Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1850 1851 [1852] 1853 1854 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094996 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27765 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:25 am »

My fortress has been hit with hard times. After an incursion of kobold thieves into the courtyard, a goblin siege sowed up. Two squads, one crossbow and one sword. The crossbow squad's leader, a swordmaster, was caught in a cage trap, while the mace lord leading the sword platoon made it all the way into the courtyard completely unharmed by the traps where he engaged my militia and beat the living shit out of the lot of 'em. Most of my militia is in bad shape, and many are dead. The menace was finally turned away with a blow to the gut, making him nauseous, and causing him to flee back down the trap hallway, where he finally took multiple wounds, leaving him passed out on a jammed up trap. He later died. The crossbow squad is still hanging out in the trap hallway next to their leader, but a few of them burned to death, presumably because of their own stupid elemental mage.

Right now I'm having any trainable animals trained for war and stationed in the courtyard, where they will fight with the militia in case of a breach in the future. I will need to upgrade the trap hallway...

[edit]

I was having some trouble with dorfs not using their lovely legendary dining room and becoming unhappy for lack of ZOMG AWESOME DINING ROOM thought. Turns out it was because it was all registered as belonging to the bookkeeper, because I made one of the chairs his office. Problem wasn't entirely solved, though: one of the fools is running back and forth between +silver tables+, clutching madly at his precious plump helmet, yet refusing to sit down and eat it. Forbidding the plump helmet caused him to give up and throw the plump helmet down on the table in front of him and eat the damn thing.
Despite the large numbers of tables and chairs in my two dining rooms, my dwarves are still rushing food out to eat in the open in my dwarven barracks.........

I'm thinking that its must be nice to get some sun and watch some dwarves clad in plate working out.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27766 on: February 11, 2013, 07:24:27 am »

And searching through my prepared food pot, I found a stack of 47 Dwarven wine roast, The ingredients are minced turkey hen egg, minced yak's milk, minced yak's milk, minced yak's milk, minced yak's milk, minced yak's milk, minced dwarven wine and minced dwarven wine.

I quite sure its really just 4 ingredients and you know, some screwed up presentation but apparently, over christmas, my dwarves went insane making egg nog.

Nah, i'm certain there is some sort of bug that rarely lets kitchen dwarfs pick up a prepared meal stack as cooking ingredient, leading to ridiculously huge and valuable foodstacks with a dozen or more ingredients. The longest list i've seen so far was eighteen ingredients, most of them quarry bush leaves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27767 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:10 am »

Bustygifts has recovered from the grand Tantrum Spiral of 255, in which 140 dwarf lives and approximately 20 animals died.

Heroes of the tantrum spiral include:

the late Shinotsa, grievously wounded five berserkers before bleeding out
Wrex Artagjaja, head of the Death of Detah, wounding many but never killing
Kilrud, Shinotsa's husband, a novice speardwarf who slew three titled berserkers, including Dsarker.

Also helping were the three speargolems Dakbor, Armorypuzzled and I can't remember the third one.

Our population is steadily climbing again, and all but one of the dead dwarves have now been interred in the mass grave.

We're at 117 dwarves now, up from 67 a year before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27768 on: February 11, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note to self, Zombie Kobolds can pick locks.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27769 on: February 11, 2013, 02:46:21 pm »

that's a lot of ravens.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27770 on: February 11, 2013, 03:04:45 pm »

Iteb McFarmer cancels Everything: Seeking Infant.
Iteb McFarmer cancels seek infant: Infant inaccessible.

Your baby is DEAD, get back to work.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27771 on: February 11, 2013, 03:23:53 pm »

A goblin and undead siege decided to hit me once again.... This time, instead of wasting my bolts on the enemy, I contrived to turn on the bridge seperating the two forces together and watch them go at it........

It was a slaughter of undead. A single swordsmaster rushed past my weapons trap, dodging into the river as planned.......... Instead of drowning however, he fought his way to shore, cleaving through undead with his silver two handed sword. Dodging and weaving, he cut a swath of destruction through the undead, buying precious time for his following pikegoblins to purchase a vital foothold on safe ground. My sole weapon trap overwhelmed by undead corpses, the pikes were able to push past the riverbridge chokepoint and on to safe ground....... Safe that is, save for two goblins who drowned, dying as every step they made towards shore was mauled by the undead. They died in extreme pain, having suffered nothing more serious than a broken arm, or a foot....... save for the water flooding into their small lungs as they died, a single step away from safety.... amidst a mountain of foes.... as their frail bodies drifted away in the current and brought them under.....

Meanwhile, the 4 pikes were slowly being overwhelmed. Despite their leader valiant efforts, pinning and slaughtering their foes, the corpses still found time to surround them. Even as their leader assault shattered any attempt to mob them under, an occasional lurch could still break through their defence.... And so did Atu Azubax fare ill.... as a corpse after another charged at him, grabbing his helm, punching through his armour, fracturing his leg.... But Atu stood firm. His pike was shining silver and he endeavoured to stain it black with ichor. When his foe grabbed his helm, it only brought them closer for him to stab them. When he was bearhugged, it only meant that it was time to strike at their feet! A shield wall formed, as his compatriots rushed to defend him.His incredible muscles quivered as he stood up one more time.... for another foe.....just.... one more....... Blackness....... Red........Pain........no you filthy beast! BACK! BACK! Was that his comrade? Someone who stood by him even as a human abductee tried to murder him? To grab his glory? No.... it was just a yawing mouth..... Funny... He always knew he would die at the hands of a goblin........
I'm still alive...... why?
Dostngosp.... His leader....
"Pick up your weapon."
"Leave him sir, he's of no use to us."
"HERE THEY COME!"
"WAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!"
"DWARVES! I COME FOR BLOOD! BLOOD! Be thee undead or living, FALL!!!!!!!!"

"Countness, the human necromancers flee. This force is more elite than any we ever seen. And this time, winter will not save us."
"Have faith recruit. Furgig will see that what must be, will be."

"You breathe? Then Atu, you stand. You fight. They're there......... cowering behind their walls. We lost too many bows to winter to hurt them. As I breathe, they shall fall!"
Dostngosp was panting, as drops of ichor fell from his lips.... A goblin who tried to lay hands on him...... It now had bite marks on that hand...... what remains after it had been smashed to pieces. "Reinforcements........ They come.... Their whips shall drive the dwarves into defeat."

"Once a beautiful tree, now this! You.... Tree Killer! Away with your ale and your beer. No, I will not sell nature bounty to you, AWAY!"
"Come patsy! We pack the wagons. Now!"

"AIEEE!!!!~!! T...T...TROLLS!"

"Wow.... For a hippie, he's tough. That troll looks like he's actually wheezing!"
"Cut the chatter. Hold the line!"

Dostngosp snarled as he brained the hunting dog to death with his shield. He would had preferred his sword......  but that was long gone now. Along with his hand. He looked back. His pike force..... Captured......... A new undead force to plague his kind. The trolls.. dead amongst the trade depot..... Half of the invasion force had fled......... Cowards...... The last he remembered was the bowgoblin saying "we hurtz them see, so, we go now, and come back for another go, see!"  They are closing in......

"AWAY WITH YE!" The howls of the dog ceased, as it lay still, its blood splashed across his shield...... It was the last of his strength. They were closing in..... Crossbows......."FALL!!!!!"

"We lost many captain. Several dogs........ Kikrost died.......... He was just called back to the colours after recovering from lack of alcohol....... Just.... weeks.... Imagine if he had stayed as a farmer, he would still be alive."
"Aye.... And the countess is SLEEPING. Too minor a clean up? MINOR? Our war dogs,my.... my beloved fluffy................. All the injuries we suffered. Our elite "executioner" was defeated by a mere MACE! And that swordsmaster was too great a threat. I say she was a coward, she feared to match her axe against his sword.........This... This makes me mad......So mad..... I.... I......"

"we still have swords gobbos to kill across that river. Save it....."

My military has been attritted away, this even as the enemy camps across my river, their leader trapped in a cage trap. At this point, I'm at a serious loss of what to do. I'm tempted to just seal my dwarves in until I get hold of more gear, training, and complete the second wave of inner/outer defences... At least, on my side of the river anyway. I don't dare send my now much smaller military into combat anymore. A single elite bowgoblin has crippled my military, and in mopping up, a crippled macegobbo has hurt my recruits and veterans... The tantrum spirals that's going to set in any time now, especially if infection gets hold is going to cripple me.... This could be the end of my fort, even though it suffered so 'little".

An amazing story....... that unfortunately won't hold true because I shut down DF without saving by accident...

Still, all this has prompted me to create a SCIENCE project... Well, at least for the arena. The Silver sword was AWESOME. It cut tendons, ligaments, fractured bones, all stuff that would kill an undead and from a very subjective view, slow down the undead attack. Yet, it singularly failed to create massive body parts! This even as its heavy weight fractured bones over and over again..... Silver, bane against the undead? Tests results to come as soon as I get to it!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27772 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »

Nearly lost the fort to yet another web-spitting FB.

Caged the near-entirety of a ferric elf siege, taming the war animals and animals they bring with me. Problem that after I tame them they're still caged prisoners, and that +trained+ alligator is in fact not trained at all, and still hostile.

Let's try breeding them and see if their offspring are considered wild animals

also had a dragon attack me. Set on fire nearly half of my giant outside refuse stockpile, which I honestly thank him for because there's already so much crap from sieges on the surface...

I killed it, he didn't seem to bleed. Damn, no half-dragons for me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27773 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »

A troop of rhesus macaques charged headlong down my trap hallway. I didn't get to see the fun due to the omnipresent miasma, but the end result was that absolutely nothing made it into the fortress courtyard. Beyond that, the fortress has mostly settled down, despite the ongoing undead siege (run by two mages and whatever undead they can conjure up to undeath between them) and bruteman ambush parties wiping the undead out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27774 on: February 11, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »

5 zlvl horizontal magma fall. This game can simulate so many wonderful things that just aren't currently feasible in game.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27775 on: February 11, 2013, 07:48:11 pm »

5 zlvl horizontal magma fall. This game can simulate so many wonderful things that just aren't currently feasible in game.

:o... Wow Loud Whispers, just wow...
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27776 on: February 11, 2013, 07:49:39 pm »

Needs more elves.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27777 on: February 11, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »

What is this I don't even.
This is magma falling straight down 5 levels, I assume?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27778 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »

What is this I don't even.
This is magma falling straight down 5 levels, I assume?
From top to bottom!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27779 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »

From top to bottom!
Welp, I'd hate to be at the bottom of all that.

"Hey Suzgob, why's the sky gone all red?"
"What da faaaaa-"
Gobbos 1 and 2 have melted.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 1850 1851 [1852] 1853 1854 ... 3842