Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095460 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31335 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:58 am »

9 Cave Dragons, 37 mounted Goblins, 10 Cave Crocodiles, 7 Giant Toads, a couple Cave Crawlers and Elk Birds show up at my front gates.  All of a sudden one of the Goblin Elite Crossbowmen doesn't like the way a certain Dragon was looking at him.  So he lets loose an iron bolt in to his gut and his spine.  The Dragon took offense after the first bolt and belched fire in about a 20 tile diameter circle around the goblin.  The goblin and the Elk Bird are now on fire.  The second bolt's precise placement in the dragon's spine has taken him to his knees.  While the rest of the force was caught in the fireball they don't seem any worse for wear.  This could get interesting.
Ancient Avatar

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31336 on: October 27, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

Always nice when the enemy starts fighting itself.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31337 on: October 27, 2013, 10:31:47 am »

Attempted to reclaim zombie-infested fortress.
That was a failure.
I'd feel kinda bad about modifying embark so that I could take full steel, but it seems kinda necessary.
I don't bite.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31338 on: October 27, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »

By some miracle a few feral cave crabs didn't kill anyone, nor did the giant rat roaming around the settlement. My Militia Commander had the first mood, and is now a legendary mason. A caravan and migrants came, and provided much relief in the form of sweet delicious alcohol, including the most coveted of underground brews, moonglow.

I consider the mood's product an ill omen however. It was a coffin.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31339 on: October 27, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »

What's the best use for a trained dragon? :3
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31340 on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »

Depends. Do you want loot from dead goblins or is puddles of melted kit and ashes fine?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31341 on: October 27, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

What's the best use for a trained dragon? :3

Lunch.

Yes, really. Just butcher the poor thing and call it even. I've tamed a few dragons and then spent the effort to war train 'em and they've universally been more trouble than anything else. Breathing fire when you don't want it. Not breathing fire with you do want it. And so forth and so on. For example:

Dragon vs Forgotten beast... draw. Half the time, the dragon won, other half FB won. Every time, dragon comes out severely injured.
Place dragon behind fortification to encourage breath use and protect against melee... Dragon just sits there looking stupid.
Pasture dragon near "welcome center" in order to at least give kobolds a warm welcome.  Managed to toast one kobold. Goblin siege appears. Dragon charges into welcome center, gets slaughtered by goblin squad.
Pasture dragon on single tile surrounded by a channeled vertical sided moat (so silly thing won't go charging and simply use it's breath weapon). This sorta worked. Yes, the dragon breathed fire quite often when enemies were near. Had to replace a few hatch covers in welcome center, then build "shield wall" to protect newly installed hatch covers from dragon fire.

Save yourself grief and frustration. Dragon burgers is the way to go.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31342 on: October 27, 2013, 10:39:34 pm »

But it seems like such a waste. My egg industry is flourishing - until recently (when I decided to dump a bunch of them to get rid of my FPS death issues), I had over eight thousand four-ingredient prepared egg meals, 75% masterful. I don't need food.

For now, I guess I'll just leave him chained up in that dungeon room. *sigh*
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31343 on: October 27, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »

Make dragon bones out of it... dragonbone totem... leave some dragon bones aside for moody dwarves - dragonbone... anything! Anything made of dragonbone sounds great! And it is dragonfire safe, so if your adventurer wears the dragonbone armour in into dragon lair... well, the armour will survive it for sure! ;D
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #31344 on: October 28, 2013, 03:13:58 am »

Yeah, about that. I've been testing dragon scale armor. Giving a dwarf full suit of dragons scale (even socks... Literally everything that I could fit on him) covering his entire body did little to nothing to help survive breath attacks. Even those of fire imps. You seriously need a shield for that.
However, I got hit by 9001 fire balls and didn't even get slightly scratched/burned...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #31345 on: October 28, 2013, 04:52:09 am »

But it seems like such a waste. My egg industry is flourishing - until recently (when I decided to dump a bunch of them to get rid of my FPS death issues), I had over eight thousand four-ingredient prepared egg meals, 75% masterful. I don't need food.

Make a dungeon for the dragon.  Carve out a small maze below your fort then seal it away.  Pit any disarmed enemies down a shoot to wander the maze and get burned and eaten by the dragon.  Just make sure the dragon can't fly back out again.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #31346 on: October 28, 2013, 05:53:39 am »

Doing other fortress, got vampire some day ago. I named him "Dener Visible" or something. Yes, he was easy to find. Now he is bookkeeper/manager and sealed. Funny guy, likes brass and I have plenty of material for brass statues, brass tables, brass chairs... He is very happy vampire just now...

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31347 on: October 28, 2013, 06:32:33 am »

Yeah, about that. I've been testing dragon scale armor. Giving a dwarf full suit of dragons scale (even socks... Literally everything that I could fit on him) covering his entire body did little to nothing to help survive breath attacks. Even those of fire imps. You seriously need a shield for that.
However, I got hit by 9001 fire balls and didn't even get slightly scratched/burned...
Well? And... ? Did the armour survive?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31348 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:30 am »

Got back to DF after a long hiatus. I set up a fort next to a tower, necromantic incursions were intentionally inevitable. All was going well until the first undead siege. Our wood stockpiles had run out and more and more dwarves got moody and demanded products, which required charcoal, for their artifacts. We hit the first cavern in the hopes of finding an underground forest but all we found was a giant lake and a small labyrinthian patch of dirt mocking us. The plan then changed to digging out a massive underground treefarm to secure a future treesupply and prevent tantrum spirals from marauding, maniacal dwarves.

We also found the cave had occasional cave crocodiles, females included. I wanted to catch one female at least, so I set up a trap and lured the crocodile to it. Unfortunately, my idiot hunters decided to return to work and horribly murder it.

There was also an incident with a vampire. We quickly found out who it was since practically everyone but nobles sleep in dormitories. He's currently serving prison-time and will be shortly drafted in our first ever vampire squad.

But the siege raged on. A minotaur came and disposed a large number of them but it too fell. So we decided enough's enough. Built atom smashers at the entrance and smashed them away since our tiny armed forces weren't large enough nor properly equipped to deal with them. More than a year after the siege started, it was finally over and everyone had the first bit of nauseating sunshine in a long time.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31349 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:59 am »

Make a dungeon for the dragon.  Carve out a small maze below your fort then seal it away.  Pit any disarmed enemies down a shoot to wander the maze and get burned and eaten by the dragon.  Just make sure the dragon can't fly back out again.

Or you could just feed dorfs to it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:19:53 am by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 3842