Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2041 2042 [2043] 2044 2045 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095095 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30630 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:40 am »

My current world is also named The Dimensions of Soul

we are world brothers

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #30631 on: August 25, 2013, 12:35:09 pm »

Fortress is going slowly but steady forward. First large dome is quite ready as well smaller second bio dome. Still lots of work ahead. Also found third candy veil. Just not sure what use I have for such...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30632 on: August 25, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »

AAAAAA! Blind, flying cockroach FB with poisonous vapors has come! XD I was getting ready to colonize the first cavern layer and now I have two FBs on the first layer. The other is a huge rhinoceros beetle with a poisonous sting and a small trunk.

I wonder if the two FBs will fight each other? Probably not. At least I've got the marksdwarf kill platform ready and was stocking it when the FB arrived.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30633 on: August 25, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

Abhorrent slush raining down upon my dwarves, they instantly become bruised everywhere, I wonder if one will go blind...

Telim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30634 on: August 25, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

just got a huge 'WTF?' moment:

looked at the bottom of the screen to the announcements and read there:

"Urist McMiner has grown attached to a huge cave spider"

so in complete shock i open the announcements just to read: "Urist McMiner has grown attached to a huge cave spider silk hat"

:)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:06:13 pm by Telim »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30635 on: August 25, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »

just got a huge 'WTF?' moment:

looked at the bottom of the screen to the announcements and read there:

"Urist McMiner has grown attached to a huge cave spider"

so in complete shock i open the announcements just to read: "Urist McMiner has grown attached to a huge cave spider silk hat"

:)

Same here, though in a different way. The human caravan got attacked by an ambush right after appearing on the map and fled, okay fine. However, after the dwarven caravan arrived, I saw a combat notice saying that a kangaroo buck attacked a water buffalo and somehow broke a caravan wagon. WTF!? :P I'll just use DFhacks autodump to move that broken wagon and contents to the atom smasher.....

In other news, I killed the cockroach FB which lamely only went up a z level and didn't try to go up to where the fortifications were. I wasn't able to kill the rhinoceros beetle FB, though I did do quite a bit of damage.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:56:54 pm by smjjames »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30636 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »

A FB blob composed of steam appeared in my fortress.
A blob of steam.
I love science.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #30637 on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:20 pm »

Aparently, dwarven rifles stolen from humans are NOT that good against humans, I shoot them tons of times in there steel armor and they procedulary murder my marks dwarfs

((evil humans))               
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30638 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45:02 pm »

My first dragon appeared! I was like 'OH SHIT!' when it appeared and despite it melting some cage traps and two dogs (I forbid the corpses), it got itself caged.

Also, a miner somehow fell through a hatch over a ramp (on his way to mining I guess....), hit the ground and broke his thumb. Yay workplace accidents! /sarcasm

Must have been painful as all heck because he went unconscious. One of my legendaries no less.... lol....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:59:30 pm by smjjames »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30639 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »

Have a bunch of goblins and their combat mounts sitting in a pit relatively full of water and not drowning.  (Pushed into pit by the Watergun emplacement.)

So I've left them there to sit and occasionally get killed when more goblins and mounts fall on their heads...

And I suddenly see combat logs appearing.

Two female cave bears that were mounts are giving birth to cubs.  Said cubs then immediately start fighting the goblins and other mounts.  They eventually die, but they're also slowly tearing all the other mounts and goblins to pieces.  Just saw a goblin pikeman stab a cub and hurt it pretty badly, but while that was happening another cub tore his foot off - and the goblin bled to death a little later.

Going to let the little terrors keep at it since it will save me having to drain the location out, unlock a number of doors and send a melee squad in to clean up.  And also have to deconstruct a wall since a drainage pump sucked a bunch of goblins and mounts through some fortifications and into a sump area.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30640 on: August 25, 2013, 10:36:37 pm »

That sounds exactly like the bug back in 40d where if siegers horses gave birth, the foals/colts started attacking the mother and siegers.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30641 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48:28 am »

Wallchance has survived the fourth forgotten beast attack!

The first was Vafice the web spitting three-eyed hawk, who managed to kill a mason and a clothier, but after an endless battle of web spitting, he finally succumbed to a copper bolt.
The second was Stozu who was... ummm something fleshy with a necrotic deadly dust, I only had four hammerdwarves and a marksdwarf squad so I sent them in, the battle ended with Stozu falling into the water and my militia commander slamming on top of Stozu. The casualties were my militia commander's,  her squadmate's and a weaponsmith's vision, the rotting was quickly taken care of with some upper lip surgery, except in the case of the squadmate's baby, who started getting into a pretty bad shape, I had to station them above ground to avoid the miasma, and then the goblins took pity and rescued him in a bag from death.
Here lies Stozu:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The third was Ngasmuk the hairy lobster with unkempt brass hair , and deadly blood, I imagine it terrorized dwarven barbers because the fight was remarkably short with a single hammerdwarf walking up to it and bashing in its head, though it did manage to tear a ranger's upper spine, who suffocated in result.

After that the fort was going on peacefully, with the occasional kobold thieves and goblin snatchers trying hard to cause ruckus, and rangers getting eaten by cave spiders, but then Ngokang has come!
It found a ranger first (rangers are the luckiest dwarves in my fort), so I let them fight for a time to determine how dangerous it is, my impression was that it only caused dizziness, while copper bolts could damage it. This was important, because I only have access to tetrahedrite ore, so copper and silver is what I can supply my army dwarves with. I sent in a mostly melee squad with a weapon of choice and a shield, backed up by a dedicated marksdwarf squad.
The forgotten beast seemed to have quite a variety of syndromes above dizziness, it caused fever and blisters too (they might be related, I don't know  :-\), what was interesting is that the silver blunt weapons just glanced off of it, while copper battle axes could fracture it. The battle was ended with a copper bolt severing the beast's lower body. Yay for uber crossbows!
Then the melee dwarves headed to the hospital, rested for a second, some of them were diagnosed, but they got better without medical intervention, while still being covered in forgotten beast extract, for some reason the militia captain didn't want to clean himself, even when off duty, the others did, but no further harm was done to him.
Do dwarves know when it's dangerous not to clean themselves?
Also one of the axedwarves got blinded in the battle, my dwarves either die without hope of being saved or go blind in this fort :(

necrish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30642 on: August 26, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

Just got this artifact with a ridiculously long description

I took him ages to haul all those gems

Photas

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature, fond of !!fun!! and Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #30643 on: August 26, 2013, 06:37:30 am »

These are some pages form the journal log of DatanUmid

The high king has choosen 7 dwarves to cunstruct a mighty fortress, capable of withstanding the mighty beasts that roam the land and sky. We have chosen a location on this map:

Our task is a hard one, but we are dwarves of Zuntir Ral and are afraid of no quest. Now we must go, onward dwarves!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st Granite, Year 1, Early Spring.

We have arived at Datanumid. The fields beside the mountain are covered with snow, but the air is cool, the snow will melt soon. Our party of seven miners will start digging in the side of the mountain. We will carve magnificent halls, corridors and rooms for a big population of dwarves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:20:50 am by Photas »
Photas cancels work. Distracted by Dwarf Fortress.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30644 on: August 26, 2013, 10:18:41 am »

Started a new fort...embarked on top of a 1x1 tile. Not a 1x1 area embark... I mean my wagon actually landed on a tiny 1x1 hill.

Taking advantage of the free quantum storage, I immediately channeled down two levels to get my whole wagon cluster of supplies normally carried by the wagon underground. This caused a peasant to fall down and land on a Water Buffalo and get the wind knocked out of him.

I was honestly expecting more carnage from having everything fall from the channel, but I'll take it. Makes me almost wish I was in an evil biome as I had everything underground in record time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:20:29 am by Pinstar »
Pages: 1 ... 2041 2042 [2043] 2044 2045 ... 3842