Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176] 2177 2178 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093446 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32625 on: January 29, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »

Obsidian farm is working, but somehow the hatch above the generator auto-opened before everything was ready. I don't think that I have gremlins, and I'm sealed from the outside, so I can only guess that the water pressure above opened the hatch. Fortunately, all that backlog only filled my tub halfway. And if water flow doesn't transfer up ramps, then I may need to drain the tub anyway.

That's it. I'm done with hatches now. This is the second issue with hatches, the first being that water did not rise up through an open hatch despite previous successful attempts.

Oh, and lots of artifacts in this fort. Beasts too. Can't wait to fight the flying aqua panda.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32626 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »

I decided to reclaim the site of Wipedboots. Although there's not much of a fortress there to reclaim, there is some raw aluminum, and I'm not one to let good aluminum go unprocessed.

The expedition group, The Courteous Avalanche, consisted of two hammerdwarves, two macedwarves, an armorer, a furnace operator, and a miner-mason. They brought no kitten with them; I don't think I could bear to lose another one ;(. Instead they brought weapons, wood, fuel, and enough provisions to hopefully last them until autumn.

The soldiers barely had a chance to grab their weapons when the first undead ambush came. The wagon stopped on the haunted tundra, so, though the dwarves were victorious, the undead onslaught would be continuous. A macedwarf soon had his left foot broken by one of those pesky undead seals. His companion macedwarf stood beside him in the wagon to help defend whilst the miner dug a new fortress into the frozen ocean. It may seem like a bad idea to construct a home inside of an ocean, but when one's options are probably drowning and definitely being ripped apart by zombie seals, the choice is fairly obvious.

Surprisingly, the macedwarf with the broken foot was not the first to perish. Instead, his sister-in-arms was fatally gored by the animated skeleton of a certain water buffalo. The two-dwarf hammerdwarf squad pursued the dread beast via their own volition (I had ordered them to remain stationed around the poor crippled macedwarf). It easily killed them both, its horns punching straight through their skulls with ease.

Without support, the lone macedwarf was killed by a pack of undead seals. The only remaining survivors were then the miner-mason, still digging out a shelter in the sea of ice, and the furnace operator, separated from his comrade by at least six zombie monsters, including the dread water buffalo skeleton Amusebowels. The furnace operator was sent on a suicide mission to distract the undead while Unib the miner hastily built a wall of ice at the entrance to the ice bunker.

The furnace operator, apparently unaware of what a suicide mission traditionally entails, managed to defeat two zombie dwarves and an undead seal with her bare hands before making it safely into the bunker just as the ice wall was completed. The two dwarves, alone in their icy cell with naught but a barrel of cave fish and a nearly empty barrel of rum, soon began to tantrum and quarrel. It was unwise of the furnace operator to pick a fight with the pickaxe-wielding miner, and she soon earned herself a punctured lung. The furnace operator, whose name was Kib, actually managed to survive after the two calmed down.

There was some preserved fish, rum, and other items left behind in the bunker dug by the previous expedition, so Unib began digging a tunnel from the ice fortress to it. Unless there were more undead hidden inside, the bunker's stone door would allow the dwarves to scavenge safely. Kib kept herself busy by moving all of the ice that Unib dug up into one big pile. Unib began digging with new-found motivation once the rum in the ice bunker ran out.

Unib breached The Bell of Glee's bunker just as summer arrived on the calendar. He and Kib feasted on cave lobster while a pack of undead ice wolves stalked the earth above, along with a horde of undead dwarves and other creatures. Along with food and drink, the two survivors also discovered two highwood logs to make beds with, a ghost, and some bituminous coal. I relocated all of the supplies and workshops to the old bunker for now, and set the dwarves up with private bedrooms there.

These two have more than enough food and drink to last until a migrant wave, although I doubt that any of the migrants would survive the run from the edge of the map to the bunker. Anyway, I doubt two dwarves huddles together in a dirt shelter is particularly interesting, so I'll definitely refrain from writing any more of this crap until something actually notable happens.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32627 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:35 am »

Limulmorul, Autumn of 126.
We've dug down through the caverns, and hit a magma sea. From the hole in the ceiling, the miners have found the holy blue metal, adamantine.
Since we have three proficient metalsmiths, work has begun on the magma forges, and the cavern entrances sealed. Nothing shall disturb production.

_______

So, is there a way to tell if a candy deposit is hollow or not? I've noticed that one has a 2x2 black area consistently throughout it, thinking that that's the one to avoid.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:12:22 am by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32628 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:39 am »

What?!  How did a bugbat get inside Relicshield?!  The Second and Third Caverns are blocked by the Dragon Watch and the First Cavern has been completely secured for over seventy years.  Bugbats only live for about twenty years, so it couldn't have been from a stranded remnant population.  Perhaps an abandoned mineshaft allowed access?  But if this were the case, how is it that no forgotten beasts have breached the fortress the same way?  A troubling puzzle, indeed.  Still, this was yet another reminder of the benefit of arming the civilian populace.  The worker Unib Faithtorch shot and killed the flying beast with his trusty crossbow, then went about his business.

These two have more than enough food and drink to last until a migrant wave, although I doubt that any of the migrants would survive the run from the edge of the map to the bunker.

Best of luck to them!  Hopefully the wolves will be on the other side of the map when the migrants arrive!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:26:36 am by VerdantSF »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #32629 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:22 am »

I decided to arm my dwarves with training spears before sending them to clear out the troglodytes in the cavern, on the basis that slowly torturing the little bastards with sticks will get more experience than just stabbing them to death with a proper weapon. It worked splendidly until one of them kicked my militia commander in the head. Remember, kids -- when using people smaller than yourself as living punching bags, always wear a helmet!
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32630 on: January 30, 2014, 01:33:53 am »

Ouch.  At least you got most of the troglodytes.  I'm not very fond of them.  They were partially responsible for a tantrum spiral in my current fort :(.  They're actually the same size as dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:35:55 am by VerdantSF »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32631 on: January 30, 2014, 01:55:47 am »

They're actually the same size as dwarves.

Huh. I never had any degree of trouble with trogs, so I always assumed they were smaller. Guess it was the lack of clothes.

I amend my previous statement to 'people nakeder than yourself'.

In any case, once I get some head protection made, I now have a new favourite way to train troops.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32632 on: January 30, 2014, 02:03:31 am »

Relicshield suffered another junk-related accident.  Iton Hatchetsearched and Vucar Gillhandle both managed to end up in the middle of the garbage dump while their fellow dwarves were throwing items in.  Iton was killed, while Vucar lost a hand :(

The surviving dwarf has no memory of the incident.  It's possible that he fell in while the surrounding area was packed.  Regardless, the lower level access stairs, rarely used for mistakenly discarded items, have been covered as a precaution.

I amend my previous statement to 'people nakeder than yourself'.

Hehe.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32633 on: January 30, 2014, 03:10:34 am »

Repeated Operation: Trog Torture, this time with properly-armoured troops. There were no fatalities this time (although one idiot who rushed in alone without putting on all of his gear had terrible things happen to his ribs and legs) and I have never seen my soldiers skill up so quickly (although admittedly that probably happened largely as a result of one of the soldiers singlehandly fending a huge pile of trogs off of the aforementioned Urist McJenkins, who by that point was lying on the ground in a beardy heap). Will definitely incorporate this strategy into future training plans.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32634 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:57 am »

Laborfords
13th Opal, 229

Things I've learned: I can get vertigo from staring down into the abyss that is the blue sky of nothingness while my dwarves work on corner scaffolding. Or maybe that's just the mild terror of wondering if that kestrel is going to spook one of my dwarves into dodging and falling half a dozen z-levels to their death.

86 bratlings; I'm going to drop the childcap down to 1:1 once I hit 100 mini-beards.

Also, I should really turn invaders back on at some point.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32635 on: January 30, 2014, 03:26:25 am »

Interesting account by MrWillsauce - another demonstration that evil embarks, esp. reviving ones, are a decent challenge for definitely-not-newbie players. It's easy to underestimate the wildlife you get in marine biomes.

Undead harp seals were my proper introduction to undead-spawning biomes. I just looked in their description - "a small marine mammal" and decided that since they were "small", making an ad-hoc wrestler squad of everyone but the two miners and sending them to hold off the harp seal corpse pack that was encroaching on the wagon was a decent idea. Within a few dozen turns, i was down to the two miners.

Evil biomes with no or little cover, or those which keep spawning packs of flying undead, are at first an exercise in getting everyone underground (and in the second case, under a solid roof) quickly. Thanks to dwarven "intelligence", this can horribly fail in so, so many ways. If you have only non-flying undead, you could slowly and laboriously reclaim parts of the surface by careful ramp-digging from below. Might be a project for Wipedboots eventually - you can't do much with only two dwarfs.

The name of the location makes me think of Matth. 10,14 - "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." - the place has been condemned before you even settled there.

^Relicshield - those blood pools are an invitation for unoccupied dwarfs to walk into the pit and try to "clean" it. Putting a cover over the access was a good idea - outside of combat and trap events, a dwarf shouldn't fall into an open pit. Dwarfs who acquire cleaning jobs only seem to take those when idle or immediately between jobs (e.g. right after dumping an item into the pit), and appear to target untidy locations within their immediate vicinity, and it seems to work through z-levels. My two bridge-smashing accidents were likely due to dwarfs getting aware of untidiness in the smasher while filling the pond zone used for the trigger.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:28:07 am by Larix »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32636 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:13 am »

After the Centennial Games, the bloodlust of Relicshield's citizens has been at an all-time high.  Cage traps throughout the trade tunnels have been removed so that dwarves may strike their enemies down right then and there.  Unfortunately, while most of the fortress's elite troops were guarding cage removal operations elsewhere in the tunnels, a well-coordinated goblin siege almost breached the inner trade gates.  Reservists were on hand and fought well, but Dakost Channelflashes was cut down by a goblin axe lord :(.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Due to Dakost's death, war grizzlies have been reintroduced as guards, with 28 now stationed in the underground trade network.  Together with the reservists who train nearby, they should be able to buy quite a bit more time for reinforcements to arrive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^Relicshield - those blood pools are an invitation for unoccupied dwarfs to walk into the pit and try to "clean" it. Putting a cover over the access was a good idea - outside of combat and trap events, a dwarf shouldn't fall into an open pit.

Dwarves have such wonderful timing!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:30:37 am by VerdantSF »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32637 on: January 30, 2014, 03:56:30 am »

Four Flesh Balls have been sighted in the third cavern in lieu of any Skythes (Must... resist... hacking... into... existence...) and, once captured, will serve as excellent training for the eventual Almace squad. Perhaps the Gambol Shroud could help draw them, but...

Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)

After old Loloksarek (ah, the release of DF2012...), I don't trust forgotten beasts. Admittedly a baby alpaca kicked this thing's head in, but still. RNG ra ra.

Edit: Opened up the second cavern for hunters, and lo and behold... Voliq got in. I quickly drafted nine additional dwarves into the Gambol Shroud and they managed to slay the beast, but at the cost of one of their own. I only hope the next one isn't as bad... when it shows its face again.
I really hope it doesn't.

Edit 2: The second FB, a giant living fireball with wings, is content in its upper corner of the Red Cavern, but a third one appeared; Vawume, an enormous dove with deadly blood. This was no match for the Gambol Shroud and its blood was quickly cleaned by gloved dwarves, not before it splashed on a puppy. This blood was deadly indeed, for the puppy ran a high fever before falling dizzy, unconsious and then totally paralysed, all while hemorrhaging viciously from its everything.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:52:27 am by Lolfail0009 »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32638 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:05 am »

In an alternate universe...

Tongsmyth
1st Granite, 231

I'm testing this bug to see if it works for moody kids too. So I duplicated the Laborfords save, abandoned it, embarked on a surface volcano so I can drop a cat in to get me some candy right off the bat to attract ridiculous numbers of migrants ASAP... aaaand 2nd Granite and candy already. Also, there's another bleeping magma tube so I uncovered the... first cavern, probably. Insta-fungus!

And now I'm a week in and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edit, 10th Granite: Dry third cavern. Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:49:55 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32639 on: January 30, 2014, 04:54:17 am »

So the wibbly-wobbly dwarfy-warfy bugtest was a success, then?
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176] 2177 2178 ... 3842