Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1862 1863 [1864] 1865 1866 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124679 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27945 on: February 24, 2013, 08:25:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another cave in, this time killing lil' Avuz Oakensmith. Sad times in the quarry.

Miners Stukos and Kubuk from 6th wave have been informed. It appears Avuz was following Stukos when the cave in knocked him off a ledge down the quarry. The digging has ceased, a cave in shall be employed to clear the last rubble to avoid injury.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:17:21 pm by Loud Whispers »

Kpn.Kardif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27946 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:29 pm »

The fortress of Actionchambers is currently in the last month of it's third year, and has, and has not, lived up to it's name.  We had two titans show up in successive seasons.  The first one was a sand titan with a huge articulated trunk and deadly spittle.  He came from the west, and quickly decided that my pasture animals looked more delicious than my dwarves.  He singled out a goat and moved in for the kill.  The goat must have been a Bruce Lee fan, after a little back an forth and 1.5 pages of combat text, he kicked the titan in the lower body, cutting him in half.  The goat now has his own pasture, which includes the company of two lady goats. 

The second titan came three or four months later, a forest titan with the head of a cobra and a deadly bite.  He, unlike the sand titan, made a beeline straight for my fort entrance.  I stationed my ill prepared militia (four axedwarves and eight marksdwarves) and braced for the worst.  The first volley of bolts sailed past the beast.  He was nearly on top of the axedwarves when the second volley was fired, which included a silver bolt that struck him square in the head, killing him instantly.  He was then picked up and brought to my butcher shop, where he has provided my fort with enough meat to last for the next several years.  Killing him also ushered in the age of heroes. 

So how has Actionchambers not lived up to it's name?  In three years, I think we've only had one baby...   

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27947 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

Decided to try out the Masterwork mod. A leprechaun ran into my fort and interrupted my dwarves and tried to attack some animals. I grew tired of this, and since I lacked a proper military I sent the closest thing: A war drake.
After a few punches which merely dented and fractured the drake's scales, the drake bit the leprechaun in half.

Also, a group of 3 stranglers passed by and they were killed by the caravan guards. There was a green gas cloud and my tanner became nauseous when he was apparently tanning one of their skins. Dunno what that was all about.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:50:52 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27948 on: February 24, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

Magma crab! There's a goddamn magma crab snipin' anyone that enters the magma forges area!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27949 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:16 pm »

Welp, one of my better axemen lost a leg. In a rather fortunate turn of events, I can assign a commander to the Town Watch. Now Urist McOneleg can still protect the town with reduced chance of being savagely mauled by only god knows what.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27950 on: February 24, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »

Having 8 Trolls, a load of Troglodytes and a bunch of Goblin soldiers prisoner, I decided to free up my cages by throwing most of them into the spike pit.

Paying that issue no more mind, I went about my business, until I suddenly realised half my soldiers were inexplicably hospitalised and there were crazy reports of violence popping up in the dining hall.

Sure enough, the Human Merchants were fighting with the Goblin soldiers, who had somehow got free and were running amok. I hastily sent the rest of the military in to kill them and meanwhile the Trolls went missing completely (?!).

Apparently they were thrown into the pit, but their corpses never showed up and I never heard from them again.

Fast forward about half an hour, and half the fort is drenched in Miasma. I keep running into rotting Troglodyte corpses in all kinds of bizarre places (wedged into a stairwell in an aquifer, in the dining hall, at the trade outpost, outside, near the exit to the caverns, in the mines...) and now mutilated Goblins have started showing up all over my entrance hall.

The weirdest thing is that their weapons seem to be scattered in totally unrelated corridors the other side of the map like little Christmas presents. I'm naming this new game either Spot The Corpse or Source The Miasma.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:25:18 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27951 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »

The trolls died on impact with the spikes and got stuck on them, becoming a part of the constructed spikes.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27952 on: February 24, 2013, 05:24:24 pm »

The trolls died on impact with the spikes and got stuck on them, becoming a part of the constructed spikes.

I dunno, can that happen with Weapon Trap spikes too? I had loads of spare Copper so simply made a pit with Weapon spikes as opposed to the Upright ones. So usually there's a load of Combat Log spam when I pit anything, but this time I just had 3 Trolls vanish off the face of the planet :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27953 on: February 24, 2013, 05:26:18 pm »

Yeah, when they get jammed in the trap. The dwarves will unjam them on their own if they can acess the traps though. Limulid had a problem with snatchers getting wedged in gears and such of traps set at important choke points.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27954 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »

"The Wereass Mafol Endoknazom has come! A large ass twisted into humanoid form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. Its eyes glow scarlet. Its brown hair is long and straight. Now you will know why you fear the night."

Logically, I know it's an animal ass.

I cannot picture this guy as anything other than a huge, twisted monstrous, hairy butt ravaging the countryside.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27955 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »

Welp, one of my better axemen lost a leg. In a rather fortunate turn of events, I can assign a commander to the Town Watch. Now Urist McOneleg can still protect the town with reduced chance of being savagely mauled by only god knows what.

Majority of dwarves in my original axe squad are legendary crutch-walkers.
Some of them even have 3-4 kills etched on their crutches.

In other news, I've had 4 Antmen camping at the edge of a cavern for a few months,
and I decided to send my recruit hammerdwarves to kill them and train a bit, considering
antmen have no armour or weapons.

As soon as they engaged them, 3 pages of Antmen spawn from the edge of the map.
I quickly sent the rest of my army to help them, but even full armour doesn't help when outnumbered 4 to 1,
it was like a zombie apocalypse film.
I've lost more dwarves to naked cave dwelling animalmen than I lost in a 100 goblin siege.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27956 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »

@ HD23 - The image in my head.... Glorious....

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27957 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »

Things are moving slowly in Helpedink, my days are filled mostly with telling dwarves to pick up their discarded clothing, rather than just leaving them about the dining hall.

Since the last siege I have widened the moats, adding some more distance between enemies and my wall fortifications. Hopefully this will give my marksdwarf-squads some better survivability.

I have also began working on an above-ground farm, which is tedious since I have no usable irrigated top-soil, so I have to make my dwarves haul buckets of water. It's slow going, and I guess I could construct something more efficient, but then again I have a lot of unused workforce, and they could need the exercise.

Also, I seem to be getting bars of silver from somewhere, despite not having found any silver ore on the map, nor ordering the melting of such (or metal objects of the kind). Just saw the dwarves dropping off a load, but I have no clue as to where they got it. Anyone have any ideas?
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27958 on: February 24, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »

A Kea just stole an artifact loincloth from my fortress.

Kironidath, "The Holy Amusement", this is a giant bushtit leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with round jet cabochons and decorated with giant bushtit leather. This object menaces with spikes of orthoclase.

Due to complications involving my broker (and 99% of the other dwarves in the fortress) dying to a giant winged earthworm with long silken hair and fiery breath, I don't know its value.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, I suppose) its creator is among the dead and so is not upset.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27959 on: February 24, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

Also, I seem to be getting bars of silver from somewhere, despite not having found any silver ore on the map, nor ordering the melting of such (or metal objects of the kind). Just saw the dwarves dropping off a load, but I have no clue as to where they got it. Anyone have any ideas?

You aren't smelting tetrahedrite or galena, are you? They each have a chance of producing silver bars.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 1862 1863 [1864] 1865 1866 ... 3842