Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 [2100] 2101 2102 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093653 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31485 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:28 am »

Working towards a new version of Training Room. I have three Necromancers who are to be used to raise corpses in order to train swordwarves.
Problem is, I have no idea how to move corpses in front of the Necro. I tried with Corpses stockpiles but it's not working.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31486 on: November 11, 2013, 08:24:40 am »

Working towards a new version of Training Room. I have three Necromancers who are to be used to raise corpses in order to train swordwarves.
Problem is, I have no idea how to move corpses in front of the Necro. I tried with Corpses stockpiles but it's not working.

Check to make sure dwarves are allowed to collect refuse from outside (if that's where the corpses are). Also make sure the necromancer can see the corpses (A window lets him see them, but a glass wall is not see-through!

Lastly, check to make sure you have a way to stop the necro from raising every corpse he can see. Or don't, whichever takes your fancy.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31487 on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:41 am »

Check to make sure dwarves are allowed to collect refuse from outside (if that's where the corpses are). Also make sure the necromancer can see the corpses (A window lets him see them, but a glass wall is not see-through!

Lastly, check to make sure you have a way to stop the necro from raising every corpse he can see. Or don't, whichever takes your fancy.

That's it, I didn't allow outside refuse collection.
Yes, of course, Necro are in three 3x3 cells locked with fortification in the LoS to the corpses. Corpses are after a bridge that can be raised.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Troll_Kaiser177

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31488 on: November 11, 2013, 11:13:53 am »

Still trying to figure out how to make a well/cistern. I just keep flooding my fort :p anyway back to the drawing board!!!!!!
S̸͔̃ ̵̻̔L̸̦̅ ̵̨̊Д̵̮̽ ̵͘ͅV̶̬͛ ̵͕͠Ӟ̸̣́ ̶͚̕ ̴͉͝ T ̴͕̋Ӧ̵̻́ ̵̨̋ ̶̭̂ ̷̧͌Д̵̓ͅ ̶̦̒Я̶̝̾ ̵̄͜М̷̜̉ ̴̮̋О̶͓̒ ̶̝͗К̶̼͐

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31489 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:19 am »

Still trying to figure out how to make a well/cistern. I just keep flooding my fort :p anyway back to the drawing board!!!!!!

Ah yes, welcome to Physics 101: Water Pressure. Diagonally-placed spaces (ie; a checker pattern) nullify water pressure and stop water from pushing up through a well.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31490 on: November 11, 2013, 11:34:12 am »

Another option is to dig out a shaft (3x3 works) and then manually fill it via pit/pond designation. A deep 3x3 shaft will take a while to fill, but it will last your fort for many years before it needs to be refilled.

Anyhow, last night when I had my two squads engage a webspitting theropod FB, the thing punched in a few skulls and at one point grabbed one of the hammerdwarves weapon and began braining some dwarves with it. It finally fell to a hail of bolts and surviving hammerdwarves, but not before killing 6 out of a 10 dwarf squad. Caused one dwarf to go into a tantrum and murder (via skullpunch, can't wait for the non-lethal combat and non-paperthin skulls in the next version) another dwarf.

The theropod FB apparently knew how to wrestle because it did joint locks. When a FB is in a theropod form, I usually imagine it being like a Tyrannosaur or an Allosaur, but I think this one was more like a giant Raptor maybe.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31491 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:14 am »

Use a freaking screwpump, trust me. Passive filling = fun unless you built lots of redundant floodgates.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31492 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:36 pm »

Yes, of course, Necro are in three 3x3 cells locked with fortification in the LoS to the corpses. Corpses are after a bridge that can be raised.
A few tips; make the default be that Necros cannot resurrect corpses. Say for example, a bend that resurrected corpses must cross before being engaged by soldier Dorfs. And don't use soldiers who aren't jaded, being attacked by the undead can really upset a Dorf.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31493 on: November 11, 2013, 05:40:47 pm »

A few tips; make the default be that Necros cannot resurrect corpses. Say for example, a bend that resurrected corpses must cross before being engaged by soldier Dorfs. And don't use soldiers who aren't jaded, being attacked by the undead can really upset a Dorf.

But then how will you make jaded dorfs? Hell, you should be impaling their pets and resurrecting them, then forcing them into combat. Over and over and over.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basin is BACK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31494 on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »

Last winter the brook froze and the booze ran out. This spring the two remaining adult dwarves (and one baby) are helping the new migrants make coffins.

Mrpoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31495 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:11 pm »

A forgotten beast fought its way past my soldiers and wandered into the Noble quarter, bless you blue haired dingo, bless you The horror!
Bad Dwarf, Bad Dwarf, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when the carp come for you?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31496 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:56 pm »

Brook + channel + screw pump + surface magma pipe.  Soooo much obsidian - it was well worth losing a couple miners to 'accidental' magma baths!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31497 on: November 12, 2013, 03:49:47 am »

Of course, the layout is this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg4749437#msg4749437
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31498 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:08 am »

I'm forcing 180 dwarves to live like elves : no hunting, no fishing, no digging, living outside in built fortress out of wood and clay, farming for food and this is the most successful fort I ever had ><

I'm currently waiting for my waterfall to 'load' : taking water from 7 z-level below, to make a 5 z-levels down waterfall after chaneling the water between clay-loam walls. Once all the system will be fully load (water at 7/7 in the whole tube), I'm going to open the floodagate and surely watch the whole crushing the population, or drowning everything as I usually suck at using water ... Or my fps will just go negative, I'm not sure.

Anyway, this will be the final point of Tenshedkadol Fotthor ("the forest").
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31499 on: November 12, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »

For the time being, i'm giving up on division. I couldn't hatch a good idea for implementation by myself and research has produced some interesting titbits (like the intersecting chords theorem as an implementation of multiplication/division, if you could find a way to actually construct the encompassing circle without performing a much more complicated multiplication/division than the one you're trying to solve) but no inspiration for a division algorithm other than the plain old sequential-subtraction one. Anything based on liquids or mechanical loads doesn't promise to handle dividends larger than ~ 20 and divisors larger than 5 or so, which is completely pointless. And they'd still be absurdly complicated.

So i guess the division engine of The Great Dwarven Calculator stands uncontested as the best (and perhaps only really built) divider. Not that that's a bad thing, that Calculator is an awesome work. The only divider i've managed to build so far is the one the majority of DF players have built dozens of times.
Spoiler: corny pun (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 [2100] 2101 2102 ... 3842