Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095132 times)

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32550 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:36 pm »

end with everyone become enemy of everyone*(I don't really know about it) = 4 times...

Loyalty Cascade?
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32551 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:00 pm »

And thus, Tamedgolds died...

A 16-year old Mountainhome of 536 beards, triumphant over numerous forgotten beasts, titans, and other lesser threats, was assailed by a goblin ambush; their leader, a vicious humanoid turtle-demon.  I shut the front gate and opened the protective shields around my fortified dragon-turret...and the demon, ignored the scorching flames and unleashed a cloud of dust; the dragon started to bleed, horribly, from every part of its body, quickly exsanginating and expiring.  The dragon managed only to dash the demon against a wall with the force of its dying fire-breath, breaking the fiend's leg.

The military sallied forth against the crippled brute, hoping to slay it with bolt and blade before it could unleash its deadly dust again.  The first crossbow salvo was blocked by its deftly-wielded shield, and the finest 80 soldiers, arrayed in shining steel, died in pools of their own blood as they charged against it, only crippling it's right arm.  A hunter, previous shut outside the gate, slew it with a lucky bolt through its head.  Of the original army, only a dozen remained.

But the horror was only beginning...as the final death announcements of the more robust soldiers echoed from the crier's lips, they were overshadowed by new ones, non-combatants, children and babies...the towns-dwarves, retrieving the bodies and effects of the honored slain, had unwittingly tracked the infected blood and dust back into the larder, the cemetary, the dining hall...the deaths began to increase, one a day, two a day, a dozen a day, and the surviving dwarves, overcome by grief, began to slip into madness and melancholy, wandering the engraved halls with expressionless faces, tracking the deadly contagion with them before expiring.

Within a year, the last dwarf, a woodcutter who had been felling trees in the deep cavern during the assault, had also fallen, and the halls of Tamedgolds were silent.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32552 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:53 pm »

500+ dwarves??? What the heck kind of computer do you have? My old computer ambles along at 20-30 FPS with 200 dwarves. Haven't tested how far I can go with my new computer though.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32553 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »

Sorry to hear about Tamedgolds.  I'm jealous that you can play with 500+ dwarves!  My max is 200 and for comfort, I generally keep it around 150.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32554 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:12 pm »

Seems like about 150 is a good area for my old computer and I've been letting the population slowly go down from 200 through attrition from whatever. I did lose 5 dwarves to a construction accident recently though.

I don't think my old computer could handle much more than 200, FPS wise.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32555 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:32 pm »

Uristebal, Spring of the year 6
Well, we've finally gotten here. Lots o' trees, an' a nice, juicy hill ta' dig into. STRIKE THE EARTH, LADS!

Felsite
An' strike the earth we did. So far, we've gotten a makeshift living area in the dirt set up, an' the carpenters are workin' on beds. The miners are workin' away at the stone, diggin' out some proper- What the bloody hell? We've hit the caverns already?!  Well....
FUCK.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32556 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:35 pm »

Must not have put enough levels between the surface and caverns in advanced worldgen.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32557 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »

I've noticed smaller worlds have shallower caverns. In a pocket world I once managed to hit a cavern only 6z below the surface.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32558 on: January 28, 2014, 03:26:32 pm »

Must not have put enough levels between the surface and caverns in advanced worldgen.
Didn't use advanced, my tiny brain can't comprehend it.

Overseer's personal note concerning a cavern problem:
Although the fortifications have been set up on the stairway intersecting the caverns, the traps have not.
This presents a problem
As there is a troll on the other side of the door.
This presents TWO problems.
1: There is a troll on the other side of the door, growling and being all.... troll-ey, so it's scaring my miners out of digging out the fortress proper.
2: There is a troll on the other side of the door, so I cannot open this door to put traps down to make sure there isn't a troll on the other side of the door.
There should be a name for what this troll is doing.
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32559 on: January 28, 2014, 03:32:31 pm »

Put a wall in front of the door, wait until the troll finally smashes the door (only to be greeted by a wall) and leaves the map, then do whatever you need to do to secure the cavern opening.

Meanwhile, get your farms and basics set up.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:37:27 pm by smjjames »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32560 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »

Put a wall in front of the door, wait until the troll finally smashes the door (only to be greeted by a wall) and leaves the map, then do whatever you need to do to secure the cavern opening.

Meanwhile, get your farms and basics set up.

Already solved the problem, although in an entirely different, lengthier, more inefficient way. That, and my basics were already set up.

Memory of Doof, fortress founder
ACK, AH'VE UNLOCKED THE- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! TROLL IN THE FORTRESS! RUN AWAY! BEAT ON IT! KILL IIIIIIIT!

Autumn of 6
Well, after a very lengthy fight that involved the death of one miner, we've managed to beat the troll to death. This task required 14 dwarves, and about 3 months. Progress on the fortress proper has been delayed, and we now need another miner. On the bright side, we all now know a little bit more about beating things up. Just a little.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32561 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 pm »

I've got a pretty shallow cavern situation now too. I didn't manage to wall it off before I died the first time so I reclaimed. I've been going for years now, but am currently under a really annoying series of goblin sieges that keeps my liaisons out and, thus, I haven't had any migrants come in several years. I'm down to 34 dwarves, including 4 kids. Anybody got any tips on dwarven matchmaking? I've never had a marriage in any of my fortresses...and I haven't had any babies in six years.

On the plus side, since I haven't been able to use the surface to make my usual "safe route" for digging down into the caverns, I have managed to give every dwarf a bedroom with at least 30 extras. Each room is equipped with a bed, cabinet, chest/coffer, armor rack, weapon rack, and door.

I'm a nice overlord (and this game is getting boring! Give me 50 migrants, please, Mr. RNG.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32562 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »

Anybody got any tips on dwarven matchmaking? I've never had a marriage in any of my fortresses...and I haven't had any babies in six years.

Create any number of high-quality bedrooms that also include a food and drink stockpile.  Make each room a separate burrow and assign your potential couples.  Clear all their jobs and let them loiter in their burrows and they'll start to socialize and eventually get married.  I once had a couple that was romantically involved for 20 years with no sign of progress.  I moved them into one of the "vacation lodges" and they finally got hitched.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:50:37 pm by VerdantSF »

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32563 on: January 28, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »

All right, I'll work on that during the next siege. Too much to do outside right now to give anyone a break.

Also: The fortress attracted no migrants this season.

AARGH!

At least we've almost finished walling in six more pastures to expand our meat production. We only have 650 animals in 3 pastures right now...

EDIT: drat, one of my kids is possessed. Not even gathering materials because I have no shells, and my biome doesn't have any shell-bearing critters either. Haven't seen a caravan since the elves two sieges ago. The humans haven't come back since several years ago, when I got sieged as they were leaving and they went beserk in my fortress...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:54:03 pm by MrsStick »
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32564 on: January 28, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »

Be willing to sacrifice 3 -4 dwarves to lifetime military service and either danger room them or get them training nonstop for a year or two. They'll take care of the goblin situation rather quickly if they have swords, spears or axes. Alternatively, as you're in dire straights it seems, construct a hall of death using bridges and just crush the initial wave or two of goblins into oblivion. When a large number of their guys die in one fell swoop the rest tend to cut and run.
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 3842