Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095338 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29850 on: June 30, 2013, 11:25:13 am »

On a related note, the hatchlings were born Skillfully Trained and one training session bumped them up to fully tame :).  It's too bad that full domestication is currently bugged.  Imagine dragons available at embark!  Though... the cost might be a bit up there ;).

For more awesomeness (maybe): once you have fully tamed dragons breeding, could a later fort in that world request them from a caravan?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29851 on: June 30, 2013, 11:27:27 am »

Unfortunately, no.  That's the bug.  While you can tame the dragons individually, Civilization knowledge for wild creatures is capped at Expert :(.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29852 on: June 30, 2013, 11:55:36 am »

I don't know if it's a bug so much as Toady not yet getting around to making events in your fortress (such as domesticating new species or gathering and processing a resource your civilization didn't previously have access to) affect the state of the civ after the abandonment of your fortress and into the birth of new fortresses. It seems that he's moving in that direction now, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29853 on: June 30, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

Weedsmokes is under siege from the first cavern level. Antmen, they sure are persistent. Still having yet to breach it the Dwarves decided to wait it out. Little to our knowledge that a legendary battle was about to take place.

The legendary beast Cuthabe Uthimilacei appeared! Feet from the siege leader and his squad. A giant snake composed of filth and grime it has a box shell and poison breath. They quickly engage each other in battle, the beast seemingly content to let the ants pound on it with their rusty weapons and breath poisonous explosions. Eventually the ants managed to behead it, but the damage has been done. They are all poisoned. And this is a terrible poison. The ants all lie down, vomiting, eventually melting into ichor and leaving behind their equipment in pools of themselves. I'm glad my Dwarves didn't have to face that!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29854 on: June 30, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 133, Spring of 313 (Year 62)

Right at the close of the previous year, the enemies of the fortress attacked both above and below.  While the Evils of Spray laid siege on the surface, a frigid horror entered the second cavern.

The Forgotten Beast Uthgur has come!  An enormous quadruped composed of snow.  It has wings and it squirms and fidgets.

Goden II Claspletter, an experienced Forgotten Beast slayer, kept the monster busy while her captain readied the perfect blow.  With a mighty shield slam, Dishmab Vesselbrain the Holy Winnower of Fortresses broke the creature apart!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Near the surface, Commander Sphalerite led the charge against the goblin siege, with Edem II and his dragon Istrath close behind. 

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2556-istrathswrath

With the rise of Relicshield's dragons, the world entered a Third Age of Myth.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:58:31 pm by VerdantSF »

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29855 on: June 30, 2013, 02:27:15 pm »

Is there a way to find out what a secretive dwarf wants? I had 2 good craftsman go crazy because when i hover over them they have no indicators of what they want.  :'(

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29856 on: June 30, 2013, 02:42:23 pm »

Is there a way to find out what a secretive dwarf wants? I had 2 good craftsman go crazy because when i hover over them they have no indicators of what they want.  :'(

If they're not saying anything and they're not in a workshop, chances are the workshop that they need hasn't been built yet.  Make sure you have at least one workshop/furnace for each of the moodable skills:

Bowyer's workshop
Carpenter's workshop
Clothier's shop
Craftsdwarf's workshop
Glass furnace (or Magma glass furnace)
Jeweler's workshop
Leather works
Mason's workshop
Mechanic's workshop
Metalsmith's forge (or Magma forge)

I had the same thing happen and it turned out that I didn't have a glass furnace.  If all else fails, you can use DFHack's showmood command.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:44:00 pm by VerdantSF »

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29857 on: June 30, 2013, 02:45:45 pm »

If they're not saying anything and they're not in a workshop, chances are the workshop that they need hasn't been built yet.  Make sure you have at least one workshop/furnace for each of the moodable skills:

Bowyer's workshop
Carpenter's workshop
Clothier's shop
Craftsdwarf's workshop
Glass furnace (or Magma glass furnace)
Jeweler's workshop
Leather works
Mason's workshop
Mechanic's workshop
Metalsmith's forge (or Magma forge)

In my case they claim a crafts workshop(so alrdy had one) and become "secretive".
They grab a few items and then get stuck like normal moods, but i have no hints of what they need.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29858 on: June 30, 2013, 03:07:01 pm »

In my case they claim a crafts workshop(so alrdy had one) and become "secretive".
They grab a few items and then get stuck like normal moods, but i have no hints of what they need.

Check the workshops menu via "q" near the top it should say something like "Urist McMoody" Screams/mutters "item" If this doesn't help check the wiki. Its the go-to place for any problems you have

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29859 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00:13 pm »

Well the ambushes consisted of a combination of giant blight bats, giant toads, and marksgoblins who (thankfully) blew through all their ammo picking on the human caravan guards or were just flat out crappy shots.

Our Battle Broker proved to be a terrifying opponent and a bane of Blight Bats everywhere with most of the pack being killed via decapitation with an artifact morningstar. After the skirmish that was mostly against animals that had been abandoned by their riders, I realized we missed the chance to kill the goblin overlord, which is no fair. Stupid goblins and their self preservation instinct...

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29860 on: June 30, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »

Quick question. Should I use obsidian swords or Iron ones? Is there anyway to improve Obsidian swords sharpness?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29861 on: June 30, 2013, 04:09:55 pm »

Give them the same stats as glass? Obsidian is volcanic glass after all and so far glass swords make a handy stopgap until you have something better.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29862 on: June 30, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »

Well I just discovered the big project I have been working on was all for nothing, because turns out trees can only be planted above ground.

All the flooding, all the mud and horror.
All for naught.

Well I guess in five seasons I can have steel though :P
Once you breach the caverns you'll find cavern trees growing in all soil layers and muddied tiles.

True story. Crack those caverns and stay the course!

But those cavern trees can't be made into steel bars, which I desperately need (insane amount of iron, no FLUX.)
Playing MasterWork by the way :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29863 on: June 30, 2013, 04:15:16 pm »

Quick question. Should I use obsidian swords or Iron ones? Is there anyway to improve Obsidian swords sharpness?

Unmodded, silver swords are probably superior to obsidian. In my experience, obsidian 'swords' are actually rolling pins and fare about as well as training swords.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29864 on: June 30, 2013, 04:17:14 pm »

Check the workshops menu via "q" near the top it should say something like "Urist McMoody" Screams/mutters "item" If this doesn't help check the wiki. Its the go-to place for any problems you have

You were right, i was using v instead of q. What a stupid way to lose good craftsdwarfs.
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 3842