Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2055 2056 [2057] 2058 2059 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095130 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30840 on: September 14, 2013, 08:17:16 am »

An ice master would be what. a cryomancer?

Maybe you have a hidden pyromancer somewhere.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30841 on: September 14, 2013, 08:51:49 am »

Nothing else was down there so my only guess is they live up to the name of saboteurs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30842 on: September 14, 2013, 09:41:28 am »

Somehow one of my military dwarves got himself stuffed into a cage O.o In the proccess of getting the little idiot out.......

Edit: Nobody wants to get him out? wtf? Okayy, using lever........
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:44:27 am by smjjames »

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #30843 on: September 14, 2013, 10:07:14 am »

Somehow one of my military dwarves got himself stuffed into a cage O.o In the proccess of getting the little idiot out.......

Edit: Nobody wants to get him out? wtf? Okayy, using lever........
He probably feel and had to crawl on top of one.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30844 on: September 14, 2013, 10:52:24 am »

So, despite my map being quite peaceful (no goblins), I've been constructing a rather oversized military.
Because I can. I mean, I've finally figured the military stuff out so I might as well use it. :P

I've made a bunch of nifty watchtowers around the place, three so far, and I've actually managed to get my dwarves to man dwarf them! They've been decently effective so far, mostly for mowing down elven traders if they won't trade my cheap rubbish for their flour.

Anyway, the main reason I came in here was to tell you how a new migrant, pressed into a squad and still without a weapon, stumbled on a kobold thief whilst out on patrol. The poor 'bold got pretty much dogpiled by half the fort's military, but that same recruit, Obok Nethzas, finished it off by pulling off its loincloth and braining 'em with it. :o
...This guy is so getting promoted.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30845 on: September 14, 2013, 11:52:41 am »

I'm really happy with my second active fort, which not only has a waterfall, it has a NATURAL WATERFALL. O.O I saw it and was like...wut. I have to make very special rooms for this. So I'm slowly mining out the outer wall of the multilevel recreation room, and replacing it with various types of glass and gem windows. Also I channeled a small amount of the river water down into the inside of the room, so we can have an indoor waterfall too. Then I realized the top level room was flooding, so to prevent FUN (it wasn't really needed anyway, that room) I dug away a portion of that room's outer wall, so there is a second waterfall coming down over the glass outer walls of the observation / party / recreation rooms. :D

I've also almost finished walling off the caverns, but not before a herd--HERD--of Driders took out many many dwarves. Armor production is proceeding well too, as I've finally figured out how one makes steel. (Me: *facepalm* So all that limestone I've dumped in the past DOES have a use.) I play Masterwork, so I have a good relationship with the Drow but I refuse to trade with Elves. They insulted me one too many times. >.>

Oh, !!FUN!! (literally). A trader was hanging around suspiciously for a while, then finally transformed in a warlock spy. He went outside and set a fire. Fittingly he died in the fire (so I didn't have to send the military of dubious readiness). However, then df crashed and...i may have to deal with him again. But at least the surface isn't charred anymore. XP

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30846 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »

Ran a test on the attempt to drain the volcano pipe using water and ended up creating this, mass, of obsidian connected to the wall of the volcano pipe that is encapsilating the water, gah, screwed it up.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30847 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:22 pm »

Wallchance, year 133

Started reorganizing military, drafted in some expendable dwarves to fill up a slaughtered squad, and filled in some of the empty positions, some troops from the fortress guard got reassigned too.

An enormous hairy alligator comes, with poisonous bite!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It hides in the water, not wanting to come out, I try to lure it out with miners, which doesn't work, but I realize that I could build some floors between walls, and then mine them out, so I can at least pester the beast with bolts, after a point the miners get too scared to do their job, but it works out as the alligator takes the bite and chases a miner into my military squad, and a couple of dogs.

They make quick work of it, I setup the further processing of adamantine, as I managed to get to another spine without trouble, and then...

A towering feathered fire-spitting firefly comes!
I try to distract it with a squad, before it gets to my pastures, which also serves as the path between the metal industry and the rest of the fort, it's too fast so I end up with only one squad defending the area, which only has one marksdwarf, one former fortress guard immediately gets a fireball to the face, and chaos ensues, the pasture starts burning, alcohol from waterskins blow up in the face of the dwarves, the one marksdwarf manages to elude the fires, and takes some shots at the beast, while the aflame former fortress guard gets in to melee with it,  after a struggle he stabs it in the brain with his masterwork silver shortsword.

The former guard burns to crisp along with 3 other melee dwarves, who couldn't do anything better in the fight than run around on fire, the marksdwarf's drink explodes in her face, and she bleeds out, and then *POWER OUTAGE* Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30848 on: September 14, 2013, 01:29:38 pm »

Three deaths in a short period. The luck of the militia has run out, as has the luck of those that go moody.

A possessed child demanded shells. I don't have access to shells, at least without opening the fort up to the wide world abroad and all its pointy goblin spears and undead arms. Risking the entire population for one girl wasn't worth it, so I gave her a designated tomb and walled her up before she went berserk. Later I took pity on her and opened the walls so the militia could give her a dwarven death. Her sister was among the militia that fought her, and many of the soldiers were then unhappy, having witnessed death. Not to mention a lot of the fortress was related to her.

Next there was a Yellow Eyed Terror incursion, courtesy of Darklord92's Vilous Mod. She bumrushed the trap hallway, and promptly dodged right into the pit, breaking quite a few bones upon landing. I ordered the hatch leading out of the pit sealed to prevent her escape into the fortress as I know all too well just how much damage these creatures can do to even legendary adventurers with a great many companions. I then set up cage traps around the hatch in the hopes of capturing her, and unlocked it with the militia stationed down the hall a short distance. She came up to the hatch and began breaking through it when suddenly... Ineth the dumbass soldier rushes in heroically! He dies soon after, but not before I ordered the rest of the militia to pursue in the hopes of... Well, honestly that was a terrible, terrible decision on my part.

They engage the beast on the stairwell, and the fight is relatively long because she manages to soak up so much damage just by being incredibly fat. The dwarves do eventually kill her, but not before she'd finished mauling poor Ineth, and broken the militia commander's spine, resulting in her suffocating a couple days after being brought to the hospital. The commander was my woodsdwarf from the initial embark party, and one of the most experienced soldiers. Unfortunately, she has to rest in peace in the same graveyard as everyone else. Most of the inhabitants being merchants and zombies the necros brought with them.

The fortress is in a glum mood. Nobody is tantrumming just yet, but most of them are no longer ecstatic.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30849 on: September 14, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »

The good news is that non-sentient creatures can't be affected by vanilla, generated werebeast curses. So no were-panda-rams! :D

Awww! That isn't good news at all!

I was going to wall up my ram outdoors. I'd keep prisoners on top of the wall in cages and every time my ram transformed I'd feed them to my were-panda ram. With the intent of eventually granting him a title.

Oh well :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30850 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »

Well there's always the chance that another werebeast will show up. You could wait for one to come along, and let it get caught in cage traps. You might have to get creative about catching it, though, as your best bet is to wait for it to transform back into its natural form and run back out through your traps. Then you can feed it dwarves or something until several of them get infected.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30851 on: September 14, 2013, 05:09:48 pm »

A spearmaster gets charged with violation of a production order (bracelets) and sentenced to 5 hammerings. 3rd hammering bashes her skull in.

Stupid mayor.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30852 on: September 14, 2013, 05:33:08 pm »

Two leatherworkers named Dreadghost and Gloomstar showed up. Morbidly fitting, because I just had a fire that I blamed on the "traders" hanging around the edge of my map, who I then attacked on suspicion of being warlock spies.Well. Penning myself in with fortifications (COME ON YOU BEARDED SODS, EVERYBODY BUILDS) and then I'm going to experiment with pit traps. I look forward to it :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30853 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »

You attacked traders of your own civilization!?

You are going to have SO much ‼FUN‼ when those soldiers return from the field! :P

I too have been having a little bit of ‼FUN‼. A five-squad goblin siege showed up and I ordered my archers up to an overlook to fire upon them as they entered the trap hallway. One of the elite marksdwarves was shot and killed (one-shot head-shot) by a goblin elemental mage spearman, who then set fire to that marksdwarf's son, who was in the same squad. He bled to death on the balcony, very near his father's corpse. The ranger squad's captain isn't so happy, because she was a sister of the dwarf who burned to death and watched both her father and older brother die on the balcony. All this after Ineth, the second-eldest son of the family, was killed by the yellow eyed terror. One of the dwarves I recruited to replace them was also a member of that family. It would appear that the goblin responsible for this escaped with his life. Some of the family members are tantrumming now...

The rest of the siege was either pincushioned by the archers, torn to shreds by the traps on the bridge, or is waiting in the bottom of the pit to be executed by firing squad. And the marksdwarves are just about to arrive...

Well, they're all dead now! Except that mace lord that hung out in the stairwell; she's in a cage.

[Edit]

I managed to capture the necromancer Ago after he bumbled into my trap bridge, down into the pit, and up the stairs into a waiting cage trap. Unfortunately, along the way he made way for an unfortunate series of events by raising a dog corpse which I failed to notice at the time. The dog corpse managed to kill a dwarf who was walking down the stairs, a very young planter named Kikrost, and then went up the stairs to eat a baby right out of his mother's arms, then chase the mother around the halls until she was caught and attacked, but rescued by two passing dwarves I very quickly drafted into a squad to save her.

After all this trauma, she was miserable and shortly began throwing tantrums. At some point, she passed by a child who had healing magic available, and was blessed with fearlessness. Then she went and murdered her best friend, a nurse in the local hospital whom I drafted into medical duty after he came of age not long ago. because why the hell not murder your one and only extra-family relation? Certainly no justice to be afraid of!

Yup. Another friend-of-a-grumpy-person bites the dust.

I guess the good news is I won't be having necromancer problems anymore, as long as I keep Ago locked up. He was the only surviving necromancer in the area, as the queen consort shows up on the deceased screen and nobody else ever came. No idea what killed the queen consort...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:51:37 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30854 on: September 14, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »

The last suspiciously hanging around trader turned into a warlock spy and set a fire (in my HOSPITAL :P), and then I had another fire of unknown origin so I went whatev, I'm not waiting to be ambushed by a whole crowd of them. Nothing bad has happened with my soldiers, but I didn't get very many of the "traders", so I'm just penning them out via fortification. And spike pits.
Pages: 1 ... 2055 2056 [2057] 2058 2059 ... 3842