Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095557 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29880 on: July 01, 2013, 04:55:46 pm »

Are they as bad as keas?  If so, *shudder*.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29881 on: July 01, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »

Well at present they're being a general disruption, killed several fighting animals, and murdered someone's pet bat. To cut of their escape routes I've had to lock one in the mayor's dining room and the other in Baron Ber's bedroom.

Also, they apparently are big ass flightless cave keas because one is trying to steal a pair of the Baron's old pants and another stole a kid's lunch.

bllius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29882 on: July 01, 2013, 09:07:03 pm »

One of my valiant swordsdorfs, taking note of the suicidal war dogs who were guarding the magma forges and the furnace operators and metalsmiths below, who had given of themselves in a fight to the death with the Forgotton Beast Reksas who had managed to squeeze through some unknown crack from the underworld below by repeatedly biting and denting the shell, had come up behind the ongoing fight. Channeling the frenzy of the wolf, Olin had latched on firmly to said FB with his teeth, but was shaken free.

This seems to have knocked Olin out of his frenzy. Recognizing that he was not a dog, but still not drawing his might sword,  Olin unleashes the mightiest of punches with his iron clad fist into the back of the FB's body, bruising the muscle and bruising the brain.

Shaking himself off, Olin climbs the 50 or so levels to the surface to join his comrades who were busy fending the fortress off from a siege of vicious goblins, who had chased off a caravan of merchants from the nearby mountain-homes.

However, breaching the surface, Olin found that there was nothing to do. The champion Adil had already added to his kill count of 22 by putting to death several gobbos. This after having dodged off a stone bridges to fall several levels to the ice stream below, whereupon he had to climb back up to finish the fight.

There will be no rejoicing this night. Several new recruits, not yet trained in the arts of war, had fallen to gobbo swords as had one of the pair of Giant War Jaguars who had been guarding the entrance and several war dogs.

A dorf should not live to bury his child.

Much dwarven beer will be raised in remembrance.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29883 on: July 01, 2013, 10:30:14 pm »

Nothing much has happened in Fortressbowel, the elf caravan came and failed to bring any animals suitable for starting a war animal breeding program. The necropolis continues to expand, with 3x3 tombs with engraved walls for every dwarf man, woman and child/baby.

Maybe I should have made a crutch shaped necropolis given that is the symbol of our civilization.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29884 on: July 01, 2013, 10:32:38 pm »

Got a visiting Hill titan! Goody goody gumdrops, it also breaths fucking fire.

Sigh. Obok, don't fuck this up by letting your shield catch fire or something.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29885 on: July 01, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »

Maybe I should have made a crutch shaped necropolis given that is the symbol of our civilization.

That's a great idea!  I might borrow it and create a necropolis shaped like wheat :).

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29886 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:26 pm »

I once had a civilization whose symbol was a coffin. By the time we recovered from the tantrum spiral and we're wiped out by an ambush we had over 300 coffins

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29887 on: July 02, 2013, 12:28:43 am »

Hmm. It appears that between the firebirds which melted the main gate and the forgotten beast which Obok slew with great dispatch, I have a forest fire running rampant broken up only by my roads.

The firebirds were probably not such a well thought out purchase.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29888 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:14 am »

Relicshield, pop. 132, Summer of 315 (Year 64)

Several children came of age this year, including Nish Roughwhips, daughter of Meng the dragon trainer.  It was no surprise that she decided to follow her father's footsteps.  Surely a blessing from Armok, another dragon emerged from the wilds soon after! 

The Dragon Slusa Ongongxosna has come!  A gigantic reptilian creature.  It is magical and can breath fire.  These monsters can live for thousands of years.

The dragon was lured into the trade tunnels, but a meddling goblin snatcher distracted it.  The snatcher was caught in a cage trap, while the dragon stopped directly in front of another trap.  The beast just stared at the captured goblin and refused to come further.  The newly promoted Commander, Olivine Scalygranite tried to lure the beast closer, but the beast paid her no heed.  Finally, the marksdwarf Litast Twinkledurns volunteered.  Armed with the artifact chestnut crossbow, "Mountaindeclined the Heroic Evaporation," he took up position then shot a single bolt at the dragon.  Slusa immediately turned from the caged goblin to attack, immediately setting off the next cage trap.

The youngest adult dragon in the fortress at 76 years of age, Slusa took easily to dragon trainer Meng's instructions, becoming expertly trained in a single session.  With the initial training out of the way, Nish took over as trainer for the Mountainhome's newest dragon.  With a second male in the dragon pit, the fortress could breath easier when committing the 500 year old Istrath to battle.

Meanwhile, in the caverns three forgotten beasts arrived in quick succession.  After the terrible losses inflicted by Engror, the fortress was on alert.

The Forgotten Beast Oson Tostrasmaspest has come!  A gigantic beakless swan.  It has a pair of spindly antennae and it has a gaunt appearance.  Its pale pink feathers are patchy.  Beware its deadly spittle!

The Forgotten Beast Leto has come!  A huge one-eyed swift.  It has two short horns and it squirms and fidgets.  Its teal feathers are long and sparse.  Beware its poisonous vapors!

The Forgotten Beast Utes has come!  A towering three-eyed ankylosaurid.  It has thin wings of stretched skin and it belches and croaks.  Its indigo scales are large and close-set.  Beware its webs!

Oson slipped past the cave-in trap due to a terrible oversight with hatches :-[.  Luckily the beast was far weaker than Engror.  Oson was quickly surrounded by the squad on cavern duty and slain by the axedwarf Mosus Graniteright.

Leto was more of a challenge.  By this point, several dragon hatchlings had been brought to the cavern entrance and placed behind fortifications.  However, the forgotten beast's poisonous vapors seemed to confound the dragons. They refused to breathe fire and did their best to keep their distance.  Perhaps Leto understood the potential for dragonfire, so it kept its distance, too. Luckily the stare-off had Leto positioned directly under the cave-in trap and the creature's fate was sealed.

The little dragons of Relicshield had no such qualms when facing Utes.  Once the winged ankylosaurid came within range, the hatchlings let loose with jets of flame.  Not even a corpse was left when the smoke dissipated.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2557-forgottenbeastvsdragonhatchlings

This is a well-crafted gabbro memorial to Utes. 
The slab reads "In memory of Utes / Melted in The Rampage of the forgotten beast Utes in Relicshield in the year 315".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:06:46 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29889 on: July 02, 2013, 01:07:26 am »

And now a siege of more beak wolves! Yay! Shame they arrived on the other side of the river. Would have been fun watching those idiots charge through a fire and bleed to death.

Anyways, overall property damage: Entire wood and bag shipment destroyed, one dead firebird, a portion of the inner protective surface fort burnt down, 2/3s of the map's greenery incinerated, muliple cages lost in their traps, a section of road, the depot, a gate, and the mechanism for it being melted into siltstone puddles.

On the upside, we did get a swanky new iridium depot out of it less prone to melting.

EDIT: FB melted by dragon hatchlings. Yes. All my yes.

EDIT II: In an utter flash of retardation I set my remaining firebird up to deal with the  onslaught. Most of the road network that the first few fortress inhabitants spent two months on was melted in a day.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29890 on: July 02, 2013, 01:27:17 am »

EDIT: FB melted by dragon hatchlings. Yes. All my yes.

If only dragonfire had worked as quickly on the earlier FB made of glass!

EDIT II: In an utter flash of retardation I set my remaining firebird up to deal with the  onslaught. Most of the road network that the first few fortress inhabitants spent two months on was melted in a day.

D'oh!  Do firebirds breathe fire or is it just a fire aura?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29891 on: July 02, 2013, 01:34:18 am »

D'oh!  Do firebirds breathe fire or is it just a fire aura?

They do in fact breath fire. Hence the destroyed depot when the one who accidently melted itself (as they are unable to survive being accidently'd by other bird or it was the warpstone turret) when it shot a wayward forest imp.

Speaking of which, the other has become known as Portalpaper, unofficially as beakwolf roaster and road melter, as it destroyed even more of the road and routed half the siege including their war leader and nurglite monsters when she incinerated two entire squads.

EDIT: Well, Obok's squad mopped the enemy up in less than an in-game day and we're left with a mess of stupid POW's cluttering up the place. To the death pit with ye!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29892 on: July 02, 2013, 02:03:31 am »

Dewboy Lanterngaze, one of the newest soldiers of Relicshield, engaged in a bit of live training with the goblin snatchers who almost thwarted the capture of Relicshield's third wild dragon.  Even armed and fighting three-on-one, the goblins were no match for Dewboy and his silver mace.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2558-dewboyvssnatchers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They do in fact breath fire. Hence the destroyed depot when the one who accidently melted itself (as they are unable to survive being accidently'd by other bird or it was the warpstone turret) when it shot a wayward forest imp.

Such a cool mod!  How well do the firebirds do in melee combat?  How big are they?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:06:07 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29893 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:06 am »

A mummy attack has left a dwarf crippled and an impromptu rifle squad assembled from the dwarves nearby to kill it as a hydra arrives. Obok's team has been notified; let the heads roll.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29894 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:50 am »

I don't even know which mod that is. Is it still Masterwork?
Pages: 1 ... 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 ... 3842