface access points will be frozen solid because the water that spawns there will be exposed to the outdoor temperatures. I'd like to at least make sure the stockpiles to the really cool stuff are accessible without cheating, if flooded. Maybe I'll just order my dorfs to deconstruct every single door in the fortress and dig enormous stairwells into the caverns. That should let the water drain. Might wash some of the goods down with it, I guess...

but hey, at least adventurers will be able to search the place for my oh-so-lovable vampire friend.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:20:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33064 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »

Haha, I'm more going for actual, believable things, so no fire-breathing cows or venomous dogs.  Although I am making all the snakes properly lay eggs so I can catch and breed a bunch of black mambas if I want - those would work just as well as venomous dogs.  Toady sure neglected the snakes, all of them are missing child tags!  Sad.

Edit:  And today on "Dwarf Fortress Announcements I Never Thought I'd See"...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:02:29 pm by Clover Magic »

CHR1SZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33065 on: February 11, 2014, 04:07:26 pm »

I've been attacked by a forgotten beast with highly unusual deadly spittle: it freezes at ambient temperature. It effectively behaved like a living catapult, hurling globs of "Forgotten Beast Extract" that solidified into boulders in mid-air. Fortunately, as it was basically just a giant snail my military dispatched it with relative ease, although not before several of my hapless civs had their ribcages crushed by lumps of "spinning frozen Forgotten Beast Extract". Has anyone else come up against an FB/Titan with a similar ability?
It's all very epic. Jump off a tower towards a spike pit, and at the last moment attempt to parry the planet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33066 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »

As I understood it that's very common for the randomly generated creatures; the melting and boiling points of extracts are randomly generated and often well above ambient temperature/room temperature, so a lot of beasts with deadly spittle shoot deadly rocks at high velocity.

There is a dwarf in my fortress running around babbling. I do not know what her problem is, but I assume I failed to give her the appropriate items/workshop to complete a mood.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:32:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33067 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:46 pm »

Whitemountains, winter of 172 (22nd year of the fort, i think).
The duchess gave birth to yet another child, she's up to 23 by now, although several are adult and off-site. The swordsdwarfs seem to have caught a training snag, there's just no sparring going on, so it'll be another five years or so until the second one turns elite. Grrr.

I fiddled with my two bytes of minecart memory. I had forgotten one plate-to-hatch link in the display of the buffer, and now i've added another lever so a byte can be returned to zero _without_ changing the buffer's state. I had at first only implemented a "read" operation, but since this actually produces its output as a side-effect of _clearing_ the adressed memory, it just took another bridge and an extra link to a hatch cover to remove all effects on the buffer and turn it into a plain "clear memory". There's still a problem in that bits acquiring a zero in the "read" operation can trap the cart in a hatch-covered pit, which will spontaneously activate the bit if the (global) input for the bit location goes live again. I'll have to see if there's a timing window that results in a proper switch-off. But not today.

The bowyer's workshop finally caught up with the bone stocks, after making about 3000 crossbows. I've sold about 2000 already, especially to the elves (i can't see the harm in selling them crossbows, after all, i'm not selling them any _bolts_). And the most recent child mood produced a unicorn bone weapon rack, with cheetah bone, obsidian and yellow zircon decorations, rated at about 50.000☼.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33068 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »

Quick question. Can one dwarf shooting at a husk that used to be a fort member spark a loyalty cascade? The Wiki's only blurb about cascades deals with killing traders, but in Mirehole's early years, a cascade began with some interaction with the husks and the overseer at the time had to savescum. Right now I have some silly beard popping off shots at the husks and I'm afraid it might spark a cascade.

Anyone have any idea if this is a possibility?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33069 on: February 11, 2014, 09:33:37 pm »

If you accidentially butcher the only GCS to ever enter your fort, does that mean no more will spawn? It's been DECADES since I accidentially butchered that GCS and while I did boost up the GCS population a fort decade or so back, I haven't seen any enter the map.

I also haven't had a Megabeast or Semi-Mega visit the fort in decades either and werebeasts have been somewhat rare.

The biome is calm though I think, which may have partially something to do with it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:38:39 pm by smjjames »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33070 on: February 11, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »

The mighty future fortress of Brainstandards has been founded!  (Yeah when that name popped up in the random ones I had to use it)

The fort straddles a stream, on one side of the stream there is Untamed Wilds Tropical Savanna, I believe, and on the other half Terrifying Sand Desert cause you know.  It rains malodorous mucus on the evil side, which appears to cause some form of bleeding.  Not fatal though, even the peacocks survived it.

There's some giant sponges in the stream, but other than that nothing too scary has popped up so far.  We've got our wall up and our supplies underground, so now we're digging out the main fort.

Long live Brainstandards, woo!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33071 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »

If you accidentially butcher the only GCS to ever enter your fort, does that mean no more will spawn? It's been DECADES since I accidentially butchered that GCS and while I did boost up the GCS population a fort decade or so back, I haven't seen any enter the map.

Use DFHack. Type in region-pops list-all and look for SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT. If it's there and has a number next to it (should be about mid-forties) then you'll have more spawn eventually.

Edit: Oh, you boosted the populations already? Then it's just a matter of waiting.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33072 on: February 11, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »

Use DFHack. Type in region-pops list-all and look for SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT. If it's there and has a number next to it (should be about mid-forties) then you'll have more spawn eventually.

Edit: Oh, you boosted the populations already? Then it's just a matter of waiting.

I've been waiting over 30 ingame years...... I boosted the pop up from 55 to 550 and I was visited by an iron man a couple fort years ago, and those actually ARE rare.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33073 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »

I've been waiting over 30 ingame years...... I boosted the pop up from 55 to 550 and I was visited by an iron man a couple fort years ago, and those actually ARE rare.

My best fort, Angelbane, spent a good sixty years (ah, 0.31, when I could keep a fort alive...) waiting for a pair.
Trust me, they'll turn up eventually.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33074 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:17 pm »

Welp, that escalated quickly.  Everything was going fine in Brainstandards until I noticed one of the miners wasn't actually mining - he was just sitting outside, not moving.  He didn't look hurt but refused to move, so then I reloaded the game and suddenly EVERYTHING was bruised and bleeding.  The entire fort quickly suffocated/bled out/something.

Glitchy syndromes, huzzah.  So weird that the syndrome didn't actually take effect until a reload - the entirety of the fort was working fine until they were forced to re-evaluate themselves and then suddenly DEATH.
Pages: 1 ... 2203 2204 [2205] 2206 2207 ... 3842