Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095156 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32700 on: January 31, 2014, 02:40:40 am »

... autochop designation tells me there are only 36 trees in my safezone burrow. WHAT HERESY IS THIS?

The elves KNEW you would try to betray them. They made sure it was physically IMPOSSIBLE to betray them... Cunning bastards...

-snicker-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32701 on: January 31, 2014, 03:42:02 am »

Ah, what a lovely day in the fortress! Oh? And is that merchants I hear? I do hope Anan gets done with the bridgework, wouldn't want an accident.

-1 minute later-

Ah, Anan, glad to - AGH FUCK ANAN WHAT IN THE HELL IS WITH YOUR SKIN WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BOILS GET TO THE QUARANTINE ROOM OUT OUT OUT SHOO GOGOGO

Close the gates! Fling the merchants! PANIC!

CMD Addendum:
Anan Ducimlodel, found dead of smallpox in quarantine room, Opal 23rd, 201. Second dead of the 7 founders, Legendary miner. RIP, Anan. She (semi)willingly locked herself in the quarantine room, knowing her time had come and not wishing to infect the rest of the fortress.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:58:08 am by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32702 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:15 am »

Ah, what a lovely day in the fortress! Oh? And is that merchants I hear? I do hope Anan gets done with the bridgework, wouldn't want an accident.

-1 minute later-

Ah, Anan, glad to - AGH FUCK ANAN WHAT IN THE HELL IS WITH YOUR SKIN WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BOILS GET TO THE QUARANTINE ROOM OUT OUT OUT SHOO GOGOGO

Close the gates! Fling the merchants! PANIC!

-cackle-

Laborfords
18th Moonstone, 230

Starting work on the wall once more, and have reactivated invaders and returtled. Hopefully the first goblin ambush won't cause a spat of dodges.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32703 on: January 31, 2014, 03:55:49 am »

Syrupfondles was an idyllic seaside retreat, with 20 happy dwarves and one content camel grazing outside.

Then we found out what the strange creeping fog does; Kadolerith Stelidtolis the One-humped Creeping Fog Zombie (Hatchetlaboured the Washed Top) has struck down eleven of the dwarves and now rules the surface, alternating violating the dead corpses and killing the stray hyena that wander onto the map.

We remainders have sealed the fortress and are looking downwards, and hoping any migrants find the emergency exit before Kadolerith does.

Hopefully things get better. Of the nine surviving dwarves, three are master jewellers. Not sure if that's good or bad, but EVERYTHING in the outpost is now encrusted.

Update; Big migrant wave. Also a lot of hyena zombies. Six were cut down, but 22 managed to make it into the fort. I'm surprised at their determination. Things must really be bad at the mountain home for them to come here...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:26:15 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32704 on: January 31, 2014, 04:37:47 am »

OH DEAR ARMOK THERE'S BLOOD ALL OVER THE DINING ROOM AND EVERYONE IS RUNNING FROM EACH OTHER OR BEATING ON EACH OTHER WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

I Failcannon'd it up, all because of a schizophrenic. ALL ABOARD THE FUN TRAIN, CHOO CHOO!
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32705 on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:44 am »

Laborfords
4th Granite, 231

My idler count is higher than my FPS. -sob-

On the other hand, the HFDP got a magma cleansing and I used the clever application of a cave-in to close off the magma workshop area from the magma tube so I can endlessly pump from it without compromising workshop availability, so life is good.

... Other than my duchess being utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangements. Ew. Here, I'll make some gold grates for you, now shut up

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32706 on: January 31, 2014, 04:58:46 am »

Asob Asmelfoker, legendary doctor, chief medical dwarf of Heartmine for 118 years, and finally mayor as of a couple years ago, died of old age at 152. RIP, Asob.

In memory of Asob Asmelfoker / Born 739 / Died peacefully in the year 891 / Creator of the Scaly Rampages / Mayor of the Quiet Silvers 886 to 891 / Devoted father and husband.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32707 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:37 am »

Laborfords
8th Hematite, 231

Spoiler: Ey look it's an elf (click to show/hide)

I may have used DFHack's grow command just so I could chop down all the trees. And this time I'm flipping this twit off.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:01:33 am by Lielac »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32708 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:10 am »

I don't think my food industry is big enough yet.

The village of Becorlibash, "Temptaxe", has been thriving.  Nearing the second autumn, we have a count of 60 beards, 54 of those in gainful employment (aka not resource-leeching kids).  Although two or three goblin ambushes have shown up, they have been deterred by the Puppy Alarm System and what can be called a liberal fuckton of traps because I haven't bothered to danger-room up a military yet.

Clearly I don't have enough traps yet either.

All in all, the going is good, except for the black mamba men that wander close to the fort sometimes.  Don't want to get bitten by those, that venom is nasty.  Hooray for realism!

Not a bad fort for my return to DF after a year, haha.  Keep forgetting to start the military though, should get some haulers onto that.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32709 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:38 am »

I am building a substantial defensive keep and fortress above my fortress enterance this time, instead of looking for cliffs and mountains.  So far, I have a set of wall, which will have fortifications all around, as well as two square corner towers overlooking the entrance.  I am building a more substantial keep to house increased military dwarves.  So far, I have had a few incursions, not including snatchers or thieves.

The first was a forgotten beast which gained access to my main stair cast where it broke out into the first cavern.  It made its way into the storage areas/workshop level.  It was mobbed by my military, consisting of one squad of marksdwarves, one squard of melee dwarves (heavily armed with spears, axes, and swords), and a large number of war dogs.  It was slowly torn to pieces until a marksdwarf scored a direct hit on its head, severing its brain.  The cost was surprisingly low--some of the melee dwarves lost some limbs, one was stabbed with a stinger, but they all survivied.  I subsequently sealed off the caverns. 

Shortly thereafter, an ambush popped up.  I lost a few marksdwarves in that one, plus a couple citizens who did not get to safety on time.

After a period of quiet, the next spring saw my first goblin ambush, just as the elven caravan was arriving.  My fortress relies heavily on the clothing industy for trade (I'll be damned if a single gold goblet leaves the fortress!) so it was a bit unfortunate that the elven caravan was driven away and slaughtered before I could respond.  I did actually send out my military, since I take defending my lands seriously.

Finally, I had my first siege.  It occurred just as the human caravan was approaching.  Most of the wagons had made it in.  There was but one laggard (there always is!).  I kept the gates open, sent my fighters to the bridge to protect the fortress, and sent my two squads of marksdwarves to the battlements.  The siege was an unusally small one, with only one group of goblins.  The caravan wagon reached the bridge, pursued by the goblins, who were subjected to a withering hail of bolts.  The human guards counterattacked, and were joined by the melee dwarves.  End result--the siege was easily broken by my marksdwarves, and trading commenced.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32710 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

Managed to capture a male and female unicorn. Given that the beasties are untamable, attempting to breed and butcher their offspring. Enclosed a small pasture with a single exit guarded by a pressure plate and hatch cover set to trigger on 450,00 weight (adult unicorns are 600,000 and adolescents are 300,000. After leaving the breeding pasture, the foals and adolescents are contained within a walled growing pasture that has two exits. One is back to the original breeding pasture, but the pressure plate is set to 10,000 and up so they can't return to their mother. The other exit is set to 450,000 and leads to a cage corridor.

Now to wait for a couple of years to see if it is possible to breed unicorns. I really hope so...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32711 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:36 pm »

The first was a forgotten beast which gained access to my main stair cast where it broke out into the first cavern.  It made its way into the storage areas/workshop level.  It was mobbed by my military, consisting of one squad of marksdwarves, one squard of melee dwarves (heavily armed with spears, axes, and swords), and a large number of war dogs.  It was slowly torn to pieces until a marksdwarf scored a direct hit on its head, severing its brain.  The cost was surprisingly low--some of the melee dwarves lost some limbs, one was stabbed with a stinger, but they all survivied.  I subsequently sealed off the caverns.

Well done!  I love marksdwarves and it's always great when one scores an awesome headshot like that.   

End result--the siege was easily broken by my marksdwarves, and trading commenced.

/raise_mug

Relicshield, pop. 143, Late Summer of 353 (Year 102)

The Evils of Spray once again stepped up their attacks.  Elite archers have become more common, with one killing Ezumi Freeoil and Ingish II Claspletter, granddaughter of Edem II, in the most recent siege.  A massive enemy host had gathered at the east wall.  The East Watch, with a few soldiers from the North Watch, battled their way to the bowgob, while the rest of the military guarded the trade tunnels.  Two more dwarves would've lost their lives, but the defenders finally broke through the enemy lines and slew the goblin squad leader. 

Atis Blockadetempted and Vucar Gillhandle were rescued, though they each had a pair of arrows embedded in them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently, Vucar got sick of staying in the hospital and crawled his way out before his treatment was truly finished.  He was brought back to the hospital, diagnosed again, then given a crutch.

Speaking of hospitals...

Asob Asmelfoker, legendary doctor, chief medical dwarf of Heartmine for 118 years, and finally mayor as of a couple years ago, died of old age at 152. RIP, Asob.

In memory of Asob Asmelfoker / Born 739 / Died peacefully in the year 891 / Creator of the Scaly Rampages / Mayor of the Quiet Silvers 886 to 891 / Devoted father and husband.

Sorry to see Asob go, though I'm glad he died peacefully.  Fitting for such a distinguished dwarf.  The medics of Relicshield are in complete awe at Asob's level of expertise!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:33:08 pm by VerdantSF »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32712 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »

@ jocochran: you can change the raws to make them tameable and trainable,  no regen required, but hey, if you want to leave them wild, that's great too.

I dumped some of the lower quality water skins because I had WAY too many (had over 200) and in the proccess I seem to have broken the uniform of some of my military in that they won't pick up new waterskins. Tried to set the schedule to have them uninformed when inactive, didn't help. Going to have to identify which ones are glitched and actually remove them from squad to clear the uniform.

Meanwhile, a FB with poisonous vapors/gas has showed up on the second cavern level in that spot which refuses to close off despite me using DFhack to wall off that map edge which was glitched. Going to have to use pumps to drain that area and put an actual wall there. I have a windmil power plant producing in excess of 7k units of power, so powering it is not an issue.

Hopefully that FBs syndrome isn't anything horrible. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:44:13 pm by smjjames »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32713 on: January 31, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »

Mebgedor, Galena 202
After hearing tales of disguised warlocks, necromancers, and other beasties, I've mandated the construction of an execution room. After initial tests, it appears to be functioning. I do hope warlocks can't breathe underwater....

Deaths this year: 1.

Taren Nishmorul, Miner, 3rd dead of the 7 founders. Dehydration, presumed overseer error.

_____
So yeah, I forgot that designating a channel, then digging around it creates a hole your miners can't get out of.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32714 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:34 pm »

When the FB approached the troops, it did let off a bust of vapor, but apparently one of the soldiers blocked the entire thing, saving everybody from a potentially horrible death.
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 3842