Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097276 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32010 on: December 25, 2013, 09:12:57 pm »

A single bow goblin ambush force completely nailed my military, and the tantrum spiral was too much. Really should have used the defenses i built for anti-ranged manuvers, but I also kinda wanted blood.

Did I mention they immediately took the weapons off the dwarves they killed to kill the others? One bowgoblin got one of my copper spears and left with a name. I still couldn't figure out the blasted railgun- I'd really like an option that's just "ride and forget" or "push and forget", because I can't understand the current minecart route system. I just want to fling a minecart down a straight rail at some enemies.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: December 25, 2013, 09:48:27 pm »

Dippedpully has fallen, after a good 5 or so years. The curious cause was the mining of drowned militia and goblinite from the frozen moat in Midwinter. I'd tunnelled into it from the fungi level mainly to reclaim some named weapons that fell to the bottom. Even though there was no magma, and the ice had never melted before late spring, it suddenly all melted exactly on Midwinter, and the 40 or so dwarves engaged in salvage all drowned.

And the FPS is sitting around 4.

Damn climate change...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32012 on: December 25, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »

Soo... Minecarts.

I finally figured out how the trackstop QSP works and got one running.

THen I learned how to make a minecart railgun. With a set of impulse ramps spanning half of a 7x8 embark. Accidentally.

There are so many blood stains the wall looks like it was painted. I don't even know what got killed.  ::)

At least I managed to get an Admantine breastplate artifact during all the chaos.
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32013 on: December 26, 2013, 10:58:08 am »

How DOES it work? I'm trying to build a fire-and-forget minecart launcher, that maybe a dwarf can haul the minecart back to the launcher, but otherwise is left alone. I guess I could work with a minecart shotgun, feasibly filling it with +copper short swords+ and watching the carnage.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: December 26, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »

How DOES it work? I'm trying to build a fire-and-forget minecart launcher, that maybe a dwarf can haul the minecart back to the launcher, but otherwise is left alone. I guess I could work with a minecart shotgun, feasibly filling it with +copper short swords+ and watching the carnage.

Everybody's talking about minecart guns, and I'm still sitting here trying to figure out the power system and how to build an automated pump stack. It's like that one kid in a class where you make things, and everybody's on to the last stage of their project while he's still looking for the glue/nails.

In other news, the fortress of Angerboot has fallen after three years of otters and deep wolves. Cause of death: magma. Lots of magma.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:23:39 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: December 26, 2013, 07:31:00 pm »

Everybody's talking about minecart guns, and I'm still sitting here trying to figure out the power system and how to build an automated pump stack.
automated pump stack.
automated
Hubbawha?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32016 on: December 26, 2013, 07:39:55 pm »

Hubbawha?
I'm pretty sure you can make it automated by building a pumpstack as usual, then supply it with power via gearboxes, with it being produced by waterwheels/windmills. I've yet to do this myself, though, so it's all based off of what I've read from the wiki.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: December 26, 2013, 07:49:09 pm »

No, my point it, he's far ahead of me. :P To extend his metaphor, I'm still looking for the classroom, having successfully found the school.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

cethegus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32018 on: December 26, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »

Was bored, and designed a [tidal wave based] reactor/freshwater converter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As waves seem to travel along a channel unlimited, i will try to use them as mist generators via floor grates...

And if that doesent work well, i am on a volcano island. Shouldnt be that hard to set up mist generators EVERYWHERE with all that free glass from the beaches?

kibaseviltwin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Half-Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: December 27, 2013, 04:46:16 am »

So i ended up digging all the way down, and in my first adamantine vein i encounter HFS, no seeing this i send in my military off 30 or so dwarves in to fight of the Hordes of !!Fun!! Stuff. The least skilled of them was a master with over half of these dwarves being legendary in there chosen weapon (I allowed them only to train and sleep). so the battle is finished once i open half a volcano on the bastards i then go into my military to see what is left when i find my new military commander

i then looked at her kill list while it included only three things i was impressed, because it contained only demons, but it contained the one that had killed her mother

All glory to Meph, a Legendary +15 modder and expert Forum Poster

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: December 27, 2013, 01:51:30 pm »

Pre-fort, actually, but I was browsing legends for background info (civ histories, interspecies relationships, living megabeasts, noteable entities), and I found a band of 3 dragons.  after 200 years they killed over 1000 named entities.

One had 500 kills
One, 300, with over ten nicknamed champions
One, ~200, Almost all dwarves.

hehe, i think its the civ up northeast in the tundra.  going there, i think.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: December 27, 2013, 05:30:14 pm »

So i ended up digging all the way down, and in my first adamantine vein i encounter HFS, no seeing this i send in my military off 30 or so dwarves in to fight of the Hordes of !!Fun!! Stuff. The least skilled of them was a master with over half of these dwarves being legendary in there chosen weapon (I allowed them only to train and sleep). so the battle is finished once i open half a volcano on the bastards i then go into my military to see what is left when i find my new military commander

i then looked at her kill list while it included only three things i was impressed, because it contained only demons, but it contained the one that had killed her mother

Wait. Why is she nine?

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: December 27, 2013, 08:55:11 pm »

Playing in an evil forest biome. I got lucky, and the only cursed weather is Nausiating Sludge rain that makes dorfs puke, Human Blood rain that >appears< to have no side effects, and Putrid Muck rain that makes dorfs thirsty (granted, they get REAL thirsty, and my brewers has been confined to a bedroom, personal dinning room, and sill to work full time).

I intend to carve my fort partially into the side of a great cliff face. Work is progressing slowly, though, because the area is infested with Harpies who love to chase my dorfs of the edge of the cliff and Ogres who bee-line straight to my entrance because they want to destroy the migrant control door. Worse case was one Ogre who got up on the 3 tile wide bridge spanning from the top of the cliff to a mountain top on the other side of the map I was forced to build to prevent caravans from standing around until they go insane. He managed to toss 3 dorfs off the edge (50z drop) before the sharpshooters dropped him.

But on the plus side, I got a new Militia Commander promoted from the ranks of the Grunts. Right after a fight with an ogre, in which his weapon had was smashed off, he was heading back to the hospital (weaponless, mind you) when he bumped into a kobold thief. Poor kobold obviously interrupted him when he was in a sour mood, though. The dorf managed with only his left hand to remove the tunic from the kobold and proceeded to beat him to death with his own shirt.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:03 pm »

Some experimentation with unhealthy temperatures established some new knowledge:

- dwarfs can survive outdoors for a while in climates that flash-boil entire lakes. After a few days, they'll start to melt, though. If you abandon the fort before they die, they can still immigrate to new forts with nothing worse than missing head fat. It was quite funny to look at the lake and river that kept spawning clouds of steam at the map borders. Brooks will also boil away - steam forms underneath the "brook/dry brook" surface.

- in ultra-hot biomes, your embark party cannot set foot on the ground. They spawn on the map border, unable to move until they die of blood loss.

- i haven't found a biome too cold to properly embark on: the embark party has always been placed properly. In deadly cold biomes, all plant and animal materials will decay almost instantly. This means your wagon and all your food. Booze will keep sitting on the floor as a barrel-less glob, i've not found a way to make that useful. My embark equipment was quickly reduced to two picks, two axes and an anvil. Staying outside for long enough will eventually kill animals and dwarfs, dwarfs may last a bit longer because their clothes protect them for a while, but may decay and disappear if it's cold enough. All my starting animals and two migrants died of cold. Another migrant survived but suffered frostbite in all of its teeth. ???
Fortunately, the caverns were very shallow, so with a bit of judicious herbalism, i could kick-start food production in spite of a short scare when one miner got hungry enough to try hunting vermin. ("Hunting vermin" is the kiss of death for a fledgling fortress - it will override any other job and will be performed regardless of whether there's any huntable vermin around; your dwarfs will starve to death because they unsuccessfully hunt inexistant vermin instead of doing something to actually get hold of food.)
I only get dwarven caravans, and the cold destroys most of their wares on the way to the depot.

- I don't know what the cut-off points are, but in very hot and cold biomes, no wandering critters seem to spawn. I have a scorching desert biome that hasn't seen a single non-civ visitor aboveground, and no animals have spawned in the ultra-cold terrifying mountains. Underground creatures do spawn, and caravans as well as thieves show up, too.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:36 am »

A recruit decided to start a fistfight in my main drink stockpile. He punched a planter to death in front of 30 witnesses. Hope you enjoy your 201 days in prison, buddy!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 3842