Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094621 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29760 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »

I've never seen the elves bring shell-bearing animals with them.  Shell moods are way too limiting when it comes to biomes imho, so I mod other hard animal bodyparts as a replacement.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29761 on: June 24, 2013, 07:26:16 pm »

I've never seen the elves bring shell-bearing animals with them.  Shell moods are way too limiting when it comes to biomes imho, so I mod other hard animal bodyparts as a replacement.
I just made a shell-producing reaction that makes a stone into a shell at the craftsdwarfs workshop. Uses stonecrafting, and so long as it is not abused, is nicely balanced.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29762 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:32 pm »

Farewell Reptile Man Elekem (Paleinches), slayer of 3 forgotten beasts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #29763 on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:15 pm »

First goblin ambush! All my dwarves are dead. I had eighteen or nineteen before, now two remain. I suck at new militaries, though I guess the system isn't exactly new at this point.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29764 on: June 24, 2013, 07:36:21 pm »

First goblin ambush! All my dwarves are dead. I had eighteen or nineteen before, now two remain. I suck at new militaries, though I guess the system isn't exactly new at this point.
First goblin ambush at 16 Dwarves? How many weapons did you have? How many casualties did you inflict?
You might not be able to kill all the goblins, but you can certainly inflict enough damage that you get them to flee.
But then again, I bring marksdwarves on embark. ALWAYS ASSUME YOU WILL BE SIEGED FROM THE MOMENT OF EMBARK.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29765 on: June 24, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »

Well, my first necro ambush has occured.

A few goblin snatchers preceded it, and were summarily executed by my small but legendary militia. 2 axelords, 2 spearmasters, 2 skilled/expert macedwarves, and 2 marksdwarves are all the fort needs... for now.

Anyways, the first necro was detected soon after the 3rd goblin was put down in a spray of ²'s (thank you, axelords) and as I gave the order to dump the bits into the volcano, they reanimated! A passing dwarf saw the first necromancer giggling and gesturing outside the gates, and the militia bum-rushed him, neatly bisecting him. These parts were also tossed into the volcano, but not before the hidden necromancer (or several) thought it would be funny to keep resurrecting goblin and human arms and hands on the gate, right next to the milita.

No wounds were suffered by the fort, and all the bits have been dumped. The necromancer(s) remaining in hiding have apparently thought better of invading, and left for now.

Oh, and my fort now has a great self-destruct "button". Just need an engraver or miner to punch though a wall, and the whole fort will flood with the blood of the earth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep. The volcano will drain right into the main fortress proper, and keep filling it until there is nothing left but magma.

And as soon as I post this, and unpause the game, a necro decides to jump into my cage traps. Excellent. His knowledge of the secrets of life and death and immortality will be of much more use here than in his tower.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:10:01 pm by Lich180 »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29766 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:04 am »

Well, it was randomly generated, without using the advanced parameters. Also, It's a pocket sized world because...
;_;

So I guess I will just upload whole world, not just it parameters.
There is a way!
Go into your save folder and make a copy of your fort. Abandon this copy (only the copy! We wouldn't want to lose the actual fort) and go into legends mode. There should be a command to export parameters or something like that. Do it.
Now, in the data folder of DF, there should be 3 more files. One of them contains the embark parameters.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29767 on: June 25, 2013, 02:19:58 am »

Relicshield, pop. 137, Spring of 305 (Year 54)

A population boom caught the fortress by surprise.  While babies were being born left and right, food supplies dwindled due to poor preparation (stepped away for a LONG time and didn't adjust workflow).  Edem II and Solon II had been trying for years to have a baby.  Unfortunately, the food shortage caused Solon II to have a miscarriage :(. The dwarves of Relicshield were never as overjoyed to see the elves as they were this Spring.  The timely caravan brought much needed food, preventing starvation and the widespread riots which could have resulted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:49:40 am by VerdantSF »

schoeggu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29768 on: June 25, 2013, 03:47:16 am »

A vampire queen just arrived.
She has 18,000 kills. I guess that's pretty much since she is only 92 Years old.
She killed more than 14,000 dwarves in a place called Bridgedheaven.

Don't know whether I should lock her up, or just let her feast on my dwarves. ;)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29769 on: June 25, 2013, 03:50:21 am »

I do like the one notable kill.
Everyone enjoys a good dessert, I suppose...

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29770 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:47 am »

I embarked on a female Roc nest, made a field of cage traps that failed. Tried again and failed. Made it bigger and failed. Edited the Raw for cats so they make webs and stuck one on a rope in the field. Finally worked.

Long story short, I now have a female Roc and 8 Ravens that go into the trap field.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29771 on: June 25, 2013, 06:16:12 am »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wk2pal0kolw56j/Bez%C2%A0tytu%C5%82u.jpg

That was random, beatiful and incredibly sad all at the same time.

edit : can't into dropbox, sorry

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29772 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:35 am »

What are you?

And I'm pretty certain you're an avatar of Nurgle.

DF never ceases to surprise and unnerve me.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29773 on: June 25, 2013, 11:06:01 am »

3rd year.  All is going well in Glazeactions. We have 3 children...and 21 babies. Our militia is steadily growing and composed of mostly women that are quick to anger. A bit redundant I know, but still. Our glassmaker just created a beautiful artifact earring last month. Suddenly 3 Necromancers show up with 180+ Undead slaves. There were no survivors.

Now I'm heading to the tower with an adventurer for a bit of revenge.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29774 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:29 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 141, Spring of 306 (Year 55)

After the famine of 304, food production was overhauled.  Rock nut paste, usually processed into oil and press cake, was used as a quick stop gap measure to fill the larders once the food from the elf caravan ran out.  The duchy's cooks also began to experiment with other seeds as ingredients for lavish meals.  Tallow, once used primarily for soap, found a place in the kitchen again, as well.  Before long, a healthy surplus was regained.  On New Year's Eve 305, Solon II and Edem II welcomed Edem III into the world :D.

(Actually 1 day old, but since he was born in 305, DF states 1 year)   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:54:04 pm by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 3842