Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 [2148] 2149 2150 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096376 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32205 on: January 12, 2014, 12:47:34 am »

A cat suddenly and randomly bled to death for no apparent reason. Prime suspect: Iron hatch cover.

Okay, no, I don't think it was the hatch cover, but it was odd.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32206 on: January 12, 2014, 01:03:25 am »

A cat suddenly and randomly bled to death for no apparent reason. Prime suspect: Iron hatch cover.

Fire imps.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32207 on: January 12, 2014, 01:19:00 am »

Just discovered water pressure. Built an 8 x 8 x 10 high cistern and tapped into it halfway up for a waterfall. As soon as the doors opened the delivery tunnel was full of 7/7 water and my bedrooms & dining hall were 3/7 and rising. Water everywhere. I'd kept everyone out of the way just in case though so no dwarf even got damp.

So I changed the cistern opening to the top level, and while I was at it built a reservoir for a well just below the bottom of the dining hall waterfall. This time the pressure was perfect, just making a nice mist and not overflowing. But for some reason I thought doing this during a goblin siege was a good idea, and forgot to check if anyone was in the way. Like the 3 engravers smoothing the reservoir walls. Now I have 3 corpses at the bottom of the well.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32208 on: January 12, 2014, 09:09:31 am »

Fire imps.

Wasn't anywhere NEAR the volcano top which extends several z levels above the top surface of my fort, and wasn't on fire.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32209 on: January 12, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »

Fire imps.

Wasn't anywhere NEAR the volcano top which extends several z levels above the top surface of my fort, and wasn't on fire.
...A cat vampire, maybe?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32210 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »

I've had injuries from hatch covers. I didn't see the fall itself, but it happened over a ramp while the hatch was being heavily used. What may have happened was that a dwarf standing on the hatch cover suddenly found it vanishing beneath their feet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32211 on: January 12, 2014, 06:14:11 pm »

I've had injuries from hatch covers. I didn't see the fall itself, but it happened over a ramp while the hatch was being heavily used. What may have happened was that a dwarf standing on the hatch cover suddenly found it vanishing beneath their feet.

Huh? It was a cat, not a dwarf, and no combat log either.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32212 on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:53 pm »

Well, it finally happened. A dwarf was just buried under a minecart full of stone pots (which are turn full of booze). I knew it was bound to happen at some point.

See, in the interest of cleanliness and pathing and efficiency, i have a great little distribution from my kitchen to my dining room. We put our alcohol and food into their own respective stockpiles. Then those stockpiles fill up minecarts, which once a month are pushed up a ramp and over a wall into the dining room on the other side. The idea is that they would then disperse these containers of alcohol and food into large stockpiles for them to take from. I even restricted the area where those are dumped.

But timing was wrong, and apparently that particular booze just looked too good. Zuntier says "my, that pot of beer looks good". He walks over, and without even thinking a dwarf dumps the minecart. 24 full pots of booze.

And the onlookers? they're all quite content, happy even. You see, on one hand they jus tsaw a dwarf get killed. On the othe rhand they have had some trully decadent drinks in a legendary dining hall. I mean, priorities, right?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32213 on: January 12, 2014, 08:34:01 pm »

It seems my accidental smashing of the human law-giver completely messed up their diplomacy. I just get sieges every year. The sieges consist of a bunch of bozos camping on the edges of the map, waiting for me to build a military so i can charge their archers over flat ground. If they seriously expect that, they have a long wait before them. Or perhaps they wait for the next version, with better sieges.

It always takes a while of waiting, but sooner or later, their squads eventually file into the bridge tunnel to get themselves squashed. I'd taken pains to set up an artillery bunker, but
1 - i built the bunker one tile too close. If a horse is on the closest tile they can stand, 19 tiles east of the centre of the ballista, the operator gets spooked and runs away.
2 - a single ballista, far away from the main fort? Yeah, it takes forever for someone to show up, and they're all very untrained.

The result were a whopping three shots launched during the entire siege, of which one hit a spear-bearer and tore apart their lower spine. That one was the only survivor of the squad, everyone else patiently awaited their turn under the bridge. That's actually a qualified success - the ballista saved a life!

The diplomat backdoor i installed also worked properly - the liaison started out in the most distant corner possible and went all the way underground to the collection point and inside. This wasn't a proper test, though, since no hostiles have shown up this autumn. Which of course helped getting a trade with the dwarfs, only six years after the last trade.

During the human siege, another visitor showed up - a dragon! Yay, now we can also make dragon soap!

Dream Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32214 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »

Started a new fort just recently, Nistumid "Fearfallen", in some Untamed Wilds. Pretty good resources, tons of fish from the rivers, lots of chalk, a huge underground lake, some copper, silver, and iron, and the magma sea is close to the surface so a convenient metal industry is possible.

Going rather smoothly. A Forgotten Beast showed up early on but it was a humanoid web-shooter made out of mud, I'm pretty sure a marksdwarf cut it in half with a copper crossbow, then they dropped his body into the magma sea.

A metalsmith had a strange mood and became legendary from creating a Floor Hatch, so now my Dwarves can have masterwork silver and iron furniture to grace their rooms. A metalcrafter became legendary earlier by working with silver as well.

My first obsidian farm was set up as well, I'm waiting for my mason to become legendary before they take advantage of it though. Might make an aboveground fort with obsidian walls because Dwarves will be Dwarves.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32215 on: January 12, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »

Okay, i think that's enough for that fort. Another hill titan showed up and demonstrated that i don't have a means to counter the complete clusterfuck that is flyer pathing. It flew into the entrance corridor, hunted the kobold-detector animals stationed there and then got stuck against a ramp. It stayed in place without moving for several weeks. By that time, the dwarven caravan had packed and the guard proved up to the challenge. This rotten piece of shit pterosaur promised to be effectively immune to any trap architecture, because it would path absolutely nowhere.

Still no further loss of dwarven lifes, of course. I'm still sitting at four deaths of citizens total in ten years - two killed by cleaning jobs (under the atomsmasher), one wildlife (kid torn apart by vulture), one by bugged migrants (proper migrant was blocked so long that they spawned into the middle of a double-team kobold ambush).

With the death of the dragon and hill titan, we finally got an age change, which occured at the tail end of the winterly goblin siege (no big deal; for a change, i managed to finish without needing to replace a door - i built a dedicated troll bridge in the location where they stand when demolishing the door).
We are now in the - goblin age. I guess they must be doing quite well if they can afford to piss away around 500 gobbos against a single fortress, in spite of failing to claim a single dwarven life.

I wonder what it takes to make ballistae in the least useful, i had absolutely no success so far.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32216 on: January 12, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »

Just had the best mood ever! I've been drowning in leather, so when a dwarf mooded and headed for the leatherworks right next to the new stockpile I took the opportunity to Planepack the thing. Result: One shield, and one skilled Tanner Waxworker. It's been really slow to raise that skill even with shifting the honeycomb-pressing job over to it, and I've been waiting for a mood for years. There were only 6 dwarves of 51 who haven't mooded yet, and not enough unskilled dwarves to be given just enough XP for that mood.

The modestly-named Clodtrammel contains 709 pieces of leather and a whole rhinoceros skeleton, and could probably double as a door.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32217 on: January 13, 2014, 02:58:23 am »

Thought I'd tackle some cavern-dwellers for the first time. A "voracious cave crawler" looked like a good first target. So I sent in the crack troops.

Learned a really good lesson: Don't fight right next to the magma pool.  :-[ RIP Urdim "the Mess of Gates" who was always the first in and indeed had a habit of making a lot of goblin-mess around the gate.

The next 2 managed to finish it off, the other Legendary +5 speardwarf dodging attacks while the Master Hammerdwarf whacked and bit the crawler from behind. Then it turned and bit his foot off, allowing Asob Roughnessfinger ("the Warm Elevation of Clinching") to land a couple of fatal blows.

Then, looking at my Hammerdwarf's wounds, I see he has a single kill from about 10 years before, and according to engravings on the walls, it was the King of the civilization (incidentally named "The Sack of Craziness"). So he's a regicide on the run to some outpost fort? And if he survives the loss of his foot and the new king turns up later, what will happen?

Also, my mayor "became a vampire mayor" apparently. I should have known after she immediately took out a visiting roc with a single copper bolt. I've locked her in her rooms for now and am building a sniper tower above the entrance. Between bookkeeping and headshotting anything nasty that shows up on the surface she'll make a reasonably good mayor I reckon.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32218 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:57 pm »

Four year old fortress with pop-max upped to 500 (just north of 290 right now), FPS around 30 on an average day.  Just upgraded to a Duchy, and my baroness is a big fan of windows (which is a good match for a volcano + sand embark).  Trade economy is based on green glass, clay, and obsidian (I'm trying to be good and stick to crafts/instruments/mugs, but it's hard with glass serrated disks being so easy and lucrative).  *Slowly* transitioning from iron to steel due to a complete lack of coal in the embark (buying a lot of wood to burn into charcoal, in addition to the usual beds and bins).  I've decided to kill all dometic animals except pets, female cats, and alpacas, to see if I can get to a functional wool/milk supply.  My dwarves have responded by instantly bonding with every stray animal that wanders onto the map, of course.

My first attempt at weaponizing lava from the mouth of a volcano ended in horrible failure; instead of running down the prepared stairwell into the floodgate controlled murder holes over my trade entrance, it instead spread out while falling down the mountainside and blocked off the trade entrance with a spreading layer of lava...and of course I mined the critical channel while the dwarven trade delegation was packing up and preparing to leave.  After some rapid wall construction and a very quick and dirty mining project through the middle of my barracks, I created a new access tunnel to the map edge, allowing the merchants to leave before going insane.

Now constructing a 1-tile water tank with remotely operated drain hatch over the edge of the caldera to (hopefully) make an obsidian plug in the channel where the lava is currently flowing out; I have high hopes that stopping the constant flow of lava down the mountain will improve my FPS some as well.

Also just finished an elaborate green glass bath-house with overly complex filling and draining apparatus.  I am aesthetically offended that the construction dwarves laying the glass floor left bloody boot-stains which have now been splashed all over the tastefully-engraved walls.  Some times I wish the 'cleaning' task was a little higher priority.  Or that moving water would actually clean things instead of just spreading the contaminants around.

The overall threat level seems pretty low; I have an army of hunters out keeping the wild animal population in the 0-5 range most of the time (and keeping me in good supply of meat, bones, and leather), and they have sniffed out the last few ambushes well ahead of them closing the fort allowing me to engage with my military and get some experience (more fun that way too).  Only interesting visitor so far (not including the were-loris in year 1, which was absolutely silly) has been a cylops.  After she chased my alpacas around for a week or two I decided enough was enough, dropped the drawbridge, and sent my whole military out after her.  One militia commander with a short sword got there first, stabbed her repeatedly, sliced off her eyelid (*huh?*), then impaled her in the brain and twisted the sword.  Not exactly the thrilling climax I was looking for, doctors are getting bored (and rusty).  I'm hoping for a good large-scale siege some time soon (preferrably with some building destroyers and flying mounts) to actually test out my defenses.

EDIT: one minor irritation I have right now...for reasons that are unclear to me, my manager won't let me make any upper body covering other than dresses and vests.  Although my dwarfs are fine with everyone wearing dresses, it's a little strange and something I didn't see in my last embark.  Is there any reason why a common clothing item wouldn't be available?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:19:04 pm by Eidre »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32219 on: January 13, 2014, 04:02:50 pm »

So I decided to play around with DFhack. The first thing I decided to do was to see just how effective Fastdwarf really was, as I had a mining project going on to make enough storage space for trinkets and other bits and bobs.

But I had ten fisherdwarves.
Dear Armok
The fish
They were everywhere
EVERYWHEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEE
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity
Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 [2148] 2149 2150 ... 3842