Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2188 2189 [2190] 2191 2192 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096023 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32835 on: February 02, 2014, 02:03:50 pm »

One of the haulers broke her skull somehow.  Only her skull.  It's been stitched, set, and wrapped, but she keeps passing out from being stunned/in pain, and so I'm getting a lot of "I NEED TO GET MY BABY--Kuduk McWoundedHauler Cancels Seeking infant: Unconscious".

I hope it doesn't crawl somewhere inconvenient and die, that would be really sad for my first dwarf death.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32836 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:55 pm »

Oh... oh jeeze. One of my miners has transformed. Into a Dwarf descending certain mountains. Oh geeze.
I had, a few minutes before, spotted 'non-euclidean rock' in between dr. David.
Huh?

Something from masterwork I'm guessing.

It was a 'huh?' at the whole quote.

Yeah, masterwork. My bad, I opened the wrong thread. And Dr. David -> 'living stone.'
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32837 on: February 02, 2014, 06:16:43 pm »

My forts resident vampire got a posessed mood while in his eternity chamber, I'm scrambling (well okay, one designation) to let him out so that the mood can go through.

It may be a posession, but she is a Great Engraver anyway and at least she won't go crazy. Maybe I'll put her artifact inside her chamber.

Edit: Feh, I'll just designate that whole wall....

Edit2: Also, she has a bugged diagnosis in that she is listed as still needing treatment, but she doesn't. Not sure how that will play out.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:24:23 pm by smjjames »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32838 on: February 02, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »

Time for a Fort mode / adventure mode crossover!

Icetomb, northern outpost of the Soaked Mechanism and recently crowned mountainhome, has fallen.

My first attempt at a glacier fort went badly wrong and tantrum spiralled into oblivion as the recently arrived elf queen died of thirst in front of her dwarven subjects.

I will reclaim this fort and make a great tomb of ice to house the queen, living up to the name of the fort.

First, I will make a hero of the Soaked Mechanism to travel north and deal with the minotaur who is now let loose from the dungeons and mop up any forgotten beasts that may have made their way to the surface.

Dakost Steelwall is the hero's name, and he lives in the capital city, where elves and dwarves mingle. So far in his first sojourn into the catacombs he has killed 25 renegade dwarves and elves and retrieved a masterwork bronze spear from an elven overlord, who was resplendent in the name Vadane Stylesparkle.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32839 on: February 02, 2014, 08:42:14 pm »

There's a script in DFHack to adjust population counts.

use: region-pops boost

You can up/down the # of anything that way.  region-pops ? will give you a list of the options.

Really? MOAR SKYTHES!

Edit: It multiplys... :D

How do I use it to reduce the population of ravens?? Theres like over 12k of them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:44:58 pm by smjjames »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32840 on: February 02, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »

Use a negative number instead of a positive one.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32841 on: February 02, 2014, 09:18:06 pm »

I know, but I need something else which I can't seem to figure out, kept trying the creature name, dunno. I keep getting an invalid boost factor error.

Edit: Tried region-pop incr BIRD_RAVEN -12000 and that ended up zeroing the region pop for ravens, although there are 10 currently on site. I wasn't actually trying to zero the population, just reduce it by 12k since it was over 12k.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:26:31 pm by smjjames »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32842 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »

You're doing it wrong.

Peasant
-Cotton Fiber Trousers-       , Torso

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32843 on: February 02, 2014, 10:26:57 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 168, Late Summer of 357 (Year 106)

Commander Dishmab's brother, Prince Urist II Shootwondered arrived with the most recent wave of migrants.  After a three-decade interregnum due to the Riots of 323, the monarchy was restored.  Mosus II Lanterngaze-Anguishedpages was more than happy to step down as acting regent, though the new king begged that she stay on as mayor to help run the kingdom.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Lolor III and Edem IV welcomed their second child to the world, Edem V Claspletter!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:04:56 pm by VerdantSF »

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32844 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »

My first proper siege, 2 squads of goblins mounted on war jabberers, giant toads, olms and bats. I'm using no "normal" traps so trying to rely on military and fortress design. The only trap I have dumps the entire swimming pool on a tunnel leading to the trade depot. It's 5 z-levels deep and 13x21 on the surface, 3x3 at the bottom.

After driving off the bat-riding pikemasters with crossbow fire, I let the first squad in the main gate. They took a few potshots at animals and dutifully made their way in the trade depot entrance.

This is 5 ticks after the bridge opened:

Found a couple of flaws with the trap - the jabberers were unmoved and didn't drown as the water drained away too quickly. And the toads and olms were flushed down the gap but 12 z-levels wasn't enough to even hurt them. All but one goblin was killed pretty much instantly though. I need to be able to control the drain to hold water in long enough to drown jabberers, and maybe put grates down the bottom so they're landing on something solid instead of in water.

With all the crossbow goblins gone the jabberers were easy prey to the marksdwarves, and the toads and olms were no problem after the water drained away. The other squad retreated.

Lost a few animals, no major injuries, but in the confusion the meat stockpile filled up and so all of the recently-butchered dragon meat rotted in the butchery... not that we're short of meat but it feels like a bit of a waste :(

The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32845 on: February 02, 2014, 11:42:42 pm »

With all the crossbow goblins gone the jabberers were easy prey to the marksdwarves, and the toads and olms were no problem after the water drained away. The other squad retreated.

Well done!  I think the 12-level dropped didn't hurt as much as expected because of the water, which cushions falls.

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32846 on: February 03, 2014, 12:02:57 am »

Wow.
OK, this just happened 5 minutes ago.

Mid-life fortress of 166 beards; a dragon shows up and I burrow everyone and shut the outer drawbridges so the dragon will walk through my cage trap side entrance.

A lone craftsdwarf, Goden Machinewipes, an off-duty member of the Bronze Floors (crossbow squad) is caught in the open and, instead of prudently running down the trapped zig-zag corridor with her baby, instead faces off against the giant reptilian.

It tears her baby from her grasp and rips it apart graphically in front of her...wiping away a tear, she levels her crossbow, punching a hole in its foul guts...she then deflects its dragonfire once, twice, three times, and between each blast pierces it with another bolt, first in the leg, then the liver, and finally through its skull.  It falls dead at her feet.

Goden Machinewipes.  Only one kill: Thali Taxjade, the Luxurious Wealths (female dragon).

Well done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32847 on: February 03, 2014, 12:03:00 am »

Not the dragonmeats :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32848 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:18 am »

"The Forgotten Beast Adur has come! A towering lizard with lidless eyes. It has a spiral shell and it has a bloated body. Its scarlet scales are oval-shaped and close set. Beware its deadly dust!"

Normally I wouldn't mess with a duster, but circumstances dictated otherwise. The monster squads arrive quickly with backup, two squads of five speardwarves and two squads of five marskdwarves. The scarlet shelled lizard shows up and starts knocking everyone around with dust, which turns out to cause full-body blistering, rot (temporary, which seems odd), and loss of vision. There are now eight sightless militia dwarves wandering around and Adur is sauntering up to the central staircase, when abruptly, down it goes. I figured it had bled out or someone had gotten in a lucky stab, but no.

One level up, behind fortifications, is Zas Alilfikod Kanshetbeth Goden, legendary marksdwarf and militia captain who has not killed anything in 13 years since getting a mild but permanent hemorrhagic fever from another FB back in 277. Zas always arrives late to the party these days, but here he was, and for the first time in over a decade, bam. One steel bolt to the brain. The thoughts say "took joy in slaughter," but I can only imagine him saying "hell yes, still got it" as he slings his crossbow over his shoulder and heads back to the barracks, trailing a little blood from his fever.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32849 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:09 am »

I know, but I need something else which I can't seem to figure out, kept trying the creature name, dunno. I keep getting an invalid boost factor error.

Edit: Tried region-pop incr BIRD_RAVEN -12000 and that ended up zeroing the region pop for ravens, although there are 10 currently on site. I wasn't actually trying to zero the population, just reduce it by 12k since it was over 12k.

The number you input is the factor by which to reduce it. So you'd want to do
Code: [Select]
region-pop incr BIRD_RAVEN -0.95
to reduce it by a factor of 19/20, leaving you with 5% of the previous original or standard population. You can't, apparently, reduce straight numbers, which would seem to make more sense.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2188 2189 [2190] 2191 2192 ... 3842