Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124100 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28035 on: March 01, 2013, 10:03:39 am »

A magma crab is constantly being caught in bursts of steam, and spamming my combat logs with reports. Quite annoying, and can't do a thing about it.

Finally, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the herd grows, my fort becomes more well defended. A marble spire shall pierce the heavens, and be guarded by bronze and elephants.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:05:21 am by Lich180 »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28036 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:20 am »

First day of Spring.
The storms have ended. The filthy goblins haven't given up, in spite of the cold, the hunger and the thirst.
Strand extraction has begun. Silver minecarts are being constructed. Our fearless leader expects us to kill the invaders, and we will prevail!

22nd of Granite.
Discouraged by the smell of the decaying bodies of their comrades, the goblins have run.
Crawl back to the gutter from whence you came, scum!

First day of autumn.
In the name of Armok! Why would I be sieged by humans?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:43:03 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28037 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:18 pm »

Following my recent siege, where a human caravan got caught in the crossfire between my fort and the goblins, I seem to have adopted a pair of human guards.

When I first found them inside my fortress I thought they'd just taken shelter and would be leaving soon, but now it's been a season and they're still around, and even visiting my food stockpiles from time to time, not sure when I agreed to feed them... Not sure what I'm to do, I mean, I could kill them... probably should... but every time I try to they just look lost and use their puppy-eyes on me, and I just can't bring myself to it. Has anyone else had an "adoption"-situation like this? Did they ever leave?

The fact that the human caravan got a beating worked out fine though, didn't loose a single dwarf in the siege, killed a LOT of goblins (= lots of goblinite) AND to top it all off I could loot the wagons that the humans left behind (one season later, and my dwarves are still collecting stuff, all my stockpiles are full). So I guess that having to take care of a pair of humans is a trade-off I can live with.

Edit: Huh, scratch that, seems that there are three humans, two guards and a law-giver. That might explain their presence, being guards for the law-giver or something. Still odd that he won't leave though, seeing as he concluded his meeting with my mayor about the same time as the siege ended.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:36:56 pm by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #28038 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:07 pm »

I just barely finished my legendary Dining hall!

But than my dumb miner got diggermortis and started to dig randomly and flooded my Dining hall any sugestions???
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28039 on: March 01, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »

I just barely finished my legendary Dining hall!

But than my dumb miner got diggermortis and started to dig randomly and flooded my Dining hall any sugestions???

How big is the flow where the leak is coming from? Is it exhaustible (i.e. not a river/ocean etc)?

If so, I'd advice you to dig a "drain" (stairs) to lead the water downwards, quickly, and at the end of that drain mine out large reservoirs to take the surplus water. That saved me when I got an overflowing well, but that was a source of water I could control (only happened because I forgot to close the floodgates), so there wasn't THAT much water.

Otherwise I have no idea how to handle it, except perhaps from trying to wall it in, which might be tricky if the water is flowing in fast. Maybe a combination of drain (to slow it down) and walls would do the trick? And remember that locked doors functions as cheap floodgates, has been a life saver for me when I've experienced flooding (at least for my miners, to let them have an escape route once the reservoirs are mined).
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28040 on: March 01, 2013, 05:27:05 pm »

I have successfully made cavern layer two a prison for stuff I don't like.
It can only be entered by a 9 z-level drop.
My first test subject broke his arms and legs and continues to crawl around in the mud.

Success!

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28041 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »

After playing dozens of forts I finally played a fort until FUN (that I didn't cause)!  In the past I have killed off a fort or two by creating an enormous well above my dining hall and insta-drowning everyone but this time I stuck it out, that is until a necromancer (which I had never seen before) showed up and undead barn owls and dogs destroyed everything.  Dear god do we need pulping!

Made a successful fort in part by breaching the cavern layer early and making big pastures in the dirt layers.  Survived long enough to see my chicks and poults mature (again, a first for me).

Total blast!  I think I am done with remaking my forts over and over after a few seasons.  Bring it on FUN!  (Okay, maybe no more necros...)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28042 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:34 pm »

The earth has been struck at Amberfrost. It's a 3x3 map so my FPS doesn't die, with a volcano, haematite, native gold, tetrahedrite, and, according to dfhack's prospect, a reasonable supply of cassiterite deeper down.

I almost lost the fort to a mini-tantrum spiral, when one of my hammerdwarves tried to take on a giant jumping spider. He hacked off a few legs (I hadn't made any hammers at this stage, so he was using an axe) before being mauled to death.
A miner, who was friends with the deceased (and pretty much everyone else, actually), killed herself by jumping into the volcano.
The other miner was vaporised when he dug out my below-ground magma forges.

I had to recruit more miners from the (pitifully small) migrant waves. Now I don't have enough dwarves to do anything. My mason is planting, my planter is smelting, my broker is broke... ing? Breaking?. (Dammit, tantrums.)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28043 on: March 01, 2013, 08:45:19 pm »

It is now spring of the second year, and Thundertraded has been overrun by migrants. The population has gone from 14 to 50, which means a mayor may be elected this year.

Ultimately, I did not attempt to brew all the plump helmets, and I've realised the "bunker" design for the fort is going to interfere with expansion of the fortress in the sedimentary layers. I haven't found the aquifer yet, so I'm getting concerned about the lack of water. I did build a dungeon, however, which will serve as the base of a tower on the surface.

The good news is we now have a lot more dwarves to build the wall now, along with a clothier to make us some bags, and a stonecrafter to make us some pots.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28044 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »

I've decided to construct a massive marble tower suspended above the volcano caldera. This gives me a good spot to be protected somewhat while building, and just looks cool. If I can manage it, I may drain the magma into a reservoir (or the outside of the map, who knows) and build downward, while letting the volcano fill up from below, and encase my tower with magma.

Hopefully I have enough marble to do at least the above ground part.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28045 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:14 pm »

Due to a bug, I think, I have been getting migrants from my old fort who appear, not as citizens, but as "Friendly" units. They just wait around the edges of the map and get killed by goblins, mostly.
However, one of them just gave birth. And the baby is a citizen. But since the mother isn't, she didn't pick up her child: she's just letting him crawl around until he dies.

He is listed as having an iron will. He'll need it, too.

And now both mother and son have been slain by zombies and reanimated by a necromancer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:21:59 pm by Loam »
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28046 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »

Population is now up to 66, but the good news is one of the dwarven children has grown up to be a peasant. The bad news is we have a shortage of stone blocks, and I'm concerned the will remain unfinished before we get sieged or ambushed. The expedition leader has now been elected mayor.

Trading with the elves has given us a giant echidna and a giant kangaroo, and an incident with vultures has increased leather stocks somewhat.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28047 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »

Well, the magma crab didn't get anyone to dodge off the platform as I expected. It shot a few globs at passing dwarves, but didn't do any lasting harm besides causing one dwarf to retch all over the entryway.

2 casualties have occurred from deconstruction though. A piece of wall fell into the caldera, and the resulting splash grabbed a doctor and a kid. Didn't realize they were lost until I got the announcement.

Their slabs will join the others in the marble quarry, resting alongside their brother who was gored by an elephant, the memorial to said elephant, and the idiot miner who decided the dust storm was beautiful.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28048 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:19 am »

Amberfrost is surrounded by undead. One of the necromancers has been caged, but the other (a dwarf, funnily enough) is still at large. Er.
Inside, everyone is tantrumming and facepunching their friends. The militia would have proven useful, but they got turned into zombies.

And an FB is rampaging through my graveyard. Murderous ghosts for everyone!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28049 on: March 02, 2013, 01:32:43 am »

One of my farmers got moody. Checking the dwarf, i noticed it was one of my fort-grown younglings whom i'd given a tiny bit of armoursmith training. On a background check however, i found out that this dwarf likes... zinc. Yay. He promptly stormed off to the magmaworks, claimed a smithy and loudly demanded zinc bars (fey moods will be that specific). I don't keep any on hand - i directly smelt brass from ore, and only make zinc bars for nickel silver production - but it wasn't too hard to track down the sphalerite deposits and mine and smelt some more. The dwarf instantly snapped it up, grabbed a bit of leather and some gems (heliodors, i think) and went to work.

I wasn't expecting much, but at least i was going to get a legendary armourer out of the deal. The dwarf eventually finished his work and it turned out to be a zinc shield. Probably the most useful item it could have been - should block very nicely, and if the wearer decides to bash stuff with it, the weight ought to provide a bit of a punch. Most other options would have been much worse, the only thing i would have liked better would have been some exotic type of armour like a mask.
Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 3842