Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2126 2127 [2128] 2129 2130 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098303 times)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31905 on: December 13, 2013, 01:03:19 am »

After 19 years I've gotten some 3250 kills on goblins trolls and assorted critters and I've not had a migrant in ten years, I use the DFHack utility to cut my dead list to the 500 or so dead dwarves. elves and humans that I had.  I finally get 7 migrants 5 of the 7 are former outpost liasions and 3 of them like mead (yes I have bees and mead).

I've had what appears to be every trader that made it off map alive migrate here. I've had to use tweak fixmigrant command so many times. I wonder if the mountain home is running out of people.

My honeymoon suite is dug out now to stock it with a small farm plot a nest box and some workshops (still, farmer's workshop, loom, clothier's workshop, kitchen, carpenter's shop) and some stockpiles, and a pair of bedrooms and a meeting room/dining room, axe and a pick, burrow the two selected forced love birds and then wall them in, not to be released till they move into one bedroom together.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31906 on: December 13, 2013, 03:59:17 am »

I want my Duchess to be in a military squad all by herself, but she can't be a militia captain and I can't assign her to a squad and then remove its captain.

If I kill the captain, will I still be able to order the Duchess as a squad all by herself?

You can have landed nobles who are military captains or commanders by giving them the military rank before they get elevated into the nobility. Obviously, the chance is gone by the time they've become baron/ess. And dwarfs with military rank at the moment of ennoblement can bug themselves into being eternally on break - they'll follow military orders but won't do civilian jobs including holding meetings.

And you can give attack and move orders to individual military dwarfs: 's'quad - 'p' to switch to individual selection - pick squad to choose from - pick soldier(s) to order around. The orders will be followed by the individual dwarfs you choose, the rest of the squad will carry on with their usual business. I haven't tried, but i think the schedule orders (active/inactive, what to do each month) are whole-squad only.

Am I a Dwarf Fortress player?

Probably more of one than me, since my first instinct when looking at a problem _isn't_ gratuitous dwarf-murder.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31907 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:52 am »

Just had a 75 unit goblin siege, 1 troll squad and 4 or 5 goblin squads, all mounted on cave crocodiles.

Versus my 5 or 6 legendary military members plus their students, totaling about 30, no traps or other fun stuff, just home-forged dwarven copper equipment.

The dwarves met the goblins from the ramparts, firing bone and copper bolts from the fortifications to the east and south, trying to inflict some wounds on the advancing army. Most of them were not carrying any ammunition (damn) and weren't very skilled, but did manage to get a few wounds in. The rest of the army waited around the corners of the southern wall, but they realized two squadmates weren't present...

They were outside the walls, trying to pick up gear! The military scrambled to meet the goblin forces at the main entrance, only to find a speardwarf dead, and the legendary sworddwarf, Sodel Startheaters. Startheaters was standing over the corpse of the speardwarf, fighting not one, but THREE squads of bowgoblins mounted on cave crocodiles! Wave after wave of bolts he dodged, getting bowled over constantly by the crocs, rising just in time to avoid another barrage from the riders. The only wound he suffered was a cut to his left arm.

The rest of the military caught up a few moments later, and began fighting off the other 2 squads, helping Startheaters with 2 other squads. The troll group and a few goblins began making their way into the main fort, seeing that my military had their hands full. I ordered the military back to the main entrance by the trade depot, and they slaughtered their way back, wading over goblin and cave crocodile corpses, with the occasional troll thrown in.

Three trolls managed to make it into the fort proper, only to be met by the crossbow-armed populace (probably why my marksdwaves had no ammo). The trolls met their match, bone bolts piercing their hides and breaking their bones, keeping them in place until the military arrived and finished the job.

A lone goblin was spotted running across the desert landscape, and orders were given to let him run. Better to have one survivor tell the tale  of copper-clad dwarves cutting through an invasion force like a hot knife through butter than let the psychological warfare chance go to waste.

A few dwarves are injured, a few missing minor limbs, four died and will be dumped into the magma sea, to keep necromancers from raising them. Two of the dorms have been turned into makeshift hospitals, and any dwarf with medical experience has been told to help the wounded in any way possible. Thankfully we have a few bars of soap produced, and easy water from the aquifer just under our feet.

Now to dump the goblin corpses into the magma, and butcher the mounts, and stockpile the gifts from Goblin Christmas.

EDIT: One of the cave crocs had a native platinum gizzard stone. Wow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:40:31 am by Lich180 »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31908 on: December 13, 2013, 11:16:22 am »

Not bad for copper clad dwarves!  I especially liked the part with the armed civilians keeping the trolls at bay until soldiers arrived.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31909 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:15 am »

missing minor limbs

What's a minor limb?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31910 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

Outpost Orbeagles
1st Granite, 201 (Year 1)

Excellent layer stone turnout, with black sand and marble boulders on the surface. DFHack, however, revealed that the Tetrahedrite Menace has struck and the only iron I'm getting will be goblinite. Lovely. On the other hand, FRIKKIN' MARBLE

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #31911 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »

Quakefogs, cautiously settled after the horrifying tragedy in the nearby Gatenames, hasn't been without turmoil in its first year.

The expedition leader, Aqua, and miner/mason 'Grumbles' managed to trap themselves and Bill the farmer in my newly excavated fortress. While attempting to dig themselves out, they decided to hunt for small creatures to keep from starving. They died of hunger rather than digging themselves (ONE DAMN BLOCK) to safety. Bill the farmer is now also Bill the miner, after saving himself and letting the other 4 dwarfs back into the fort.

After a migrant wave, progress has picked up a bit, but since my mechanic/mason went berserk I haven't had a trained mason. So I'm way behind on tables/doors/chairs etc. Guess we'll be limping forward until I get some more experienced workers.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31912 on: December 13, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

missing minor limbs

What's a minor limb?
A limb you don't need, like left hand. You still have a completely functional right arm to place 100 shields on.

It was a left hand on a sword dwarf, who promptly picked up his shield in his right and went back to training after the fight. I think that was the worst injury, there were a few broken bones and a broken skull, but that's all. I was thinking of importing better metals, but with this performance I'm considering just making weaponry with them.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31913 on: December 13, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »

Village Orbeagles
21st Timber, 203

... I really need to put in a NOPE bridge to prevent goblin escapes from the Happy Fun Death Pit. I've extended it to 21 z-levels deep and they're still not freaking instagibbing at the bottom, and now they've managed to splat some of the dwarven caravan in the pit because the wagons take the wagon-only route while the footmerchants take the trapped route. JEEEEEEZ

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31914 on: December 13, 2013, 07:18:18 pm »

What you need is to make the depot isolated from the main path to your soft dorfy peasants, who are the draw for the goblins, with an airlock. Place upright wooden spikes at the bottom of the pit.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31915 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:07 pm »

What you need is to make the depot isolated from the main path to your soft dorfy peasants, who are the draw for the goblins, with an airlock. Place upright wooden spikes at the bottom of the pit.

Wooden anything is a bad idea 'cause I've got plans to flush the pit with magma periodically to cleanse it of the non-iron goblinite. I've solved the problem by inserting a drawbridge before the bottom of the stairs back to the top of the HFDP that I can close when I don't want goblins interrupting my trading time by trying to run away. I'll have to replace it with a magma-safe material at some point, but other'n that it's hunky-dory loveliness.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31916 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »

Nethercap and glass are magma proof   ;D
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31917 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »

Nethercap and glass are magma proof   ;D

Only nethercap is wood, though :P

Got plenty of sand, on the other hand, soooooo :D

STRIKE THE EARTH. WE'RE GOING MAGMA HUNTING.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31918 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:58 pm »

Nether-cap is special because unlike other types of wood, it has a fixed temperature of 10,000-U, which is the freezing-point of water. This means that it is fire-proof and magma-proof, since it's temperature will not move from 10,000-U to a temperature at which it would start taking damage or be set ablaze, even if it is surrounded by fire or submerged in magma.

Though that may only apply to built objects made of nether-cap, since the wiki states that loose items may take damage if submerged in magma.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31919 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:56 pm »

Nether-cap is special because unlike other types of wood, it has a fixed temperature of 10,000-U, which is the freezing-point of water. This means that it is fire-proof and magma-proof, since it's temperature will not move from 10,000-U to a temperature at which it would start taking damage or be set ablaze, even if it is surrounded by fire or submerged in magma.

Though that may only apply to built objects made of nether-cap, since the wiki states that loose items may take damage if submerged in magma.

I'unno! I think I'll ‼SCIENCE‼ it once I breach the caverns and get a decent tree farm going.

Pages: 1 ... 2126 2127 [2128] 2129 2130 ... 3842