Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095356 times)

ZeroMcUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29835 on: June 29, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »

This is ABOUT to happen, does that count?
(Big Image)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is absolutely no way this could go wrong.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29836 on: June 29, 2013, 03:27:15 pm »

Overseer of HoneyThunders Log; Obsidian:

Multiple carpenters have complained of the buzzards, even though they aren't predatory animals. Fears cited are "They look scary", "It's eating that corpse! Then it's gonna eat me!", and "Hurrrrrr.....". I swear, I picked the most incompetent ponies for the job. Progress on individual housing units is progressing slowly due to worker idiocy. On another note, we're running out of winter cabbage seeds. We've also exhausted our celery supplies. Our only hope now is that the zebra caravan will come bearing seeds for food.

-Ingot ThunderFlowers, Overseer of Honeythunders
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29837 on: June 29, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »

A king snake of all things got a name, as did a hunting giant cave swallow, Boardclenched and Constructivebolted respectively. However they accidentally waded through some plague goo left behind by the massacred bearers so they'll probably be dead soon.

The speargolem more or less broke the back of the siege alone, only getting dents here and there, with the damned animals being kill stealing jerks.

An FB composed of amber as also crawled up the main stairwell and run into one of the new migrants, a member of Obok's squad. Sadly he got stung and may not be long for this world. A pair of animals, the sworsdwarf's pet armored mastiff and someone else's pet drake are fighting valiantly to protect him as he's just passed out from a broken foot. our manager is also being mauled by a beakwolf that got across the river the old fashioned way.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29838 on: June 29, 2013, 08:38:51 pm »

After the death-by-tantrum of my last fort, I've built SteelHold on a volcano (heh heh). This is my first fort with easily accessible magma. May SteelHold Live Long!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29839 on: June 29, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »

After the death-by-tantrum of my last fort, I've built SteelHold on a volcano (heh heh). This is my first fort with easily accessible magma. May SteelHold Live Long!!!!

So, instead of death-by-tantrum, you're intending for death-by-magma?  Excellent. Very dwarfy. 8)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #29840 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Well I just discovered the big project I have been working on was all for nothing, because turns out trees can only be planted above ground.

All the flooding, all the mud and horror.
All for naught.

Well I guess in five seasons I can have steel though :P
Once you breach the caverns you'll find cavern trees growing in all soil layers and muddied tiles.

True story. Crack those caverns and stay the course!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29841 on: June 29, 2013, 11:11:45 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 135, Autumn of 312 (Year 61)

The duchy's dragon breeding program has succeeded!  After one egg that failed to hatch after a full year, a second clutch was laid in the Summer.  By Autumn, the fortress welcomed 2 more dragons!

Work continued on the largest cavern security wall to date, this one covering an area 28 across and 38 levels high. With so much attention on the dragon breeding program and the cavern walls, the odd mumblings of the brewer Tulon Dippertowers were overlooked.  He went beserk near the farm complex, which recently merged with the kindergarten.  Tulon charged at Mosus III Anguishedpages, the first 3rd generation citizen of Relicshield.  He struck her twice before the axedwarf Vucar Graniteright struck him down.  Not the sharpest tool in the shed, having named his axe "The Pale Hammer," Vucar has still managed to be a reliable fighter. 

Duke Phyllite has urged all citizens to please report any strange activity at once and to stay vigilant even in the midst of large projects!   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:12:14 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29842 on: June 30, 2013, 12:31:14 am »

Well, I have learned something.

1. Never EVER let unbooted/shoed/socked dwarves near plague bearer fluids. They just claimed our giant cave swallow.
2. Even having a bunch of copper, bronze, and steel wailing on something sufficiently large enough made of amber will not be able to bring said amber entity down, merely render it a damage sponge until someone manages to remove its head (which nobody has managed yet.)

EDIT: The siege was broken, the vast majority of it by a combination of just a few cage traps (something to the order of a dozen or so,) Timetongs the mighty brass death robot with a spear for a hand, and the FB Abslul was killed when, after tons of hammering on it by multiple soldiers, miners, and two animals, someone's pet armored mastiff managed to snap its head off.

Obok also has learned to love her kite shield it seems, due to an accidental equipment hiccup when I assigned her her personal sword to make sure she always had it. While not named, the part of the siege she and one of her recruits broke was literally broken. With a wood shield being smashed into it repeatedly. Pretty sure she was waiting on it to be rebinned since technically it wasn't just an iron sword anymore, it was a new item that happened to be an iron sword. Either way, the siege was broken, and aside from a badgerdog and the giant cave bird, nobody was killed as far as I know.

Edit II: And now the local goblin overlord has decided to lead an attack in the summer caravan season. Probably won't be able to trade with the humans but with luck we'll kill another bigshot.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29843 on: June 30, 2013, 02:40:13 am »

After much debate between Duke Phyllite and Meng Roughwhips the Dragon Trainer, Relicshield fielded a dragon in battle for the first time!  Edem II volunteered to be the dragon's battlemaster and led mighty Istrath forth.  The Evils of Spray received their first taste of dragon fire and soon fled!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2555-dragonfireinthemiddleoffriendlies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29844 on: June 30, 2013, 03:00:55 am »

That was a marvel to behold, even in the simplistic graphics.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29845 on: June 30, 2013, 04:59:20 am »

Imagine the look on the trolls' faces then that dragon came crashing around the corner, the size of a cat. Before spewing dragonfire all over the  area.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29846 on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:36 am »

The first Islander challenge fort started out successfully. No aquifer, despite status screen having been stating the opposite, lively FPS on an extended embark zone, gentle waves come and go. We have secured a mostly above-ground operation base and currently enjoy everything we need in abundance.

And then, out of nowhere, these guys migrate in. Just spawn at the SW edge of the island and dash for my booze. What? The whole point behind me spending hours to make this embark was to prevent any external influence whatsoever by stranding myself on a scrap of land surrounded by a dozen tiles of 7/7 water from all sides. It is called an Island for a reason!

A caravan just came in. This is unfair!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29847 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:24 am »

Imagine the look on the trolls' faces then that dragon came crashing around the corner, the size of a cat. Before spewing dragonfire all over the  area.

That wasn't a hatchling.  That was the oldest dragon in my fortress, the 500 year old daddy :D.  Smoke covered the visuals, but Istrath struck down two of the trolls in straight up melee.

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29848 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:10 am »

I wants me a dragon brood!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29849 on: June 30, 2013, 11:14:42 am »

Yeah, they're quite fun!  I could've started a lot earlier, but I was originally determined to get nether cap logs for dragon turrets.  I'm a stickler for securing each cavern before going deeper, but the second cavern was taking too long to wall up.  I tested dragonfire in the midst of dwarven friendlies way back when, so I decided to just go for it.

Friendly (dragon) fire

On a related note, the hatchlings were born Skillfully Trained and one training session bumped them up to fully tame :).  It's too bad that full domestication is currently bugged.  Imagine dragons available at embark!  Though... the cost might be a bit up there ;).

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:17:11 am by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 3842