Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1807 1808 [1809] 1810 1811 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120978 times)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27120 on: December 31, 2012, 02:54:22 am »

Soooo, everyone died from thirst. Apparently they didn't like my booze and the brook froze over during the first winter.
Three dwarves survived: 2 insane children and a surprisingly resilient male dwarf.
http://hpics.li/970e5ec
I think I'll rename him and make him king of all dwarves.

Scratch that: he jumped away from the spinning basalt. Nothing was heard of him since.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:42:53 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27121 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:09 am »

The Worst Tantrum Spiral. Everything is great. Every 89 (Highest amount I ever had) has a Royal Bedroom. Suddenly the baroness decides that she is pissed about pretenious rooms. She kills the mayor. Mayor's wife kills my Legendary Armorer/Weaponsmith/Metalsmith. EVERYONE KILLS EACH OTHER.

Did the baroness at least die too?

A.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27122 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:12 am »

Spring brings the elven caravan, and since they have been nice enough in the past to provide us with a female giant black mamba, we have kept civil relations with them.

This has finally paid off, since this spring they bring along a male giant black mamba. Only took them 3 years, but now we have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

only much, much bigger.

Eggs and caged snakes to "gift" invaders with coming up soon!

Summer brings humans, and their diplomat.

Oh boy. He got to stand around outside until he detected 5 goblin ambushes for me, leading to a merry chase around the lowest part of the hillside.

More prisoners! Yay! And they killed the clown diplomat for me, after chasing him around and trying to hit him for 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:38:40 am by Lich180 »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27123 on: December 31, 2012, 12:39:48 pm »

Not much happening in Shadeswords.  Playing with extended "fun" defenses.  Drop pits and ditches to the south and southwest for channeling attacks.  A circular mine cart track three levels down for potentially dropping invaders into.  Thinking about tapping the aquifer for a moat to the northeast to flood part of the "serene" plain. 

Digging a pit opened into one of the caverns and the mason trying to fix the hole got attacked by a giant olm.  When a few axe dwarves arrived to help out they found the mason pounding on the olm with his iron shield and copper crossbow (out of bolts).  (Most of the reserve military is tasked with masonry, mechanics, and hauling when off duty - but they retain uniform, armor, and weapons.)

The grizzly bear rooms at a few entrances proved fairly effective in dealing with kobold and goblin infiltrators.  However, two rooms of bears got killed when goblin ambush teams turned up instead.  Need many more bears, or more patrols around in case they need help dealing with intruders.

The garrison is now fully outfitted in steel armor - all the way down to the reservist units.  About 12 squads of full-time military at this point with four marksdwarf squads and the rest melee troops.  Enough to have garrisons and patrol squads for both Castle Brass and the Kill Box entrance to the main fortress.

The iron armor that has been retired out is being traded to the dwarven caravan.  Working now to reduce a backlog of extra livestock (limited pasture here in the desert) and the attendant excess of hooves, bones, and skulls).  A few more artifact soft-metal edged weapons are in weapon traps in the approach tunnels.  Including a nice gold menacing spike.

The goblin army put in an appearance for the first time in over two years.   Five squads of cavalry and three units of support monsters (184 invaders at once).  One squad loitered outside and then retreated.  Most of the other four came down to the Kill Box to visit while the Castle Brass garrison sortied to deal with some stragglers and chase the fifth squad.  Carnage below ground as traps and a series of shots from the mine cart shotgun broke the assault.  The marksdwarves finished off the rest before the melee squads could get involved. 

The haulers have spent the past two months doing nothing but hauling goblinite and recovered bolts, dumping corpses, and reloading the mine carts.  Fortress kitchens are also restocked with meat; cave croc, elk bird, and some giant olm.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27124 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

I love this game. "Roughtowers the Battles of Death" has had an interesting ambush happen and a new hero rise out of it. A goblin axeman ambush jumped some of my dwarves while they were at the outer gate. Most of the goblins ran south to chase someone but one turned to the people they bumped in to. They chose the absolute WORST pair of dwarves to attack. One was a very skilled hunter with a very decorated crossbow (in a literal and abstract sense: it had a lot of bone and shell decorations along with 21 dead animals and a dead goblin to its name) and our best animal trainer... With 4 war mastiffs and a hunting hound following him, all of them have yet to be assigned a dwarf. This goblin is (literally) DOGPILED by these beasts and is being ripped at from all sides while being shot with bone bolts. The animal trainer ran for it but the hunter stood her ground and peppered this goblin. The goblin died and the dogs ran to follow their trainer, but the hunter is still outside.

Then she sees another sight: one of our currently untrained and unarmed soldiers running from a pack of archers far behind with a lasher right behind him. She lets off one bolt and lodges it in the goblin's stomach, then another into its head and kills it. This kill allowed a good 10 dwarves to run by and get into the safety of the fort without fear. Then another lasher and axeman come up from the south. The lasher closes the distance and strikes but misses. The hunter counterattacks and misses. Then the hunter fires a bolt point-blank into his gut and he starts to drag himself away, the bolt still lodged in his gut.

Then the axeman steps up to the plate with his copper axe. The hunter puts another bolt into the lasher's gut and the axeman thinks twice and runs like hell. She fires yet again at the lasher and realizes it was her last bolt, then she turns and runs for cover from the likely pissed archers coming for her.

...But the archers ignore her AND the unarmed soldier, and instead run for the map edge and leave. This hunter deserves a good tomb and a slab when she dies. She saved easily 10 dwarves from the ambushes, killed one, hurt another axeman off-screen enough that he bailed from the fight, and mortally wounded another. All of this with wolf bone bolts of varying quality, from wolves she hunted herself.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27125 on: December 31, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »

Well a few goblins just ambushed the king's consort lead by, of all things, an elf recruit. He tackled the consort into a pond and broke one of his hands including two individual fingers in addition to the hand on the whole.

The consort is currently unconscious underwater and probably gonna die, the military is mobilizing to destroy this threat.

Whatever this elf is he is unnatural, violent, cruel, and I'm fairly sure I saw him stomp on a flower after he climbed out of the pond.

Edit: Yeah after he climbed out he reached in and punched the consort in the face until he shattered the skull and drove chunks into the consort's brain.

Edit #2: The military has made a surprising comeback. They've broken all four of the elf's limbs, chopped off both a goblins feet, and broken spines are probably going to become the new military gambling currency at this rate thanks to the queen and her silver flail. The elf just died by hammer blows to the thin tree hugging skull. I wonder if we could get the butcher to take him, meat from such an unusual (if pathetic) creature would defiantly make a hearty post-battle feast.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:23:09 pm by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27126 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:11 pm »

Well a few goblins just ambushed the king's consort lead by, of all things, an elf recruit. He tackled the consort into a pond and broke one of his hands including two individual fingers in addition to the hand on the whole.

The consort is currently unconscious underwater and probably gonna die, the military is mobilizing to destroy this threat.

Whatever this elf is he is unnatural, violent, cruel, and I'm fairly sure I saw him stomp on a flower after he climbed out of the pond.

Edit: Yeah after he climbed out he reached in and punched the consort in the face until he shattered the skull and drove chunks into the consort's brain.
CACAME IS BACK

Better hide. He's coming for the dwarves this time.

Kurskovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27127 on: January 01, 2013, 07:10:53 am »

Once again I overshot with my designs, building a grand fortress with porcelain paved streets and bridges over magnificent caverns without anything for the people themselves.

Mistem Morulust was the Hammerer of Geartrailed, he had immigrated with some skill with a hammer, little military experience and apparently no empathy whatsoever.

It started with a few tantrums, and it was fine until someone stomped a pet cat. I watched in awe as Mistem strode into the dining hall and crumpled the perpetrator. I don't quite understand the practicality of a hammerer; because that incident broke the people of Geartrailed. pretty soon the opulent halls were being littered with broken teeth, the military was chasing beserk dwarves and someone was making a chair out of their child.

Not Mistem though, he had a job to do, for months he was wading through chaos crossing names off his ever expanding list, even in later months when a pack of trolls had slipped into the fortress he would still find his marks before the trolls could. He gained the title "the Lightening of Eviscerating" after killing more than 30 of his kin. Oddly he was never unhappy.

I just abandoned that fort when Mistem was killed by a Troll, I realised that he was all I was there for.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27128 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:18 am »

Dwarven caravan was scuttled by goblin ambushers, they didn't suffer many losses since my militia was scrambled to the site of attack but the merchants decided to bail out.

Caught every single one of the goblins responsible for the human clown diplomat's demise in cages, and am constructing a pit to drop them in. Menacing steel upright spikes will impale them at the bottom, then marksdwarves or snakes will finish the job.

Got a ton of goblinite to process, and it should keep us busy for quite a while.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27129 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:27 am »

The Bronzemark has fallen... but not to goblins, dragons, undeads, tantrums or surplus magma.

It was a kernal error that required a system restore. :(
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27130 on: January 01, 2013, 04:24:05 pm »

Wow, the game is just pushing for a collapse of the fort. All of my soldiers became pissed because I accidentally made them drop all of their clothes for an incomplete uniform and one goes berserk. She is killed and another goes berserk. He's killed and now some are going stark raving mad and a LOT of people are unhappy. Then a moody weaponsmith makes a coarse iron battle axe called "the Dour Hour."

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27131 on: January 01, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »

Some migrants have arrived.

Well, okay, it's only the first migrant wave, and I haven't been building up much wealth, so it's only three dwarves, with the usual variety of mostly useless skills, so I'll just assign them some random unimportant tasks whilst I...

wait a minute.

The Kills of Kumil Oltarngotol

One Thousand Twenty-Five Kills

One thousand twenty-five goblins (m) in Paintednightmare

...how? His only weapon skill is Competent Maceman, I've had Legendary warriors with a fraction that many kills!

Hold on, he does have one 'Great' skill... Great Brewer.

Okaaay, I'll just reassign him safely away from the still then.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27132 on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »

Those goblins are too weak for the strength of true dwarven ale! :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27133 on: January 01, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »

At last, overseer is working for Silentthunders. Pics mandatory!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27134 on: January 01, 2013, 10:47:35 pm »

At last, overseer is working for Silentthunders. Pics mandatory!

It's...it's so beautiful.

How big is the embark space? 3x3? 4x4?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 1807 1808 [1809] 1810 1811 ... 3842