Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099419 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31740 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:05 am »

I am really proud of my dorfs (though my game crashed before I could save :/ so I have to reconstruct this... such is life) I have finally returned the demon general from whence he came, though blood sweat and toil. Through strength of arms, my dorfs have conquered the depths and built dark tomb.

Warning HFS spoilers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31741 on: December 05, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »

Lielac, that's the second dwarf description you have posted where they are missing their upper body... how do you manage to have so many stumps running loose in your fort?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31742 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »

Lielac, that's the second dwarf description you have posted where they are missing their upper body... how do you manage to have so many stumps running loose in your fort?

Upper body being gone denotes that the subject is deceased right now when viewing the profile of a dead dwarf.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31743 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:47 pm »

Built a nice little enclosure between two tombs (DFHack aided), so that when the inevitable zombie siege hit the only thing to do would be to pull down the inner ramps. Not much of a security feature, I know, especially when the staircase to the caverns is outside the walls for some inexplicable reason. It's not like I forgot about it either, because there was a wooden hatch over it for security

Anyway, inevitable zombie siege occurs as the first human caravan is trading. Sealing the fortress off and trying to rescue the five dwarves in the caverns actually goes pretty well, with only three fatalities. Could have been zero, but a lone goblin ambusher was already on the map and had sneaked through the hatch, rendering it unlockable. So, I quit and decided to see if I could save everybody. Several times. Nope!

Dwarves are extremely persistent about going places. One dwarf was in the middle of returning a gathered web when the siege hit, and to get him to drop the damned web and go get stationed without trying to return it to the loom I had to do the following:

:cancel the job via the jobs screen.
:forbid the web/thread.
:wait for the dwarf to drop the thread.
:once the dwarf is not holding the thread and has no job, then they can be stationed.

Also, it seems that disabling supplies after you put a dwarf in a squad will trigger a Pickup Equipment job for a waterskin even if you don't leave the military screen, and a dwarf cannot be deterred from heading to their original job target.

In the end, the would-be weaver died because something else drew him up the stairs. I believe he may have been following the civilian alert I briefly put in place to make sure everybody was the right side of the walls when the ramps were finally removed, since dwarves can't be dissuaded from doing that after they've started. In doing so, he reclaimed the hatch and saved the lives of the other four dwarves down there. They are locked in with a lone bulgy-eyed macegoblin who'd rather not be there and have no picks, no axes, no wood, and five units of alcohol between them, but at least they're alive.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31744 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »

Violence comes to my newest fort, in the form of dark stranglers, the leader of the band astride a camel, which he promptly booked it on after half of his 23 strangler force was messily slaughtered by a trio of swordsdwarves who seemed to be magic, with two extra blades each that seemed to move and fight at their dwarven masters' whim. Really these were simple animated blades, assigned as protectors for the soldiers in a pinch.

The nomination for hero of the battle goes to Corporal Cuggan Cheerfulstring, The Ancient Ship. Despite having an issue with high blood pressure, she shot ahead of the swords and her fellow Cazadores (I felt like giving the squad a fittingly vicious thing for a name, and cazadores scare the shit out of me,) going into a trance and massacring enough of the stranglers to earn the above title before back-up arrived.  I must say it's actually kind of a misleading name; She's 39.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31745 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »

Oh look, an Artifact Blowgun.  Lovely.

And it's got a picture of a one humped camel bone bolt rendered in Reindeer bone.  What fine aesthetic senses dwarves must have to pick that out.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31746 on: December 06, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

20+ FB's/Titans invading FurnaceClans, and the one on the surface is going to TOWN on the surface.  During a shutdown for maintenance undead volume grew to over 150 again, but we've been churning them out slowly... but two migrant waves and 12 (12!) ambushes in a single year keep refilling their ranks.

How the hell do the gobbies even HAVE an army left, anyway?

Anyway, said Titan comes down into the OMG, and gets WHOMPED on by the minecart.  Massive damage.  So, he turns around to go upstairs... and fight some more!

Dude, that's a badass Titan.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31747 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:59 am »

Razoract
12th Felsite, 220

The overseer left the fortress running while she went to a doctor's appointment, and returned to find three out of four Happy Fun Spike Pit bridges destroyed and about a dozen and a half messages that Sloth Bear Men had guzzled alcohol left outside from where various caravans had died. The date is due to the game pausing when the elven caravan arrived. Unfortunately for them I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about them if I tried and anyway the depot is thoroughly inaccessible due to whatever destroyed the bridges, so they can fuck right back off.

Now I need to reconstruct everything... uuuuugh. On the other hand, I can refine the design some more to prevent unwanted escapes! :D

Edit, 16th Timber:

FUCKING. FINALLY.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:54:51 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31748 on: December 06, 2013, 09:04:40 am »

First artifact of the new fort is a granite coffin. Might be a sign...

First year was easy, a few kobolds handled by the crossbow-armed civilians; a militia formed from the first few migrant waves is awaiting armor, no natural coal on site, and the best material we have so far is copper, but that should suffice until we get a few goblin Christmas presents. Miners are working on a tree farm, a magma dump chute has been dug (in case necromancers make it inside and start some Fun) and debate goes on whether to bring magma up, or go down to it.

EDIT: A camel herd was chased into the fort by a migrant wave, one camel was quickly dispatched by the melee squads. While on its way to the butcher, the camel corpse shuddered and began attacking. Since half the fort is armed, it didn't last long, but kept coming back again and again, while the unarmed civilians scrambled to get out of the way and the civilian defense force ran around, searching for the necromancer. Finally got the damn thing butchered, didn't cause any wounds thankfully (and surprisingly, we all know how dangerous they can be) and especially since the first wave of armor hasn't even been finished yet.

The corpse has since been dismembered into various bits and pieces, and each is being butchered by a brave soul who doesn't seem bothered by the undead bits.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:34:04 am by Lich180 »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31749 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:18 am »

Razoract
10th Malachite, 221

Razoract celebrated its 20th anniversary several months ago. The siege broke a while back, but there are still four trolls in the Happy Fun Spike Pit so I can't go in and refine it. Oh, and I dropped the elven merchants in to play with the trolls. Unfortunately, elves suck at getting rid of trolls. Hmpf. They've gone and snapped on me, too. No berserkers, unfortunately...

Edit, 17th Malachite:

"The fortress attracted no migrants this season." o.o I haven't got migrants in a decade or more! Well, not counting the king and his entourage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:18:02 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #31750 on: December 06, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

My current fort's a community game, and the thread has demanded I make a giant adamantine dong.
I am complying. The king shall live there!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31751 on: December 06, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »

Razoract
14th Galena, 222

-eyetwitch-

I found the third cavern. Well, second, technically, seeing as it's between the first two I found.

Wanna know where I found it?

RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY GODDAMN PUMP STACK. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31752 on: December 06, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »

^ Damn that's a lot of webs. Got a silk industry? :3

Also:

'Lovedsabres' is a competent swordsdwarf. ...cool.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31753 on: December 06, 2013, 01:32:48 pm »

^ Damn that's a lot of webs.

Yeah, no kidding!

Also:

'Lovedsabres' is a competent swordsdwarf. ...cool.

I love when names match skills like that!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31754 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »

^ Damn that's a lot of webs.

Yeah, no kidding!

That's what more than two decades' worth of undisturbed silkspinning looks like. Unfortunately, I have an infestation of uninvited guests in the other two caverns (a dozen currently visible, some of them fliers, and almost definitely some in the undiscovered portions of the map) and I am not risking a single one of my 266 dwarves to the depths. Not yet, anyway. (I'll rethink it once I have some decent spears.)

Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 3842