Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2036 2037 [2038] 2039 2040 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094619 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30555 on: August 18, 2013, 11:08:23 am »

I'm about 8 years in on my current fort.  I had found the caverns early on and bridged up the only entrance, as a flying FB was hanging out down there.  While digging a very deep execution shaft, I accidentally pierced the caverns in a second place.  The FB surged up into the adjacent stairwell and I stationed all my militia squads at the entrance to the base hoping for the best.  Then the FB disappeared.  I assume it just flew up and out into the sky or something.

I like to think I have unleashed a horrific one eyed terror upon the world.

I also caught a dragon by complete accident, and have it locked up in a seal off room.  I figure if fun happens, I'll just let the guy out and see what happens.

JustAVoice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30556 on: August 18, 2013, 05:12:53 pm »

Almost half my dwarves died of dehydration and now I only have children left. I may have a problem here...

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30557 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:11 pm »

I'm about 8 years in on my current fort.  I had found the caverns early on and bridged up the only entrance, as a flying FB was hanging out down there.  While digging a very deep execution shaft, I accidentally pierced the caverns in a second place.  The FB surged up into the adjacent stairwell and I stationed all my militia squads at the entrance to the base hoping for the best.  Then the FB disappeared.  I assume it just flew up and out into the sky or something.

I like to think I have unleashed a horrific one eyed terror upon the world.

I also caught a dragon by complete accident, and have it locked up in a seal off room.  I figure if fun happens, I'll just let the guy out and see what happens.

huh. I read "let the gay out and see what happens"

Hilarity either way. :D
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30558 on: August 18, 2013, 05:57:44 pm »

Year 27

I just noticed several dwarves and dogs seem to be in some sort of permanent sleeping coma, I think it must have been that boiling blood from the giant tarantula last year.

A pack of crundles clawed their way up from the 3rd cavern right into my cage traps, we will feed stray naked goblins to them.

The 6th floor of the stepped pyramid of solid gold is almost complete

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30559 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »

Rigothkilrud ("Craftbronze") 1st Limestone 141

The overseer insists on building in brick and clear glass.  We keep telling him that it will be faster to use the local stone and green glass, and he just nods his head in agreement and orders more brick and clear glass.  At the rate we're going it'll be another 15 years before we're done.

We've had a second wave of births in the fortress now that the first generation is working.  It brought our population to 21, which attracted the attention of a spiirt of some sort.  We couldn't be bothered to check because it afflicted one of our glassworkers, who was already legendary.  The spirit "inspired" our lass to make an animal trap out of green glass. Could have been worse, I suppose; but it could have been so much better.

edit: left year off the journal entry
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:32:13 pm by morlicar »

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30560 on: August 18, 2013, 09:26:20 pm »

The second goblin siege appeared mere weeks after the first one. I was forced to have the dwarves hide behind locked doors, because I have no military and they had more mounts in their army than I had dwarves and traps combined. It finally left as a dwarven caravan arrived. Five seconds later another, larger siege shows up, this time with the warleader and a mounted cavalry unit riding at least ten War Cave Dragons, among other things. They killed the merchants and set about destroying every outdoor furnishing I had except for a lone, useless farm plot, and the wagon I'd walled up for just such a reason.

So, I waited that one out, sent plunderers to seize the dead merchants' assets and the few goblins that had been taken out by caravan guards, got hit by an ambush, had a wave of mixed kobold thieves and goblin snatchers take off with an artifact boot and a child, a giant poisonous mite/savannah titan showed up and killed a few people before getting shot to death and dragged inside to feed my starving masses, and then...

Another siege. Goblins. Undead goblins, with a few dwarves as well. I am starting to think breaching the volcano and flooding the map with magma might just be something I will want to do often...
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30561 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »

I was looking around the fort status screen for no particular reason when I spot that there is this forgotten beast corpse, I had gotten no combat logs, no arrival message, nothing. I use DFhack reveal to see where it is, and it's near the edge by an amphibian man camp, so I save, make a copy, then abandon the copy and check legends. This FB, Ino, a towering three eyed silverfish was killed by *beat* an amphibian man (or woman rather) blowgunner in the early spring of 258 and it's the early spring of 258 right now in the fort.

My first forgotten beast and it gets killed by an amphibian woman, lame.....

Wish I had seen the combat logs to see just what the heck happened. Also, I haven't sent scouts to explore the caverns, which is probably why I didn't get any message.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30562 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:06 pm »

I've embarked with ym modded humans and so far so good. For some reason conglomerate is probably going to be our base building material, as due to my infinite stupidity we have no means of mass cutting wood.

We've hit hematite, so we'll have iron to make our halberds and great swords from, which is good, and we've trained the dogs for battle. They will likely be our main companion unlike other places that typically let me employ other nastier animals.

The river is infested with carp, but hopefully it won't be too big an issue...

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30563 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:06 pm »

The Thieves of Stutering from The Yelling Works are certainly living up to their name.

Because I embarked with no wood, some anthracite, some iron ore, crapton of seeds, and some animals.

Arrived to discover....the random 3-Urist stone I'd brought was Mica, and could not be made into a Smelter.

I feel like I should have been part of the OTHER Dwarven faction--The Dented Desk.

Summer Migrants just arrived. not a pick in sight.

*sighs*

at least this is forcing me to learn Masterwork's other buildings that don't require stone. But I can't do anything that needs ash.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:28:07 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #30564 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:09 am »

The Thieves of Stutering from The Yelling Works are certainly living up to their name.

Because I embarked with no wood, some anthracite, some iron ore, crapton of seeds, and some animals.

Arrived to discover....the random 3-Urist stone I'd brought was Mica, and could not be made into a Smelter.

I feel like I should have been part of the OTHER Dwarven faction--The Dented Desk.

Summer Migrants just arrived. not a pick in sight.

*sighs*

at least this is forcing me to learn Masterwork's other buildings that don't require stone. But I can't do anything that needs ash.

Just gotta survive til fall.  Fall caravan will bring at least one block, and you can go from there.  Just pick berries like an elf, and sell them some crap.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30565 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:23 am »

As I feel deeply for the loss of mothramavuz to hardrive failure and with it my elite bladesdorfs, I have founded Landroads, to be defended by dwarves  armed with daggers. The Colonel leads The Heavenly Blades, so called for their daggers made from metors. For now, they whear simple leather helms and impact armor to avoid training accidents supplemented by fur cloaks and hoods. Hopefully it'll last until we can begin proper ore harvesting, as we've discovered marble, raw wolfrmaite/tungsten, tetrahedrite, and gypsum.

Should the Carp cult rear it's ugly head we shall show it no mercy.

EDIT: The Wards we spent precious points on did their job and cleared a fellow named Tun od demonic possession and he now serves as the fort's assistant planter, butcher, and cook as well as a dabbling mason.

The Heavenly Blades have begun training. Rather aggressively at that, as Colonel Kikrost walked up from the main armory with his freshly forged dagger and whacked one of the summer migrant recruits with it, prompting a sparring session. Normally I only see this level of agressive training in humans.

I have also found hunting is most efficient with a soldier kept on standby to finish off the kill, which the hunter will bring back to the shops after the soldier finishes the target off. Kikrost decapitated two giant squirrels a gem setting huntsdorf knocked out, and that knife-user doesn't count as a military skill per se. Gonna be a bit before they become wrestlers and such.

A platinum depot, thanks to the presence of platinum veins, as been built as a show of wealth and the slag is being repurposed into heavy building materials, though we did build a guard tower out of marble.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30566 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:22 am »

still trying to find magma. the third cavern layer is a deep chasm with an underground lake at the bottom. it's also 100 z levels below the surface.

even if i find it i don't think i can use it very well.

KOBOLD AMBUSH!!!!!

they got past my trap line but not my war cave spiders.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:51:07 am by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30567 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:19 pm »

Flooded my fort while trying to make a well. Did you know that it's a bad idea to use a river as a source for a well? The dwarves that didn't drown ended up in a dry urist tube, with no food or booze, and no access to the surface or a single miner. In short, water falls, everyone dies.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30568 on: August 19, 2013, 12:34:23 pm »

Additional military and masonry recruits have arrived with a small horde of sprog in tow. Thankfully in masterwork kids grow up fast.

New Squads
The Copper Rods - Pikedwarves
The Steel Fangs - Swordsdwarves
The Knives of Domination - Daggerdwarves, named in honor of the Knives of Domination from Gemclod, though those ancient heroes were marksdwarves.

Construction of a solid marble wall is nearing completion and additional small towers have been added, and a water channel is being built with a system to allow it to flood the fortress and deny invaders the spoils of their conquest.

Landroads as whole is doing well, and as I type this a kid grows up to do some work.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #30569 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

After two months of game-time, numerous near-drownings, and tiresome de-suspending, the dwarves of Zanegushat managed to plug a room that had its wall breach into the main river crossing through the aboveground fortifications, thus saving the fort from flood death.

Now it is time to clean and de-mud the whole thing.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 2036 2037 [2038] 2039 2040 ... 3842