Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095635 times)

Mrpoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31290 on: October 21, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »

Made a new fortress, and my land is rich in silver and gems. I feel like celebrating but this will probably bite me in the butt later though.
Bad Dwarf, Bad Dwarf, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when the carp come for you?

The_Peanut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Not the Bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31291 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:38 pm »

Got the Queen! i guess that makes this my first successful not completely dreadful fort. Now im going to start renovating the fort. I need to try to get magma forges set up (because im sure that'll be easy ::)) I also need to upgrade the military (all still in iron, i make due with traps and bridge seclusion mostly) and begin pissing off the Elves. I believe the goblins have a Clown for a leader, so i'm hoping he shows up sometime soon, i would love to finally see how deadly they actually are.

Overall, Flagmansions is looking good right about now.

Also, now that my fort is the capital, will i still get migrants, or will i have to make due with babbies? if so it's no big deal, my modded race's kids grow up pretty fast,
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:11:28 pm by The_Peanut »
"Fire is the ultimate antibiotic" ~ Squint

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31292 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:35 am »

After finding out that a cart approaching a ramped pit across a hatch cover can sometimes behave differently from one passing a bridge or open floor (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg4702521#msg4702521), i experimented with this approach some more and fiddled with input speeds, so now i can present a bunch of new designs for the seven major logic gates.

Identity/NOT:

There are ramped pits under the bridge and both hatches. The cart enters from the east.

Not visible tracks are: EW (ramp) under the bridge, NSW (ramp) under the northern hatch, NE (ramp) under the southern ramp, NE under the door. All visible buildings are switchable by input. There are several NOT operation logics possible.

Example operation order for identity/NOT:
always open (no switching during operation): door, bridge and southern hatch
switched by input: northern hatch
input true - output straight west (identity)
input false - output to the east from southern pit (NOT)

AND/NAND gate:

There are pits under the bridge and both hatches... i already said that, right? Yes, it's the exact same architecture as above, the only difference is the switch logic.

always open (no switching): bridge, southern hatch
switched by input: door, northern hatch

in case of AND - output straight west
in case of NAND - output east from the southern hatch/pit

OR/NOR gate:

Yep, the same one again, with different switch logic once more.

Always open (no switching): bridge, northern hatch
switched by input: door, southern hatch.

in case of NOR: output through northern hatch
in case of OR: output either straight west, or east from southern pit, can be collected by a single pressure plate directly northeast of the bridge

XOR/XNOR gate:

This was the one that took the fiddling around. That's why the bridge is required. It also only works with a dwarven push or similarly low speed.

always open (no switching): door, southern hatch
switched by input: bridge, northern hatch

both inputs equal: output straight west
inputs different: output east from southern pit

So this is a single circuit using three ramps and a footprint of 4x5 tiles on the upper level (not counting whatever sends the cart into the circuit) which is configurable into each of the basic logic gates. In three presented cases, the "true" output is the western branch and the equivalent "not" output the south-east one. The outlier here is the OR gate, which generally has two possible "true" outputs.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31293 on: October 22, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »

Would you guys count it as cheating if I used dfhack to convert all of my blunt weapons to platinum and all of my foreign weapons to steal IF I atom smashed, donated, or incinerated an amount of bars accordingly? The platinum blunt weapons seem fair, since realistically, a good metalsmith could make them.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31294 on: October 22, 2013, 03:27:11 pm »

Would you guys count it as cheating if I used dfhack to convert all of my blunt weapons to platinum and all of my foreign weapons to steal IF I atom smashed, donated, or incinerated an amount of bars accordingly? The platinum blunt weapons seem fair, since realistically, a good metalsmith could make them.

Your call. If it doesnt feel like cheating to you, then by all means go ahead.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31295 on: October 22, 2013, 03:36:16 pm »

I would, but it's your game, so play it the way you like. For the record, I do things I consider cheating, now and then.

In terms of realism, platinum weapons are a stupid idea, since a) heavier weapons are not automatically more effective, since they are harder to swing, and b) to get more mass, you could just make a bigger steel weapon.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31296 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »

Like Mythbusters, we aren't talking about realistic use, we are talking about realistic construction, and it could be constructed.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31297 on: October 22, 2013, 03:42:34 pm »

True enough, you could make one if you had enough platinum.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31298 on: October 22, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »

I'm tired of my giant keas going feral after a little while. Do Domesticated animals revert like trained animals do? I have quite a few males and "clutch mothers" that were born here, and a few have even grown to full size. Basically, once all the ones that CAN revert and leave DO leave, will I be left with a bunch of ones that will NOT leave?

It's kind of confusing because of of the ones born here say trained instead of tame, but are still listed as domesticated in the livestock section.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31299 on: October 22, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »

It's a highly moddable single-player game. Which means the differences between "cheating," "modding," and "smart tactics" are entirely up to you. Your game with this "cheat" will probably still be orders of magnitude harder then pretty much any game I play, because I refuse to embark in evil areas, turn off invaders until there's a trap corridor in front of the depot, etc.

I wouldn't do it, because it sounds like an awful lot of effort. My home-made steel weapons tend are actually better then anything the rest of the world supplies, and I've never actually needed a high-damage blunt weapon.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31300 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »

Actually I'm using DFHack. And it is harder because I slaughter every caravan that comes in the hopes of getting more test subjects

Raggsockan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31301 on: October 23, 2013, 04:22:26 am »

I finally got rid of the titan that has been standing on the edge of my map! A hunter got annoyed during hunting so he placed a bolt in its bloby face and it exploded into a gory mess.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31302 on: October 23, 2013, 10:26:30 am »

Preparing for a fort where information is stored by the weight of minecarts (and their ability to activate weight-sensitive pressure plates), my current list of possible weight set-off is:

1-50: all types of wood, adamantine
50-100: blood thorn (x)
100-250: aluminium
250-300: tin, pewter
300-350: iron, nickel, bronze...
350-400: copper
400-450: silver
450-500: lead
500-750: electrum
750-850: gold
850+: platinum

So cart weight (using empty carts only) has ten clearly distinguished values, and one more that's a bit fuzzy. I'm not sure how much can be done with this, but if, say, each cart's presence or not transmitted the "on" or "off" status of a bit within a longer chunk of data, that would allow working with a byte of data and up to four operations with proper use of the "half bit".

(x) the "all types of wood" in the previous bracket is accurate. I.e., a bloodthorn minecart (50kg) activates both a 1-50 _and_ a 50+ plate.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31303 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »

Doop de doo, drowning dwarves with water,

Doop de doo, drowning other dwarves with magma,

Doop de doo, watching survived dwarves scald to death.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31304 on: October 23, 2013, 01:51:28 pm »

My dragon just reverted to a wild state. He's chained up right now, how do I retrain him without getting killed?
Pages: 1 ... 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 ... 3842