Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 [2129] 2130 2131 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098337 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31920 on: December 13, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »

Like I mentioned, it's info from the wiki.

There's nothing on nether-cap's talk-page to confirm or deny its resistance to magma, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31921 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

Like I mentioned, it's info from the wiki.

There's nothing on nether-cap's talk-page to confirm or deny its resistance to magma, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Thus why I must ‼science‼ at it, to ascertain the validity of the wiki's statements.

(I should probably go to sleep, I'm using excessively formal language because I find it giggle-worthy...)

Edit, Orbeagles, 12th Felsite 204:

AWW YISSSSS NICE SIEGE

They've got friggin' giant cave swallows. NEAT.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:28:23 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31922 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:22 am »

Relicshield, pop. 160, Late Winter of 341 (Year 90)

Atis and Kosoth Blockadetempted lost their only son, Atis II, to a goblin snatcher. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The news shocked the fortress, as the last abduction of a child happened 80 years ago.    Overconfidence was the root cause.  Despite a goblin incursion, the order for all civilians to return to safety was never ordered.  With siege after siege beaten back, the danger of quick goblin snatchers was overlooked just this once to tragic results.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:24:59 am by VerdantSF »

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31923 on: December 14, 2013, 05:24:17 am »

I'm making a "prison" type fortress.

The first two migrant waves are considered as normal dwarves, and the expediton leader was renamed to "Warden".
Any more migrant waves will be considered as "prisoners". They will be locked up in a prison of sorts.
No criminals have arrived yet, but I'm preparing for them.

At the end of the first year, I've got the normal fortress set up and some basic neccesities of the prison.

Above ground:

The river is frozen year round, since my embark is in a freezing biome.

The prison:

My plan is to make half of the prisoners make metal crafts and other stuff out of metal.
Then one quarter miners and one quarter haulers. A lot of guards will patrol the prison.

Also, my civ is probably the most un-dwarven dwarf civ I've seen.

I like to think that the prisoners are supporters of dwarf rights. :D

ond_magiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31924 on: December 14, 2013, 05:33:49 am »

As most Dwarf Fortress players already know, science isn't the only truth-finding methodology. An insightful mason finally discovered why my woodcutter went missing.

"The artwork relates to the encasement of the dwarf Lumberer Goldblushed in ice in Dabblerdagger in the midwinter of 261."

The weird thing is I haven't ever noticed water freezing on the map.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31925 on: December 14, 2013, 12:18:17 pm »

Orbeagles
28th Slate, 206

More than four years ago, one of my original 7, a miner, was hurt during a cave-in. Her lower spine's nervous tissue was cut open, but despite the fact that I have plenty of crutches she will. Not. GET ONE. So she's been crawling around since forever. UUUUUUGH.

-sigh-!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31926 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:04 pm »

The sewer system of Walldreams survives through the winter, with only a pillar of ice forming under the well, rendering only it useless. If the masses of injured soldiers in the hospital need water, then people can just drop under a dwarfhole and collect direct from the waterway.

Orbeagles
28th Slate, 206

More than four years ago, one of my original 7, a miner, was hurt during a cave-in. Her lower spine's nervous tissue was cut open, but despite the fact that I have plenty of crutches she will. Not. GET ONE. So she's been crawling around since forever. UUUUUUGH.

-sigh-!
I think they still need at least one viable leg to use a crutch.

As most Dwarf Fortress players already know, science isn't the only truth-finding methodology. An insightful mason finally discovered why my woodcutter went missing.

"The artwork relates to the encasement of the dwarf Lumberer Goldblushed in ice in Dabblerdagger in the midwinter of 261."

The weird thing is I haven't ever noticed water freezing on the map.
Encasement might also mean being encased in obsidian. It might also have frozen for just a second. With sufficient water, there should be a noticable lag spike(turning into several seconds of unresponsiveness if it's an entire ocean) when it happens.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31927 on: December 14, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

Orbeagles
28th Slate, 206

-sigh-!

Crawlers are the most tenacious dorfs, resilient in combat, never tantrum, and continue working even though they are lame. You sir, are truly blessed by Armok. Make this lady your hammerer.

-Question:
If you had the choice between a site with 5000ish emeralds and one with 2000 Light Yellow + 4000 Faint Yellow Diamonds, which would you choose? (I really want rubies and sapphires but prospecting has only yield deposits in the hundreds.)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31928 on: December 14, 2013, 01:02:07 pm »

Depends on what you're after.  Diamonds are generally easier to mine out, as emeralds tend to be adjacent to magma; so, if you're looking to get max value (and therefore max FUN), go with the diamonds.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31929 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »

Orbeagles
28th Slate, 206

-sigh-!

Crawlers are the most tenacious dorfs, resilient in combat, never tantrum, and continue working even though they are lame. You sir, are truly blessed by Armok. Make this lady your hammerer.

-Question:
If you had the choice between a site with 5000ish emeralds and one with 2000 Light Yellow + 4000 Faint Yellow Diamonds, which would you choose? (I really want rubies and sapphires but prospecting has only yield deposits in the hundreds.)

DIAMONDS

Orbeagles
22nd Hematite, 206

After sorting through my dwarves and deciding who was useful and who, well, not, I've come up with 47 dwarves who will become my dedicated haulers and military. The most pathetic 7 have become my fortress guard, and I've created 4 other squads centered around axes, hammers, spears, and swords.

I then proceeded to take shameless advantage of the "rename squad" feature.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31930 on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »

Very punny, I like it!
A ton of my recent migrants have all been former liaisons and traders from the last few caravans. This makes me wonder exactly how well my civ was doing before I founded this current fort...

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31931 on: December 14, 2013, 02:15:35 pm »

Perhaps your mountainhome was bought out by Google?  :P
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31932 on: December 14, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »

Orbeagles
17th Galena, 206

I got rid of the latest siege so fast they were gone in time for the humans to show up. SWEET. Also a human diplomat, how fascinating...

But now my FPS is down to sub-50 because I have the better part of two sieges in my HFDP.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31933 on: December 14, 2013, 03:40:06 pm »

So the Olm landed directly on the Forgotten Beast, but both failed to take any damage from the fall.  The Echidna missed and died on impact.  Next up, a Giant Rat and a bunch of War Dogs.

And yes, I realize that in trying to kill a giant raccoon by dropping dogs on it, I've become the villain in some sort of I-Phone game, and I'm okay with that.

If you are planning on being able to retrieve any corpses, you'd have a better chance with dropping rocks onto the FB.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31934 on: December 14, 2013, 04:03:21 pm »

So, I just embarked on a sinister tundra, and I haven't even unpaused the game. This is what immediately pops up.
(ignore the Macafee thingy in the corner, i HAtE Macafee D:<) I'll take a look into legends later to see who/what it exactly is. The wierd thing is the lack of mega and semimegabeasts in Legends mode (pocket world, long history). Apparently my raws are also f@!#ed up, because I embarked as a group of humans...
Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 [2129] 2130 2131 ... 3842