Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2107 2108 [2109] 2110 2111 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093785 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31620 on: November 23, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »

Yeah they'll turn back to their normal form at random (seems like at random), sometimes they transform almost as soon as they enter the map, sometimes they don't for a while.

It's not random; the transformation is based on the cycle of the moon.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Werebeast
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31621 on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »

Yeah they'll turn back to their normal form at random (seems like at random), sometimes they transform almost as soon as they enter the map, sometimes they don't for a while.

It's not random; the transformation is based on the cycle of the moon.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Werebeast

It just seems random when you're not paying attention to the date.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #31622 on: November 23, 2013, 09:54:03 pm »

The undead attacked my fort.

I put the drawbridge lever on pull and repeat.

The necromancer fled.

See you next time mr necro.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31623 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:14 pm »

Had a bunch of engravings made, one of them was the expedition leader embracing a pond grabber.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31624 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

-Missive to the Sacks of Muscle on the War of Salts

The Turquoise Shield shall never yield, THE SALT MUST FLOW FROM THESE WASTES TO THE WORLD OVER.

The demon general Arstruk has come leading the third siege this year. Stilled Hames is still reeling corpses of the last attacks. Workers are struggling with the mass of refuse, terrified of the next necromancer attack. Suddenly, War Cave Dragons approach and corner the few brave men stationed outside to guard the clean up. Surprised and outnumbered, the men of The Organized Ropes hammer the beasts. The demon, ordering his army with hast, charges forth, spewing noxious fumes.

This deadly dust, which blinded and put foes to sleep, was our salvation. With luck, the enemy army was asleep, drugged and helpless. Not knowing how much time we had left, Countess Aban mandated the conscription every able bodied individual, armed them with whatever I had lying around, and sallied forth. Hammers and spears, crushed and skewered the skulls of the dazed enemies. Giant beasts reared up and gored the unlucky. A wall of dwarven flesh descend upon the goblins. The Demon Lord dismounted his cave crawler and proceeded to strike down valiant mortals. Volleys of bolts and arrows exchanged sides. Bronze met iron, steel met copper, and flesh met flesh. But through sheer fortune, a lone speardorf was seized by the General. This was no conscript, no slag, BUT LIKOT "THE WAR OF GROUNDING" the demon lord had chose the wrong victim. Likot thrust his shaft into the throat of the Demon, black blood came gushing forth. Wails were heard throughout these wastes and the few surviving goblins fled in terror to let the world know THESE SALTS ARE DWARVEN!

Year 311
-Bomrek Alathmelbil
Chief Smith and commander of the Rearguard
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31625 on: November 24, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »

Just constructed my first pump stack: a 42-z-level magma stack drawing off of a magma pool that rises to the first cavern layer. It works perfectly and took no time to move magma up to my main fortress level for a new smelting/smithing zone. Moving my entire metal stockpile is taking quite some time, though.

In other news, my legendary hammerdwarf and his subordinates, two legendary lashers (all legendary in weapon, armor user, dodger, fighter, and shield user) died in seconds to a web-spitting stegosaurid down on the third cavern layer. I managed to floor over the staircase in time, so I only lost those three dwarves. Slabbed them. They all had titles and everything... ah well, such is fun. The stegosaurid seems content to wander my adamantine mines. One of these days I'll carve open some fortifications and fill him full of bolts, but for now I can't really spare anyone to train a marksdwarf squad.

Despite my fortress population dipping suddenly to 78, a goblin siege showed up and subsequently died to the nerve gas that wafts over my topside area every so often. One of these days I should try to salvage all the goblinite. There are at least three hundred and fifty corpses sitting up there...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31626 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:22 pm »

The humans arrive to trade. I send some things off to the depot, including the goblin cages I'd like to clear out. Much interruption spam ensues, and my dwarves get some target practice while the human guards finish off the punctured goblins. The partially-drained cavern is stained with ribbons of blood, and scattered with body parts that are still too submerged to pick up. Somewhere in all of this I miss the caravan's departure (ehh, I'm good, I only really wanted to stockpile stuff in the depot anyway), and a dwarf goes into a mood and claims a magma forge for a weapon. After a couple of savescums, she finally makes the weapon I modded in and haven't really gotten around to testing. The last time I tried doing that, I didn't get the weapon after about a dozen tries and wondered if perhaps I'd cut the size restriction unecessarily fine. Clearly, Armok was pleased by my goblin execution strategy. After checking out the weapon's decorations, I save the game.

A couple of days later, I get the message: "Astesh Baletur, Miner, has been missing for a week." Okay, maybe it wasn't the goblin execution that pleased Armok. Damn, one of my founders too. I hadn't been digging above the magma sea and couldn't find a corpse in the stocks screen, so I saved again and then used DFHack to resurrect him so I could find out what happened. Turned out I'd forgotten to leave an escape route behind a pump I'd built, and since it was right at the edge of the safe zone formed by the action of some other pumps a tiny bit of magma had sloshed over the pump and incinerated poor Astesh before I had a chance to return to the work area for the next lot of building work or catch a 'Hunt Small Creature' job on the Units list. One force-quit later, and I moved on.

The next season rolled around, with the dwarven caravan absent due to crash issues. However, the goblins were on their usual schedule, and because I'd forgotten to close the front door (and also forgotten that I didn't need to open it to let the humans out, because I'd built an exit-only route) they caught a weaponsmith outside. With no-one else around, the weaponsmith was quickly killed, so I ordered the whole fortress except the miners and woodcutters out to avenge the fallen dwarf. Luckily, the proper military had a couple of members nearby, and the goblin squad was charged before the civilian mob could wade in with their bone crossbows. Despite several more ambush squads turning up and adding more targets, the goblin who'd bashed Sigun's head in was chopped up a piece at a time.

Amxu Amxustot's silver warhammer remains outside, next to his still-forbidden body and limbs. I may give it to Sigun's wife, and enroll her as a hammerdwarf. Amxu's bones will be turned into trophies, and his hands and head and mutilated corpse presented to the captive necromancer and be used for target practice for all eternity.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31627 on: November 25, 2013, 11:01:24 am »

Fort turned 14 this year. Still not succumbing to FPS death. I attribute this to two things:

1) My pop cap is set to 60. Child cap is 25/10%. Fewer dwarves means less dorf pathing.
2) I regularly atom smash junk that I don't need.

Despite the above two, my fortress currently has over 16,000 prepared meals, somewhere over 4,400 drinks, total wealth of 6,000,000, and a population of exactly 80: 56 working dwarves and 24 children. 400 iron bars, 120 steel bars, 750 gold bars, 100 silver bars, lots of miscellaneous bars adding up to a total of 2,389. 700 eggs and 500 meat on hand (will be cooked into meals sooner or later). Almost 500 bins of various kinds, mostly in the metal stockpiles. 188 mechanisms, 116 of which are in use. 55 built pumps, 42 of which are in a 42-z magma pump stack to feed my fortress-level magma works. Around 500 pots of various kinds to contain all that food. Fifty or so cats, mostly male (I butcher 99% of the female kittens immediately). Around a dozen giant parakeets, six or seven giant kiwis, large populations of hens, peahens, and turkey hens. (And cocks of each kind to perpetuate the species.)

Outside my fortress walls lie 400 corpses of kobolds, goblins, and ogres. The gas gets them all sooner or later, and I just forbid and hide the goblinite. Nearly 3000 units of ammo lie out there, along with 400+ weapons and Armok knows how much armor.

And still I get FPS over 60 most of the time. It dips to 40 occasionally for no known reason, but it's frequently over 80.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31628 on: November 25, 2013, 12:35:18 pm »

160 Dorfs now populate the Stilled Hames. Zombie siege was dealt with by suicide charging the necromancers. So many corpses, soooooo many.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31629 on: November 25, 2013, 12:45:26 pm »

Stopping, draining, and paving a water wheel reactor battery is harder than it sounds...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31630 on: November 25, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »

Stopping, draining, and paving a water wheel reactor battery is harder than it sounds...

Stopping: Disassemble the unit, starting at the water wheels.
Draining: Turn it into a water source and bucket brigade a river/local drain.
Paving: Paving?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31631 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:41 pm »

So i'm trying to do a seperate class fortress, in which the starting seven, the legendary craftsmen, the nobles, the outside workers and the soldiers live in the top levels, with legendary food, bedrooms, engravings, tombs, booze etc. and the other dwarfs live in the dark levels, never seeing sunlight, beds everywhere, clay walls, cats everywhere etc., just horrible conditions. I've made a 3x3 hole in the ground, with lever linked hatch covers on the sides, and nothing in the middle. When I tried to assign the first two dwarfs to the burrow above the hatch covers, two other dwarfs (my expedition leader, and my mechanic/mason) accidently also step on the hatch covers, while another stupid dwarf pulls the lever. So now 2 of my starting seven are down there.

EDIT: My expedition leader must be stupid...(Just like all other dwarfs) The hole in the middle of the hatch covers (in which a seed barrel was dropped) is right above a 33z staircase. When a seed barrel got dropped, it landed on the head of my expedtion leader, which was down there. This is the combat log describing him being hit (multiple times?) while falling down the staircase. He didn't survive, that's for sure.
Spoiler: Fuck u Urist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:11:59 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31632 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

Stopping: Disassemble the unit, starting at the water wheels.
Draining: Turn it into a water source and bucket brigade a river/local drain.
Paving: Paving?

Draining: or just deconstruct one of the walls. Also does the stopping trick too. Of course though, if you dug directly into the rock, that's not an option.

Paving: Flooring the bottom of the channels to keep trees from growing there. I've had to do that before. Usually helps if you do it BEFORE you start filling it with water. I suspect that ImagoDeo had to floor/pave it when he realized that there were trees growing, or a tree did grow and messed it up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:48:11 pm by smjjames »

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #31633 on: November 25, 2013, 07:08:26 pm »

Put A stock pile over areas where you dont want trees, and make srue that you dont want the dorfs put anything in the stock pile, tree problem solved.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #31634 on: November 25, 2013, 11:13:24 pm »

An artifact just got finished, it's an opossum leather buckler with the best name ever:
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 2107 2108 [2109] 2110 2111 ... 3842