Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2058 2059 [2060] 2061 2062 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095605 times)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30885 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:10 pm »

Decided to have A FLR mod fort, had A wesome story in my mind, but then some kind of fuck up and the DF thing closed right be fore the safe, I fuuuuuu'd.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30886 on: September 16, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »

Note: fair warning, pony fort follows.

Hailedmoon saw yet more disproportionate attacks against its youth.  While none were snatched away from their mothers this time, two pegasi with a warhammers flew down into the exposed mines after Pebbles and her foals.  Pebbles panicked and flew out with her daughter Brass Leaf, but Bronze Ingot and Marble Swirl were deeper inside, unbeknownst to her.  The first Pegasus gave chase while the other flew deeper inside.  Pebbles managed to get to the safety of her husband Gladius, but before he could intercept the Pegasus it had already broken Brass Leaf's hoof with his hammer.  Gladius shredded the fool that harmed his daughter, leaving legs and wings strewn about.

Bronze Ingot and Marble Swirl fared worse.  The remaining soldiers were fast and flew as fast as they could, but not before the Pegasus down in the mines found them.  Bronze Ingot received several broken limbs and a broken rib, but his sister's incessant attacks with her horn fended the discordant Pegasus off long enough for the soldiers arrived.  They found her in a sobbing heap without her horn and her brother lying motionless behind her.  Zweihander and Katana shredded this fool too crushing the life from his battered body with unending devastating blows.

The wounded foals were rushed to join their sister in the hospital, where doctors Remedy and Cleansing Light immediately began treating them.  All three are expected to make a full recovery, but are probably traumatized for life.  Their other sister Breccia and parents are with them, so at least they are not alone while they recover.

Meanwhile, the manager Valor is still overseeing the construction of the town's keep.  He's been the leader for over a decade now, having spent almost every waking moment either keeping tabs on the stocks, tossing out work orders or taking a personal interest in the architecture of the wells, roads and other buildings of the town.  It only makes sense that he'd want to personally oversee the keep's construction, as everypony, himself included, knows that he's the top candidate for baron once the king passes the title on.  He commissioned a very large keep though, and though he's over thirty years old he's never even had a marefriend.  He's going to be awfully lonely in such a big home...

And just now, scouts saw badger ponies sneaking this way.  Hopefully he won't be too busy laying down some of the roads outside when they get too close...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30887 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »

badger ponies, lolwut? Is everything ponifyed in that mod, even the horses, donkeys, and mules?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30888 on: September 16, 2013, 08:57:55 pm »

I sometimes wonder if the Dwarfs are smarter in some ways than others.

I am making a surface city for my surface dwellers. Designed mostly housing, with a few diners and workshops outside, some protected with roofs, and so on.  I noticed my booze supply was lower than I like for 200 plus Dwarfs.  Very low. 

I decided that the rain and snow and outside elements were limiting the time the Dwarfs could work at the still.  And while I had a few roofs over many of the workshops I had neglected the STILLS!

So I put roofs over the stills while making a larger building than before.  Put a still in it, a few tables, and a stockpile with only drinks in it.  Not milk.  BOOZE.
A bar in fact.  Now I have built two diners and had placed a statue outside each of them as if to show that that was a McDwarf's.   

I placed the statue on the roof of the bar.  So Dwarfs could see if from a distance and know it was a BAR.

I wondered what the statue was and took a peek.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you SURE they don't know what they are doing?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30889 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »

Sounds like a fun mod. Maybe I should try it some time. :3

A lasherdwarf singlehandely took out a fire elemental before the rest of the military even showed up. Sadly she succombed to her wounds soon after, but she will be getting a nice tomb. Her coffin will watch over the passage way to the caverns...

I just donated a shit ton of expensive wooden products to the dwarven caravan, so I'm hoping I get the King soon, which I've never gotten before. Also trying to find adamantine and make use of the magma layer. Damn fire elemental broke my magma forge...but luckily the smelter is safe, so steel should be less expensive fuel-wise to make.

I think I also finally figured out why wagons kept finding my site inaccessible. This time I was like, wtf I built a 5 tile wide bridge for you punks, but then I saw them crossing via the smaller bridge which has traps at this end, so I dismantled that bridge and the traps.

They have no excuse now. >:]

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #30890 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:36 pm »

Masterful, callisto. That statue's placement is worth it's weight in areogel.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30891 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:31 pm »

badger ponies, lolwut? Is everything ponifyed in that mod, even the horses, donkeys, and mules?

I like to look at it more as them being deranged pony tribals who happen to worship specific animals (badgers and cave bears seem to be the most common) and having a bad habit of slave trading mixed with possible mental illness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30892 on: September 16, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »

Yeah, that.  Badger ponies are just the equivalent of badger men.  There are a few examples of that in the mod, and while I'm not a huge fan of them, they add a bit of variety and I keep forgetting to remove them before genning new worlds.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30893 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:00 am »

Stupid keas, getting their stupid bird-blood all over my nice new paved roads. >:(
(Actually I think that blood's been sitting there for years... Oh well.)

Also I had a baby born with 'a once-thin frame, now belarded'. Yeah, good luck with life, Dumat Deerstaves.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30894 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:18 am »

Overseer Doof's Log, Dwarven Fortress of Syrupstone;

As I write this, a draltha is killing any dwarf it sees. Armok, help u-

*the rest of the page is covered in brain, blood, and bone*
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30895 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:52 am »

Also, minotaur came which beat the crap out of the dogs at the entrance and then got itself caught. Also caught a couple snatchers who decided to go in ahead of it.
Hm, I just had a minotaur (this fort's 2nd, the first was the first enemy that I saw, which is pretty common) show up when I last save-exited DF, now I'm thinking whether I should try to capture it... at least as semimegabeasts, minotaurs aren't as limited in number as eg. big cats or bears that might wander onto your map. Would make a great enemy for dwarven gladiatorial games. Do they pick up weapons lying around? A minotaur with a great axe/maul would probably be nasty ;)

...My main problemopportunity so far are giant wolverines...
FTFY. Which I don't usually do, or condone, this, but this was a must. Too bad they're not trainable. But also, see the above about gladiatorial games.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30896 on: September 17, 2013, 09:01:25 am »

Also, minotaur came which beat the crap out of the dogs at the entrance and then got itself caught. Also caught a couple snatchers who decided to go in ahead of it.
Hm, I just had a minotaur (this fort's 2nd, the first was the first enemy that I saw, which is pretty common) show up when I last save-exited DF, now I'm thinking whether I should try to capture it... at least as semimegabeasts, minotaurs aren't as limited in number as eg. big cats or bears that might wander onto your map. Would make a great enemy for dwarven gladiatorial games. Do they pick up weapons lying around? A minotaur with a great axe/maul would probably be nasty ;)

The problem though is that after getting caged, semi-megabeasts don't fight back, or not always. Don't know about picking up weapons.

What you could do is pit it into a pit full of naked and disarmed goblins or whatever else and the minotaur should start fighting them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30897 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:07 am »

One of the faedogs we recently purchased got shot by a goblin. Bladesdorf Tarem didn't take too kindly to a fellow protector of the fortress dying in such an ignoble manner and lead a dragon raptor and another faedog out to meet the goblin archers, as Col. Asmel and Bladesdorf Kol were eating and sleeping respectively, however, as there was no forewarning I don't hold any ill will towards them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30898 on: September 17, 2013, 09:37:24 am »

Whats a faedog, a dog with fairy wings? Heh, also which mod?

Anyhow, current going ons in the fort: I'm currently apprenticeing my children as mechanics (via DT) to increase the chances of a mechanic mood, plus remove useless craftsdwarf mood potential.

EDIT: JUST as I posted this, I got a possession which turned out to be a mechanic mood, so, yay! Too bad it's a possession though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:40:12 am by smjjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30899 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:35 am »

faedogs are a masterwork creature that are the best non giant canine animals for combat. they are described as fairy hounds that prowl the good lands or some such nonsense. Make good snatcher catchers though, but they fail to hold a candle to my small horde of therodpods.

I just got a possession myself, my manager.

Ina fight of pure irritation I've done the unthinkable and slayrace'd the goblins in the area, not becuse of the risks but just because I'm tired of their stupid mounts and lack of variety with their soldiers. Next masterwork world I gen I'm going to make sure they have more than whips and bowmen and that giant drowspiders can't be used as mounts, because frankly that's a boring/frustrating rather than legitimately entertaining gimmick.

We did massacre the foot sloggers that attacked the east gate though, which resulted in Col. Asmel (who joined late and killed three goblins) to name his shield Martyredgrips The Construct of Distractions, and Tarem to name his sword The Aching Masters. Amazingly the only casualty was the one faedog, not counting the Nith who got gutshot (I find it amazing that it even survived due to its tiny size usually meaning even arrows remove limbs or bisect them,) and the other faedog that took two arrows to the same foreleg.
Pages: 1 ... 2058 2059 [2060] 2061 2062 ... 3842