Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 [2071] 2072 2073 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096433 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31050 on: September 28, 2013, 06:37:58 pm »

They probably all killed themselves so that they could be the first entombed in that bitchin casket.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31051 on: September 28, 2013, 06:46:29 pm »

They probably all killed themselves so that they could be the first entombed in that bitchin casket.

Actually it was a combination of neglect and my hoping hey could deal with necrotic skin for a bit while i got a hospital up to excise said skin.... on the upside there's a hospital now!

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #31052 on: September 28, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

I just started engraving, and my dwarves are even more heavy metal than I first realized:

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31053 on: September 28, 2013, 07:20:07 pm »

One of the twelve year olds thinks she can escape corpse clearing duty by pretending picking up dead honey bees is the same as hauling an elf corpse.
Your parents cleaned up after themselves, so can you.

Give her some credit, no one wants to haul around a hippie elf.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31054 on: September 28, 2013, 08:00:53 pm »

I just discovered that apparently FBs are vulnerable to other FBs extracts. I saw a corpse that I didn't recall having killed or seen a combat report for, looked at it and it was apparently a FB (and no I did not do slayrace on it). Checked with deathcause and it died earlier this year at some point because of blood loss. Going to make a slab engraving of it to see if I can get any further info.

Edit: Slab still says bled to death.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:07:18 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31055 on: September 28, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

I just discovered that apparently FBs are vulnerable to other FBs extracts. I saw a corpse that I didn't recall having killed or seen a combat report for, looked at it and it was apparently a FB (and no I did not do slayrace on it). Checked with deathcause and it died earlier this year at some point because of blood loss. Going to make a slab engraving of it to see if I can get any further info.

The syndrome probably induced bleeding then. I don't think syndromes can be listed as the cause of death, but it will list what the syndrome did to kill the person, like bleeding or suffocation.

Might want to see if you can find where the contaminants are, in case you want to hold a cavern expedition. Or at least make sure everyone has shoes. Which gives me a good segue into what my fort's doing.

I've just noticed that I've been neglecting my fort's clothing stocks, but my spinners and weavers have managed to give my fort a supply of over 1,000 rope reed cloths without my notice, so I've been cranking out pants and cloaks like crazy.

I've also been attempting to curb my animal population, but the cats are too ingrained. They've successfully brainwashed at least five of the residents, causing them to give amnesty to the feline scourge. Seriously, kittens are adopting them and I have over 50 cats now!

The pigs and llamas have been cut back drastically, and I'm leaving the dogs alone for the most part, since they aren't a problem. And unlike pigs, they can be war trained.

Not that that makes a difference, I'm still under a permanent false siege, so nothing will ever come at me, as all the Megabeasts and Titans of the world are dead. I know, I checked legends mode using a duplicate save. I killed one of the titans with an adventurer, and the other died in my fort. The hydra died in world-gen.

There is still a BC roaming around, though. I may have some luck there.

What was I talking about again? Oh right, llamas! I've moved them from their above-ground pasture to an underground one of a larger size, but they seem to be fighting, despite the fact that there are even fewer in a larger pasture than before. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31056 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »

Artifact Candy Sword!!!!   what's better? this or the platinum war hammer i got earlier?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31057 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:31 pm »

The sword is better.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31058 on: September 28, 2013, 10:45:02 pm »

Artifact Candy Sword!!!!   what's better? this or the platinum war hammer i got earlier?

That's actually the hardest decision I've ever come across in this game.

The legendary Excalibur versus the Platinum Compensator.

From a purely technical standard though, the war-hammer wins, simply because it can only bash. Every once in a while a soldier will attempt to slap or pommel the enemy with their sword, essentially losing a potential attack because of adamantine's poor blunt damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though I guess it depends on the situation, as blunt is poor against creatures that have no bones or organs to damage.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31059 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

The problem with the hammer is that it will slow the dwarf down considerably, while the sword is essentially weightless.

The_Peanut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Not the Bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31060 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:10 pm »

Well, running my first fort and my blacksmith went insane from incomplete mood. Marksdwarf took him out in a few shots but not before he injured a few people. Then nobody dumped his corpse and a miasma came. I currently have quite a few unhappy and miserable dwarves. Gonna watch and see if this develops into a full on tantrum spiral.

Edit: Tantrum spiral averted. Fortress is back to normal, trade is good. Things are looking up!

Edit 2: OH GOD, i forgot to memorialize & bury the blacksmith and he came back as a ghost AND IS TEARING OFF CHILDREN'S LEGS! and it's winter so i don't have water to take care of the wounded!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:03:07 am by The_Peanut »
"Fire is the ultimate antibiotic" ~ Squint

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31061 on: September 28, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »

The syndrome probably induced bleeding then. I don't think syndromes can be listed as the cause of death, but it will list what the syndrome did to kill the person, like bleeding or suffocation.

Might want to see if you can find where the contaminants are, in case you want to hold a cavern expedition. Or at least make sure everyone has shoes.

Well, the only other FB that is roaming on the same cavern level is one with noxious secretions which has absolutely contaminated the water down there. The lakes are full of pools of that FBs extract as it went through them multiple times. There is even a trail of blood starting from near the shore, so..... it certainly looks like that other FBs extract is the culprit.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31062 on: September 29, 2013, 12:50:11 am »

I had a Dragon set fire to my Butcher/Tannery as well as some Raven woman corpse in the refuse stockpile a year ago. That, started a huge grassfire which was quite...... interesting to watch because

a: Apparently Trade Depots don't catch fire. Perhaps it was because its made of Billon alloy.
b: Dwarven merchants and even my Dwarves don't catch fire even though the grassfire was blazing all around it.(save for the south due to a barren pasture.)
c: I never saw fire resistant trees and honey hives before:D

But then again, I only saw fire once due to a Fire breathing FB:D

I just noticed something though. My biome straddles between a mountain and a grassland, the Grassland is starting to recover, but the Mountai patch now appears doomed to be forever covered in ash........ I need ideas on how to exploit this thematically:D

Mount Doom? I was planning to set up a refuse tower and I had this idea about a Necromancer Tower to unleash upon the goblin hordes but I have no idea how to prevent blowback from killing my Fort.

Wall off the rest of the map so the incoming zombie/goblin horde must trod through an ash covered wasteland to attack the fertile bastion of civilisation?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:53:17 am by PainRack »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31063 on: September 29, 2013, 03:26:30 am »

Veilfigure

8th Hematite, 202

A recent immigrant, Erush Hameclobber, was taken by a fey mood and created a hematite bracelet.

Domas Spikesbronze is a member of my fort.

Spoiler: Poor guy. (click to show/hide)

Surprisingly, Erush and Domas barely know each other.

Additionally, Domas has enough former homes to be a potential vampire, except...

He's also five years away from the minimum age for death-by-old-age, and his wife got mauled by a giant kea a month ago.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31064 on: September 29, 2013, 03:41:34 am »

Sounds like he is well travelled, although, former king? A king only either stops being king because they died or became a night creature/necromancer. AFAIK, monarchs in worldgen don't abdicate or give up their crown and retire somewhere.

Vampire or not, sounds like his legends entry would be interesting.

Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 [2071] 2072 2073 ... 3842