Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095767 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32280 on: January 19, 2014, 01:46:15 am »

Ah, that's probably it.  Make sure the kids also have access to new clothing or they'll throw a fit when their clothes rot.

Yeah, for that I'm just gonna add the clothier's shop to their burrow. Armor/clothing stockpiles don't seem to work for me and I can't be bothered to juggle quantum stockpiling right now...

Edit: Beardling daycare!

Spoiler: It's a bit tall. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:50:10 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32281 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:26 am »

Awesome!  How many beardlings do you have?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32282 on: January 19, 2014, 02:00:11 am »

Awesome!  How many beardlings do you have?

17 at the moment, 13 children. All of them have assigned beds in the daycare, so when the 4 babies hit their first birthdays they should immediately go hang out there. Should.

Laborfords
22nd Felsite, 208

I'm moving my clothing industry closer to the daycare so I can more easily and quickly create a quantum clothing stockpile. I think it involves minecarts...?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32283 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:51 am »

After 8 years of existence, being double my previous longest, Pageconfused has fallen.

It wasn't the goblins, ferric elves, FBs, or moods. One FUN! demon (a titmouse monster) killed both shiny stuff equipped expert squads without suffering a scratch.

I am looking forward to a new challenge, but now consider webs just a little overpowered.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32284 on: January 19, 2014, 02:42:20 am »

After 8 years of existence, being double my previous longest, Pageconfused has fallen.

It wasn't the goblins, ferric elves, FBs, or moods. One FUN! demon (a titmouse monster) killed both shiny stuff equipped expert squads without suffering a scratch.

I am looking forward to a new challenge, but now consider webs just a little overpowered.

Grats on the ‼fun‼!

Laborfords
17th Galena, 208

-yawn-

In other news, I am now 99.999...% sure armor/clothing stockpiles are bugged to NOT WORK FOR CLOTHING. But the minecart delivery system itself works just fine.

Edit, 24th Limestone:

I've changed the minecart delivery system so the adult dwarf rides the cart, and it also works just fine. (I changed it to that so, if/when I lock the daycare doors, the adult dwarf can leave after depositing the load of clothes.)

... I was also immensely amused by how the dwarves who come over to test the route repeatedly ride the minecart back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. This is because I said "ride immediately always", but I like to imagine it's because WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:03:56 am by Lielac »

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #32285 on: January 19, 2014, 04:35:38 am »

Keas. Keas everywhere.

They're hanging around the entrance of my fortress, interrupting my dwarves and pushing them into murky pools or my moat. Out of the 10 dead dwarves I've got now, I think 8 have been drowned by a Kea.

The other two drowned instead in a small flood involving a well, a river, and a river freezing during winter.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32286 on: January 19, 2014, 10:04:11 am »

It turns out that artifact shale floodgates are not magma resistant.

Wasn't a game breaker, because I had other floor hatches / etc setup for the obsidian factory and such. But it breaks the "style" that I had going, and it would have been linked to my only orthoclase lever, and would have symbolized the first opening to magma. This marks the second "significant" time I savescummed. As awesome as it was, I have a busy work schedule and I really want those style points.

The first scum? Well, that time was when I left the door unlocked after opening a sealing bridge. Man, those zombies were all climbin' in my window and snatchin' my people up.

CHR1SZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32287 on: January 19, 2014, 10:26:25 am »

Following the succumbing of one of my dwarves to madness by lack of raw green glass, my dwarves have decided to decorate their legendary dining room with each other's blood and teeth, rather than engrave it  ::)
It's all very epic. Jump off a tower towards a spike pit, and at the last moment attempt to parry the planet.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32288 on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »

I have just created an above ground fort in an embark size 5x5 in the Genesis MOD
The fort resembles a town which has a house built for each individual workshop as well as the 200 dwarfs that occupy it.
Currently working on a luxurious 100x100x 20 castle for my king who will rest uptop burrowed into a skull throne.
once this is done I will be constructing a labyrinth underneath the site which will start from the topmost layer right down into hell which my dwarfs will open and allow mayhem to ensue. The walls will also be engraved and many tombs of fallen dwarfs will be added at various points inside the labyrinth. After which, if my fort has not been crumbled to its knees; My fort will be known as a tribute to Tristram of the Diablo series. I will then abandon the fort and make a warrior human named Aidan who will venture into the unknowable below. His quest may not be so fulfilling this time around, however.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:00:40 pm by tilly »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32289 on: January 19, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

Laborfords
12th Felsite, 209

For the first time in any fort where I didn't touch the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE tag, I saw this. Minkot's two new boys will be named 2090312A and 2090312B respectively; so special!

... Mind, I'm going to do that any time there are multiple beardlings born on the same day, but still.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32290 on: January 19, 2014, 03:35:47 pm »

For the first time in any fort where I didn't touch the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE tag, I saw this. Minkot's two new boys will be named 2090312A and 2090312B respectively; so special!

Grats on the twins!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32291 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »

They are named after their grandfather, who was half automaton.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32292 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »

Grats on the twins!

Thank you!

Pffff naw, that's just what I do for all my beardlings. They don't deserve names until they're working members of society.

Laborfords
4th Malachite, 209

Thanks to the help of Overseer Larix, the automated minecart dispensing of clothing to the daycare finally works. It turns out armor/clothing stockpiles do not work for clothing; clothing is instead a finished good, and so must be stored in that kind of stockpile.

Also, the track appears to be invisibly filled with... something. Whatever it is, it jams open doors and makes dwarves crawl. I'm going to channel through the middle of the track instead; minecarts can jump a single tile hole, right?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:44:16 pm by Lielac »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32293 on: January 19, 2014, 04:39:51 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 159, Mid-Autumn of 348 (Year 97)

There was another werelemur attack, but this time a civilian, Cilob Gillhandle, was bitten before help could arrive.  Due to the wrongful death of Cerol Typhoonmetals-Mirrorwasps in the first year of the fortress, caution tempered with mercy was urged for Cilob.  First, a war leopard and war grizzly were assigned to her.  Then 4 soldiers, including Commander Dishmab and Cilob's older sister, Kadol Lighttool, were stationed in the infirmary.  Though werecreatures were known for their healing abilities, Cilob's wounds were too grievous to wait without treatment until the next full moon. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cilob's treatment took 3 weeks, after which she was quarantined.  The barrier wall was completed on the 7th of Timber, only a day before the full moon.  Once the moon appeared on the horizon... nothing happened at first, but on the 9th of Timber, Cilob transformed.  The war animals assigned to her were also in the quarantine room, as they could not be separated from her in time for the full moon.  Both the leopard and grizzly immediately attacked after Cilob's transformation.  The fight was fierce, but the grizzly landed the killing blow. 

Many of the dwarves of Relicshield were none too pleased with the outcome.  Had war animals not been assigned to her, Cilob would have survived, albeit with the curse.  Others felt that any such creatures were a blight on the fortress, regardless of who they had been as mortals.  War animals slaying her spared any dwarves from having to kill one of their own.  Still, most dwarves sided with imprisonment over death.  Should anyone else fall prey to a night creature's curse, steps will be taken for a better outcome.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32294 on: January 19, 2014, 04:43:11 pm »

Pffff naw, that's just what I do for all my beardlings. They don't deserve names until they're working members of society.
I have a name, and I'm less useful than most babies.
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 3842