Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1816 1817 [1818] 1819 1820 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969386 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27255 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »

Can it be some kind of unit stayed behind from one of the caravans - a draught or pack animal or somesuch?

I once had a wagon from a two-caravan pileup break apart when it was on a ramp, and one of the horses got stuck inside a wall; in every season thereafter, i was told that my fort 'attracted no migrants' although it was well over the population cap (and had been for years) and the dwarf caravan of the following year failed to show up. I eventually deconstructed a wall to let the stupid horse back out - it instantly turned stark raving mad - and (non-)migration and caravans returned to their proper states.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27256 on: January 09, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »

There's only caged prisoners and some giant bushtits on the map besides the local cave fish men and my dorfs. And I really don't want to go clear-cutting trees to see what the fuck happened because I'd like merchants to actually use my damned road and not spawn in random places.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27257 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

We were lucky the Goblins wasted so many arrows on the cat farm.

Wasted? every single one of those arrows was well spent.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27258 on: January 09, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

Haven't had a good siege since Spring of 308... That was the one where 4 sworddwarves and 6 marksdwarves killed everything in their path.

I assume goblins have heard that I have trained giant war black mamba, and do not wish to die a horrible, suffocate-y death.

But it sure would be nice to see some goblins again... I have need for... guests... in my statue garden and dining room. Nothing classes up golden furniture like live prisoners!

EDIT: I should mention, I also haven't seen thieves, snatchers, or very many ambushes, and my fort worth is 5,228,188. How odd.

And everyone is totally ecstatic since the statue garden was erected. Its a nice covered area outside, access through the tree farm, past the mamba breeding chamber. Gold statues, and the artifact millstone and mechanism are proudly on display.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:58:19 pm by Lich180 »

Lazy_lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27259 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »

I breached the 1st and 2nd cavern layers before I was prepared so the troglodytes strangled everyone by mid spring of the first year. The reclaim almost ended the same way but a lucky as hell miner escaped and managed to install hatches on the stairs and survive until the first migrant wave. I've had better starts by an astronomical unit.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27260 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »

Lack of migrants. Read that again. LACK OF MIGRANTS.

Not in the "oops, I picked a dead civ" sense, but despite my fucking gold plated road, ample sup[ply of good food of ever increasing variety and value, the fact I have spare beds and clothing, and caravans are routinely escaping in one piece (Except for one accident with a wagon from home and a half destroyed human one years ago) I still have yet to get the migrants I need. I keep getting informed that the place attracted nobody this season. Four the last six years. Something is very VERY wrong here.
Go into the dwarf raws in creature_standard, remove multiple_litter_rare, add litter_size:8:10 and change child age from 12 to 2. Leave the fort run for 3 years and you'll have a brand new batch of dwarves. Only downside is they're all related now.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27261 on: January 09, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »

I've embarked on an island with a volcano, I also learnt that wagons are aquatic creatures.
Unf.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27262 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:20 pm »

Migrants.  The bane of almost every fortress it seems.  Too many or not enough.

Been a while since I last played (pre-current military system).  So I get back into it, create a world, decide military only defence and no traps or walling off.  So a series of fortresses abandoned in mostly similar circumstances - an attack kills most of my military making defence against next attack look fairly hopeless, and with a tantrum spiral well underway.

And I've discovered dwarves from previously abandoned fortresses will now turn up in your next fortress.  Complete with custom titles and any developed skills etc, which can be nice.  And also with whatever personal problems they previously had, which is not so nice.  So woo-hoo when Urist legendary weaponcrafter turns up.  And boo-hoo when he turns start raving mad before he even sets foot in the fortress proper.  Or most recently an emo migrant turns up and almost instantly the RNG selects him for a mood, resulting in one of my established dwarves getting turned into an artifact at the butcher's shop, in full view of half the fortress.

It seems a bit odd that a migrant can have the mental fortitude to hold it altogether while a fort crumbles around him, survive a dangerous trek through wilderness in the hope of reaching a new home to build a new life, and then go stark raving mad the instant they set foot in their new home.  Perhaps its the last straw when they recognise many of the same design features and organisational strategies at their new home as the previous hell hole they escaped from....

Lazy_lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27263 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:26 pm »

It seems a bit odd that a migrant can have the mental fortitude to hold it altogether while a fort crumbles around him, survive a dangerous trek through wilderness in the hope of reaching a new home to build a new life, and then go stark raving mad the instant they set foot in their new home.  Perhaps its the last straw when they recognise many of the same design features and organisational strategies at their new home as the previous hell hole they escaped from....

Obviously they see you and start screaming, "Oh Armok, not again!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27264 on: January 10, 2013, 02:26:41 am »

I just had three legendary miners go berserk in less than 5 minutes real-time.

This is the pinnacle of this half-year long tantrum spiral, I guess.  I doubt much will be alive after this.

And it all started because one ghost, ONE happened to control a dwarf, who killed another with a thrown chair.

This was hilarious.

Industrial scale coffin production is underway.  We're at 153 of a peak of 197 dwarves now.

Oh god one of the berserk miners is in the dining hall.

EDIT:

It got bad enough I pulled the fort's self destruct lever.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:34:13 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27265 on: January 10, 2013, 04:40:07 am »

Berserk Miner in the Dining hall usually is an Forts end. xD
I am curious, how's your self destruction system desinged?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27266 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:05 am »

Berserk Miner in the Dining hall usually is an Forts end. xD
I am curious, how's your self destruction system desinged?

The main tower collapses because it has a ring of supports all linked to the lever for a foundation and the stuff underground gets flooded with lava or water, depending on exactly where you are.

The miner is what did it.  I was down to 20 dwarves, all miserable + a few berserk.  Most of the dwarves still alive died when the tower imploded upon itself.

The last dwarf alive was a !!stoneworker!! who found themselves cornered by lava with nowhere else to back up to.

It was hilarious.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27267 on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:28 am »

Obviously they see you and start screaming, "Oh Armok, not again!"

Yeah, we could rationalise it by saying they never fully realised their trauma because they were too busy staying alive and getting somewhere safe and only once they arrived it really hit home.

Still sort of annoying when the resident cat ladies of an old fort migrate to your new place, because no matter how many in-game years have passed since you abandoned the old place, they'll arrive with the full unhappiness hit for losing every last one of their cats. Better remove all your mayor's/expedition leader's labours, because she/he will have to do a fair bit of pacifying and consoling to keep them stable until the grieving period is over.

Anyway: my most challenging successful embark so far - glacier bordering on arctic evil sea. While the miners are busy carving out the starting dormitory and dining room, i get an interruption message from wildlife. Zombie Harp Seals. Hm, what on earth are harp seals? "A small marine mammal", the description says. Well, everybody, you're a wrestler squad now, attack! Needless to say, there are no survivors on the surface.

The two miners manage to carve out some basic rooms, take on the various 'getting started' duties and tick along at unhappy to very unhappy, until one tantrums and punches her colleague, insta-braining him. For some reason she refuses to acknowledge the presence of the corpse lying around in plain sight but still keeps it together until migrants arrive, bury the dead and get the fortress proper going. I later find out that zombie harp seals are quite capable of taking down yaks...
After three years, when i'm getting ready to wrap up business, it's a nice little glacier fort with no fortress deaths apart from the first settlers. Still ended up with an unmemorable ghostly caravan guard...

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27268 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:12 am »

A forgotten beast and vampire continue to drown at in an aquifer for the tenth consecutive year. The militia captain decided to take a break on the drawbridge...the only place exposed to the gobbos (four, five or six ambushes going on right now...every month more of them arrive, still no siege though.)
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27269 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:25 am »

Somehow my military dwarfs won't wear helmets, even though they use every thing else I've assigned to them. They have access to the helmet, the equipment screen says they've claimed them. But they don't wear them. Any ideas whats wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 1816 1817 [1818] 1819 1820 ... 3839