Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2057 2058 [2059] 2060 2061 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095462 times)

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30870 on: September 16, 2013, 12:31:52 pm »

trying to construct a death trap or actual use for my goddamn immigrants
they all show up and are whining about how they witnessed all their family die and had to drink vomit and endure the decay of a child
and I'm like
bitch, if I cared about you I would just kill your whole family to watch you suffer

so now that I've reached a nice critical mass of useful dwarves I'm kinda having a conflict
do I want to just kill all my immigrants with a massive canyon with a retractable bridge connected to pressure plates so that the immigrants wind up killing their own
or do I use them as my morlocks to my eloi in the nice part of the fortress through burrow usage and just have them collecting wood and burning it as well as fishing and plant gathering and farming and butchery?
that sounds tempting. plus it means that I can just give up the overcrowded bedroom section on my -7 floor and make a new elite housing section on like -20 or so
that would mean that I might have to move my production facilities lower.
eh it would mean more room for my stockpiles.
I don't bite.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30871 on: September 16, 2013, 01:01:08 pm »

Welp, a moleweasle was shot in half, an ambassador got shot in the leg, and an engineer was beaten to death by an ogress. We surprisingly managed to not have the soldiers shot full of holes. But, we now have a coin press and a weather control device.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30872 on: September 16, 2013, 01:23:53 pm »

My new Masterwork fortress just had its first attack by Forest Imps.  Fortunately, I'd prepared for this sort of thing, and had a squad of wardogs (and a suprisingly handy peasant) ready.  Whilst skimming the combat logs afterwards, I came across the following:
The Stray war Dog shakes The Forest Imp around by the torso and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The torso is ripped away and remains in The Stray war Dog's grip!

How the hell do you sever a torso?
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30873 on: September 16, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »

Log of Overcolt Doof, Mid-Spring, 202.

We got four more crazies following our migrant wave. Can't order them executed, the citizens will shun the soldiers that do so, and the soldiers will try and kill the citizens. Gonna hope they piss off the Mister Macintosh that's wandering around near the city limits.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30874 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:01 pm »

A miner went and had a possession and made.... an artifact millstone, my THIRD one, dangit! :P I know I could have savescummed but didn't feel like doing it at that moment. Also, somewhat earlier, a carpenter made an artifact splint.

Doing some testing with a volcano cap using a bridge, which didn't quite go the way I expected since the bridge deconstructed on me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30875 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »

My new Masterwork fortress just had its first attack by Forest Imps.  Fortunately, I'd prepared for this sort of thing, and had a squad of wardogs (and a suprisingly handy peasant) ready.  Whilst skimming the combat logs afterwards, I came across the following:
The Stray war Dog shakes The Forest Imp around by the torso and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Presumably the torso is considered the entirety of the upper body (whereas the chest it has is just the absolute upper portion,) so presumably the dog tore it in half at the belly button, or whatever the equivalent is for forest imps.

Weather control device is up and running! yay us!.... Now we have very little reason to care what happens to the gnomes.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30876 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

My elf merchants left (good riddance, I'd decided not to trade with them) rather unexpectly, and I discovered an elf corpse as the possible reason why. Now...I have no idea how he/she died, and the combat logs show nothing. So I engraved a slab for him/her, and it only says "suffocated". Of what....?

I did noticed the corpse was right next to a colony of bane spiders (which don't bother my dwarves, but you never know). So anyway I decided to put the slab next to the depot and build a little hut next to the river of rough white stone (for that natural look) with some trees inside, to house the elf's coffin. As a nice gesture.

I like elves outside of df, just in df they're morbidly annoying. So yeah.

Also Driders almost destroyed my fortress. So naturally I want to play them. A drider fortress >.> We could make our own silk! X3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30877 on: September 16, 2013, 02:17:06 pm »

Presumably the torso is considered the entirety of the upper body (whereas the chest it has is just the absolute upper portion,) so presumably the dog tore it in half at the belly button, or whatever the equivalent is for forest imps.

Weather control device is up and running! yay us!.... Now we have very little reason to care what happens to the gnomes.

Weather control device O.o I should check out the masterwork mod sometime.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30878 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »

Would have been wonderful when there was a fucking wildfire that incinerated everything on the southern half of the map save the three swordlords who had to hide up on a hill where the fire couldn't get them and wait it out. Now I'm prepared.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30879 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40:04 pm »

I had one of those moments you can't really explain its awesomeness to people who don't play DF.  I was building some tunnels for my obsidian farm when I inadvertently sent one of my miners through an adamantine spire.  Of course, it just had to be one that linked to an eerie pit, so I got my message and thought 'oh crap', since I didn't have much of a military to begin with.  I instructed him to build a floor with the first available stone.  When I got the message that construction was suspended because a creature occupying the site, I knew I was in trouble.  The miner dropped the stone and started running towards the... main staircase... new game starting in 3...2...  despite the fiends being maybe ten squares behind him, I gave it one last try and ordered a wall build right before the staircase.  Now, at this point, I expected, like all cowardly and stupid dwarves, for this guy to ignore the construction order and run right into the main dining hall with all the beasties right behind him.  Instead, he stopped, built the wall, and finished right before the fireball hit him and burned him to a cinder.  What made those lines of code make him display such self-sacrifice and bravery instead of the usual dunderheadishness, I'll never know, but its moments like that that keep you playing.

Luckily, as I mentioned, I have a reservoir of magma all ready to go that I had been planning on using to make obsidian, so after a cave-in to kill the beasties waiting around that wall segment, I should be ready to mount a counterstrike and avenge that brave little dude.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30880 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:17 pm »

That is AWESOME. I know, it's things like these you just can't explain to non-players. Or non-gamers in general, anyway.

So, it seems you can't assign a tomb to a merchant, unlike slabs. So I've designated a one pixel garbage dump right next to the elf's 'tomb' and I'm going to 'dump' his/her corpse then undesignate the dump, and s/he can just...lie there in the grass among the trees in elvish splendor, with the waterfall as the background music to his/her final resting place. >.> The things I do for poetic beauty.

I also mixed a few bars of silver in with the limestone for the roof, because I remembered that in lotr elves love silver. I love it too, so it was a bit of a sacrifice, but this whole affair is making me feel very lotr-ish, so I can't complain much.

Edit: Also, I noticed a few posts ago that I am no longer an Escaped Lunatic (LOL yeah no I still am, like all df players) but have joined the hallowed and venerable ranks of the Bay Watchers! Yay! *feels accomplished* *was pleased to enter the ranks of the Bay Watchers lately*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:52:58 pm by dig_for_!!sparklies!! »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30881 on: September 16, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »

Now that a year has gone by, and the "Narrow Man" has been killed, everything seems to be coming along fine in Tourcrush. Ignoring the fact there there are no weapons-grade metals on the map. I've decided to try to make another attempt at an above-ground fort. Lots of trees, sand, and clay, so I'm not wanting for raw materials at least.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But no-one seems to want to release the bear we had bought from the elves. I've assigned it to a pasture, and I've lots of lazy gits doing nothing, but they won't take her out of her cage. Also, while grizzlies and polars are trainable, black bears are not. I think I've been ripped off, all those socks for a passive pooh-bear.

Then a soap-maker went into a mood. Demanding bones, no less. It's only year 2, we haven't any corpses yet. None that can be butchered, anyways. But I sacrificed two of the breeding animals and some random mule that followed some migrants, and that seemed to appease the nutter.

"Oh great, we're going to see him make an earring, or a figurine, or some other such garbage." I thought.

Nope. Mule bone pickaxe. Guess who gets his own house?

Not him, it was a possession. But still, good for him, not being totally useless.

Edit: The Peasant Zulban Itontan has come! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink an industry! He's also being chased across the map by a duck.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:53:46 pm by BlackFlyme »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30882 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

Just started new fort. going well. Have farms, dorms, broker, and workshops set up. Building defenses currently.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30883 on: September 16, 2013, 05:12:50 pm »

Gotta love it when the werebeasts appear in untransformed mode. Also, I think werebeasts can visit your fort multiple times because in the last fort, I had a wereskunk who invaded at least three times and I swear it was the same individual.

Anyways, I had a gemcutter mood which started just after winter and produced a figurine of a mosqito, lol. I decided to savescum back a month, although no sign of a new strange mood yet.

Also, minotaur came which beat the crap out of the dogs at the entrance and then got itself caught. Also caught a couple snatchers who decided to go in ahead of it.

Edit: AND, the kobolds are trying to get in, heh.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30884 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:10 pm »

I wasn't too happy with adventuring of late (i find i either grind to invulnerability, which gets boring, or miss the proper point on the power comparison curve and end up in unwinnable fights, which gets boring), so just made yet another engineering experimentation fortress in the world.

Heh, it seems i set mineral scarcity to something obscenely big, most locales have nothing worth mentioning (apart from FLUX of course). I took one of the few "warm" places with "shallow metal", and it was limonite, embedded in a tasty dolomite matrix. Now if i played with military and had available magma, that'd be quite nifty. As it stands, it's just a fancy material for making goblets to buy stuff from the caravans. My main problem so far are giant wolverines. I lost five dwarfs to the damn things, three of them adults. Quite a bit of a problem considering i'm playing with very low population cap as per usual, so now i have thirteen adults to work with...
I hope i've sufficiently walled off the fort now to avoid further wolverine mishaps.

The first project was a smashing success: the heptal memory bank - a device which stores information in the form of water depth (values from zero to seven possible, only one to seven measured because you only get a constant depth if you deal in multiples of seven). It's quite simple, really - a small channel, 1x7, is flooded with water, then sealed off. 0-7 doors installed in the channel are closed, smashing a certain amount of water out of existence, then the remaining water is drained by a bank of seven screw pumps into another 1x7 'storage' channel, containing seven pressure plates reacting to 1;2;3...;7 water. To clear the memory, stored water is pumped off once again and either recycled or smashed. There's an obvious handling problem with this - one deep water cannot be pumped, so if you have one unit of water in the system, you need to add one or two extra units to storage to make the contained water pumpable. In principle, it should be possible to use this as an addition engine in base seven. And with some adjustments, it could be used as the core 'neighbour' measurer for Conway's Life. (Considering it's effectively just under three bits of memory, it's of course monstrously impractical for data storage.)

The other project is finally getting to its main stage - trying to see if i can get any data processing out of sending minecarts onto diagonal trajectories. It's fun, it's complicated and if i get anything to work it's guaranteed to be hilariously impractical. The main testing floor is built, the offset rollers are connected and linked to levers, and the main return loop works. The warm-up tests are mostly done.
Pages: 1 ... 2057 2058 [2059] 2060 2061 ... 3842