Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094879 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31365 on: October 29, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »

Apparently my engraver isn't a dwarf. If he were a dwarf, he'd never criticize the monumental stupidity of a bone shield.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31366 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »

After that chaotic summer of sieges two years ago, when we lost thirty of our fortress's adult dwarves, the ratio of parents to children has shrunk even further. At the moment, Glazedclinches resembles a daycare more than anything else: thirty-eight adult dwarves working their asses off trying to provide for ninety-two children.

I think I should make this a dwarven daycare, but that kind of project is pretty complicated. *sigh*

They'll all start maturing in about seven or eight years. Barring any kind of fun
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
my fortress will suddenly have lots and lots of free labor.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31367 on: October 29, 2013, 02:30:21 pm »

Can a war-animal breed with a non-war-animal or did I just screw up my dragon breeding program? (already modded to breed before you say)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31368 on: October 29, 2013, 02:56:27 pm »

Can a war-animal breed with a non-war-animal or did I just screw up my dragon breeding program? (already modded to breed before you say)

I have no idea, but it shouldn't matter; if nothing happens after a year or two, train the other one for war as well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31369 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:53 pm »

They're still the same creature so yes, they can. Just don't train the momma while she's on the nest box.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31370 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:03 pm »

So if it doesn't work after a couple more tries, try making the other partner a war animal too?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31371 on: October 29, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »

You could, but hatch time is dependent on the animal. May take dragons of either sort a comparatively long time to pop out any hatchlings.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31372 on: October 29, 2013, 04:47:27 pm »

You could, but hatch time is dependent on the animal. May take dragons of either sort a comparatively long time to pop out any hatchlings.

According to the wiki, "All fertilized eggs left undisturbed in a nest box hatch after exactly 3 months, unlike in real life."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31373 on: October 29, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »

I've had some hatch in two and others took the better part of a year, so...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31374 on: October 29, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »

I've had some hatch in two and others took the better part of a year, so...

I've had some hatch over ten years later when I visited the fortress as an adventurer.
(not dragons, but regular chickens)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31375 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:02 pm »

Maybe you all do it by directly watching the calender, but in my case, the perception of time is screwed up as the FPS decreases from new discoveries, births, migrations, etc. Is it possible that's the case for you as well?

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31376 on: October 29, 2013, 06:59:33 pm »

Is there any way to undo whatever damage prevents migrants?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31377 on: October 29, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »

Is there any way to undo whatever damage prevents migrants?

Using the fix/dead-units command in DFHack should remove all non-fort units from your dead unit list. I have heard that large amounts of units on that list can prevent migrants.

Though as mentioned, the only units that will be left on that list will be your fort members (dwarves and pets), and I believe merchants. So if you wanted any slabs to commemorate dead mega-beasts or other possibly important characters, do it before using the command. Units cleared from the list will not show up in the list of slab-able creatures in the craftsdwarf workshop, in my experience.

poisoned_salami

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling RAWsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31378 on: October 29, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »

My broker just got a strange mood (withdrew from society) :o
He then proceeded to march straight into his bedroom, and sit there. Doing nothing. It's been MONTHS, and he still hasn't even claimed a workshop.  ::)
I'm considering walling him in, and telling some other random dwarf to be broker. (I'm fairly certain the guy was just a random cheese-maker before he became broker, so he wasn't important anyway.)
I would sic the army on him, had I not heard about the pain FUN of loyalty spirals...
Current Fortress: Renownspear

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31379 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »

My broker just got a strange mood (withdrew from society) :o
He then proceeded to march straight into his bedroom, and sit there. Doing nothing. It's been MONTHS, and he still hasn't even claimed a workshop.  ::)
I'm considering walling him in, and telling some other random dwarf to be broker. (I'm fairly certain the guy was just a random cheese-maker before he became broker, so he wasn't important anyway.)
I would sic the army on him, had I not heard about the pain FUN of loyalty spirals...
No wonder. You probably don't have the workshop he needs - either one related to his best skill or craftsdwarf's workshop.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)
Pages: 1 ... 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 ... 3842