Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1993 1994 [1995] 1996 1997 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095777 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29910 on: July 02, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »

VerdantSF, it sounds like you have a great fort going on there. And RIP poor Edem II. From unlucky dwarf-dwarf who could barely kill anything, to being the key to discovering a serious bug, and on to being a mighty warrior and dragon tamer -- that definitely is a dwarf to remember. Did he have any kids? I hope they'll do him proud, if so.

How did you manage to breed dragons by the way? I'm over a year out of the DF-loop and don't have the energy at the moment to dive back into it, but wish I did. And when I do, I want war dragons too. ;)

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29911 on: July 02, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »

VerdantSF, it sounds like you have a great fort going on there. And RIP poor Edem II. From unlucky dwarf-dwarf who could barely kill anything, to being the key to discovering a serious bug, and on to being a mighty warrior and dragon tamer -- that definitely is a dwarf to remember. Did he have any kids? I hope they'll do him proud, if so.

How did you manage to breed dragons by the way? I'm over a year out of the DF-loop and don't have the energy at the moment to dive back into it, but wish I did. And when I do, I want war dragons too. ;)
Dragons dont breed outside world gen so you need to add the [CHILD] token. For war dragons add the [TRAINABLE_WAR] token.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29912 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »

VerdantSF, it sounds like you have a great fort going on there. And RIP poor Edem II. From unlucky dwarf-dwarf who could barely kill anything, to being the key to discovering a serious bug, and on to being a mighty warrior and dragon tamer -- that definitely is a dwarf to remember.

Thanks!  I used to rage quit when favorite dwarves died, which is why all my forts before this never made it past Year 10.  I wanted to try my best not to do that with my current fort, however, I was sorely tested when it happened to Edem II.  I was gutted when he was killed.  I stopped playing for a bit and had to go for a jog to clear my head.   I was absolutely not prepared for a forgotten beast that was able to kill so quickly.  That thing even took out Commander Sphalerite, THE best warrior in the entire fortress, almost instantly :(.

Did he have any kids? I hope they'll do him proud, if so.

Yup, though it was a tough road.  Unlike the other dwarves in the fortress, Edem II and his wife, Solon II, just couldn't seem to conceive.  Everyone was having babies left and right around them, and then a famine hit the fortress and Solon II had a miscarriage :(.  I completely overhauled food production so that this would NEVER happen again.  A year later, Edem III was born :).  Edem II's mother, Goden passed away recently.  She was the fort's first manager & broker.  His sister, Goden II, is still kicking butt and taking names in the military. She also happens to be Relicshield's first forgotten beast slayer.  The Claspletter family has always been a prominent one, so I expect big things from Edem III.

As Skyte mentioned, I added the [CHILD] tag.  However, dragons already come with [TRAINABLE_WAR] in the current version, so no changed needed for that.  For more details on the whole endeavor, I checked out the following thread:

Dragon Breeding Pair - Now What?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:01:08 pm by VerdantSF »

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29913 on: July 02, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »

Ahhh at last, the latest mood induced product of my fort!

Borlon Adol The Severity of Complexity, a fungiwood figurine that menaces with spikes of yada yada yada.

Off into the trash compactor it goes!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29914 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:29 pm »

So much vomit thanks to those stupid mummies. So much.

The Hydra was taken down via bisection of all things. Numerous badgerdogs and snakes, and even a screech-owl went after it. it took one of the many adders we have with it, but in the end Sergeant Hailsmiths struck it down with her now famed sword Gethust Izeg.

I've also decided the next kid to come of age is going to be devoted to making quality arms, with the junk ones being sent to the mountain home as offerings to entice others to come.

On a semi-related note, I have a large number of gray languars, should I make them trainable and have them supplement the badgerdogs?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29915 on: July 02, 2013, 08:34:36 pm »

The Hydra was taken down via bisection of all things.

Hydras are pretty big!  What weapon was used?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29916 on: July 02, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »

The Hydra was taken down via bisection of all things.

Hydras are pretty big!  What weapon was used?

[...]In the end Sergeant Hailsmiths struck it down with her now famed sword Gethust Izeg.

Obok took it down with her iron short sword. How I have no idea but the report stated

"The Sergeant slashes the hydra in the lower body with the reverse edge of her Gethust Izeg and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29917 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

Well done, Obok!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29918 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

Well done, Obok!

Well done indeed. Her current crop of swordsdwarves is also doing amazingly well. Last death was due to infection and not being tended to by any of the medical staff.

Speaking of which, aside from the recently admitted worker from the mummy attack, we had no patients for a few months.

Also it seems one of the Sergeants is making some fancy wood trinket. Guess the museum of worthless artifacts will be getting a new addition!

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29919 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »

Well the useless giant mole rat that wandered from the caves into a cage trap just fell in battle fighting the equally useless giant cave rat. I was really hoping they would tear down the goblins in the pit but no, apparently they were just happy with staring contests.

I was so distraught at their lack of enthusiasm that the bridges of the pit were activated, crushing the giant rat, the goblins and the mole corpse into a fine paste.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29920 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:17 pm »

The dwarves of Swordgleams aka The Banner of Cremations have returned from the now cleared jungle back to the Mountainhome of the Metal of Assemblies.

A new scouting unit, the Urn of Incinerating, has been sent out to establish a new outpost.  The selected location will be called "Relicblaze".

Seven dwarves, some animals, and a wagonload of equipment have arrived to find a flat featureless snow-covered plain.  Trees spot the frozen landscape and ice near the wagon indicates a frozen stream lies to the north.

(The location is in the northern part of the world and is a cold shrubland biome.  Flat, with a stream and a scattering of ponds.  Initial prospecting indicates both sand and fire clay will be readily available.  There is no aquifer, so the stream or a cavern will have to be tapped for a water supply.  There should be some metal ore (probably tetrahedrite) and flux stone below.)

And we look forward to seeing if Swordgleams veterans tire of the security of the Mountainhomes and choose to emigrate to a new frontier.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29921 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:57 pm »

What happened to Swordgleams?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29922 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »

NobleFort at Quakeswalled is still busy. MigrantFort at Quakeswallowed is still dead.

Autumn is coming, and I'll need to meet the liason to get more migrants. So I plan to make a better exit for the NobleFort so it can access the main world directly. Then I'll send the Axe Lords through the front door of MigrantFort to clear out a patch of trolls in growing in the dining room over there.

If possible, I'd like to have my stills online before that time. One room for Prickle Berrys -> Wine, One room for Rope Reed -> Spirits, and One room for PigTails -> Ale. That should make my militia happy for the upcoming assault.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29923 on: July 02, 2013, 11:20:11 pm »

Starting a fort on the border between normal mountains and an evil forest full of dead staring eyeballs and dead wormy tendrils.

The fortress of Duskrulers, founded by the Cruelties of Obscurity for the Civilization of The Nude Corruption, has been established in the side of a small mountain surrounded by the evil Jungle of Suicides. A basic fort has been carved out, with enough space and supplies for the recent summer migrant wave. There currently isn't a farm, which could be a bit of a problem in the future, but at the moment booze and food supplies are stable, and a nearby brook could provide water in case of emergencies.

in terms of danger, the Jungle of suicide is about average. There's undead and reanimation but being built in a non-animating mountainside we can butcher without fear of accidents, and the local clouds do nothing more than make a dwarf slightly numb and tingly, . No husks, which is good. 4 volunteers, 2 from the founding party, 2 from the migrant wave, have been armed with rock warhammers and suited in rock breastplates, helms, and boots in case of undead needing to be smashed.

The worst undead attack was a wave of 3 harpies early on which killed a badgerdog and a frill lizard, and one zombified mass of black human fingers generated from the random monster generator (that has a name  I can't recall now) managed to break one of the founding hammerer's legs. they're now resting in a bedroom until we can get  a medical dwarf appointed to haphazardly fix it.

Population is at 15 now, with 70 prepared meals and 50 servings of booze. Doing good, and the zombies are an interesting change of pace.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29924 on: July 02, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 131, Winter of 315 (Year 64)

Mosus II Anguishedpages was blessed by Armok, producing Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace!  Duke Phyllite bestowed the weapon upon Dishmab Vesselbrain, the first legendary macedwarf of the fortress and current 2nd place in notable kills.

Meanwhile, another forgotten beast received a warm welcome from the dragon hatchlings guarding the second cavern's entrance :D.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1993 1994 [1995] 1996 1997 ... 3842