Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094810 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29790 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »

Appearedmenacing has just had the worst werebeast attack ever.

It was a werewolf animal armorer....

The really bad part?

All its teeth got knocked out on the first strike.

So no immortal regenerating superdwarves for me....just a lot of bodies......
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29791 on: June 26, 2013, 12:25:03 pm »

Its highly unlikely all of its teeth were knocked out, impossible in one strike. Keep watch on the injured.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29792 on: June 26, 2013, 12:55:42 pm »

Its highly unlikely all of its teeth were knocked out, impossible in one strike. Keep watch on the injured.

No it isn't. could be a mod-related injury, if the mod causes the game to see the jaw as interconnected to the teeth, like the shoulder bone and the arm bone in vanilla, a hit could, theoretically, jam the jaw so hard that it shatters the teeth. Thus, no teeth.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29793 on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »

Goblin ambush before the year was out!  The glacier is awash with gore!  :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29794 on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:14 pm »

No it isn't. could be a mod-related injury, if the mod causes the game to see the jaw as interconnected to the teeth, like the shoulder bone and the arm bone in vanilla, a hit could, theoretically, jam the jaw so hard that it shatters the teeth. Thus, no teeth.
Although teeth are now in rows, each row is separate. You'd have to damage all of the rows with enough force to knock them out. You currently can't do this, much in the same way that you can't break multiple fingers in one go or smash the wrist through multiple fingers.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29795 on: June 26, 2013, 01:40:20 pm »

Although teeth are now in rows, each row is separate. You'd have to damage all of the rows with enough force to knock them out. You currently can't do this, much in the same way that you can't break multiple fingers in one go or smash the wrist through multiple fingers.

True, but it is doable if you have the modding ability. If the vanilla game creates bones which interact with eachother, then the modders could increase the number of interconnections, increasing difficulty, realism, and !!FUN!!
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29796 on: June 26, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

In less than a month Sgt. Hailsmith has whipped two new arrivals into fighting shape. The population stands at 89 now, and an influx of those with weaving skill has resulted in a large number of silk collectors down in the second cavern layer, which I again say, even in these simplistic graphics, looks fucking beautiful.

Among the new arrivals was a guy who knew how to set broken bones unlike the others, who I assume just rebroke everything to get them to look sort-of right and then just tied a splint on them. There was also a large number of dorfs who spent time fishing, so we have a large contingent of them now, some of which are now in our mace and hammer squads, and one of which is one of Sgt. Hailsmith's new underlings.

Some aesthetic work was finished this spring as well, and additional traps for catching cavern critters were lain. Fully expecting spiders to get some of the weavers though, which is fine since they were all poof'd into existence and have no friends or family to speak of. Speaking of which, a fisherdwarf just threw a kobold in one of our well channels.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29797 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:39 pm »

IA NASHONOM! IA NASHANOM!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FLY MY SWINE!

YOURS IS A WORTHY CAAAAUUUSE

DON'T FORGET TO TELL THE GODS WE NEED MORE BOOZE

Sacrifice results: Worthy.

Last time there was a giant billowing fire cloud so I couldn't tell what killed the pigs, the fall or the magma. Turns out it's the fall!
The Dwarves were in need of booze, with alcohol stocks running precariously low due to prolonged siege. After focusing all auxiliary and military labour on the distilleries, alcohol stocks have risen by 3000 units - an offering was required to appreciate this sudden aversion of sobriety. That and a rampaging FB was slain three times.

The RNGods are listening.
A bloody boar's head was thrown out from beneath the sea wailing and whistling as it was reclaimed by the fires of the Mountains.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29798 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:07 pm »

Animal sacrifice. Truly dorfy in the manner it was done.

It appears these fisherdwarves are not to be trifled with, as they will exact harsh vengeance on those who interrupt their leisure activity. With broken bones and drunken hatred of all things furry and kleptomanic. Ironclad mastiffs respond similarly, by biting the head from said thief's shoulders and running away with it like a tennis ball.

Stupid kill-stealing mutt...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29799 on: June 26, 2013, 04:49:55 pm »

Eh, don't know if it was in one strike, just know that by the time I looked at its stats (pretty damn soon after *uristmcfuckyou turned into werebeast* msg) it had the description its teeth are gone

But anyway, crisis averted....followed by a second crisis of "everyone is vomiting constantly....mostly into our water supply"
Yeah at that point I just started cheating like crazy. DFhacked the clean all reaction about 400000 times, and also discovered the "fast dwarf" reaction....which I abused for an entire game year.....don't judge me....seeing them move so fast is hypnotic....

And I now found out that Steeloak farming needs actual farm plots.

On a glacier.

Well time to do something with that vomit water.....

Oh and did I mention the strange mood guy?
Made a goblet. A orichalcum goblet. That menaces with spikes of that chest I dug up and didn't get to the archeologist on time.
Yeah.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:53:16 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29800 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:41 pm »

Another dark strangler assault has come! This time lead by the erm... "fearsome" strangler Agutud. Well, it just so happens we recently got some recruits who have yet to be blooded, so this is quite the opprotunity! Not only that, but should the swarm get past my soldiers, the elvish caravan guards, a speargolem, and a small horde of angry badgerdogs along with a giant cave swallow, numerous rattlesnakes, screech owls, and the miners will be on tap to smash the remains that get by.

Ah, killing an enemy leader is oh so sweet.

Soldiers of the Axe of Autumn, Defenders of The Cursedmine, TO ARMS!

EDIT: Well we won, one of the new guys killed the war leader just before it escaped as its soldiers were massacred around it. the swordsdwarves (6 dorfs) took on the war leader's group while the mace and hammer dwarves (another 7 dorfs.) Just as the stranglers' seige was declared broken and over, a siege of frogmen, a squad of macefrogs lead by a pikefrog riding a pegasus of all things showed up. the swordsdwarves met them just south of the main river crossing, and while it was a victory, both newbies were injured (Udil the war leader killer got both his arms broken and the other, Unib, got her entire right arm broke up to the shoulder.) But we won with no fatalities.

There was a baby that got thrown during the battle that didn't seem at all upset by that development and even punched a strangler in the gut, though all it did was make it angry until mom came and split its skull with her mace.

Soldiers of the Axe of Autumn, you may stand down. The Cursedmine yet remains uncollapsed.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29801 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:43 pm »

Over eighty dwarves and I've yet to find any metal. Now, to be fair, I'm not looking incredibly hard and constantly digging down and out as I live on a secluded continent with no goblin fortresses or civs I'm at war with, which means no invasion threat. Just occasional mission impossible snatchers from the mainland.

I'm pretty nooby and didn't know how to stock a hospital properly until I needed it stocked. My dwarves aren't making lye or soap for some reason despite me having the tallow I need and my military sucks, aside of my three mass of well-trained marksdwarves. Since the snatchers came, erected cage traps, planning to build a rock salt wall around the perimeter. Legendary dining hall erected. I'll dig further into the earth once I've got the outside world secured from would-be assault.

TOO MANY BABIES BEING BORN. Two died, tragically. Babies of the dwarves in hospital beds that will likely die of infection as my dwarves refuse to make soap like I'm telling them to. First-ever artifact created, a leather hood that talks about the creator settling in my fortress. For some reason, booze is not being made. There are apparently no places to put the booze, no matter how many barrels I make. Perhaps someone is stealing them. The vampire has killed two so far, not sure who it is. My first guess was incorrect as she was injured and went to go sleep, which Vampires do not do, I don't think. Will keep testing anyway by locking her in a room for a month and seeing if she gets hungry. Surprisingly, the fortress is apparently good enough that my dwarves are not constantly bitching about the lack of alcohol.

I'm a bit timid about digging deeper. If I breach a cavern with a dysfunctional military that lacks metal, it might very well be over. Also going to build a prison for the maggots my cage traps will inevitably ensnare. Once I get more engineering experience, I will make them fight one another for the glory of being shot down by my marksdwarves.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29802 on: June 26, 2013, 05:42:31 pm »

My fortress's residents must have been tipped off to my diabolical plans, as they have all but 4 chosen to marry for love and not science, before the experimental apparatus was ready.

Their sedition will not be successful.

Effective immediately, all defective children unsuitable to the experiment will be atom smashed in secret, then slabbed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29803 on: June 26, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »

Cursedmine's first Inkhorne fawn was born in the wake of multiple kobold-related incidents that ended with dead kobolds. I've also found we have at least three soldiers/workers hospitalized at any given time. Strange. Maybe I need to make traction benches and whatnot...

Anyway, among what the elves brought were firebirds, forest gryphons, and best of all, raptors! I can't wait to build a raptor pen next to my death pit.

I have never wanted rain so badly as I am now, as my map is starting to look like a big puddle of vital fluids with trees poking out. Clean up is a pain and rotting vermin aren't making things any easier.

Also, taking all suggestions on what I should build out of earthenware bricks, because I plan on importing ridiculous amounts of clay for absolutely no reason otherwise.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29804 on: June 26, 2013, 07:06:45 pm »

Cursedmine's first Inkhorne fawn was born in the wake of multiple kobold-related incidents that ended with dead kobolds. I've also found we have at least three soldiers/workers hospitalized at any given time. Strange. Maybe I need to make traction benches and whatnot...

Anyway, among what the elves brought were firebirds, forest gryphons, and best of all, raptors! I can't wait to build a raptor pen next to my death pit.

I have never wanted rain so badly as I am now, as my map is starting to look like a big puddle of vital fluids with trees poking out. Clean up is a pain and rotting vermin aren't making things any easier.

Also, taking all suggestions on what I should build out of earthenware bricks, because I plan on importing ridiculous amounts of clay for absolutely no reason otherwise.

You could just use the "clean all" command in dfhack....I mean yeah its technically cheating, but its only aesthetic cheating :P

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 ... 3842