Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2189 2190 [2191] 2192 2193 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096036 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32850 on: February 03, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

One level up, behind fortifications, is Zas Alilfikod Kanshetbeth Goden, legendary marksdwarf and militia captain who has not killed anything in 13 years since getting a mild but permanent hemorrhagic fever from another FB back in 277. Zas always arrives late to the party these days, but here he was, and for the first time in over a decade, bam. One steel bolt to the brain. The thoughts say "took joy in slaughter," but I can only imagine him saying "hell yes, still got it" as he slings his crossbow over his shoulder and heads back to the barracks, trailing a little blood from his fever.

That guy deserves a Royal Mausoleum when he passes.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32851 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:16 am »

Goden Machinewipes.  Only one kill: Thali Taxjade, the Luxurious Wealths (female dragon).

If a dwarf is left outside during a dragon capture attempt, the Law of DF states that the dwarf will smite the dragon before it can reach the cage traps  :'(.  I love dragons, but that was a pretty epic bout of shooting there!

That guy deserves a Royal Mausoleum when he passes.

Absolutely!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32852 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:34 am »

Use a negative number instead of a positive one.

I know, but I need something else which I can't seem to figure out, kept trying the creature name, dunno. I keep getting an invalid boost factor error.

Edit: Tried region-pop incr BIRD_RAVEN -12000 and that ended up zeroing the region pop for ravens, although there are 10 currently on site. I wasn't actually trying to zero the population, just reduce it by 12k since it was over 12k.

The number you input is the factor by which to reduce it. So you'd want to do
Code: [Select]
region-pop incr BIRD_RAVEN -0.95
to reduce it by a factor of 19/20, leaving you with 5% of the previous original or standard population. You can't, apparently, reduce straight numbers, which would seem to make more sense.

Oh I see, thanks. I think I'll also boost the GCS population as I haven't had one in forever, and maybe giant toads, olms, and others. I accidentiaaly butchered the one I did catch decades ago in the fort and have been trying to get a new one since.

Also, for some reason, the second cavern level isn't spawning any critters. I've already had a few FBs spawn there, so I know the map edge isn't broken. I did set pond grabber homeotherm to 0 (which didn't work for those on the map already for some reason) to make them die on spawning, but it seems to make them stop spawning at all.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32853 on: February 03, 2014, 05:49:34 am »

~Graniteechoes~

I fear Loloksarek may be on it's dying breath, to be overrun by demons of fire and ruby, just as it's namesake was...

I thought the Gambol Shroud, with the help of the Almace, could protect us.
I didn't want protection, or safety, looking back.

I was sick, so very, very sick.

I JUST NEEDED THE CANDY

Edit: Those demons may be keeping Loloksarek for evil entertainment purposes. They don't want dwarves, only beds. Maybe they want beds in hell.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:51:24 am by Lolfail0009 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32854 on: February 03, 2014, 10:13:22 am »

I'm thinking of opening the candy at some point, however, this forts FPS is in the low 20s most of the time on my old computer and I REALLY want to check how it performs on my new one.

Having made 40k+ bolts probably doesn't help much either.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32855 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

So, I had just whacked my first minotaur(who had promptly ignored the entire squad in favor of strangling one of the new recruits, a thick-necked one nonetheless), when the dwarven caravan arrived with the outpost liaison. At the exact same time and place two goblin squads arrived to harass my fort.....
The goblins went straight for the wagons and butchered them, the merchants went insane at the same time as the yaks pulling the wagons, while the outpost liaison ran away for a bit before going insane himself and being wrecked by a goblin. The squad of elite dwarf soldiers woke up and eliminated the goblins quickly, then with nothing to do left the map.
Now I get a message that the caravan is preparing to leave, though I don't see how this bunch of melancholic and babbling merchants and yaks can prepare anything lol :D :D :D. At least they'll serve as a warning for when the new ambush arrives.

Does building a road to the edge of the map make the caravan spawn there? Getting all this free stuff is not fun anymore, takes years to move it to my fort and I generally don't get it before the next ambush arrives. And i have TONS of gold and platinum crafts just waiting to be sold :P

PS: Does choosing an embark zone near a fort have any serious consequences? :D

Cheers

Now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32856 on: February 03, 2014, 10:20:25 am »

PS: Does choosing an embark zone near a fort have any serious consequences? :D

Cheers

Now

You mean goblin dark fortresses? I don't really think so, except maybe that sieges may come faster because less distance travelled.

And yes I hate it when a caravan gets whacked by a siege or ambushed. Though I have enough dwarves that cleanup happens quickly.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32857 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »

Laborfords
23rd Moonstone, 235

I finally figured out why the clown car didn't open!

Spoiler: Spoileriiiiiiiiite (click to show/hide)

In other news, children are less than half my fort. And no one's died in a while. And the humans are sieging us again. And I am SO BORED.

On the other hand, dumping all the worn clothing into the magma tube seems to be good for FPS, 'cause I'm at 35 and steady right now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:34:18 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32858 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »

You should mine slade and make a minecart grinder trap with slade boulders in the carts.

Just because.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32859 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:49 pm »

You should mine slade and make a minecart grinder trap with slade boulders in the carts.

Just because.

Eh, maybe. For the moment, as of 18th Opal 235 I've just set all adult dwarves with no moodable skills to smoothing the circus because why the hell not. Incidentally, this halved my FPS.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32860 on: February 03, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »

Everything is dying from a forgotten beast syndrome. Quarantine is in effect to prevent spreading to clean dwarves- they're sitting in a locked off area behind a drawbridge to keep out the sick. So far my entire first military squad has succumbed to a combination of the syndrome, which causes acute numbness at first, and goblin sieges. Perhaps they sent the FB to weaken my fort? Perhaps they heard of the illness and decided to attack in my moment of weakness? Perhaps one of my sick dwarves is going to pull the lever that causes seas of magma to pour out the volcano upon which my fort rests, wiping them out to the goblin?

Perhaps in a future update goblins will be capable of such thought.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

LionelR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32861 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »

My first caravan just left. I thought that if they refused a trade you have to try the same trade again and again, but finally they refused all trade.  >:(

I also succeeded in putting 4 pieces of limonite in a stockpile and so now I will try to make some charcoal to melt it.

I also probably should do something about all those stones lying around, but I only have 4 dwarfs hauling. It's time a new wave of immigrants arrives. :)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32862 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:36 pm »

Laborfords
25th Obsidian, 235

so... slow....

FPS is down to 14, now, though only occasionally does it drop that low. Usually it's ~17. I fully regret this decision. Note to self: designate hell to be smoothed in small patches.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32863 on: February 03, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »

Lost my militia captain to a roc.. he was just that little bit quicker than his squadmates and while he got the first couple of hits in, an enraged roc was just too hard to dodge and it bit his head clean off.

On the plus side, this means I can finally butcher his 8 cats! The butchery was getting clogged up with bits of kitten.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32864 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:28 pm »

Last time I got rid of forty-odd cats that had been adopted, I lost a legendary woodcrafter or some such dwarf to melancholy. The other half belonged to a far more stable individual who sat at 0 happiness for several months but then was OK with his life again.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2189 2190 [2191] 2192 2193 ... 3842