Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965769 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27285 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »

I moved my pop cap up to 200 from its 20.  First migrant wave gives me 60 more. -.-
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27286 on: January 11, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »

I really, really hate when I start getting bored with a good fort. Current one is a little funky, since caravans are bugged (I think I caught a guard on a bridge, and he is trapped but invisible, and I can't get rid of him, so no caravans ever come) and I'm getting tired of the amount of random stuff that is cluttering up my fort layers.

I like the design, using a spiral ramp for the main shaft, and everything built off of that. Bit finicky to use the right way, but I'm getting used to ramp usage.

Haven't seen a goblin for 3 game years, and no other invaders have appeared, even though my worth is 6mil and population is 124.

I think I just need to make a new fort, and come back to this one. Plus, I don't think I'll get a pair of giant black mamba again any time soon :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:58:27 pm by Lich180 »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27287 on: January 11, 2013, 11:12:17 pm »

Maybe the goblins are scared of your mambas...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27288 on: January 12, 2013, 02:12:54 am »

My only dwarf with an appraisal skill died.

You'd think out of 176 dwarves at least ONE could do it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27289 on: January 12, 2013, 02:17:17 am »

One soldier is responsible for the amount of corpses causing that miasma, some of which is actually seeping from an even greater concentration of miasma above. The middle cloud disappated as I snapped this sadly which kills some of the impact.

Henti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27290 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:31 am »

My queen just arrived, and she's a necromancer. Moving her to her room is going to be more difficult than usual....

On the other hand, I have an infinite source of military power now.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27291 on: January 12, 2013, 09:09:17 am »

When the next caravan rolls in, set the depot to 'anyone may trade', make whoever takes the job broker before opening the trade screen. Bam, skilled appraiser.

If you want to have backup appraisers, just switch off 'only broker may trade' for, i dunno, the elven caravan or so. You don't even need to actually trade, just opening the trade screen is enough.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27292 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34:13 am »

When the next caravan rolls in, set the depot to 'anyone may trade', make whoever takes the job broker before opening the trade screen. Bam, skilled appraiser.

If you want to have backup appraisers, just switch off 'only broker may trade' for, i dunno, the elven caravan or so. You don't even need to actually trade, just opening the trade screen is enough.

Thank you, this is helpful.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27293 on: January 12, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »

Just started my first fort in far too long. Got a river and a canyon with a brook feeding in via waterfall, so my dream of a dam may come to fruition. Also, gold, galena, and ores of copper, tin and zinc, as well as 1.5 megafucktons of marble. This will be awesome!

EDIT: You know what else we have? Fucking alligators. Wonderful.

EDIT2: And now the woodworker is dead.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:27:39 pm by Pyre »
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27294 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:58 pm »

After many days of sadness and unfortunate accidents, I am back in business (whilst still technically unemployed.)

My computer is still being a massive cunt, but I managed to get a bit done in my fortress of Luckystream. The 177 dwarves don't get a moment to no job, just because there's so much work to do. The farmers are all farming, the smiths are smithing, the miners are mining, and the craftsdwarves are mostly hauling crap around, but they do have some stone pots to make. Overall, the only dwarves consistently without work to do are the doctors, and only because I don't permit them any labors besides their doctoring. Makes them more efficient and less likely to be wanking off when they're supposed to save some idiot's life. The next least-overworked dwarf would be the beekeeper. I only permit one beekeeper, but given how slow the beekeeping industry is, and the fact that multiple beekeepers will often cause bugs, one is both all that is necessary and the limit I would permit. He doesn't have any other labors to worry about, at least.

There were two goblin ambushes that I know of who got mashed up in the pit trap. The survivors of that ordeal were gunned down by the rangers whilst trying to crawl back across the traps. The human caravan made it inside without tripping any of the ambushes, and I pawned off a load of prepared meals in return for raw foodstuffs and wood.

Beyond that, some poor schmucks who died at some point are in need of burial, so an extra tomb space is being carved out and engraved beside the memorial to the warriors who fell in a siege a couple years back.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:27:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27295 on: January 12, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

Luckily in the second year I've been able to trade with the mountainhomes something useful (thanks to the mayor who wanted amulets, thus forcing me in mass-crafting).
Alas, I'm still on the edge of starvation. It would help if someone would try to pasture the hens I have just bought. Seems that they are too much busy drinking.

But hey, I killed a Forgotten Beast (a turtle). I ordered my militia to group before the attack, and a crazy swordsdwarf who was past the beast, in retreating to the standing ground decided to go solo and kill it. It was a very easy kill, to be honest, because the beast stood quiet waiting for the fatal blow.
Now the militia is back in killing the everlasting werewolves (who are annoying because they keep interrupting the woodcutters).
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27296 on: January 12, 2013, 03:41:43 pm »

Steel-clad axelords were no match for daleks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27297 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »

All is not well, at this point.

For the Autumn, the goblins sent a siege, which as far as I can tell prevented the arrival of the dwarven caravan. I was expecting a hefty shipment of leather and cloth to cloth my dwarves. Better luck next year, I suppose.

Unfortunately, the siege did not go as well as it could have if I had been more patient: Despite all three of the goblins' infantry platoons arriving at roughly the same time, I let the marksdwarves engage the goblins before their mounted crossbowman platoon was all the way in the trap hallway. Thusly, a marksdwarf died of a broken heart. After being pierced by a crossbow bolt, her husband, who had been standing right next to her, wandered off to get some ammo, leaving her to bleed to death alone.

After all four goblin platoons were in the grinder and sufficiently shredded, I released the melee squads by stationing them in the bottom of the pit. They rushed across the bridge, slaughtering every goblin on it, before fighting their way down the stairs. During the melee,several injuries were received, and two soldiers were struck down on the spot. Nearly all of the surviving greenskins died on the stairwell, and those who didn't were unconscious at the bottom of the pit when they had their heads smashed in. It was a sad day for the dwarves of Luckystream, but the soldiers who died during the siege will receive special honors in a second memorial hall, attached to the first.

During the siege, I accidentally planespacked a leather shirt by designating civilian burrow restrictions to keep everyone out of harm's way. The farmer who made it was only possessed, and it was a tanning mood, so I suppose getting a very image-heavy leather shirt out of it isn't such a bad deal. I can't provide a screenshot, unfortunately. All the extra stuff he grabbed was leather.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:26:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27298 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:30 pm »

Steel-clad axelords were no match for daleks.
EX-TER-MI-NATE! What exactly did you expect?  ???

Last year, a goblin siege brought some kind of demon with them, supposedly their leader. I can't really take a giant rabbit (twisted into human form) serious. The Gilded Ones (5 legendary hammerdwarves in layered iron armor) chased it all across the site until... wait for it... the rabbit fell into a pond. Meh. The military continued to turn goblins and war jabberers into pulp and I think the rabbit devil climbed out again and ran away when I didn't look.

That year I also merged most nobles into a single dwarf. I now have a baron/manager/broker/bookkeeper who's also the captain of the guard and a decent hammerdwarf with 6 soldiers under his direct command. So basically, he's the injured party, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in one. I'm thinking about making him the hammerer, but I'm not too sure about a hammerer who's superdwarvenly strong, has a masterwork silver war hammer and knows how to use it.

And just now, the local vampire got possessed. He's walled into a room with only a craftsdwarf's workshop - stones go in, rock mugs come out. Now I'll have to let him out for the mood and hope he doesn't bite anyone before I can get him back in. He's not that important, but I don't want to miss an interesting artifact.
This dwarf is the best example for what happens to dwarves with no alcohol... he's a master stonecrafter by now but works like a novice, rarely producing anything above base quality and generally moving veeeery slowly.

I also started a little crafting project. The metalcrafter is churning out masterwork silver goblets by the binload and the gemsetter puts every single piece of glittery stone that can be found onto them. So far, there are only a few goblets above 3000 value, but I only just started. My aim is to have a single goblet that can buy a whole caravan. Just imagine the traders... "We had 7 wagons of valuable goods and traded them for... a glittery mug."
Sadly, caravans are rare in recent years. Everytime someone arrives, a goblin ambush appears in the same place and my military just isn't fast enough to kill the goblins before the caravan decides to leave again.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27299 on: January 12, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »

Goblins brought their general, who was a naked weaponless goblin. Oh the excitement.

Wherever I post my axedwarf squad leader, I get
hacks the enemy it the head, severed part flies off
goblins?
severed part flies off
megabeasts? severed part flies off
FB/Titans? severed part flies off

None of the FBs were made of any weird materials, so it all ended pretty fast,
demons got obsidianized and none are spawning off hell edges right now,
but I will not end my fort until I suicide-mission this dwarf.

Axe squads are becoming insta killing machines of death too soon,
in my next fort, I'm thinking about having something less deadly.
Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 3838