Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 [1812] 1813 1814 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120728 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27165 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:51 am »

Started a new fort recently, and there's a truckload of iron ores. So I'm going to make all my doors, tables, chairs, statues and other furnitures out of cold, hard iron. I'll be making weapons and armour out of steel, of which I am capable of making a significant amount of. Someday I hope to have seven steel-clad dwarven champions ready to defend my goblin king, who will be seated on the ☼iron throne☼.
I'm also working on an iron block watchtower/water tank/‼FLOOD THE WORLD‼ megaproject, so I have forges making iron blocks non-stop.

[EDIT:Yes, the king of my civ is actually a goblin. I'm not sure how this happened, seeing as my copy of DF is (relatively) vanilla. He's no Cacame Apebalded, though, just a tanner.]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:52:54 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27166 on: January 04, 2013, 05:00:02 am »

I like "Minecraft the Game of Blocks" and "The Big Ball-Sacks of Babies". Neither of those was RNG'd unfortunately...
Also, I haven't found the word "anus" in the list, even using the search feature.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27167 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:57 am »

taken out I think. For what reason I have no idea.

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27168 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:24 am »

The Automagic MigrantSmasherTM is being constructed to deal with the overpopulation problem.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27169 on: January 04, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »

Some firebreathing, flying forest titan came around. A speardwarf stabbed it in the guts and it died in seconds, but not before setting the grass and said speardwarf on fire. She used to be very fat and now all the fat on her upper body and head is gone - I think, her curviness may have saved her life ???
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27170 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

Tried out Masterwork. Had a concubine give birth to triplets. One of whom, at four days old, started drawing pentagrams in blood. Not knowing what to think about that, I let him sit. After about a year, he became a Blood Beast child, who killed a few pets, and damaged the tusk of a giant elephant. Said elephant began repeatedly smashing its head to no avail until a military dwarf decapitated it with a great axe. Not sure why decapitating worked when an elephant stomping it to pieces didn't...

Following that, had several Orc sneaks get into the fortress pretty far despite the wall, moat, and the drakes chained up outside the gate. One managed to kill several dwarves and pets, including the frilly lizard who was providing vermin to the slaughterhouse to make bonemeal. He then fought for several days as the dwarves completely forgot how to use their steel great axes and meteoric crossbows, until one decided to simply decapitate the orc. Nearly had a tantrum spiral from these two events.

Also having trouble with placing landmines. First attempt spawned three, and somehow necromancied a nearby skull, but a different issue forced a savescum. Subsequent attempts result in nothing but a waste of landmine kits.

Some firebreathing, flying forest titan came around. A speardwarf stabbed it in the guts and it died in seconds, but not before setting the grass and said speardwarf on fire. She used to be very fat and now all the fat on her upper body and head is gone - I think, her curviness may have saved her life ???
I remember reading a CNN news blurb that being overweight reduces mortality rate. Proof-in-concept?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27171 on: January 04, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »

About half a year later...
The dead rise! About 60 assorted dwarf and goblin corpses invaded my relatively unprepared fort. The military couldn't do much and 30 dwarves died. The militia is gone except for 4 extremely grumpy old soldiers and a squad of untrained recruits who are hunting corpses in the workshop area. Undead aren't the toughest of enemies, but the sheer number makes them quite dangerous.

I couldn't find a necromancer... can the dead just randomly walk by or do I have a hidden surprise somewhere? If the killed corpses rise again, I'm really screwed and the civilians are in for some Fun. I may have to evacuate everybody to the saferoom on one of the lower levels if this goes on.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27172 on: January 04, 2013, 01:56:21 pm »

I couldn't find a necromancer... can the dead just randomly walk by or do I have a hidden surprise somewhere?

Only evil biomes can ris ethe dead. If you are not in an evil bipme then you ahd an Necro around at least the moment the dead woke all up.
The Necro doesnt need to stick around for them to stay alife so far i know. Only to reanimate them again.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27173 on: January 04, 2013, 03:46:36 pm »

The human deity, a rhinoceros brute with noxious secretions, decided to pay a visit. I managed to close the bridge before it got inside to spread its goo all over the place, then slowly lured it into the dry moat (lots of hit&miss there, actually), isolated it and dropped a bit of ceiling on it. The skeleton is still covered in extract. I engraved a slab in its honour. And dumped it on top of the corpse. The humans don't seem to mind, the following year's caravan and diplomat arrived without a hitch.

The extract puts the victim to sleep for a while. Noticed that on cats which pathed through extract. Cats got drowsy, took a nap and then got back up without further troubles. I finally realised what's so wrong about DF cats - they don't spend half the day asleep.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27174 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:10 pm »

Embarked upon a human tomb.

Promptly committed sacrilege and caved it in for my own amusement.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27175 on: January 04, 2013, 06:13:49 pm »

8 years going strong, and the caverns are filling up with forgotten beasts of all types.

I plan on (hopefully) trapping them, and making a zoo or something like that. The web-spitter may be used for a silk farm, but first we have to get the damn thing trapped.

Ugh. Might have to web the cages first... which is too much effort. I'll just trap them in a small area with bridges and break the lever that would release them...

Edit of an edit: My giant black mambas have finally reproduced! Snakes, snakes EVERYWHERE!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:23:24 pm by Lich180 »

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27176 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Huh?

Oh, you mean besides the elven caravan. Okay, let's see - squad of bowgoblins led by a goblin law-giver, couple of squads of spear/pikegoblins, an axegoblin squad led by a lasher, and there's a troll around somewhere too.

Inventory of dwarven militia; 2 Legendary Axedwarves, clad in mostly-iron armour with steel mail shirt and breastplate, plus 40 Hammerdwarves of varying ineptitude who have been on two-month training cycles for the past two-three years and are just barely beginning to get their stats up - armed with iron war hammers and armoured with an iron shield, mail shirt, and dwarven foolishness stubbornness. Oh, and four marksdwarves who have just been switched out of the hammer squads since their stats have improved enough for them to be trusted to know which end to point at the enemy.

The militia are called to arms, and the squads duly troop into the entrance behind the veteran Axelords, except for two who misinterpret 'station here' as 'station 50 tiles over there in the middle of the goblin army'. Their sacrifice will not be in vain, as I've been needing to get a burial site built anyway.

The two Axelords are ordered to move to intercept the goblin leader and his archer squad; with their skills at such a high level, they can simply block, dodge or parry incoming arrows without much trouble. One gets to the archer squad and starts chopping bits off, the other gets distracted by the Axegoblin squad and starts laying into them.

Bits of goblin fly everywhere, and after these squads have been dealt with the Axelords are ordered back to the entrance to hold off the Speargoblins and Trolls who are almost at the fort's barracks (which is right at the entrance).

The goblin siege is fairly promptly routed; the majority of the militia did very little (although I think the marksdwarves got to shoot a few bone bolts, which is nice as I've yet to set up an archery range for them), the axelords now have nearly one-tenth the kills of my deadly brewer (who, by the way, got elected as mayor at some point - 'vote for me, I killed over 1000 goblins with this -dwarven ale barrel-' must make an inspirational election message), but there are a couple of odd things that I don't fully notice until later.

It looks like at some point during the scuffle, my militia commander took a blow to her right arm, fracturing the bone and causing her to lose her grip on her axe. Before I'd noticed this, she went off and randomly attacked a giraffe with her teeth and fists on her way back to the fortress. When it became clear that her named bronze battleaxe was lying abandoned on the battlefield, I ordered it reclaimed, so she duly charged out to grab it - just before reaching it, she spotted a kobold thief.

This time, she stopped long enough to grab the axe before dismembering the offending creature.

Now that I've got my refuse disposal system up and running, the haulers are going to be very busy cleaning up all the corpses (and part-corpses) of thieves, ambushers and besieging forces from the last five years.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27177 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:15 pm »

A lone raging Honey Badger Sow chasing my poor dwarves. Oh and elephants. But I got two hunters with my first migrants and they hunt them down easily. I hope those elephants won't call for reinforcements. Wouldn't be that great.
Oh and I've got a lot of marble around me. Marble furniture is awesome shit.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27178 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

A wereape arrived yesterday. However, it seemed to have been a very "special" kind of a wereape, as it immediately decided to fight an elephant, nearly kill the poor pachyderm, and then immediately left the map without ever getting NEAR the fort.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27179 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:52 pm »

It devolved quickly into an endless beating against it's head. I can only think my champion pulled some super saiyan bullshit.
Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 [1812] 1813 1814 ... 3842