Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2083 2084 [2085] 2086 2087 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095983 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31260 on: October 19, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »

I started a desert fortress... my civilization has no iron and I brought no anvil, missed opportunity to buy steel one from the caravan, there are no trees, no shrubs, no aquifer as was promised before embark.

Of the multiple shallow metals two are gold and galena. Haven't seen the deep metal, yet.

There are some good things about this embark, though. First cavern has water and is on level -10. Last one is on -30 and has magma pipe. Nice place for magma forge... I wouldn't change. :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31261 on: October 19, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »

Started a new embark too. Serene Tundra, with an ocean next to it.
So it turns out that the ocean is too warm to freeze, even in the dead of winter, and the tundra is too cold for it's snow cover to ever, ever thaw.
And some of the waves from the ocean pulled some of this snow into the ocean; now the entire ocean is white, except for one corner extremely far from the shore. Creatures in the water have "ice coverings" on their bodies, but the ocean's still making waves.

So I'm imagining this mass of slush, liquidy enough that you sink through, but slush nonetheless. Every wave is a virtual glacier of snow, slamming down on the shore in a blast of ice shards, misty water, and packed snow. It's a pretty epic image.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31262 on: October 19, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »

A Migrant went into a secretive mood, literally tiles away from entering the map. I didn't think that could happen. The Migrant Mason took exactly one rock, so I don't expect a particularly valuable artifact. A Snatcher took a kid, helpfully bringing down Pagelashed's suddenly rising baby population. A Kobold appeared, and was cut down by a new mother, stabbing her twice but unable to slow her attack enough to survive or escape.

The Peach-face Lovebird Men are still attacking the Giant sponge. I can't get the Marksdwarves to shoot them, and since it is occuring over water I'm essentially stuck. I actually feel bad for the Sponge Abomination. It can't win, it can't lose, it can't live, it can't die, it can't kill, it can't be killed, it can only suffer.

We just hit caverns, and and another damn baby was born. What percentage of the population is a maximum for children before I start, intervening (Don't say 0%)?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31263 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »

Granite 1st, 20:

The miners are hard at work digging out stone and the carpenters have assembled a few houses. Things are going well for Bucklace, and I look forward to our first migrant wave. Hopefully, we'll get a few farmers and herbalists to support our farming industry, and maybe a smith too. We've uncovered all the ingredients for shiny, sharp steel, so that's a good thing. All in all, this place is turning out not to be a waste of some of the Royal Treasury's bits.

- Mayor Doof
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:56:47 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31264 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »

We just hit caverns, and and another damn baby was born. What percentage of the population is a maximum for children before I start, intervening (Don't say 0%)?

I'd say if it gets beyond 20%, something must be done.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31265 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:41 am »

Glazedclinches is currently at a population of 68 adult dwarves to 74 or 75 children.

*sigh*

Also, @Larix - It was Minerals: Frequent if I recall correctly. I probably don't. I believe I still get elven caravans; I'll post here again if I do. The horse has given birth again, and its first foal (a female) is also going to start. Horseplosion. FML. I'll have to dam the rivers and flood the zone with magma...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31266 on: October 20, 2013, 01:26:43 am »

Alternatively, dig a stairwell down to a z level or so above the water and give your marksdwarves some target practice. You'll have to station them at the bottom of the stairwell first, then order them to kill the horses once they're in range, because they can't path to them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31267 on: October 20, 2013, 04:28:50 am »

I have realized I seem to have accidentally consigned my miners, several of which I have grown attached to, to an early grave. I decided to use reveal, just to poke around the areas I controlled (that is, NOT the lower sections of the colony dome I had managed to make sort-of safe) And saw many many junk clusters. Junk contains very valuable items, and as such, I think "Ooooh! Free autogun ammo if there's enough trade stuff in that!" and send my miners to dig.

They have all now contracted minor lung rot because of the uniform glitch preventing me from giving them respirators that would keep them safe.

Also a toxin blasting FB showed up, and Deimos promptly sent it back to the warp. Weather or not his respirator will work on that thing's gasses I have no idea. But that damned bayonet is gonna get put in a display box after he names it and he's dead.

The_Peanut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Not the Bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31268 on: October 20, 2013, 05:31:31 am »

Starting out on a new fort, and after digging down a couple layers, hit all 3 separate ores of iron  :o i at least won't want for metal...ever. My modded race also seems to be working just fine. Due to it's iffy ethics i'm thinking it's possible i could be at war with a few civs. So that should be a Fun suprise.

Edit: and 1 layer lower.... Bituminous Coal !  :D now all i need is flux and i'm golden
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:39:45 am by The_Peanut »
"Fire is the ultimate antibiotic" ~ Squint

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31269 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51:22 am »

If by "something" you mean "get more dwarfs married because you don't have nearly enough babies", i concur.

If you have more children than adults, you might want to limit reproduction, e.g. by changing the BABY_CHILD_CAP settings in d_init; the second number is the percentage relative to adult population, and setting that to 100 or 50 prevents further pregnancies once the cap is reached.

I always play without invaders and consequently set children to totally unlimited. At 70+% children (of total population, the CHILD_CAP percentage would be 230), it's quite common to have the entire workforce bound up producing food, drink and clothes and hauling them around, with absolutely nothing left for any meaningful projects or more than a token military force. But things relax when the children grow up and enter the workforce.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31270 on: October 20, 2013, 08:07:58 am »

Alternatively, dig a stairwell down to a z level or so above the water and give your marksdwarves some target practice. You'll have to station them at the bottom of the stairwell first, then order them to kill the horses once they're in range, because they can't path to them.
Will that work?

The foal was born on his map, thus it is one of his fort's animals. I doubt he'll be able to order his military to kill it. And if he manages to do so he could cause a loyalty cascade.

He can probably kill the mare, and eventually the foal should starve to death on it's own because there's no grass in the middle of the river.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31271 on: October 20, 2013, 09:48:15 am »

Will that work?

The foal was born on his map, thus it is one of his fort's animals. I doubt he'll be able to order his military to kill it. And if he manages to do so he could cause a loyalty cascade.

He can probably kill the mare, and eventually the foal should starve to death on it's own because there's no grass in the middle of the river.

No, the horses and foals are all listed as 'Friendly.' I can't control them at all. I'm pretty sure shooting them would work.

The horses ought to have starved to death by now if they needed to graze. It's been a good two or three years.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31272 on: October 20, 2013, 10:47:16 am »

Operation: Child Slaughter Care is going according to plan, although twenty-two unarmed goblins seem to be making short work of all sixty kids. Oddly enough, none of their parents are tantruming yet, even though this has been going on for a few days and we have at least eight fatalities.

I'm holding out that some kid comes out on top with master wrestler and dodger, but if not I'll have to savescum and try again with fewer gobbos.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31273 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

Triple-posting for !!science!!.

Attempt #2. Three thieves vs. sixty children. So far, no one has died, although all the children are slowly dehydrating to death. The goblins are coming out on the worse end of the conflict overall, but I have a feeling they're training their dodging skills faster than my children are training their fighting skills. I'll see how this goes - maybe next time I should try a smaller containment area with fewer individuals involved. I'm thinking one goblin versus two or three children.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31274 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

three kiddies and a goblin in a 2x3 room. Pitch the goblin in from above. See who wins. Have an atom smasher as the goblin's prize for when they win.
Pages: 1 ... 2083 2084 [2085] 2086 2087 ... 3842