Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120987 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27135 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »

My fortress is old enough that the children of the turkeys I'd brought for egg production are dying of old age. I am proud, but concerned. My fortresses don't usually live a full 14 years before I kill them out of boredom. It's okay that the birds are dying; they've been replaced by dragonkin. After many years, I have a sizable adult population of yeric wyverns. Tough to breed, and also tough to fight off, when in packs. They will serve my militia dwarves well enough, and have lifespans in the hundreds of years.

I also currently have a moody blacksmith, apparently demanding things he cannot have. There is a gremlin in the fortress, who is quite unhappy. I don't know why, though, becuase I never removed the [PET] tag from them, so Dfusion hasn't fully affected them as it has the dingo people. Speaking of whom, I never did set them to require food and drink, so the crazy ones are still wandering around. So is the crazy wolverine man; the last of his kind to have been domesticated. I am unable to assign the other captured animal-people for training, for whatever reason. How annoying. I've caught some bobcat people to boot. My fortress is turning into a furry zoo...

I also traded away 55k☼ worth of goods to the paklaran caravan in return for a fraction of that. Just to up my exported wealth a bit.
Time to pop open the caverns and clear out the forgotten beasts that have accumulated over the years!

[edit]

Well, shit. Before I could get the traps set up, one of the FBs made it inside. The militia engaged it, but it was a web spinner. The entire militia got tied up in the same mess of webs, including the rangers, who apparently forgot to bring their ammunition. The entire ordeal lasted a week or so, with this mass of dwarves and war beasts packed tightly into a tiny hallway, attempting to free themselves from the webs, which the beast never stopped throwing out at them. There was zero melee combat the entire time; neither the beast nor my troops would slap each other, and only a few rangers brought bolts to fire form behind a fortification. I quickly got fed up of this, and decided to have my miners drop the roof on the cheeky bastard's head. It worked spectacularly, and despite the cave-in in such tight quarters, nobody but the web-spitting, bloated humanoid made of charcoal was killed. The miner who dropped the roof broke his leg, though. Doctors, to the cavern entrances!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:13:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27136 on: January 01, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

@Loud Whispers-

Amazing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27137 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:07 pm »

At last, overseer is working for Silentthunders. Pics mandatory!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I shed a single tear looking through these pictures. How old is that fort, I must ask?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27138 on: January 02, 2013, 01:21:10 am »

-snip-
I shed a single tear looking through these pictures. How old is that fort, I must ask?
It's a young one! Only about half a decade old. Got that much done by putting everyone onto the masonry team. Or farming. Or both. Still not finished. There's 100zlvls of space to build up, I plan to build to the skies.

-snip-
It's...it's so beautiful.

How big is the embark space? 3x3? 4x4?
4x4. Still deciding on whether I should focus on building up or carving down... Thanks! This has been my most successful Fort yet, so I tend to put more effort into it than most my other Forts. Squares are rare there ^_^

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27139 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:56 am »

Having lots of room up is always fun (in both senses). It provides lots of room for towers that touch the sky or giant middle fingers.

I like that citadel-esque design and I wanted to get around to building one like it but I never did. I'd like to see how you develop that fort!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27140 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:05 am »

A goblin siege came around and somehow managed to kill more than half of my military, including the very popular mayor, and a few civilians that happened to be outside. The population wasn't very happy before and now everybody is killing eachother inside a giant tantrum spiral.

Some children went berserk in the meeting area... I sent in the last functional squad of soldiers to help. Sadly, I overlooked the fact that some of the children in that hellhole were their own. So basically it's well trained and armored soldiers against their own children. Of course the children don't stand a chance, but most of the soldiers are throwing tantrums as well now. So... the only dwarves that might have been able to help are in the single most populated area and kill everything on sight. It's basically the definition of Fun.

It's madness, but I won't give up this time - this is Dwarf Fortress as I learned to love it!

[edit]
Just as a finished typing this, the most badass miner went berserk. I knew, a mining pick can do some damage in skilled hands, but this one surprised me. He got 3 of the 5 remaining militia before going down with every bone in his body broken by silver war hammers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:14:33 am by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #27141 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:35 am »

I've just embarked in a haunted biome and butchered the pack animals, in this case two horses, I was attacked by their skin, which I'd seen before and expected, but once they were put down and tanned to death, I proceeded to sheer my sheep, only to be attacked by the risen wool xD which I'd never experienced before. My squad are currently making their way sort them out, I see a very itchy fight brewing....
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27142 on: January 02, 2013, 08:48:32 am »

I don't suppose we could nominate Loud Whispers' Silentthunders as "Most Awesome-Looking Fortress Ever"?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27143 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:05 am »

I've just embarked in a haunted biome and butchered the pack animals, in this case two horses, I was attacked by their skin, which I'd seen before and expected, but once they were put down and tanned to death, I proceeded to sheer my sheep, only to be attacked by the risen wool xD which I'd never experienced before. My squad are currently making their way sort them out, I see a very itchy fight brewing....
Must be worse than wooly underwear!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27144 on: January 02, 2013, 11:07:24 am »

Is that adamantine atop the brass tower? (Please tell me it's microcline)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27145 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »

Just did a reclaim.  There are tonnes of goblins hanging about.  It is v.31.  An ambush appeared.  A number of dwarves were killed.  For no apparent reason, the goblins ran for it.  The next thing I knew, someone triggered my water trap--I don't know who, or why or how.  End result, I had a sudden flood and could not remember which lever triggered the trap in the first place.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27146 on: January 02, 2013, 06:46:04 pm »

Capuchins invaded my Trade Depot and started running off with all my goodies.

I sent my lone militia dwarf to deal with them.  Being extremely agile, he ran them all down and proceeded to instruct the capuchins as to why stealing my stuff is a bad idea (they should have asked the kobolds!).

He hacked one monkey's leg off and it flew 20 tiles across the river nearby.  That'll teach em.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27147 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:19 am »

Is that adamantine atop the brass tower? (Please tell me it's microcline)
No microcline, it's adamantine :D
Also got an artifact limestone door on top. Velasiv. This Fort's first artifact.

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27148 on: January 03, 2013, 05:58:05 am »

Just got my fourth legendary woodcrafter  ::) two of which are children.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27149 on: January 03, 2013, 08:24:26 am »

I started with the caves in my fort, and I'm starting to build outside buildings(Usually lots of barracks :P)
Making my giant tower of stockpiles lol
Mining more stuff
As I had found no iron, silver, copper and other stuff, I use gold and gold crafts to trade for weapons, armor and tools

I think I find trading very amusing ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 ... 3842