Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1918 1919 [1920] 1921 1922 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095273 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28785 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:10 pm »

Yeah, I wonder why they freeze like that?
After hammerstrikes or ordinary beatings (by the unarmed sheriff, so not even a normal dwarf would be too seriously injured) vampires always seem to freeze for a couple months. Gives ya time to wall them in or trap them or whatever, but why is it?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tamsyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28786 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:45 pm »

putting up gold statues all over nourishedcobalt, and decided to check a few of them, see what they were of... turns out, the statue that is just out the stairs leading to the noble section that houses the mayor, hammerer, baron, champion, and captain of the guard... is of a hamster,
There is a 1159(Weight Unit) Hamster to represent the Dwarf nobility.

I find this endlessly amusing, and hope I can get more golden hamsters to decorate this wing of the noble's floor.

That is funny, but keep in mind that hamsters are hateable vermin, so there may be dwarves who aren't quite so amused, if you care about that sort of thing.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28787 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

putting up gold statues all over nourishedcobalt, and decided to check a few of them, see what they were of... turns out, the statue that is just out the stairs leading to the noble section that houses the mayor, hammerer, baron, champion, and captain of the guard... is of a hamster,
There is a 1159(Weight Unit) Hamster to represent the Dwarf nobility.

I find this endlessly amusing, and hope I can get more golden hamsters to decorate this wing of the noble's floor.

That is funny, but keep in mind that hamsters are hateable vermin, so there may be dwarves who aren't quite so amused, if you care about that sort of thing.

If my nobles hate giant golden hamsters, they deserve to be unhappy.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28788 on: April 17, 2013, 08:42:15 am »

Well since this necro siege seems to be content to sit and wait for my fort to starve to death (which it won't, I have a massive booze and plant stockpile) I've begun constructing cage traps and atom smashers to rid the surface of infestation.

Keep getting interrupted with spammed announcements about ambushes of kobolds and goblins, who only add to the numbers of zombies roaming the world.

Apparently kobolds get pretty hardcore when they get zombified, a few of them have even been named.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28789 on: April 17, 2013, 10:12:41 am »

i've never had an undead siege, did you embark next to a dark tower or did you get attacked?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28790 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »

Well to start I spent a few hours playing with advanced world gen to get a world I liked, and I chose a site on a sinister swamp (indadvertently next to a good swamp) that has humans, dwarves, goblins, and 3 necromancer towers nearby. So yeah, I purposefully embarked near them, just so there is a bit more interesting things happening at once.

The evil side of the map constantly rains elven blood, which is odd because this world has never seen an elf before (no good forests generated), and likes to send undead ravens and buzzards at my fort constantly.

Currently under siege by all three towers, one tower has access to these execrable mist zombies, covered in the mist that zombified them, the other two towers seems to just send generic undead. Its getting a little out of hand, since the goblins and kobolds keep sending ambush squads that get detected and torn to shreds by the roaming horde of zombies. The necromancers seem to have left for now, unfortunately. I want to catch one or more for some little projects I've been wanting to try.

Working on getting armor and bolts made for the civilian population (we are holding steady at 27, pop cap is set to 15, with 10 children allowed), with 4 full time hammerdwarves clad in home-forged steel. Copper and gold are abundant as well, and since I brought 100 bitumnous coal with me I've got coke coming out of my ears. Got a few crossbows forged already, just waiting on armor to protect the fleshy bits of my dwarves before they climb on top of the makeshift roof and rain down bolts of vengeance on the undead.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28791 on: April 17, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »

In search of more exotic lumber and wildlife, I embarked on a savage moist tropical broadleaf forest adjacent to two savage tropical oceans.  The exotic things my hunters are bringing in are delighting my cooks.  This place has so many trees you can barely get a wagon through the forest to my trade depot.  So I've decided to imitate Isengard.  I've created dedicated woodchoppers and woodburners and set up four wood furnaces underground, turning the jungle into charcoal for my forges and ash for my soapworks.  I've never had a wood-based fort before where I could forge and melt stuff willy-nilly as if I had magma.  Next goal: clear glass production.  I'll expand operations as more immigrants arrive.  My goal is to make this fort an elf's worst nightmare.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28792 on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »

This is a superior quality Leather Bin (kapok) <#1>.  It is decorated with exceptionally worked elephant bone.  This object menaces with spikes of exceptionally worked blue peafowl bone and exceptionally worked bushmaster bone. 
On the item is a masterfully designed  image of a gizzard stone in python bone by Zulban Legonathel. 

I like the lyrical quality of that last line " ... image of a gizzard stone in python bone ... "

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28793 on: April 17, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »

I like how its described as a leather bin (kapok)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28794 on: April 17, 2013, 02:37:42 pm »

I like how its described as a leather bin (kapok)

That simply means that it's a wooden bin made from Kapok, that is currently storing leather.
Similar to how a Lead bin would be Leather Bin (Lead)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28795 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:01 pm »

I just learned something wonderful. If an elf merchant goes berserk, you get to keep all their stuff.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28796 on: April 17, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »

my fortress saw the arrival of a hill titan, a "giant feathered leech with wings, beware of its web".....lost 6 of my 10 dorfs militia, but i killed it, maybe i just got lucky or it was because of my mix of swords and crossbow, in fact, i didnt even finished to produce the rest of the steel armor i had planned to produce....but if i can take down this titan, a minotaur is no problem (gosh i can sell all those effing crafts now...)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:38:08 pm by xaritscin »

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28797 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »

Got ambushed by goblins, didn't have any military worth mentioning, ordered everyone inside and battened down the hatches. So the goblins spend a couple of months outside in the cold and rain. Then a dragon, of all things, shows up! Goblins charge it, dragon charges back, 3 breaths later, deep fried goblin! Dragon took some hits from the bolts though.

Again, couple of months later, zombie siege! Now THAT was amazing to watch! Of course all the zombies charge the dragon from all sides (they spawned all over the edges of the map), dragon keeps running around willy-nilly breathing fire on everything. I look up at the unit list for the necromancers, find 2, zoom to them, both are in pools of water! O.o I did not know the game was that smart. I keep observing the necromancers, sure enough, they keep darting from water to water only, resurrecting anything they see. Meanwhile, the zombies trigger another ambush. So now there is a GOD DAMN three-way as all the parties are hostile to each other. I break out the popcorn. Goblins put on a good fight, but get overpowered. Meanwhile the dragon eventually catches both necromancers (serpent men) out in the opening, and once the source is gone, the rest of the zombies get cooked. Dragon did take a beating though. Plus all his fat is gone from every body part. I'm guessing it melted in its own firebreath heat. (DAMN I love this game).

Dragon chills around for another 6 months, I get a migrant wave. Because there is no entry into my fort, due to the mother f-ing dragon, they just stand on the edge, while the dragon rushes in. One migrant manages to get a bolt off before all the migrants are roasted. The dragon has trouble breathing! I hope it suffocates. That would make it SO awesome, all my problems would've solved themselves.

All the gray areas are ashes due to dragons fire breathing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28798 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:53 pm »

my dwarves have elected a third vampire as Mayor... in a row.

I think i've hit a science point here.

Vampires have awesome social skills and are awesome liars, so they are especially effective at getting themselves elected mayor. Its a good way to catch them though.

Also they have huge lists of relatives, old group affiliations and are very old.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28799 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »

All the gray areas are ashes due to dragons fire breathing.

That's a hell of a lot of fun!

You should produce a cage trap and capture that dragon. Drag it inside and toss it in some sealed off room in the ass end of nowhere, with a drawbridge, the lowering end facing into the dragon's new room, to seal it via lever. In the event something goes horribly wrong you can unleash your dragon for one F-you to the world. In the event you capture a female... Give them the CHILD:x tag and let them have all the babies they can handle!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1918 1919 [1920] 1921 1922 ... 3842