Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2076 2077 [2078] 2079 2080 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096625 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31155 on: October 06, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »

SHoulda sent him after a draltha instead.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31156 on: October 06, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »

What's so bad about traction benches?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31157 on: October 06, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

Wasn't the traction benches, just the mayor being an annoying noble.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31158 on: October 06, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

At the new Fort, Several Peach-Faced Lovebird men have dedicated their lives to killing a Giant Sponge. 3 of them are engaged in a endless tussle, them swooping and biting and tearing the Sponge, with it unable to fight back. I feel the need to kill the birdmen, but I figure either winter will come and finish off the sponge or a ambush will solve it.

They won't get tired, hungry, or anything, any of them. I bet if don't do anything they'll just keep fighting to the end of time.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:13:50 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31159 on: October 06, 2013, 09:05:45 pm »

At the new Fort, Several Peach-Faced Lovebird men have dedicated their lives to killing a Giant Sponge. 3 of them are engaged in a endless tussle, them swooping and biting and tearing the Sponge, with it unable to fight back. I feel the need to kill the birdmen, but I figure either winter will come and finish off the sponge or a ambush will solve it.

They won't get tired, hungry, or anything, any of them. I bet if don't do anything they'll just keep fighting to the end of time.

Yes, but you will also have legendary-unarmed-fighting birdmen to capture and tame, and unleash on the goblins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31160 on: October 06, 2013, 09:06:59 pm »

Drop some weapons for them and hope they pick them up, then they could be legendary swordsbirdmen.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31161 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:09 pm »

If I station archers in a tower one to 3 z-levels ABOVE ground with fortifications, can they fire on the ground?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31162 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »

Not the ground directly beneath them: archers have a maximum -45 degree angle of fire when above their targets, so archers 3 stories in the air can only hit targets 3 tiles away from the wall. Anything closer than that they will be unable to hit.

You could make a stepped pyramid, though, with each descending level one tile further out than the last, and they should be able to hit targets near the bottom level.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31163 on: October 06, 2013, 10:26:24 pm »

Works for me. Thanks. :)

Garukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31164 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Beardcastle has seen harsh times.

While the earlier mentioned starving of the current residents went well, with new migrants filling their ranks and not really caring about the stench and blood coming from that one room at the far end of the hall, i may have made a slight mistake.
I decided to blame all the reported murders and assorted crimes (several dozens) on a local and very dead polar bear, which caused the new residents to completely flip their shit and murder themselves. On top of that, the single bridge protection the fort from the outside was taken apart by a tantrummer, and goblin pikemen swept in and picked apart the remains.

Since then i've reclaimed (With said pikegoblins earning the title of honorary dwarves for killing a FB apparently lurking around) and after several years of burials (the catacombs are by far more populated than the actual fort), hauling socks, hauling corpses, yeti attacks, ambushes, sieges, forgotten beasts in the dining room, ecstatic vampire managers, a vast majority of moods being possessions, and almost all artifacts ending up decorated with dwarves being killed by local dragons, things are finally clearing up. Maybe i can finally get around to get the masons to make something more interesting than Rock Coffin x30. Maybe some chairs for the dining room. Some tables would be nice, too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31165 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:12 pm »

More of a facelol than a facepalm. I was filling the prision water system (for some reason, the dwarfs who were jailed got a thought about no well being available even though there is one in the room, and yes there was water in there. I removed the water because I had filled it up using DFhacks liquid cheat, but I suspect that it started causing a FPS drop.) when I suddenly got 'interrupted by minotaur' cancellation messages. Apparently I had accidentially pitted the minotaur in there, heh. Going to pit a couple goblin thieves in there to see if they'll fight, and yeah I'll have to clean the mess afterwards.

Nvm, one of the inactive marksdwarves shot it to death.

Edit2: Whoop, fire breathing serpent FB just showed up on the second cavern level (which has access to the first), time to get the marksdwarves and swordsdwarves into position.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:34:08 pm by smjjames »

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31166 on: October 07, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »

Alright I need a challenge for this fort. It's a regular mineral, very high beast and natural savagery world. What to do... I need some excitement in my fortressing.
I don't bite.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31167 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:08 pm »

Well, a Pandashi assault has been beaten back. Turns out using a hellfire mine in a grassy field, while effective at incinerating the three pandashi that were around it, was a bad idea and only the timely appearance of rain saved several dwarves from an !!agonizing death.!!

Also it seems my chief mechanic has been ordered locked up for a month by the mayor on the grounds that he didn't make any flasks/waterskins because he had some minor ability at leatherworking. Oh well, Mayor Inrus has been a good mayor it in this case it really was my fault for neglecting the mandate, so I'll let this slide. Besides, give's me a reason to build a jail.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31168 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:52 pm »

Alright I need a challenge for this fort. It's a regular mineral, very high beast and natural savagery world. What to do... I need some excitement in my fortressing.
Embark on a megabeast shrine or dragon's lair.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31169 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:24 pm »

A six legged quadruped (centauroid I guess? At least that's how I imagine it) FB composed of water showed up, since I was still filling the prison water supply, I had my military go and confront it (or more like waited until the FB came to them). Being made of water, it died quickly and rather explosively as it self destructed from the deadly dust.

So far, the FB extract syndrome only causes rotten kidneys, which would be kidney failure in real life. However, I'm aware of delayed effects, so I'm keeping an eye on these dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 2076 2077 [2078] 2079 2080 ... 3842