Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097144 times)

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32055 on: January 01, 2014, 04:17:36 am »

Heading into the 2nd winter (the furthest I've ever played), 87 dwarfs straddling a ravine over a mountain lake and rivers.

The meeting hall was carved out under a natural waterfall. Half the apartments across the lake have waterfall-views.

The original cross-ravine bridge was built just above the water level and I kept getting "interrupted by sea lamprey" messages. Initially ignoring these (how dangerous could a fish be  ::)) until the river filled with blood, I was forced to move the bridge up a level and wall off the river after my best miner lost his *back teeth* to a lamprey bite. Nearly 2 years later and he's finally getting surgery.

The first winter saw a Weregiraffe turn up at the front door (with no bridges or military in place yet). It ripped two dwarves to pieces, turned into a human, and walked into a cage trap. He now sits in his cage in the dining room to provide free entertainment for the full moon parties, and to double as a calendar.

The husband of one of the dead dwarves decided to take a bath at the top of the waterfall. I have no idea whether it was actual grief-stricken suicide but it was pretty amazing timing.

All 3 dead dwarves were the most hopeless ones I had, all stone-haulers, so no real loss, just meant everyone had to drag their own blocks for a while until the next wave of slaves migrants.

All was uneventful for a couple of seasons until I thought I'd better check that 4th "dangerous terrain" message and found my river-level basement/tombs filling up with water *very* quickly and threatening to flood all of my lower mining areas. The miners were able to dig out a path to the lower caverns just in time. They're pretty big so I figure it'll take *ages* before that becomes a problem. All 3 of my fortress's babies kept wandering off to play in the flooded basement, to play in 2-deep water next to the partial skeleton of the suicidal farmer. Which makes sense I guess as the only toys they've ever seen get thrown in a smelter on arrival.

Might dig down to find some magma next (lots of coal but I'm sure my dwarves are sick of hauling it everywhere). Given my track record with water so far that could be fun!
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32056 on: January 01, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »

I was forced to move the bridge up a level and wall off the river after my best miner lost his *back teeth* to a lamprey bite. Nearly 2 years later and he's finally getting surgery.

Those back teeth injuries are always hilarious/horrific.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32057 on: January 01, 2014, 05:17:50 pm »

On a side note, does anyone know whether it's possible to hotfix the sober vampires bug?
Give dwarves an interaction that targets the creature doing the interaction, but only if the target has the full set of vampire tokens. Said interaction removes the [NO_DRINK] token for 74000 ticks.

I'm not too confident with interactions though, so I won't give an example.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32058 on: January 01, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »

Those back teeth injuries are always hilarious/horrific.

I imagine dwarven dentists are renowned for their creative use of mining picks.
You've struck root!
The Dwarf Cheese maker gives in to pain.

In other news, two survivors from one of my previous forts in another world have broken though the boundaries of reality just reprise their roles as founders for my latest fort. I'm currently trying my hardest to ensure they do not die horribly to see if they make a hat trick of it.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32059 on: January 01, 2014, 06:08:35 pm »

I love it when a plan works out!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Granted, I'd totally forgotten that I'd left the bridge down, but the 'GET YOUR FREE CORPSES HERE' sign beyond the traps has been there for a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32060 on: January 01, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »

A mummy as stolen cheese, old and musty cheese.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32061 on: January 01, 2014, 06:20:45 pm »

My mines are full of iron and coal. Must smelt. Must forge. Must kill.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32062 on: January 01, 2014, 06:29:45 pm »

In other news, two survivors from one of my previous forts in another world have broken though the boundaries of reality just reprise their roles as founders for my latest fort. I'm currently trying my hardest to ensure they do not die horribly to see if they make a hat trick of it.

What happened to them last time?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32063 on: January 01, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »

What happened to them last time?

They, amazingly, survived. One managed to live through a trip over a waterfall after a channeling accident, and they both survived the pack of Blind Cave Ogres that bum rushed the fort and forced an evacuation. I never met them in the world or heard of them in the Legends Afterwards, but now I know the truth.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32064 on: January 01, 2014, 07:01:56 pm »

Ho hum. Experimenting with larger pits to manipulate minecarts, the most interesting but so far also remarkably useless was the "pentomino" - ramped pits arranged like this:
Code: [Select]
▼.....║
¢¢▼...╣║=
.▼.....║

Pits with track ramps as seen from above, two with hatches over them, ramp orientation to the right.

With both hatches closed, the cart goes in a simple loop, but if the left hatch is open, things get strange. The cart accelerates past derail speed quite quickly, so i added derail track ends with high-friction track stops to keep the cart in the loop. While this succeeds, the cart goes on some convoluted spaghetti course with a ridiculously long period. It gets even crazier when both hatches are open.

The cart passes through nearly every bit of track visible here, in a crazy pattern of ever-changing loops. The actual repeating period seems to include twenty passages through the pits, possibly more.

For now, it's just a conversation piece. I've as yet no idea what use to make of it, although it'd make a nice screensaver.

Other than that, i couldn't come up with a more compact powerless memory cell. I made a working model, but it's nothing new. I think there might be an alternative design with a single straight pit possible, but it promises to be a bit fiddly to build and less versatile.

In other news, the duchess is still busy populating the fort and adopting cats. The first mayoral elections were held and i promptly overrode the result in favour of the old expedition leader. Still two years until the first children grow up.

EDIT: yeah, the memory cell works:

Above the core memory - a single straight double-ramp pit. The cart is either in the northwestern or the southeastern loop and will keep cycling indefinitely, in a stable orbit fully restricted to that loop. The difficulty lies in extracting the cart from the loop when clearing the memory resp. feeding the cart into the loop when "writing" to memory. To achieve that, at the bottom the complete memory cell: the two zinc (teal) hatches are operated by a single signal, clearing memory when the signal goes off, activating the memory when the signal goes on: no matter which way round the cart cycles, it'll pass across the hatch cover over the memory pit to the west, coming to rest by bumping against the wall and sits on top of the northern hatch cover over the western pit. The southern hatch cover is regulated by the data input. When the clear/write hatches open again, the cart falls into the pit, leaves it either to the south or north, depending on the input received, and files either into the northwestern loop (through the southern branch) or the southeastern loop (through the northern branch) and remains in that state regardless of changing data input, until the memory is cleared again.

The clear/load signals must be potentially stable over a quite long time, so work best when run from a lever and not so well when activated by pressure plate. The cell distinguishes between "signal positive", "signal negative" and "memory not loaded". It takes a signal and "remembers" its state indefinitely, ignoring later signal switches.

Damn, i think i'll have to make another computing thread soon, i guess.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:02:52 pm by Larix »

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32065 on: January 01, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »

Dwarven caravan has arrived, followed by a bunch of keas. The area around my fort is littered with bolts and bird corpses. Not all good news though; one of my hunters dodged into the river and drown when a kea attacked him.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32066 on: January 01, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »

Opened up my existing fort after a long hiatus, and here's what I found:
- Lots of yellow exclamation marks and red down arrows in my dining hall
- Elf zombies, I forgot that this is my first necro siege. I think I sent the miltia into the horde, forgetting that zombies get strength-buffs after death
And I am rewarded with a legendary Dwarf Bone Crown after unpausing !! Horray !!

My vampire is sealed away and drinking. Now I just want him to be safe, and confirm that he doesn't actually die of thirst.
He's got CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0:END:70000

Then I can mod/fix the adult size bug and finally make a real fort.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32067 on: January 01, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 159, Early Winter of 344 (Year 93)

Following the advice of other settlements, a majority of the general workers have been conscripted as military reservists.  Clad in leather armor and armed with wooden crossbows, they've proven to be a reliable first response to low level threats, like thieves. 

One unlucky kobold thief attacked Ushat Fissuretour while the unarmed dyer was helping to clear out the aftermath of a siege.  Immediately, the nearest haulers let loose with their bolts.  The kobold only managed a minor cut to Ushat's lower body before being slain.  The dyer only suffered a cut to his lower body and was able to walk to the hospital on his own :).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:25:10 pm by VerdantSF »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32068 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:00 pm »

A wave of migrants just doubled my fort population.

The elves have arrived; shall I deal fairly with them, or kill them and take their stuff with my (armorless, shieldless, poorly trained) marksdwarves?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32069 on: January 01, 2014, 09:49:11 pm »

As irritating as the elves can be, they sometimes bring awesome war animals for trade.  I always deal with them fairly.
Pages: 1 ... 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 ... 3842