Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2116 2117 [2118] 2119 2120 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099410 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31755 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:54 pm »

^ Damn that's a lot of webs. Got a silk industry? :3

Also:

'Lovedsabres' is a competent swordsdwarf. ...cool.

Edit: And the queen of my civilization is a goblin. ...wow.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31756 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »

A quintet of Troglodytes just wandered into my caverns.  I'm leaving them be for the time being, since I'm not using that part of the cavern for much yet, but I'll have to keep an eye on them, lest they start making their way up towards the inhabited levels.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31757 on: December 06, 2013, 02:34:55 pm »

Edit: And the queen of my civilization is a goblin. ...wow.

What's her name?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31758 on: December 06, 2013, 03:12:44 pm »

What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31759 on: December 06, 2013, 03:37:34 pm »

Up to six full time breweries to quench the growing thirst of my ~250 dwarves.  A bit more than is necessary, but it'll help me build up my reserve in case anything should go wrong.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31760 on: December 06, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

Ashlander nomads left the farmworker Shorast dead, prompting catacombs to be dug, the poor fellow having blundered into a pair of snatchers.

Colonel Ashmon routed a force of frogmen alone, leaving the battlefield strewn with their remains and gear, as well as two ashlanders. This was all promptly gathered and dumped on the visiting elves for a little bit of booze, some mithril bars, clay, and cages. Never know when you'll need cages.

Fortifications completed... Sorta. There won't be invaders dropping down on our heads from above anymore, but we'll need to work on building proper towers and the upper walls.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31761 on: December 06, 2013, 04:17:06 pm »

I popped over to Legends to check her out. The year is 1051.

She's a seven-hundred-and-thirty-year-old goblin vampire, cursed in 687 at the age of 366. She has over 1900 kills. She's been the queen of my dwarven civilization, The Primitive Rock, since 466 at the age of 145. Her mother is still apparently living, but her father died one year before she became the queen of the dwarves. Her husband is still living, and they're the same age. Of their four children, only the youngest (a son) is still living. Over thirteen hundred of her kills have been humans and dwarves in the mountainhome, Bookmurder, which has stood since year 1.

However, while checking through various legends pages, I found another individual who caught my attention:

Bomrek Constructswims.

Born in the year 54 to his loving parents, Bomrek Flyfortresses and Dastot Ravenwhip, in the tiny dwarven outpost of Orderurns, neither he nor his parents knew he was destined for greatness. He married at the age of twelve, to a dwarf who had been abducted by goblins when she was a child. (She was rescued after some four years of captivity and reunited to her parents.) Perhaps it was her influence which later led him to become the greatest dwarven general of all time.

After four years of farming for The Primitive Rock in Hammerroof, where he and his wife settled after their marriage, Bomrek became the general of The Primitive Rock and moved to the mountainhome, Bookmurder.

His first military campaign began when he was nineteen, in the year 73. The Primitive Rock assaulted the Dark Fortress Entrylie of The Occult Poisons, a goblin group. In a decisive victory, Bomrek and his forces overwhelmed the goblin defenders and pillaged the fortress. It was his first taste of revenge on behalf of his wife's four years of captivity, and it would not be his last.

Despite the thrill of war, though, Bomrek returned to Bookmurder and lived a peaceful life for some time. He began to worship Istrath, the Jewels of Gilding, a deity associated with trade and wealth, most often taking the form of a male dwarf. In the year 80, he descended into the depths of the earth and tamed the voracious cave crawlers he found there before returning to Bookmurder. He did so again three years later, this time taming the cave crocodiles. Over the rest of his life, he made several more trips down into the caverns, taming giant toads in 89, elk birds in 99, and giant rats in 133.

In 86, he became obsessed with his own mortality, an obsession which would ultimately be fulfilled (although not as he had expected).

In 88, Bomrek realized that he had not fully avenged his wife's years in captivity, so he led another assault against Entrylies. The intervening fifteen years had not been enough time for the goblins to prepare; Bomrek's tactics swept aside their defenses as though they were paper, and the fortress was pillaged for a second time. In 89, Bomrek attacked a different goblin civilization - The Persuasive Lie - at Howlflies, winning outright. In 100 and 112, The Primitive Rock's forces annihilated goblin defenders at Howlflies and Grizzlymonster.

But in 149, Bomrek decided to finish what he had started. That year and each successive year until 155, he led the Primitive Rock's forces against - not one - but FOUR different Goblin Fortresses. He struck at Howlflies, Grizzlymonster, Nightmarebasement, and finally the Persuasive Lies' central fortress of Ghoultunnel.

Each time, Bomrek sat behind his lines, refusing to take part in the battles except to order his forces over, around, and through every blockade behind which the goblins tried to hide. Seven times he went on a tour of battle through those four fortresses, annihilating anything that got in his way, but never staining his own hands with the blood of his enemies. He was too good for that.

And for the next fifty years, he sat on his laurels, content with the destruction he had wrought upon the goblins, still seeking after immortality.

In 205, in an unfortunate accident related to his seeking, Bomrek profaned The Abbey of Fortune, a temple to Istrath. He cursed Bomrek to wander the earth in the form of a lemur every full moon for the rest of time. Bomrek had found immortality.

Sadly, it was not to last. Four years after he was cursed and fled from Bookmurder, Bomrek's wife died of old age and sorrow, and in 211, Bomrek himself was sought out and slain by Alath Plankcolumn, a former farmer from Howlflies who had, no doubt, heard of Bomrek's many massacres of his people. It was an ignoble end for such a master tactician.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31762 on: December 06, 2013, 04:44:05 pm »

Ceilingscorch- 255

In addition to their usual tribute of wood and alcohol, the elves brought along a few special treats this year- a couple of Giant Dingoes, a Giant Python, and a Giant Mosquito.  Sadly, no breeding pairs, but nevertheless, for their troubles, the Elves are being allowed to leave with a few trinkets made from the beasts slain by our valiant (if somewhat worrying) hunters.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31763 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »

That is quite the tale, ImagoDeo.  Legends mode has some amazing stuff!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31764 on: December 06, 2013, 05:58:29 pm »

Welcome to Brighttower.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31765 on: December 06, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »

Kudkadol was supposed to be a sort of dwarven Venice.  The dwarves would dig down several z-levels, exhuming everything except the river passing through the area, until they had removed all of the soil and carved up most of the first stone layer.  Then, after setting up a mason's shop to make blocks, they would build great towers back up to the surface layer, at which point all entrances at the lower layers would be closed and the sides of the river would be broken open, flooding the pit and leaving the tops of the buildings dotting the site like islands.

Halfway through excavating the third z-level, game goes crashy-crashy.  :'(

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31766 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:30 pm »

Fortressbowel, Year 37

In our greed for adamantine, Hell has been breached and the demon hordes are numerous beyond hope(around 103 demons) but we shall face the storm and prove victorious!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31767 on: December 06, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »

Bludulukus, use lots of marksdorfs with silver bolts. I recently had fun with webbing and flame breathing clowns. Lost 50 men in battle.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31768 on: December 06, 2013, 09:21:53 pm »

Second main fort is nearly at my population cap, and things are finally moving. This game is... hectic. Brew drinks, forge weapons and armor, make charcoal, stop bitching about not having containers, I'm making pots as fast as I can, why has nobody built this lever...

Everything's in the news today

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31769 on: December 06, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 170, Early Spring of 336 (Year 85)

The legendary dragon trainer Meng Roughwhips has worked alone for over a decade.  His first apprentice was his daughter Nish Anguishedpages-Roughwhips, but she died during the Tantrum Spiral of 323.  At 114 years of age, Meng knew it was time to find a new apprentice to pass on his skills.  Many dwarves clamored for the position and the chance to work with the fortress's dragons, but only one was chosen.  Meng found the perfect candidate in Meng II Channeltree-Lanterngaze, an unrelated 33-year-old dwarf with no prior experience, but high potential.  As prep work for working with the dragons, Meng II was tasked with training a new generation of war grizzlies.  With the plague of stunted growth a thing of the past, war grizzlies have returned to service as trade network guards.
Pages: 1 ... 2116 2117 [2118] 2119 2120 ... 3842