Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2078 2079 [2080] 2081 2082 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096455 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31185 on: October 09, 2013, 02:21:17 pm »

Follow up on the web throwing forgotten beast. It's safely stored in it's new home. But while doing so a bronze colossus arrived at the surface whom the goblins gave a warm welcome to. The gobs left, but the colossus stayed although much worse for wear. And since then a cyclops also came to visit, but it looks like the cyclops spent too much time in the rain and is now a "Cyclops devilish gloom zombie" and is "Opposed to life". Currently the cyclops and colossus are engaged in a very long dance with each other and are ignoring my newly dug passage to the surface (said passage leading to my passage to all three caverns, but a nice tunnel full of cage traps. And as an extra bonus, continues on to my obsidian farm just in case they decide to visit the fort proper.....

But I really love the dance the colossus and cyclops are engaged in. Currently up to 20 pages and growing.....

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31186 on: October 09, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »

Are zoos not a thing anymore? I wanted to put one in my legendary dining hall.

Caught a lot of giant sparrows, so with their size, and ok pet value, I figure I can start a sparrow farm.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31187 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »

Are zoos not a thing anymore? I wanted to put one in my legendary dining hall.

Caught a lot of giant sparrows, so with their size, and ok pet value, I figure I can start a sparrow farm.

Zoos are still totally possible, but filling one with elephants isn't as easy anymore - tame elephants will unfailingly starve to death.

If you want to breed giant sparrows, i think you'll have to edit their entry in the .raw file and give them a [CHILD:1] tag. Giant versions of animals inherit the "child" setting of their base, and sparrows and other "vermin" creatures don't have a child tag.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31188 on: October 09, 2013, 04:48:53 pm »

The wiki says they breed. isn't that all I need? o.o

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31189 on: October 09, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

Operation Dianetics is going splendidly! In an unexpected twist, it appears that pouring lava down a mountainside full of goblins causes their metal equipment to spray out, injuring their fleeing comrades and causing them to give in to pain right in the path of the oncoming lava flow. Glorious!

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:04:37 pm by Cerol Lenslens »
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31190 on: October 09, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

The first of the Giant Sparrows Hatchlings was just sent off to the human colonies. First litter successful.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31191 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »

Built a "Final Solution" bunker. I load all the "unpure" creatures in cages into it, hook them up to levers, then pull the lever, close the hatch, and let the shooting squad have at them

The_Peanut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Not the Bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31192 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:03 pm »

I am seriously bewildered as of what to do now. Being a noob i somehow embarked next to a necromancer tower (or so  the wiki would lead me to believe) and so im getting sieged by zombies. On the other hand, they successfully eviscerated  several goblin ambushes, so once they leave there are plenty of whips and scourges for my fledgling lasher squad. Almost tempted to write something up about this place, because for my first fort, damn

Edit: just did a head count, 54 zombies milling around outside my fort... caravans won't save me this time
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:48:36 pm by The_Peanut »
"Fire is the ultimate antibiotic" ~ Squint

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31193 on: October 10, 2013, 09:10:27 pm »

Ok guys, you are embarking on what is planned to be a test fort.  I have supplied you with 5 of each new plant to be thoroughly milled and tested. If successful you will become the founders of a successful fortress. Get to it guys! *embark*

I see I forgot the pick.  No matter, that just means It won't evolve into a real fort post test.  No need to set up stockpiles, we won't be here long. Get milling!

...What do you mean I need stone for a quern...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ElusiveVolvox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31194 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »

Welp, my current fort is screwed.

Another goblin siege came, about 14 pikemen and other soldiers riding cave crocs and some trolls supporting them. I had my militia shoot anyone dumb enough to come close, but the majority of the enemy just milled around this small pond to the south. After some time I figured "Pfft, I can take them." and stupidly opened the gate. Now about 3/4 of my militia is dead, the remaining quarter is either too injured or too angry to fight, and the trolls and goblins just broke into my dining hall and made a lot of corpses. Even if I do beat off the siege, I think the ensuing tantrum spiral will seal my fate.

But hey, losing is fun. I'm glad that I managed to make a fort that survived long enough to die to a goblin siege.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31195 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »

A forest titan showed up - a winged blob of water with a regal bearing and webs coming out its... everywhere, I guess.

At first I was not terribly threatened. It's a blob of water. What's it going to do? Push me to death? Then I saw what it did to that poor sheep...

And that poor brewer, too! I didn't know a push could sever limbs so easily, but the thing pretty much broke every bone and major organ in the guy's body, then dismembered him.

Despite it having murdered a citizen of my fort, I still would rather catch it. With that thing's silk I could legitimately claim to create the fabled Flying Water Cloth!
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31196 on: October 10, 2013, 11:57:07 pm »

I see I forgot the pick. ...What do you mean I need stone for a quern...
*chuckle snort chuckle*
Obviously you've modded in some milled plants, from your post but... I'm curious as to what kinds. Spices?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31197 on: October 11, 2013, 11:08:24 am »

Dyes mostly.

It always bugged me how limited the dye options are.  Red, Blue, Black, and added a white dye to one of my other previously modded plants.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31198 on: October 11, 2013, 11:36:48 am »

Walldreams fell, and is being reclaimed. One single ambush, and then there was a tantrum spiral. Abandoned.

The reclaim consisted of spending a year with each of the seven dwarves, plus the 4 who immigrated, hauling seeds. One. At. A. Time.

Second spring, nearly 30 immigrants show up. Then the elven caravan. Then an ambush.

I just started engraving, and my dwarves are even more heavy metal than I first realized:

Catgirl necrophillia? ??? Why does my brain work like this?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31199 on: October 11, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »

I'm still not quite sure if this is properly reproduceable, but i managed a basic minecart switch that works with a perpendicular roller, without constraining walls or anything, just by the magic of carefully regulating speed and building lots of track corners to catch and re-regulate the diagonally moving cart.

Behold:
  Buildings:

The carts enters at medium speed (coming from the roller to the left), the actual switch consists first of a medium speed E->W roller on the NE track corner. Depending on whether this roller is on or off, the cart is sent around the loop or passes straight east. Thus it encounters the roller in the centre, a highest speed roller which works S->N, either coming from the west or from the east. If the perpendicular roller is off, the cart simply passes over it and leaves on one of the south-leading tracks - either the right one when both rollers were off, or the left one when the first roller was on and the perpendicular off.

If the perpendicular roller is on, the cart is sent on a 'high-angle' diagonal trajectory, either NE (first roller off, perpendicular on) or NW (both rollers on). It is then caught by the SW or SE track corner two steps away from the perpendicular roller, and because of the trajectory angle (i think; it works less well or not at all when all involved rollers work at the same speed) gets 'caught' by the corner and returns to obeying track paths. The NE-going cart moves off on the rightmost north-pointing tracks, the NW-going one ends up on the "half-left" track. The one all the way left worked when both the first switch roller and the perpendicular roller were highest speed.  Most of the tracks to the north is complete nonsense, as far as i can tell only the 'catching' corner and an outgoing track are needed for each switch option.

The main selling point of this device is of course that it takes only two rollers to convert the four possible combinations of two 'bit' inputs into four distinct 'outputs', something that takes a full _three_ rollers otherwise.

BTW, the roller to the northwest (north of the "starting" roller) sits on a non-floor tile and wouldn't accelerate a cart even if one passed over it, i used it only for power transmission. This way, the entire circuit requires at most exactly the forty power produced by the two windmills. The roller cost a rope extra, but saved a crucial three power over a gear assembly.
Pages: 1 ... 2078 2079 [2080] 2081 2082 ... 3842