Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2135 2136 [2137] 2138 2139 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097151 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32040 on: December 30, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »

The caverns have been infested with trees. I'm currently on a mass logging operation to cut down as many trees as possible to make moving easier.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32041 on: December 30, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »

My mayor/duke keeps mandating figurines made, and since that (and high boots, his other thing^^) are easy to make he gets his wish. However, recently my stonecrafter has kept cranking out figurines of Rigoth Keydusks - so I got curious and took a closer look at one.

This is a superior quality granite figurine of Rig付h Keydusks. 
The item is a superiorly designed  image of Rig付h Keydusks the dwarf and dwarves in granite by Lorbam Kibb詠僕.  Rig付h Keydusks is  surrounded by the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf vampire Rig付h Keydusks to the position of queen of The Clasp of Reigning in 1. 

I think these two want to tell me something. And I think I know just what kind of royal quarters to prepare in case our monarch decides to visit...

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32042 on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »

Carnagemines now has a total of four resident vampires. One metalcrafter, one craftsdwarf, a count, and a king.

...so, yeah. Thank Armok they don't ignore burrow assignments.

On a side note, does anyone know whether it's possible to hotfix the sober vampires bug? As in, can I fix the issue in my current fortress and so have 4 supersoldiers, or are they doomed to be slow-ass idiots carving walls for the rest of their miserable existences?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32043 on: December 30, 2013, 07:24:55 pm »

Another breakthrough in dwarven volumetrics, the mechanised water level gauge is functional. I don't have a body of water that actually needs depth measurement, so i had to build a 1x7 regulator channel that's set to a measurable depth by closing/opening doors (fill the entire channel with 7-high water, close three doors, open them again and after a few ticks of sloshing, you have 4 deep water in all tiles). In an actual measuring context, you'd cut off one tile of river/pond/whatever water from the rest by closing doors around it. That tile is then sucked up by a pump onto a calibrated pressure plate. If the depth doesn't match, another pump sucks off the water onto the next plate and so on until the depth matches the plate senstivity.

In my design, all pumps get powered in order by a simple minecart track with six pressure plates, each three tiles apart. When water depth matches the pressure plate, the power train is disconnected at the root and the next pumps won't go active. The cart gets started by a lever which actually turns the pumps off first (had to go and add 20 tiles of track before the first plate to wait out the 50 steps pumps remain active after powering down). The same lever, when thrown again, returns the cart to the starting position and clears the machine by pumping the measured water to the top pump and opening the raising bridge up there - measured water is handled via crushing/evaporation.

Water depths from 2 to 7 can be measured. Currently, all the machine does with that measurement is display the result on a glorious 4x5 pixel hatch cover display:

Code: [Select]
.cc.....cc......cc...cccc....cc....cccc
c..c...c..c....cc....c......c......c..c
..c......c....c.c....ccc....ccc......c.
.c.....c..c...cccc......c...c..c....c..
cccc....cc......c....ccc.....cc.....c..

Even this simple[1] device already consumed about 230 mechanisms, although half of those were spent linking up the display.

[1] well, simple compared to the stuff i do when i get ambitious.

In other news, the countess finally got a mood. She made a wooden bin, topping out her carpentry skill.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:29:06 pm by Larix »

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32044 on: December 31, 2013, 05:25:35 am »

Hoistedlens continues on. A named magma crab fires a constant barrage of rocks, knocking would-be smelters into the magma sea. They somehow report the existence of a pool up into the third cavern layer before they perish.

Long-imprisoned goblins find themselves released from their cages, only to face a perilous trek down a tiny ledge carved into the side of the volcano's interior until they can reach the fortress proper. Upon setting foot on the ledge, however, they realize it to be merely one last cruel jest by the dwarves as hidden weapons spring from the rocks, forcing them to leap from the ledge to their fiery doom or be diced into pieces and cast into the magma anyway.

And inside the fortress, a daring kobold has somehow snuck past the cat sentries only to be discovered by a dwarf hauler. Instead of returning the way he came, the kobold dashes up the main stairwell, viciously slashing a Furnace Operator's hand as he attempts to flee past. The Furnace Operator simply reaches out with his uninjured arm, circles it around the kobold's fragile throat, and squeezes. Minutes later, the hauler returns, this time for the kobold's corpse.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32045 on: December 31, 2013, 07:35:07 am »

An experimental magma cannon managed to wipe out my oldest fort, population of 634. One of the mechanisms wasn't magma safe, and I was pretty surprised when the entirety on my inner fortress was destroyed. Oops.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32046 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:49 am »

Hmm, now that i've finally built it, the automated obsidian caster is really, really simple. It's not an ambitious design, just a shallow, walled-around 13x21 pan with magma inlet at the bottom and water inlet directly above. All it takes is a single lava-sensitive pressure plate far away from the inlets, linked to two doors - bridge in the magma channel, doors shutting off both magma and water channel. To start, power up the water and magma pumps and open the magma door with an additional start lever. Magma flows in until it touches the pressure plate which sends open signals to both doors, opening the water door. Water flows in and obsidianises the magma, once it reaches the pressure plate, the plate deactivates, shutting both doors.

Since this is such a simple and useful application of dwarven mechanics, is this already in the wiki somewhere?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:42:25 am by Larix »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32047 on: December 31, 2013, 09:11:21 am »

Building my first volcano fort in a long while, thinking of doing a clay industry (got two potters who like stoneware :P.) It's a frozen taiga biome. Haven't tapped a volcano tube since I tried colonizing the interior of a volcano though. That fort was called Burnward for a reason... hoping to have less causalities this time around.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼########
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32048 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 159, Late Winter of 343 (Year 92)

258 goblin and troll prisoners were thrown into the pit at the bottom of the arena to await their fate for the upcoming gladiatorial games.  While the dwarves were careful at first, only removing prisoners with cages adjacent to the hatches, they soon discovered that all of the captives were completely demoralized.  Caution was thrown to the wind and a great goblin & troll pit dropping party commenced!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32049 on: December 31, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »

I added another pressure plate to the bottom of my water level gauge, so it can also measure a "one":
..c.
.cc.
..c.
..c.
.ccc

That's mainly for completeness' sake, outside of computing purposes (although i wonder who'd bother to jump through the stack of hoops required to compute with water depth) there's no use for this option - one deep water can't be picked up by pumps and bodies of water won't really be that deep: they're either 2+ deep or they'll evaporate away.

I spotted another minecart pathing oddity: downward track ramps can typically be used to move a cart down levels, and a horizontally-moving cart will dive into a pit that contains a track ramp. That's a sharp contrast to the behaviour regarding non-track ramps and ordinary holes, carts will usually jump past them. Track ramps are effectively treated as track corners (and are consequently ignored by straight-moving carts going at derail speeds), but as i found now, that also requires the cart to come _from_ a track tile:

==▼       =+▼
Left: two tiles of track, track ramp down - cart goes down the ramp
right: track, smoothed floor, track ramp down - cart flies over the ramp

Unsurprisingly, putting a hatch on top of a track doesn't allow the cart to jump the hole, hatch covers don't obscure track.

However, a bridge is treated as fully valid track by carts, so a z-level switch can be designed by using non-track floor directly before the ramp and covering it with a signal-operated retracting bridge. If the signal is "on", the bridge is retracted and the cart jumps over the pit (e.g. to level ground behind the hole). If the signal is "off", the bridge is extended and the cart dives into the pit.

And happy New Year, everybody!

Edit: using the abovementioned jump feature, i built a single-pit, two-bridge bit compare:
.║..║║║..
=╚+▼▼╝╝

.║..║║║
=╚B▼BB╝

Cart enters from the west and ends up on one of the four branches going off north.

Above just the paths and the crucial non-track spot, below with the two retracting bridges, one over the smooth spot, another, two long, covering both the track corner directly behind the pit _and_ the eastern ramp. The track ramps in the pit are EW in the west, NW in the east (i.e. a corner sending an incoming cart off north).

I built and tested this, it requires a bit more speed than a dwarven push can provide, but with slightly enhanced speed, it works perfectly:

* both signals off: both bridges are extended, the cart enters the pit, tries to leave to the north, but bumps against the western half of the eastern bridge and leaves the pit going west, gets turned around the corner to the north, branch 1.

* first signal off, second on: western bridge extended, eastern bridge retracted. The cart enters the pit and can leave unhindered to the north, branch 2.

* first signal on, second off: western bridge retracted, eastern bridge extended. The cart jumps and lands on the extended eastern bridge, the track corner is obscured by the bridge, so the cart goes straight and ends up on branch 4.

* both signals on: both bridges retracted. The cart jumps over the pit, lands on the track corner behind the pit and follows it to the north, branch 3. This is the case where more than dwarven speed is required, otherwise the cart drops into the eastern pit, gets a weird acceleration and ends up taking branch 2.

The output branches can be collected to correspond to specific logic conditions, or different-weight carts and weight-sensitive plates can be used to check for different logics. Since this gate splits two binary input into the full four possible output branches, it's effectively an all-purpose logic gate:

Path 1 is NOR. Paths 2, 3, 4 together are OR.
Path 3 is AND. Paths 1, 2, 4 together are NAND.
Paths 1 and 3 are NXOR (Equality). Paths 2 and 4 are XOR.

And since there's no meaningful difference between paths 2 and 4, why not just roll them into one? That gets a bit trickier, because "jumping onto the bridge" is the only usable operation for the condition "first signal on, second off", so we'll need to get the "first signal off, second on" to take the same path - i.e. the cart must go into the pit and emerge to the north in such a way that it doesn't take the track corner directly north. Obviously, this can be done by simply merging path 2 into path 4, but it's also possible to make the cart jump from the pit over the corner tile:

Carts emerging from pits can behave differently if there's no ceiling above the tiles they're emerging from and emerging to. This way, a cart going straight through the pit (if the eastern track ramp isn't curved but also EW) will jump over the tile directly behind the pit. Since the cart already entered the operation pit at significant speed, it emerged at high enough speed to actually make it to the level above, where i made it slam into a wall and fall back down to the actual level of the circuit. This of course resulted in a "standing" cart landing on the corner tile of branch 4. Simplistically, you could just engrave straight track on that tile, place a wall behind it to stop the other type of cart and install your "XOR" pressure plate there. I opted for a moving cart, so built a wall behind it as well, but also a wall to the side, to which i attached a track ramp: carts ending up on that tile either bump into the wall one level above or directly behind the branch tile, land on the ramp and roll off slowly onto the branch 2+4. Took me a bit of fiddling, but i got it to work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:00:25 pm by Larix »

Gwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32050 on: December 31, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »

I decided I wanted some fun so I decided to make my first trip to a savage tropical moist broadleaf forest. I embarked with a hunting party, stocked up on big-game ammo, and made sure everyone was a good dodger, and had dreams to amass an army of gorillas and giant tigers. It's been year two in the jungle, and there is no sign of anything fun. One of my hunting dogs killed a giant louse though. It has a bruised tail.

Over my brook I've constructed a cacao wood palisade with a mango wood roof and flooring, which two rangers patrol constantly.
I nearly flooded my dining hall by forgetting to take the water pressure off of my brook-fed well.
I have 300 animals, 290 of which are birds. I had no idea they could multiply so fast, but perhaps I can use the useless males as bait for outside cage traps.

My rangers train constantly with their masterwork kapok crossbows and palm wood bolts, eagerly awaiting their chance to hunt larger game.
My wood crafter/carpenter/architect/bowyer is overworked and probably has a nervous tick.
My lumberjack has made the Elven most wanted list.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:32:51 pm by Gwen »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32051 on: December 31, 2013, 08:32:39 pm »

Started up a new fort and looked at the group name. Dwarf Fortress decided I should be called The Horrible Nightmare.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32052 on: January 01, 2014, 01:54:12 am »

I started a fort.  I was having issues with manpower and aquifer.  Ibusted through right after the 3rd migrant wave in spring.  44 buggers, 12 children in a fort that previously had 13.  I had dorms prepped, but . . .

I set a meeting point on tge center of the plug.  Something- somehow, forsomereason, something collasped, killing 3 children and a few dogs.  :[  Looks like fun

edit:
AmI a bad person for laughing?  4 children and a mother went on a ramage already.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:00:24 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32053 on: January 01, 2014, 02:04:00 am »

A little off-topic, but HAPPY NEW YEAR, Mountain Standard Time!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32054 on: January 01, 2014, 02:45:29 am »

Am I a bad person for laughing?  4 children and a mother went on a rampage already.

Only if I'm a bad person for laughing when 5 dwarves died in a dumping accident involving rat remains and lingonberry seeds.
Pages: 1 ... 2135 2136 [2137] 2138 2139 ... 3842