Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095017 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28815 on: April 19, 2013, 02:58:09 am »

I'm waiting for Diplomat McBadarse to show up again. He took a ballista bolt to the somewhere, lived, and punched a badger's brains out on his way home.
I hate to tell you this, but significant figures cease to exist once they leave your fortress. Diplomat McBadarse never made it home...
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28816 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:00 am »

So, decided to check out the local civs. Turns out my King is a...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would it be too unreasonable to expect similar awesomeness to this?
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28817 on: April 19, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »

Yes, that would be unreasonable.

No greenskin could ever match the awesome of a post-elven warlord with a hammer and a grudge against the people who murdered his lover.

I do like "The Dike of Whips," though. What an interesting name they chose for themselves. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28818 on: April 19, 2013, 02:42:09 pm »

Yes well, while my civ might SOUND like a lesbian into bdsm, I googled it and sadly its nothing that fun:

Dike may reffer to:
A natural or artificial slope or wall to regulate water levels, called levee in American English
A ditch, a water filled drainage trench
A regional term for a dry stone wall
Dike (geology), a subvertical sheet-like intrusion of magma or sediment
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:43:47 pm by Em3rgency »
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28819 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:20 pm »

I managed to create an unbelievably tame creature. I used the deer entry as a base and went from there, with [PET] and [BENIGN] among other modifications, making them exclusively desert-dwelling and milk-able. I ended up with... Something that even if wild will walk right up to your dwarves willingly, without interrupting them. The only conflicts I've had occurred when they entered the same tile as a dwarf. I've never seen a creature so bizarrely benign. I've set up exactly two cage traps at one of the entrances to my new fortress' compound, and they've just been hanging out there, wandering into the cage traps which dwarves happily replace, rarely with any interruption. I think an avala industry is in order. That's a lot of animals to process, though.

Avala cheese and sausage for all!

I also hacked off most of my embark items to make points for lesser dragons, which my civ has access to for whatever reason. Turns out I got two breeding pairs; the two I bought, and the two that came as my wagon pullers. I butchered one of the males who was unfit for breeding. Soon I'll have a breeding pen set up for them.

Lesser dragon and turkey eggs for all!

There are also several honey bee colonies about.

Honey and mead for all!

Unfortunately I'll have to focus on military and defense from early on, because we will have many enemies.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28820 on: April 19, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »

2 forgotten beast related accidents in the same week...*sigh

forgotten beast #1, giant tick with poisonous gas managed to get through my cave-in trap because i was busy monitoring the pitting of zombies and transferring of necromancers (which proved extremely fun this one time, since they wave at the corpses when passing the refuse pile).

I sent my military of 13 marksdwarves total to take care of it, and they managed to kill it fairly easily. the beast fell the the ground and could not advance into melee after being peppered with bolts, but hurled it's noxious gas at my army. Soon my army was crippled, even though they managed to kill it, most of them fell conscious with a fever and numbness in the right arm, quickly filling up my 1-bed hospital. My mayor was amongst them too, since he was also the militia commander (though he isnt the strongest fighter i have). 1 Whole week of dwarven labor from several dwarves wasted since they were awaiting diagnoses, but didnt have any apparent injuries at all.

forgotten beast #2, giant humanoid made of mud, coincidentally also having poisonous gas. This time i was ready, i was gonna monitor my cave-in trap until its dead. Everything went well except when i ordered my dwarves to pull the wall-in lever of the trap. Looking at the trap i saw that the outpost liason, for some stupid reason, decided to go into the trap's hallway. The forgotten beast fought with the liason and managed to rot his whole body with the syndrome, even knocking him unconscious, but the liason eventually managed to punch the beast to death when he finally came to. So now i have a miasma spewing, but still alive diplomat following my mayor around and spreading miasma everywhere.

oh and this one soldier is also miserable and close to tantrumming due to lack of trousers for his military uniform, so hes pantless. I quickly made some masterwork bone greaves and ordered my military to wear that (note: i already have full coverage of the legs with steel high boots and mail shirts, and greaves are quite heavy, so i use bone and leather armor for some parts of my marksdwarves squads' gear). The miasma spewing diplomat sent him over the edge, but he surprisingly calmed down instantly (presumably because i gave him the greaves a while ago, but hes still sad for some reason).

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28821 on: April 20, 2013, 12:31:10 am »

2 forgotten beast related accidents in the same week...*sigh

Same here, I got attacked by a one with deadly dust though.
I positioned my firing squad behind fortifications ready to pin him down but since he was made of black bronze, only my metallic bolts managed to show some stopping power. He managed to stagger towards the fortifications, so I sent my cavalry to deal with him. He was down in no time...BUT he released a nice cloud of deadly dust affecting both the squads. Next thing I know almost every 20 of them are rotting and puking. My whole hospital area and hallway is filled with miasma and with a tint of green. I can't even see whats going on in my hospital all I know is my medic is running around diagnosing and removing rotten tissue...Oh the Humanity!!I mean dwarfity...There goes my legendaries...

On the same note, Can anybody tell me whether disease resistance affects the said dwarf's chance survive or even resist FB poison/dust/breath?

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28822 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:02 am »

Epic siege! I just had about 120 goblins appear. They likely lust after my 1-million-dorfbuck... dog-bone sword...

I barely got out alive. One of my doors to the outside had crud in it and couldn't be closed. I sent my 40 militia-men there, and a crazy battle ensued. But it was obvious they wouldn't make it, so I had them retreat and closed the door behind them, sacrificing a few dwarfs in the process.

Then the army rushed my trap corridor, but I only had 3 weapon traps, unfortunately, which all got jammed with mutilated goblin corpses. So I forbid that and started to build new traps. My plan was to have them go in again once the new traps were done, but in the mean-time, trolls had broken through one of my doors, so I sent my army back there...

Troll blood all over the hallway, god. Luckily the goblins didn't come with them so I didn't get bum-rushed by whatever was left of their army, but the goblins were coming, so I quickly tried to secure that hallway. Luckily I finished securing it in time, but it seemed like a lot of the goblin army had either already died or left. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the stragglers.

Only lost 21 militiamen and a few children in the process! Time to enlist some more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28823 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:48 am »

I managed to create an unbelievably tame creature. ...
Other players are content to create creatures that will telepathically tear dwarves limb from limb at a distance of 20 tiles.  You make creatures so badass and horrible that you blow out the variable and it becomes more cuddly and harmless than a puppycalfkittensealcub.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28824 on: April 20, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

I'm waiting for Diplomat McBadarse to show up again. He took a ballista bolt to the somewhere, lived, and punched a badger's brains out on his way home.

I hate to tell you this, but significant figures cease to exist once they leave your fortress. Diplomat McBadarse never made it home...

No longer true, changed in recent versions. Your abandon dwarves come back, adventurers join the fort, etc. Historical figures are now persistent.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28825 on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »

On the same note, Can anybody tell me whether disease resistance affects the said dwarf's chance survive or even resist FB poison/dust/breath?
your pretty screwed, theres no way to resist rot. Should have used a trap like the one in my sig.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28826 on: April 20, 2013, 03:38:28 pm »

I managed to create an unbelievably tame creature. ...
Other players are content to create creatures that will telepathically tear dwarves limb from limb at a distance of 20 tiles.  You make creatures so badass and horrible that you blow out the variable and it becomes more cuddly and harmless than a puppycalfkittensealcub.

Well, I went back in their raws and noticed I actually added [VIEWRANGE:0] at some point. So I'm guessing that's why they're friendly to dwarves unless they wind up on the same tile; they don't know the dwarves are there, and the dwarves don't care if the avalai are there as long as they aren't aggressive towards them. Or something. I have no idea why I have the viewrange token in there in the first place. Probably some arena test or something to get them to hold still for me. I also wouldn't have realized that if I didn't go through their raws for that fortress, because in adventure mode they still run away from me as normal.

That fortress was abandoned again anyway. Currently adventuring on that world and back to Impaledwomen as my fortress. All is well, there. Only a couple kobold thieves to cause trouble, and I got a fourth glass artifact with associated legendary glassmaker. They've all been women so far, too, which is an odd coincidence.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:41:15 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28827 on: April 20, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »

I managed to create an unbelievably tame creature. I used the deer entry as a base and went from there, with [PET] and [BENIGN] among other modifications, making them exclusively desert-dwelling and milk-able. I ended up with... Something that even if wild will walk right up to your dwarves willingly, without interrupting them. The only conflicts I've had occurred when they entered the same tile as a dwarf. I've never seen a creature so bizarrely benign. I've set up exactly two cage traps at one of the entrances to my new fortress' compound, and they've just been hanging out there, wandering into the cage traps which dwarves happily replace, rarely with any interruption. I think an avala industry is in order. That's a lot of animals to process, though.
You should keep the viewrange token and add it to some giant monstrosity that is absolutely benign until it gets spooked by a Dwarf trying to walk across its head. Like a wild roaming landmine.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28828 on: April 20, 2013, 06:43:08 pm »

Year 3 underway in Carnagegalley.  The river benignly flows by to the south.

The fort is well-established at this point and things have gone pretty well once the miners and masons got through the aquifer.  The nobles offices, dining hall, hospital, and a large 48-room residence hall have been carved out in a marble layer, smoothed, and engraved.  The aquifer was tapped for a nice waterfall flowing down by the dining hall entrance.  And a diversion from this filled the cistern beneath the dining room, allowing a nice well to be installed as well.  Green glass tables and chairs for fifty-four dwarves fill most of the hall.  Most hatches and doors in the fortress are also green glass as well.

(Note: An early migrant was a veteran of the previous fort.  Legendary glassmaker and legendary engraver.  He has been busy.)

The soil levels are heavily tunneled for barracks space, archery ranges, access tunnels, and a trap-zone for intruders.  Most of this has been paved or floored to prevent unsightly moss growth.

The keep around the fortress entrance was completed.  Two levels with the crennelated roof level as well.  Not occupied yet.  The perimeter wall entrance bastion and gatehouse are still under construction.

However, the courtyard is currently nothing but burnt twigs and ashes.  A hill titan named Etile Ethithiwara Conibo Mame came to visit -- A large flying flatworm, but beware his fire.  He by-passed the Keep after flying over the wall and went to work breaking into a couple of small rooms holding watch animals.  A duck was incinerated, and the fire spread and swept the whole area. 

While this was happening a migrant wave arrived and snuck in through the lower level access tunnels.  The migrants included a few more veteran militia from the previous fort (a spearmaster and an axemaster).  They got some of my limited supply of armor and weapons and joined the squads waiting for the fires to die out or the titan to actually enter the fortress itself.

The fires damped out while the titan pounded away at a grate.  A squad of five experienced melee dwarves sortied out the Keep Gate and looped around the long way to get close without getting in the titan's sight.  They then rushed the titan hoping to minimize casualties.

And it was pretty tame.  The recently arrived spearmaster stabbed it a few times for minor wounds and drew it into the open.  The titan tossed two fire balls that were easily dodged by the axe dwarf, and then a mace dwarf brained it with a morningstar.   The corpse was dragged to the butcher for processing and everyone went out to do repairs and find new locations for the livestock. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28829 on: April 20, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »

Hell has just been unleashed upon Impaledwomen.

My vampire mayor, a weaponsmtih by trade, has been struck by a fey mood. Not wanting to lose the opportunity to get an artifact pointy stick and replacement for the twins Catten & Catten, I let her out. She's on her way to the forges now, and hopefully she'll only kill some useless cunt nobody cares about before I get her locked up again.

Speaking of killing, there has been some amount of such going on lately. A legendary armor-smith opted to haul a caged ambusher to the appropriate stockpile, and ended up getting shot by another ambusher. He then stumbled onto one of the empty cage traps before passing out. Shortly thereafter a kobold snuck in and stabbed him right in the head. Not long after that, a trapper who had been sent to pit one of the berserk dragonmen, specifically the named female, got set on fire by her after tossing her in the hole and burned to death on the spot. Nobody ever figured out what happened to him, but someone did claim and haul off the remains of his clothes.

On top of all this, I've been butchering all the captured wild animals that can be trained decently except the armadillos.

Also, pig cheese. Lots of pig cheese.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 3842