Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2114 2115 [2116] 2117 2118 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099622 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31725 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:52 am »

Okay, dwarfs are even stupider than I realized. And I realize that's not a word. I just had a dwarf decide to take a nap on top of a stone all trap. That he had just loaded.
On an ENTIRELY UNRELATED note, there is now a dormitory.

Urist Mcdumbass cancels sleep: interrupted by death.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31726 on: December 04, 2013, 10:45:34 am »

Razoract
1st Granite, 217

Spoiler: Large image! (click to show/hide)

Time has taken its second dwarven casualty. The overseer is tired, and will go to bed after leaving you with Razoract's 16 years of accumulated wealth:

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31727 on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:08 am »

My fort seems to be having issues with FPS already, which is odd seeing as how I'm not out of my first year yet, have maybe 20 dwarves, and no water or magma moving around... Usually I run at 150 fps until I've opened all the caverns, pierced the magma sea, etc...

I'm thinking its caused by stealthed units nearby pathing around, since I'm at war with goblins and have a necro tower near.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31728 on: December 04, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

Could also be because of a mass of undead in the cavern below....

Just saying it happens.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #31729 on: December 04, 2013, 05:47:43 pm »

The fourth year of Wireshoots is almost over with, making it among my longest lasting forts ever. Which is saying something truly sad.

To mark the occasion, 9 dwarves were killed in a skirmish with a goblin ambush party or two, who showed up right as my wood cutters and haulers were in the nearby woods doing their jobs, and a caravan was slowly making it's way into the fort's main gate. D squad took heavy casualties, as it was on guard duty near the woods when they appeared. But the goblins all ended up lying dead upon the slopes for their troubles. In addition, a baby snatcher made off with another one, bringing the total of kidnappings to around a dozen. I'm not certain how, or if, he entered the gate; the only other entrance (to the old quarry) stays closed now. And the main gate is layered in cage traps, making an incursion there unlikely, if the charging army of Wireshoots wasn't enough to dissuade any interlopers.

In other, more depressing news, we have a hospital! The medical staff can't seem to understand that the massive amounts of cloth in the hospital's stock pile are for hospital use, as are the thread, crutches, and splints. But we have a hospital! With a well!

Population is currently 120, with 40 some-odd children. We obviously need more goblin snatchers.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31730 on: December 04, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

Another Elven caravan arrives, ready to trade wood for the grisly products of my Fortress's hunting industry (which is, as far as anyone outside the Fortress is concerned, pretty much the only things Dwarves do in the Desert Fortress of Ceilingscorch.  Kill animals and make crafts out of their remains).

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #31731 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:30 pm »

I'm trying to build an impulse elevator to connect my satellite fort + adamantine vein to my main fort to cut down travel time.
Also, trying build a minecart cannon to fling livestock into demons for the inevitable breach and violent death of my less-than-competent military.

Fun fact: I have no idea how minecarts work, and no wiki will ever manage to teach me!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31732 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »

Razoract
22nd Granite, 217

SWEET

I have an artifact bed so I'm not even going to bother undesignating the dormitory that's overlapping the king's bedchambers. DEAL WITH IT, SUCKERRRRRRR

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31733 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:27 am »

I had a little dumping mishap, so a few haulers got injured by falling clothes. My duchess, who is incredibly tough and very strong picked up three dwarfs at once and put them all in the same bed. She's the best.

I didn't even know that was possible!  Awesome!  What is this mighty dwarf's name?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31734 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:21 am »

Razoract
9th Opal, 217

I am so boooooooooooooooooooooooored... SIEGE ME ALREADY YOU GODDAMN PATHETIC GOBLINS

SIEGE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #31735 on: December 05, 2013, 02:08:57 am »

I had a little dumping mishap, so a few haulers got injured by falling clothes. My duchess, who is incredibly tough and very strong picked up three dwarfs at once and put them all in the same bed. She's the best.

I didn't even know that was possible!  Awesome!  What is this mighty dwarf's name?
Nil Astodedėm, or Nil Gulfkeys. She's my legendary bone carver and chief medical dwarf.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31736 on: December 05, 2013, 02:17:04 am »

Razoract
23rd Slate, 218

Still no sieges, but there are goblins running the Happy Fun Spike Pit that have been there since Obsidian from an ambush. There's at least one cloaked unit in there; probably a snatcher. Oh, and my king's making mandates. PISS OFF, LADDIE!

I'm going to stick a gosling or three in some pillboxes next to the Happy Fun Spike Pit once this batch of goblins is dead, get some more permanent sneak-detection in. Dead pigs is a waste of good meat.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:19:03 am by Lielac »

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31737 on: December 05, 2013, 02:48:59 am »

Fortressbowel, Year 35
A dragon walked into a cage trap. Its training is still too rudimentary to be safe so we keep it contained in an artifact adamantine cage in the bowels of the fort. Perhaps we can one day get a mate for it.

A vile force of darkness has arrived! 3 squads disintegrate into chaos before even making it to the entrance, the goblins impaled by bone bolts raining from the towers and the rest hacked to bloody pieces by the melee squads.

3 blind cave ogres are captured and used as target practice

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31738 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:54 am »

Razoract
2nd Malachite, 218

Spoiler: Large image! (click to show/hide)

She. Was. A legendary. COOK. ONE of my TWO.

Come here, king sire, I have a special military assignment for you... Just go stand on the bridges over there, OK?

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31739 on: December 05, 2013, 05:20:47 am »

Struck the caverns and gold within them. My peasants got attacked by troglodytes and my legendary miner cut one hand of of each of them whilst defending his friends. His nickname is now "dehander" and I made him his own fully furnished suite.
Pages: 1 ... 2114 2115 [2116] 2117 2118 ... 3842